• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Random question for you all. Don't know if I've asked this here, but I like seeing what others think about Persona 5's potential critical reception. Good reviews certainly don't hurt a game's sales and I'm strangely anticipating this game's reviews more than usual.

Based off what you've seen/heard/played, where do you think Persona 5 will end up in terms of its Metacritic score?

I'm expecting it to fall in the 85-90 range and secretly hoping it will be above 90.

Just backing up your "what's wrong with you".
Though I probably should have quoted Mediking instead.

Oh, ok.

Mediking

Definitely
Nanako.

You think she's annoying? What's wrong with you?

Can you link some examples? Thanks.

Nanako was shoehorned into so many scenes that it nearly drove me crazy. I started to actually like her after realizing more of her background thanks to Dojima's social link

And you wanna see examples of PersonaGAF art for P5? Well here's Setsu00's take on Joker:

Code:
[IMG]http://68.media.tumblr.com/f62dd360ee738c08df42ffa6254dcb8c/tumblr_oechixwRVc1ry8an7o1_1280.png[/IMG]

Random question for you all. Don't know if I've asked this here, but I like seeing what others think about Persona 5's potential critical reception. Good reviews certainly don't hurt a game's sales and I'm strangely anticipating this game's reviews more than usual.

Based off what you've seen/heard/played, where do you think Persona 5 will end up in terms of its Metacritic score?

You really shouldn't care about Metacritic. Like you REALLY shouldn't. GAF has proven time and time again that just because a game has a high score... doesn't even mean that it's good. And there's many low score games on Metacritic that are wayyy better than their score. I care about Persona 5 alot but you will not see me in its review thread talking about Metacritic or worrying about its scores. Sorry. There just comes a point where you just stop caring. I care about reception but not actual scores/reviews.

Heck, some of us might end up thinking Persona 5 is a huge missed opportunity and has too many problems. While others might think P5 is the best Persona game.

Nanako was shoehorned into so many scenes that it nearly drove me crazy. I started to actually like her after realizing more of her background thanks to Dojima's social link

And you wanna see examples of PersonaGAF art for P5? Well here's Setsu00's take on Joker:

Code:
[IMG]http://68.media.tumblr.com/f62dd360ee738c08df42ffa6254dcb8c/tumblr_oechixwRVc1ry8an7o1_1280.png[/IMG]

You really shouldn't care about Metacritic. Like you REALLY shouldn't. GAF has proven time and time again that just because a game has a high score... doesn't even mean that it's good. And there's many low score games on Metacritic that are wayyy better than their score. I care about Persona 5 alot but you will not see me in its review thread talking about Metacritic or worrying about its scores. Sorry. There just comes a point where you just stop caring. I care about reception but not actual scores/reviews.

Heck, some of us might end up thinking Persona 5 is a huge missed opportunity and has too many problems. While others might think P5 is the best Persona game.

Interesting, I never got that feeling.

Anyway, I agree on the metacritic thing but I wont deny that I'd be happy to see it get great scores. I almost gave Nier a pass because of the very low scores, it's always a factor in a game's sales, even if to a lesser extent on niche titles.
This game will definitely expand the franchise's fan base but a lot of people who are still on the fence need that little push from reviews, I'm convinced it can reach the type of gamer that isn't exposed to forums but is into gaming enough to be aware of the franchise and willing to give it a shot, but will rely on professional reviews to make the decision.

Hmmm I agree with you for the most part. There's tons of games where I strongly disagree with the overall score (Shenmue 2 being the biggest example). Maybe I'm off and I'm overestimating the impact reviews will have on this game's sales. I could also be going based on personal experience too. A random Persona 4 Arena WNF showing and a high Persona 4 Golden Metacritic score actually made me research the series when I didn't visit NeoGAF much. It was like a 'Damn this anime game can't be that good, can it?' kind of deal. Now I consider P4G one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

If Persona 5 ends up in the top 10 reviewed PS4 games, it won't be much of an indicator of the game's quality, but I'm thinking it'll bring some needed attention to the game for people who are more casual/on the fence.

EDIT: I really need to refresh my browser before posting. Post above mine said damn near the same exact thing.

Mediking

Interesting, I never got that feeling.

Anyway, I agree on the metacritic thing but I wont deny that I'd be happy to see it get great scores. I almost gave Nier a pass because of the very low scores, it's always a factor in a game's sales, even if to a lesser extent on niche titles.
This game will definitely expand the franchise's fan base but a lot of people who are still on the fence need that little push from reviews, I'm convinced it can reach the type of gamer that isn't exposed to forums but is into gaming enough to be aware of the franchise and willing to give it a shot, but will rely on professional reviews to make the decision.

Hmmm I agree with you for the most part. There's tons of games where I strongly disagree with the overall score (Shenmue 2 being the biggest example). Maybe I'm off and I'm overestimating the impact reviews will have on this game's sales. I could also be going based on personal experience too. A random Persona 4 Arena WNF showing and a high Persona 4 Golden Metacritic score actually made me research the series when I didn't visit NeoGAF much. It was like a 'Damn this anime game can't be that good, can it?' kind of deal. Now I consider P4G one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.

If Persona 5 ends up in the top 10 reviewed PS4 games, it won't be much of an indicator of the game's quality, but I'm thinking it'll bring some needed attention to the game for people who are more casual/on the fence.

EDIT: I really need to refresh my browser before posting. Post above mine said damn near the same exact thing.

Persona 5 sell a million in its 1st year.

The same people that hate anime yet (IRONICALLY) still own a PS4/PS3 will not buy Persona 5 no matter how big word of mouth spreads. Nintendo has that same problem but that's another story.

Good reviews will reaffirm open minded people who are newcomers to play Persona 5.

Good reviews wont really mean anything to long time fans who will form their own opinion on the game regardless if it was slammed or praised in reviews.

Persona 5 will sell largely to a dedicated fanbase and newcomers.

Missed opportunity is missed opportunity. Missing delays and not being on stages whenever Sony got on stage has hurt the game.... somewhat.

Still standing by my thought that Persona 5 will sell a million THIS year. Gonna dethrone GAF's obsession with Bloodborne too. Just watch.

Olengie

Freeze yourself.

south-park-s10e12-go-god-go_4x3.jpg

Lusankya

I am currently playing Tales of Berseria and Erica Lindbeck as Magilou is sooo good! Can't wait to hear her performance as Futaba.

The same people that hate anime yet (IRONICALLY) still own a PS4/PS3 will not buy Persona 5 no matter how big word of mouth spreads.

OK, now you lost me.
I agree with P5 hitting a million in the short term, been saying that for a long time. Not sure why you're bringing up Bloodborne.

Reddaye

Banned
Alright, so I finally did it. I finally sat down and put some real time into a Persona game. I'm not really into anime, or JRPGs but I do enjoy the main Megaten series (and Dragon Quest), and the concept of Persona 3/4 has always intrigued me. I started playing Persona 3 a while ago, but drifted away from it onto other things and never came back.

So late last week I finally decided to sit down and start playing Persona 4. I'm now nearly 17 hours in, and about to finish the Bathhouse. Folks...I'm officially hooked. The characters, OH THE CHARACTERS. I'm drawn to them, I'm interested in their lives, and their interactions with my MC. Those little moments where they're just hanging out being teenagers, basically normal people, are so appealing. This isn't filled with the melodrama and massive scope that tends to turn me away JRPGs...it's got real people being thrown into an extraordinary situation.

Add in the demons, and demon fusion system I enjoy from the SMT games in general with a snappy combat system that encourages the buffing, and debuffing that Megaten is known for and I'm in heaven. It's a shame the actual dungeon exploring is not overly enjoyable. It's a step up from what I remember in P3, but it's still not what I'd call beyond just being good. It looks like P5 will be improving that a lot.

So yeah, I'm hooked. We're getting slammed with a major Blizzard here, so I don't know if I can finish off the second dungeon boss today without the power going out, but I'm super excited to keep the story going and find out more about this killer.

(Also...Teddie is awesome. I love Teddie!)

Lunar15

I expect an average in the mid to high 80's because no matter how good it is and how many glowing reviews there are, it's been so long at this point that it can never live up to a lot of people's inflated expectations.

When P3 and P4 hit, the series was still relatively niche even within the review circuit. There was feeling of finding a "hidden gem". A lot of reviewers went into P4 with no expectations because they hadn't even played P3.

Now, while the series is still niche in a mainstream sense, it's a known quantity within the gaming journalism world. There's expectations for the series that didn't exist before. Add in a longer-than-necessary wait time and it's going to affect how reviewers tackle the game. That said, I could be wrong: the import thread was pretty glowing.

The biggest thing I realized a long time ago regarding reviews is that they often have way more to do with external factors (when a game comes out, expectations based on other games, what else is out at the time) than they do on the game's own quality. Which isn't to say that reviews should be objective. It's just that a lot of people expect them to be objective, which isn't useful. It's why review culture on GAF is miserable. It's not necessarily bad thing that games are rated as event rather than a product. That's what marketing has essentially made games into, and that's ultimately what they are in our lives.

tldr: people need to get over reviews as an objective ranking of quality, and view them more as a discussion of what a game means to different people.

Alright, so I finally did it. I finally sat down and put some real time into a Persona game. I'm not really into anime, or JRPGs but I do enjoy the main Megaten series (and Dragon Quest), and the concept of Persona 3/4 has always intrigued me. I started playing Persona 3 a while ago, but drifted away from it onto other things and never came back.

So late last week I finally decided to sit down and start playing Persona 4. I'm now nearly 17 hours in, and about to finish the Bathhouse. Folks...I'm officially hooked. The characters, OH THE CHARACTERS. I'm drawn to them, I'm interested in their lives, and their interactions with my MC. Those little moments where they're just hanging out being teenagers, basically normal people, are so appealing. This isn't filled with the melodrama and massive scope that tends to turn me away JRPGs...it's got real people being thrown into an extraordinary situation.

Add in the demons, and demon fusion system I enjoy from the SMT games in general with a snappy combat system that encourages the buffing, and debuffing that Megaten is known for and I'm in heaven. It's a shame the actual dungeon exploring is not overly enjoyable. It's a step up from what I remember in P3, but it's still not what I'd call beyond just being good. It looks like P5 will be improving that a lot.

So yeah, I'm hooked. We're getting slammed with a major Blizzard here, so I don't know if I can finish off the second dungeon boss today without the power going out, but I'm super excited to keep the story going and find out more about this killer.

(Also...Teddie is awesome. I love Teddie!)

This guy...
This guy gets it!

I expect low 90s - high 80s. I really doubt delays will factor into impressions, seems to me that few games are actually hurt by multiple delays if there's something to them. I'm thinking of stuff like Witcher 3, FFXV, and The Last Guardian.

Lynx_7

Welcome aboard! Persona 4 tends to resonate with a lot of people who aren't usually into anime or JRPGs because it's an example of well executed anime and jrpg tropes.

As for the metacritic talk, it's clearly getting 100. The game to dethrone OOT. Balee.

Dantis

I'd say between 87 and 89. So we'll say 88, haha.

I think it will get knocked down for the length and the bloat at the back end.

lilty

I'd say between 87 and 89. So we'll say 88, haha.

I think it will get knocked down for the length and the bloat at the back end.

Do you think reviewers will actually finish the game before they write their review? Like, I would hope they do and I know Atlus gives them plenty of lead time with review code, but I feel like most reviewers aren't going to actually finish a 80-100 hour RPG. They'll probably put 30 or so hours into it and judge it based on that.

I'm guessing 92 for what it's worth.

Dantis

Do you think reviewers will actually finish the game before they write their review? Like, I would hope they do and I know Atlus gives them plenty of lead time with review code, but I feel like most reviewers aren't going to actually finish a 80-100 hour RPG. They'll probably put 30 or so hours into it and judge it based on that.

I'm guessing 92 for what it's worth.

I'd assume so. John sends out review codes nice and early, I think, so they'll have a ton of time.

Lunar15

Most will finish the whole game. Some won't. I've known writers that didn't beat games and wrote reviews for them. Still goes into the metacritic. It's just how it goes. Once again, not a huge issue if you really don't place a gigantic emphasis on the value of review scores.

With P5 I feel pretty confident that most will finish the whole game, despite its length.

Lynx_7

90-92 sounds within reach if it's as good as the import OT says and given the series history. The fact that its themes are going to resonate in a post-Trump world should also give it an oomph. At any case, the most (and possibly only) relevant aspect of metacritic is that it might push some curious people to give P5 a try if they see this RPG with a super high score and word of mouth. For that purpose I feel like an 88-89 would already be good enough and put it on par with P3, which also attracted lots of new fans to the series.

Joke post, I'm sticking with my 100 prediction!

Tunoku

30 minutes until Persona 5 unlocks on PSN in Europe, woo!

giphy.gif

EDIT: Oh, and hello, Persona-GAF. I like Persona and hope that hanging out here sometimes is gonna make the wait a bit easier.

Dugna

30 minutes until Persona 5 unlocks on PSN in Europe, woo!

giphy.gif

EDIT: Oh, and hello, Persona-GAF. I like Persona and hope that hanging out here sometimes is gonna make the wait a bit easier.

I thought persona 5 was pushed back to april?

Top Bottom