• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

What do you guys think?

I think that porting one game to another platform is not a simple task, and can actually do more harm than good depending on engine, development resources and overall ROI. You would not see as much focused publicity if it were a multiplatform release (SCEJ conference, PlayStation Experience...) and, as you suggest, the majority of fans who would get Persona 5 are most likely on PS3/PS4 as opposed to X360/XONE.

Also, as atlusprime suggests, the primary market for the game isn't hot on Microsoft consoles at all, which goes back to my first point.

wmlk

Honestly, I wonder why it's PS exclusive*. Sure, Persona games are historically exclusive to one platform (including the remakes, right?), but does a Persona game really need to be? Atlus has clearly demonstrated that they can/will do a multi-plat game (Catherine, Arena/Ultimax), and I'll argue that the hardcore "niche" Persona audience isn't quite so niche anymore.

Now, I'll admit the idea that the fanbase is large enough to support a mainline Persona game on multiple systems is subjective at best. The closest analog to consider is probably how Catherine performed. As far as I know, it didn't exactly light the charts on fire but it did well enough— and that was a new, oddball, Japanese IP! With the dearth of (J)RPGs on all consoles in the near future, I think going multi platform would have been killer for Persona 5. Maybe Certainly not in Japan, but I'm sure it would have a global impact.

What do you guys think?
Gimme dat red PS4 Persona bundle SONY PLS

*This entire line of thinking completely hinges on whether or not Sony is funding the PS4 version. That... complicates things.

Maybe porting to XBOX One is more resource-intensive than we think? Especially for a relatively small company like Atlus?

Also, this might be kind of controversial, but I'm of the belief that making games multiplatform doesn't always result in better sales. I think people who play games are some of the most entitled and opinionated people for respective consoles and companies. I think there's some buzz that it's Sony exclusive, and not on Microsoft's systems. Sony is capitalizing on that themselves. This ultimately hurt FFXIII since there was a combination of it not being PS3 exclusive, and resources were spent on making the game multiplatform. SE themselves admitted that this ended up affecting the overall quality of the game.

Not to mention that the XBOX One install base couldn't be further from the Persona audience.

I think that porting one game to another platform is not a simple task, and can actually do more harm than good depending on engine, development resources and overall ROI.
I wish I would've touched upon this in my initial post. This is very true. And it's something that we can only speculate on. It's probably why the games have been exclusive in the past. However, they're porting it from PS3 to PS4. That can't be a simple job, which strikes me as odd— unless Sony is lending a hand, of course.

IDK, you tell me:
Mr. prime pls
Maybe Certainly not in Japan, but I'm sure it would have a global impact.

Messiah

If no one's going to defend P3's cutscenes, I'll do it. I like the disjointed surrealism they brought to the atmosphere and thought they added a lot to the game, particularly the intro one and the awakening of Orpheus.

I don't remember any of P4's cutscenes having any noteworthy effect on me.

You're not alone. Even though the quality of the animated scenes was not top notch, I think they captured the atmosphere of P3 really well and I certainly enjoyed watching them.
Also I really like the P3 and P3P openings.

Edit: Skipping through the scenes on youtube. Wow, there are way more than I remembered.

FluxWaveZ

However, they're porting it from PS3 to PS4. That can't be a simple job, which strikes me as odd— unless Sony is lending a hand, of course.

See:
“Sega released Yakuza at the PlayStation 4’s launch, so they have some know-how when it comes to making software for the current generation consoles, which I believe we can share as needed,” says Sugino.

He continues, “Compared to Atlus, Sega are on a much bigger scale [as developers], and our respective know-how is completely different. They’re much more advanced than us when it comes to tools and middleware.”

Sugino also explains that if you look at the bigger picture, the Sega Sammy group has various small companies within it, all with their own expertise; so if Atlus felt the need to get something done a certain way, they could always ask Sega Sammy.

If no one's going to defend P3's cutscenes, I'll do it. I like the disjointed surrealism they brought to the atmosphere and thought they added a lot to the game, particularly the intro one and the awakening of Orpheus.

I totally agree with you.

And I even like their designs, although the bad quality of animation.

I honestly found the first two P3 cutscenes to be pretty good. The cutscenes from P4 were almost all impressive (not sure about the P4G ones yet). But honestly, I thought the ones from The Answer were the best. (save for the one at the very end. way to short and nothing)

Andrefpvs

IDK, you tell me:
zlxu8ltgo0d020v1am0y.jpg

I just laughed so hard.

I completely forgot about SEGA haha. Well then. I am out of ammunition. I don't see myself getting an Xbox One nor do I have any interest in PC gaming, so the decision for exclusivity won't impact me. It is a bit of a drag for those who will be affected.

But do those people even exist? Idea: Schrödinger's theory would be fun to explore in a Persona game as a parallel academic material. :p

LX_Theo

Banned
I completely forgot about SEGA haha. Well then. I am out of ammunition. I don't see myself getting an Xbox One nor do I have any interest in PC gaming, so the decision for exclusivity won't impact me. It is a bit of a drag for those who will be affected.

But do those people even exist? Idea: Schrödinger's theory would be fun to explore in a Persona game as a parallel academic material. :p
If anyone actually expected it to be on other systems, then they might have been asking for disappointment.

Levito

Banned
So looking at wikipedia, it looks like Persona 4 came out on the PS2 exactly 6 years ago today in North America!

That time, it flies.

If anyone actually expected it to be on other systems, then they might have been asking for disappointment.

I don't understand this line of thinking. The people who are expecting the new installment know where and how they'll be playing it. I'm talking about reaching a wider audience, going beyond the current niche one. There's so much room to grow! I dunno, I just think that it's a curious subject, more than anything. *shrug*

Plus, y'all are jumping the gun on this Xbox One thing. What about Wii U lolnope, I mean PC? Valkyria Chronicles says hello!

So looking at wikipedia, it looks like Persona 4 came out on the PS2 exactly 6 years ago today in North America!
Neato, happy birthday NA version of P4. Your days of resting are finally on the horizon. Soon, eternal slumber.

FluxWaveZ

I'm talking about reaching a wider audience, going beyond the current niche one. There's so much room to grow! I dunno, I just think that it's a curious subject, more than anything. *shrug*

Persona 5 would certainly be available for more people if it were on the Xbox One (or PC, or Wii U), but there's also the fact that the PS3/PS4 userbase worldwide is about 90-100 million large, so it's not like the game would have a larger audience to reach within its own platforms. Focusing on a few platforms (especially where the potential new audience could be concentrated) really can be better than just shotgunning it. Sometimes pursuing a wider audience isn't worth the effort when a lot of that audience wouldn't be receptive to that kind of game regardless.

Well, not like I'm part of their marketing team. I'm all for as many people being able to play as possible.

LX_Theo

Banned
I don't understand this line of thinking. The people who are expecting the new installment know where and how they'll be playing it. I'm talking about reaching a wider audience, going beyond the current niche one. There's so much room to grow! I dunno, I just think that it's a curious subject, more than anything. *shrug*

Plus, y'all are jumping the gun on this Xbox One thing. What about Wii U lolnope, I mean PC? Valkyria Chronicles says hello!
If P5 gets ported to the Xbox One, I'd eat a hat (or as close to that as humanely possible).

PC is possible down the line, but I'd imagine it'd be the extended version aka Golden that gets a release beyond these two systems.

PK Gaming

I'm playing the P3 side, so I have no idea what his PQ personality is like. Been looking for youtube vids, but everyone seems to be playing P3 side on there. Could you describe what his personality is like at all? Is he sarcastic or something, or is he just spaced out?

He's kind and reserved, but also apathetic to a point where it deserves mention. He can be a bit spacey in that his reaction to certain events or shadows sometimes differ from the norm, but he's still pretty sharp. He sometimes says things that are silly without realizing it. Unlike Yu, he doesn't seem to be regarded as a strict leader to the group, nor is he overly fawned over. That said, everyone in the P3 group has immense respect for him. He has in-battle dialogue with every member of the P3 group + the P4 protagonist. Teddie calls him boss.

More details:

Sidequest/P4 side spoilers follow (for those who want to go in fresh)

-He apparently loves watching movies.
Makoto: That's how I got so charismatic

-At the beginning, when Mitsuru brings up the idea of having a leader for both groups, Makoto heavily pushes for Yu being the leader. Junpei concludes that Makoto only wanted Yu to be leader because it was too much work. Makoto's response to this? "Huh? Hmm..."
Junpei: At least pretend to deny it!

-During one of the dungeon conversations, Akihiko is doing something completely stupid (lol), and Shinji tasks him with getting him to stop. Makoto immediately laments it.

-During another dungeon humorous dungeon conversation, Makoto decides to part the bang covering his right eye. Yosuke says that Makoto really ought to get a haircut. Makoto's response to this?
"Meh."

-When the idea of names having an influence on a person is brought up, he (without hesitation) states that Mitsuru's name has the character for "beautiful." The latter is flustered by this.

-He's curious about the results of the "destined partner" quiz. Yukari points out that it's only because he's not involved.

-Looking at DNA helix enemies makes him queezy

He's kind and reserved, but also apathetic to a point where it deserves mention. He can be a bit spacey in that his reaction to certain events or shadows sometimes differ from the norm, but he's still pretty sharp. He sometimes says things that are silly without realizing it. Unlike Yu, he doesn't seem to be regarded as a strict leader to the group, nor is he overly fawned over. That said, everyone in the P3 group has immense respect for him. He has in-battle dialogue with every member of the P3 group + the P4 protagonist. Teddie calls him boss.

More details:

Sidequest/P4 side spoilers follow (for those who want to go in fresh)

-He apparently loves watching movies.
Makoto: That's how I got so charismatic

-At the beginning, when Mitsuru brings up the idea of having a leader for both groups, Makoto heavily pushes for Yu being the leader. Junpei concludes that Makoto only wanted Yu to be leader because it was too much work. Makoto's response to this? "Huh? Hmm..."
Junpei: At least pretend to deny it!

-During one of the dungeon conversations, Akihiko is doing something completely stupid (lol), and Shinji tasks him with getting him to stop. Makoto immediately laments it.

-During another dungeon humorous dungeon conversation, Makoto decides to part the bang covering his right eye. Yosuke says that Makoto really ought to get a haircut. Makoto's response to this?
"Meh."

-When the idea of names having an influence on a person is brought up, he (without hesitation) states that Mitsuru's name has the character for "beautiful." The latter is flustered by this.

-He's curious about the results of the "destined partner" quiz. Yukari points out that it's only because he's not involved.

This is awesome, thanks for listing those. I think the second last one in particular is interesting, since I just saw that on the P3 side. For me, there was a choice of how the P3 hero would reply, and I just assumed that the P4 side would just present the P4 hero with a dialogue choice instead.

Can't wait to do the P4 side later.

FluxWaveZ

I made a mistake. It should be unannounced games, not announced >.<

Gotcha. Also don't know if it's a translation quirk, but I was pointing fun at the fact that it almost sounds like Meguro's saying Persona 5 is unannounced, and that there are other titles to be announced just like that one.

Some actual new news, though (thanks for your work, by the way):
Atlus (Kazuhisa Wada said:
We've added a big new artist for Persona 4 Dancing

So, I just reread my Persona 5 TGS trailer theory, and I stated that I believed the release date for the game would have been February 5, 2015. Looks like that wasn't the case. There's a Persona event instead. I guess I am pretty good at making theories.

Soulflarz

Banned
Gotcha. Also don't know if it's a translation quirk, but I was pointing fun at the fact that it almost sounds like Meguro's saying Persona 5 is unannounced, and that there are other titles to be announced just like that one.

Some actual new news, though (thanks for your work, by the way):

Miku Dancing All Night

FluxWaveZ

"Big new artist" is going to impress P Studio so much and become the new talk of the town, leaving Soejima sulking in a corner, all jealous and bitter.

PK Gaming

Man...

I just had the most intense skirmish in Persona Q. I was ambushed by an enemy mob in the 4th dungeon. Not too bad right? I thought could salvage this. But the fight took a nasty turn. Eventually, I was blindsided by status effects, Brain Shakes and Mudoon spam. After a rough bunch of turns, only Yu was left standing (at critical health no less). I thought I was going to get wiped for sure. I thought about healing or reviving someone, but I knew they'd just get killed. I thought about running away, but I decided against it.

2 enemies left, both at half HP
Low HP

I went for it

Turn 1:
-I threw out a Mazionga. It wasn't enough kill either enemy. If only I could last for 2 turns.
-Both enemies attacks me.
-The first hit missed.
-Second enemy hits me. I die... or so I thought. I survived due to the scapegoat ability.

Turn 2:
-I use Mazionga again and kill one of the 2 enemies.
-Just one more turn
-The last enemy attacks me
-The last enemy misses
Yu: Easy
-I take them out with a Ziodyne
-Victory screen

Fuuka: Amazing, no wonder you're our leader

tumblr_inline_nbm9zpr7Ij1qdyshm.png

Trailer # 3 of Dancing All the Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXED02PtSTw

I not even mad ... now i want Aigis as DLC

Please Atlus.

Guessed after looking at the uploader, but still pretty amusing for me at least. Wonder if they'll get Aigis to dance like that at all.

A bit unrelated, but in PQ, I couldn't help but laugh at the switch from normal to ominous music playing when Yukiko offers food to you.

Probably the best feeling ever, I can imagine. RNG might screw you over sometimes, but other times it saves you.

Makio

Wasn't this joke made a while ago already?

Yeah 2010 wants his joke back .,... but man i lose shit with that.

I suscribed to that channel because i see a funny comment of this girl / boy making a Mitsuru impression.

But now is uploading videos like the Persona 5 ... high pitched soundtrack and this "rick roll". I wonder what kind of dumb shit is gonna to pull next.

Karen Strasstman is a goddess btw

Done with final exams, this means I should be able to put some serious time into PQ and more work into Ultimax now. Maybe I'll fight and defeat an FOE tomorrow! Oh who am I kidding I won't beat any FOEs, not with my party not being built to last lol

L1ssPmc.png

Blu-ray/DVD volume 4 of P4GA is now out, and along with it the new episode depicting the Accomplice ending. So, naturally, spoilers.
I don't exactly have much interest in checking out the Golden animation, but I really do like this art.
IDK, you tell me:
zlxu8ltgo0d020v1am0y.jpg

Soulflarz

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom