• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been thinking of picking up a PS3 and Persona is something I seem to hear about more and more lately, and it's got me intrigued by P5. Are the games all linked or is it much like Final Fantasy or something where each game has a different cast etc.?

All the different numbered games are pretty much independent of each other, so you're fine starting at any point. It's not identical to Final Fantasy, as they still all take place in the same universe, but they each have a different cast and setting and don't really follow on from each other. There are crossovers that link the games though, and there's more continuity between 1 and 2 than there is between 2/3/4

I've been thinking of picking up a PS3 and Persona is something I seem to hear about more and more lately, and it's got me intrigued by P5. Are the games all linked or is it much like Final Fantasy or something where each game has a different cast etc.?

The games are not "linked" in the literal sense, besides the fact that they take place in the same universe, which is another thing in itself. If you get a PS3, start with Persona 3 FES, (FES is just an updated rerelease of the original game) and then work your way up to Persona 4. Both are available as PS2 Classics.

The way the games are linked are by cameos, unless you are playing the spin-offs such as Arena or Persona Q, which is when the games become "linked."

So, if you are going to play the Persona series, start with Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 like I said above, and if you get into it, try the spin-offs out and see what you think of them. Be warned, though, as the Arena spin-offs are lacking in the story department. If you have a PSP or PS Vita, you'll also be able to play the first Persona, the second Persona duology, and the portable version of Persona 3. If you do want to play the first two I honestly recommend you start with Persona 3 FES first, as the first two games in the series are very aged, and may turn you off of the series if you play them first.

I hope this helped you out.

Zebetite

Banned

To start: Persona 3 marked a big shift in the series in terms of overall gameplay, tone, and story. When you hear a bunch of people talking about Persona, they're mostly talking about Persona 3 and 4-- far fewer people have played Persona 1, Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (the last two being the two distinct halves of Persona 2).

Persona 1, 2:IS and 2:EP are each direct sequels to each other, though IS and EP are closer-linked. Characters from Persona 1 still turn up in the Persona 2 games, though.

Persona 3 has no such connections and can be enjoyed on its own. Persona 4 is also mostly self-contained, but has one particular sequence that is a big just-for-fun throwback to Persona 3.

There are a variety of spin-offs that attempt to link Persona 3 to Persona 4 in different ways, and as a result its best if you've played both P3 and P4 before dabbling in them.

pan-hime

Want to clarify something: Is Newsflash! Persona Channel 2015 gonna stream Persona Super Live as well or it's going to be a seperate thing?
Need to figure out how much I should stream the program.

FluxWaveZ

Want to clarify something: Is Newsflash! Persona Channel 2015 gonna stream Persona Super Live as well or it's going to be a seperate thing?
Need to figure out how much I should stream the program.

We don't know, for now. We know that the streaming times intersect, and I believe the p-ch post states that broadcast content will include related content to Persona 4 The Golden -The Best- and Persona Super Live 2015, which are happening on the subsequent day.

I fully plan on having the 30 hour countdown on my phone while I'm in Japan, although I'll have to turn it off once the actual concert starts. I'll be sure to write up a long-ass post about the concert once the first round of exams are finished upon my return. Unfortunately, the exams are all scheduled on the same day I come back, which was incredibly poor planning on my part but I regret absolutely nothing.

FluxWaveZ

How do you guys randomly discover these URLs?

Anything after "atlus.com" worked to give us a temporary site in progress. So atlus.com/persona7 or whatever would function for it and give us a site in progress for what seemed to be a redesigned Atlus USA website. It's been a 404 for about a week now instead of leading to an actual page, though.

KmW7NqS.jpg

shouldn't it be heat here

Dawg

Haven't posted here for a while. Had to stop playing Persona for a few days. New update!

Thanks to all the advice here, I was able to beat Yukiko's Shadow without any issues. I was surprised. I basically beat the entire dungeon in one day. It was quite easy after grinding the first few floors for a while. I had a ton of money and HP/SP items. The restoration cards helped a great deal too. And Persona level up cards are awesome.

The real wild card was this beauty though:

B8PNNB7CAAAQIvh.jpg:large

Fire resistant + Media = Good defense and the ability to heal my entire party. Had to grind quite a few creatures until I was able to create this persona, but it was worth it.

Next up... trying to keep Teddie's paws of my waifu...

B8PNZ_TCEAEYeA3.jpg:large

All in all, had a great Persona experiece today. Learned a lot of new stuff. Finally understand a lot of the combat and fusing options, in part thanks to the lovely community here! :D

B8PNfGMCQAInfLP.jpg:large

DNAbro

Question time.

If you could have one thing announced during the persona live stream that ISNT related to Persona 5 or P4 DAN what would it be?

I want a ps4 version of ultimax.

FluxWaveZ

If you could have one thing announced during the persona live stream that ISNT related to Persona 5 or P4 DAN what would it be?

Can't really think of anything because, at this point, I'd be content with just P5 and P4D content. They might reveal something new, but I can't really think of something in particular that I'd want to see. I'd be up for any surprise.

LX_Theo

Banned
Question time.

Persona 6 announced as in early stages of development (as they are finishing up P5, of course)

DNAbro

Can't really think of anything because, at this point, I'd be content with just P5 and P4D content. They might reveal something new, but I can't really think of something in particular that I'd want to see. I'd be up for any surprise.

I mean I'm not really expecting anything else but I want a reason to buy ultimax. I want an arc sys work fighter but don't want GGXRD. If they announce Ultimax I'll get that, if not Blazblue when it comes out.

CorvoSol

Well you've finally done it, PersonaGAF. I'm redownloading FES, and I'm going to take a shot at The Answer.

I mean, I survived all three of the original Persona games, how bad can this be?

Note: Going into this Corvo's functioning canon on the lack of FeMC is
they all forgot her at the same time as P3MC and magic did not help them remember. She's chilling with the rest of the not-canon P3 survivors now: Shinjiro n maaaybe Chidori. Theo's running interference for 'em. Or something. IDGAF. She's fine.

Well you've finally done it, PersonaGAF. I'm redownloading FES, and I'm going to take a shot at The Answer.

I mean, I survived all three of the original Persona games, how bad can this be?

they all forgot her at the same time as P3MC and magic did not help them remember. She's chilling with the rest of the not-canon P3 survivors now: Shinjiro n maaaybe Chidori. Theo's running interference for 'em. Or something. IDGAF. She's fine.

Nah, man.
Her, Shinji and Theo are in a bar, airing grievances with the cast of Strange Journey.

I'm replaying FES and P3P right now, while still on my first playthorugh of PQ all at the same time right now

I also gave up on The Answer. Progression is SO SLOW. I thought after starting PQ, i'd be more accustomed to nothing but combat, but it's still a major drag. Already seen the cutscenes, but i really wanted to see the story for myself.

I also wish we got more FeMC

Meia

Oberon is what I always take into the Yukiko fight, except mine usually has resist physical and red wall, in addition to resist fire. First time playing Golden, I had my resist physical turn into Null Physical with a magician card. Fun was had by all.

Drop

Which character did you people vote for.

It's hard coming up with a favorite P4 character.

However, if they asked for favorite character from all of Persona...

It's just really hard to choose, so I just voted for my favoutire p4 girl, Rise.

Question time.

I would hope for a definitive version of p3, it should include everything introduced in p3p, have 3d models outside of tartarus back, and include the answer.

arue

I wonder which video you'll use after "6 days."
Kind of obvious, and might have been mentioned before, but famitsu says that we'll get the details of Persona Channel 2015 this week.
It's been a long time since we get some kind of Persona news from a magazine. This week and next week are going to be great.
Which character did you people vote for.
Haven't voted yet, but will vote for Naoto. Or maybe Nanako.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom