• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT6| Where 6 Comes Before 5 (No PQ or P4U spoilers!)

"This world mandates a give-and-take system..."-Elizabeth

Trish?

Is that you?

Elizabeth even serves as the game's nurse.

Everyone's favorite healer
Trish.%28P2%29.full.915503.jpg

CorvoSol

Q so good. Posting between Q seshs to share this love with you guys. What a year! Played the whole Persona series for the first time this year. So good.

Well in terms of elements, I think multiple physical attacks are good. In P4 you get slime resist phys at below level 10 and a ton of monsters are suddenly a lot less threatening (I think this is bad). Contrarian King might actually be doable, though usually I just beat Kanji's dungeon for the most part and wreck him later.

For the other elements, the only experience I have is from DDS games and Nocturne, where the ailments are different types. Problem is that by lategame lots of the ailments are nulled or something. Also in DDS, the re-addition of earth makes it so it's not just fire vs ice and wind vs elec. Quite a few times I could just guess if the enemy is weak to fire, then it uses ice or vice versa, and same with wind and elec, but earth screws that up.

But I personally don't want tons of elements. Especially if it becomes very difficult to cover all of them. I think P2 had a lot, or something like that.

Also something else, but Kaguya, Thanatos, and Orpheus Telos have unique abilities. So do other personas have them too, or just them since they are DLC?

Question got buried due to waifu talk.

Since others are reporting some some "significant" extra room in the case will one of the New 3DS LL's fit inside? I know they're bigger but not by how much.

PK Gaming

The sub persona concept is AMAZING, it needs to be a mainstay in the series for sure.

Q so good. Posting between Q seshs to share this love with you guys. What a year! Played the whole Persona series for the first time this year. So good.

Glad to have you back man, looking forward to your impressions!

The sub persona concept is AMAZING, it needs to be a mainstay in the series for sure.

Glad to have you back man, looking forward to your impressions!

I might have mentioned it before, but I personally like the idea that your allies are not inferior to the MC in most ways by mid-end game. Even at the beginning your MC is basically covering what your allies cannot do due to lack of diversity for them.

I only played vanilla P4 and for the most part the only way they're superior is because of stats, and basically doing things that you don't want your MC to waste time doing (buffing, healing, hitting weaknesses if they exist). But he can do them just as well as them, for the most part.

For dungeon crawling if you have victory cry or dont care about SP issues then your allies can be somewhat useless since you can hit most weaknesses alone. For bosses, the main character has diversity and can switch personas so the enemy's attacks are resisted, while dealing good damage or support. Plus he gets debilitate and hassou tobi endgame.

In other words, for the most part 4 MCs is a ton better, which is basically what PQ does. I would like them to have allies that are just as good as the MC (sub personas) or excel/are unique in some ways (like having spells such as burning petals or shield of justice or dragon hustle) in the future.

Since others are reporting some some "significant" extra room in the case will one of the New 3DS LL's fit inside? I know they're bigger but not by how much.

According to Wikipedia, there's not much of a size difference. You should be good.

Wikipedia said:
Nintendo 3DS XL:
Width: 156 mm (6.1 in)
Height: 93 mm (3.7 in)
Depth: 22 mm (0.87 in)

New Nintendo 3DS XL:
Width: 160 mm (6.3 in)
Height: 93.5 mm (3.68 in)
Depth: 21.5 mm (0.85 in)

Gazoinks

I might have mentioned it before, but I personally like the idea that your allies are not inferior to the MC in most ways by mid-end game. Even at the beginning your MC is basically covering what your allies cannot do due to lack of diversity for them.

I only played vanilla P4 and for the most part the only way they're superior is because of stats, and basically doing things that you don't want your MC to waste time doing (buffing, healing, hitting weaknesses if they exist). But he can do them just as well as them, for the most part.

For dungeon crawling if you have victory cry or dont care about SP issues then your allies can be somewhat useless since you can hit most weaknesses alone. For bosses, the main character has diversity and can switch personas so the enemy's attacks are resisted, while dealing good damage or support. Plus he gets debilitate and hassou tobi endgame.

In other words, for the most part 4 MCs is a ton better, which is basically what PQ does. I would like them to have allies that are just as good as the MC (sub personas) or excel/are unique in some ways (like having spells such as burning petals or shield of justice or dragon hustle) in the future.

In Persona 1 and 2, everyone could switch Personas freely. Something I kind of want them to bring back, though this Sub-persona thing is pretty cool. Hope it makes another appearance at some point in the series.

In Persona 1 and 2, everyone could switch Personas freely. Something I kind of want them to bring back, though this Sub-persona thing is pretty cool. Hope it makes another appearance at some point in the series.

Oh. Wonder why they took it out. I guess they could possibly bring it back in 5, but in 3 and 4 the excuse is that the MCs are Wild Cards right? And the average persona user can only use 1 persona. I don't know much about P1 and 2 so I don't really know if they ever addressed why everyone can switch (or on the other hand i can't really think of a reason why to change it going from 2 to 3)

Also, what's the difference between switching personas freely vs Sub personas?

Gazoinks

Oh. Wonder why they took it out. I guess they could possibly bring it back in 5, but in 3 and 4 the excuse is that the MCs are Wild Cards right? And the average persona user can only use 1 persona. I don't know much about P1 and 2 so I don't really know if they ever addressed why everyone can switch (or on the other hand i can't really think of a reason why to change it)

Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think there was ever a real explanation for it. Just one of the things that fell by the wayside in the big switch from 2 to 3. Probably to make the game more centered around the MC.

Well, in P1 and 2 everyone was like the MCs in 3 and 4; they completely switched their Personae. Sub-personae are additional Personae you can switch between that give you stat boosts and extra abilities, but you can't switch your main Persona.

Sophia

Oh. Wonder why they took it out. I guess they could possibly bring it back in 5, but in 3 and 4 the excuse is that the MCs are Wild Cards right? And the average persona user can only use 1 persona. I don't know much about P1 and 2 so I don't really know if they ever addressed why everyone can switch (or on the other hand i can't really think of a reason why to change it going from 2 to 3)

There isn't really much of a difference, honestly. Persona Q's system of one Main and one Sub isn't terribly different from how Persona 1 let every member of the party carry three Personas and switch between them at any time.

The only difference is that Persona 1's system lets you switch in battle (because only one is active at a time) where as Persona Q has no switching because both are active.

Caladrius

How does this work.

Length from bottom of lower half to top of the upper half.

I recall P2 having an earth elemental magic, cant recall the name of it without looking it up though.

Wouldnt mind Water if they could keep it unique from Ice like FF tries to do.

Earth magic for whatever reason has different names like Garu/Zan do. Tera for Digital Devil Saga, and as Sophia said, Magna for P1/P2.

I'd like to bring back Water and Earth from P1&2, but don't know how likely that is. The phys split from P3 definitely needs to come back though.

Persona 2 has Earth (Magma) and Water (Aqua) spells. It also technically has Nuclear spells, but that would be totally redundant as those are basically Almighty spells today.

Definitely. the removal of separate Physical skills really hurt Persona 4 and I'm glad to see they're back in Persona Q.

I'm personally not too hot on the Physical split, though I'm at a loss as to what to do to make it more complex.

Maybe a set of elemental physical skills, kind of like how Almighty has attacks that work off of either Magic or Strength/Dexterity.

NichM

Banned
There isn't really much of a difference, honestly. Persona Q's system of one Main and one Sub isn't terribly different from how Persona 1 let every member of the party carry three Personas and switch between them at any time.

The older games also meant that when you switched, all of the Persona-related aspects changed, not just the skill set. Stats, resistances, everything. With the sub-Persona setup, the character's weaknesses and resistances, base stats, and base skills all remain the same, and the sub-Persona just contributes some extra stuff on top of that.

So after spending close to 2 hours with PQ, I must say this game is quite excellent. Might be because I love EO's gameplay and map drawing, but the game is a blast.

Tip to newcomers: beware of Fysis Oikein Eidolons.

Sophia

The older games also meant that when you switched, all of the Persona-related aspects changed, not just the skill set. Stats, resistances, everything. With the sub-Persona setup, the character's weaknesses and resistances, base stats, and base skills all remain the same, and the sub-Persona just contributes some extra stuff on top of that.

Yeah there's that. Persona Q has way too many characters where as Persona 1 locks you into a preset party of five after the route choice. So they probably felt it was better if you switched party members for resistances versus merely switching Personas.

If you ask me, they hit a pretty good balance in Persona Q between customization and party members being unique.

Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think there was ever a real explanation for it. Just one of the things that fell by the wayside in the big switch from 2 to 3. Probably to make the game more centered around the MC.

Well, in P1 and 2 everyone was like the MCs in 3 and 4; they completely switched their Personae. Sub-personae are additional Personae you can switch between that give you stat boosts and extra abilities, but you can't switch your main Persona.

The only difference is that Persona 1's system lets you switch in battle (because only one is active at a time) where as Persona Q has no switching because both are active.

Ok thanks. I've never played either, never really seen anything either. The only 'gameplay' I've seen was in the middle of battle, Mark can dance crazy for negotiations? I've heard that one of the games was extremely easy, the encounter rate was really high, and basically you auto-battle with fusion spells through mobs.

Speaking of which, would anybody like fusion/co-op spells again? The only real problem I had with it was, as amusing as it may have initially been, that armageddon totally destroys everything that is not an extra boss. Plus some of them are pretty garbage. I thought the idea was pretty cool.

Also, I'm just looking at tumblr since I don't have the game, and the interactions seem really good. Just looking at the names people have (mainly for Narukami) is actually somewhat musing.

Sophia

Ok thanks. I've never played either, never really seen anything either. The only 'gameplay' I've seen was in the middle of battle, Mark can dance crazy for negotiations? I've heard that one of the games was extremely easy, the encounter rate was really high, and basically you auto-battle with fusion spells through mobs.

Speaking of which, would anybody like fusion/co-op spells again? The only real problem I had with it was, as amusing as it may have initially been, that armageddon totally destroys everything that is not an extra boss. Plus some of them are pretty garbage. I thought the idea was pretty cool.

Ahaha, you're mixing up Persona 1 and Persona 2, which are actually pretty different from each other. Persona 1 is much closer to Persona Q in style, although nowhere near as polished. First person dungeons, round based combat, five player parties, and a similar (but not identical, as noted by Nich) system with sub personas. "Mark Danced Crazy" is from Persona 1.

Persona 2 is the game with fusion spells being a staple of it's combat system, and the PSP port of Innocent Sin was the one that was far too easy and far too high of an encounter rate. The original PS1 version of Persona 2 isn't anywhere near that bad. Persona 2 also allows freely switching Persona, as you can basically carry around all of them at once and they're not assigned a main/sub designation like in Persona 1 and Persona Q.

Both games had negotiations tho, which Persona Q lacks, and those are a love it or hate it deal.

Nimby

Banned
If you never played EO I would definitely not recommend going to Risky right away. If you pick any other mode you can change the difficulty in game, not with risky though.

Is it comparable to SMT4 in anyway in terms of difficulty? Hopefully the difficulty is consistent.

Meia

Wait. Waitwaitwait. This isn't a regular 3DS case, it IS a 3ds XL/LL case. Is it not billed as such in the LE or something? Cause the one I imported when it first came out over there was listed as such, and it is identical to the one in the CE.

Was wondering why people were complaining about the 3ds moving around inside. Now it makes sense...

Ahaha, you're mixing up Persona 1 and Persona 2, which are actually pretty different from each other. Persona 1 is much closer to Persona Q in style, although nowhere near as polished. First person dungeons, round based combat, five player parties, and a similar (but not identical, as noted by Nich) system with sub personas. "Mark Danced Crazy" is from Persona 1.

Persona 2 is the game with fusion spells being a staple of it's combat system, and the PSP port of Innocent Sin was the one that was far too easy and far too high of an encounter rate. The original PS1 version of Persona 2 isn't anywhere near that bad.

Both games had negotiations tho, which Persona Q lacks, and those are a love it or hate it deal.

Whoops my bad. Thought those games had similar systems. I played Nocturne, and negotiations were annoying at times. Some of them were rather amusing, but in terms of actually getting the demons to join you it would be a pain sometimes. I would go up to a demon and say something which it didn't like, say the other option to the same type of demon later, and realize afterwards that at the time it was not possible for me to recruit it. Though it's nice that, because the demons have dialogue, they kind of have character to them. In Persona they say a couple lines when you fuse one and that's pretty much all.

I don't even have PQ and it's distracting me :p . I suppose that's what happens when a good game that you're somewhat hyped for releases.

FluxWaveZ

Wait. Waitwaitwait. This isn't a regular 3DS case, it IS a 3ds XL/LL case. Is it not billed as such in the LE or something? Cause the one I imported when it first came out over there was listed as such, and it is identical to the one in the CE.

Was wondering why people were complaining about the 3ds moving around inside. Now it makes sense...

Nah, having just opened my case to see what the deal is myself, there is extra space inside where a 3DS XL can move around in. Doesn't seem too bad, but I'll stick to my other XL case which doesn't have that room inside. PQ's Premium Edition case has always been billed as an XL case.

Oh, also, I think that room is there so one can store more accessories within, like a charger. With those contained inside, the room for the XL itself to shuffle around in would probably be reduced.

Is it comparable to SMT4 in anyway in terms of difficulty? Hopefully the difficulty is consistent.

Hmm two different games really. People said SMTIV was hard, I never thought so. This is EO pretty much, the "Dark Souls" of DRPGS aha. Game is merciless if you don't play smart, or if you aren't careful about having a proper stock of items, armor etc. And I cannot stress it enough DO NOT attempt to fight FOEs if you aren't leveled up enough. Also ALWAYS have a labyrinth escape item on you, ALWAYS.

Sophia

Whoops my bad. Thought those games had similar systems. I played Nocturne, and negotiations were annoying at times. Some of them were rather amusing, but in terms of actually getting the demons to join you it would be a pain sometimes. I would go up to a demon and say something which it didn't like, say the other option to the same type of demon later, and realize afterwards that at the time it was not possible for me to recruit it. Though it's nice that, because the demons have dialogue, they kind of have character to them. In Persona they say a couple lines when you fuse one and that's pretty much all.

I don't even have PQ and it's distracting me :p . I suppose that's what happens when a good game that you're somewhat hyped for releases.

.... if you found Nocturne's negotiations annoying, the negotiation system in Persona 2 would make you scream in horror. In most SMT games with negotiations (including Persona 1) successful negotiations means you get the demon right then and there.

In Persona 2, you had to repeatedly negotiate with demons to get tarot cards to trade in for new Personas.

It is about as tedious as it sounds.

Not sure if I can pin one thing down, but I just really like her internal struggle w/ Risette. Plus, I've been playing a lot of Valkyria Chronicles on Steam and I may be blending some characters together.

n7jIPr0.png

FOR SOME REASON.

Every non-watercolor art for those characters is rough. I don't know why Sega and others keep trying to divorce the look from the rest of that series so often given the results.

.... if you found Nocturne's negotiations annoying, the negotiation system in Persona 2 would make you scream in horror. In most SMT games with negotiations (including Persona 1) successful negotiations means you get the demon right then and there.

In Persona 2, you had to repeatedly negotiate with demons to get tarot cards to trade in for new Personas.

It is about as tedious as it sounds.

Dang. That sounds pretty bad. Thought I heard about grinding for tarot cards or something like that, this explains it.

Stage Yuki and Chie nailed their respective looks.
http://i5.minus.com/ig616peZYu6vF.png[IMG]

Sorry for the bad edit, but this was all I could think of upon seeing the expression on Rise's face.[/QUOTE]Super relevant today!
[quote][IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibnoY7T80zopTF.png

Happy Tuesday everyone! May we have many more fun Tuesdays soon.

PK Gaming

It was for the first two games. :|

Sorta. Sub Personas can be used simultaneously with main Personas, which is the key thing for me. Characters gain more skills, but their stats/resistances/weaknesses are preserved, which gives each character their own identity.

It's a longshot, but I hope a system of that kind finds itself in Persona 5.

Top Bottom