• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

asagami_

Banned
Guess it would be cool if they added some new QoL features and confidants, but even then I don't really feel like the game needs it.

This x10000

I would fix the time between transitions/menus/battles. I would accept a simpler presentation if I can save 10+ hours of progress.

Yezz after SMT IV Apocalypse I feel bad playing slow games.

Makio

Glad someone shut down that dumb Persona 5 R rumor, hurt my head everytime i read people who speak of it like if 100% confirmed by Atlus or something.

Haru really, really needs to be recast for a better actress.

I think is the first time i read someone dislike Haru voice at the point to consider she need a recast , dont get me wrong i love Xanthe Huynh even think she is underrated.

But i can understand why her delivery as Haru is a love / hate thing , is super cheesy , at first i thought she was trying to mimic the japanese actress , but surprised the japanese actually sound more like Xanthe natural voice , so i dont understand why they went that way with her delivery , in some scenes works but other like her awakening it feels off , like someone point out the matter with the p5 dub is not the actors , those guys had the potential , things people dont like can be direction / studio fault , like some delivery or pronunciations.

PROTECT Xanthe

I hope everyone from the original cast returns for PQ2.
Except maybe Haru...

I was talking with some dude about that , i think the P3 dub cast for both PQ2 (implying SEES is in the game) and Dancing Moon is gonna had like 1-2 new recasts.

Going for recent projects characters like Yukari or Aigis i think is safe they will be back , Ruff and Strassman are in Atlus / PCB favorite list after all and they always got time for these projects it seems.

The ones i had doubt are Mitsuru and Akihiko for example , like Tara Platt (Mitsuru) is ever doing VA recently , the last i remember of her was in God Eater 2 i think ,but besides that i dont remember her to be in something recently , hell even her more "stable" gig got her recasted in Neptunia (which is basically a game for year series now) and got Caroline / Justine actress (Carrie Keranen) to voice her character (so i dont be surprised if she end up as the new Mitsuru too if Platt is not available).

And in Akihiko case , i remember reading somewhere Liam o Brien move on to "bigger" projects like Bailey and Troy Baker did in the past , and even he has working more as a director than actor...
Even his character in SMT IV got recast , so maybe Akihiko had a new voice too for the new games.

The rest of the P3 cast seems safe it seems to me (including Wendee Lee's Fuuka and Cindy Robinson's Ken) , for the P4 cast too i suppose Ashly Burch will return as Rise in the P4 side and the rest stay the same , unless they give the role to Alexis Tipton which is literally low budget Bailey (their voices are so similar i swear) ...

And the p5 cast is way too soon to see recasts unless something happen by the time they dub those games..

I think is the first time i read someone dislike Haru voice at the point to consider she need a recast , dont get me wrong i love Xanthe Huynh even think she is underrated.

But i can understand why her delivery as Haru is a love / hate thing , is super cheesy , at first i thought she was trying to mimic the japanese actress , but surprised the japanese actually sound more like Xanthe natural voice , like someone point out the matter with the p5 dub is not the actors , those guys had the potential , things people dont like is direction / studio fault , like some delivery or pronunciations.

Protect Xanthe

There's this tiny voice at the back of my mind saying Atlus JP sabotaged the English dub with wonky direction to promote the JP voice track.

But that's crazy, right?

Makio

There's this tiny voice at the back of my mind saying Atlus JP sabotaged the English dub with wonky direction to promote the JP voice track.

But that's crazy, right?

If thats true then Cherami Leigh will be doing a weird ass country accent and other wacky / wonky things for the others , but seems only Haru had a divided reception from the dub cast , unless Japan love Haru seiyuu to the point they try to "kill" the english delivery at all cost haha.

Of course the conspiracy grows when was Atlus JP themselves were who ask they say Sakamoto and Takamaki the way they did in the dub

But i dont want to give bad ideas to the sub only / japanese dubs are always superior fans haha.

But that's crazy, right?
Well, yeah? They weren't even going to offer it at first. And when they did, it was a free download. So in that scenario they'd be spending money to produce a dub that they were simultaneously sabotaging in order to promote the free release of the voice track they already finished.

I think Atlus JP is responsible for a lot of the problems with P5's Western release, but that culpability has limits haha.

Well, yeah? They weren't even going to offer it at first. And when they did, it was a free download. So in that scenario they'd be spending money to produce a dub that they were simultaneously sabotaging in order to promote the free release of the voice track they already finished.

I think Atlus JP is responsible for a lot of the problems with P5's Western release, but that culpability has limits haha.

Not necessarily for money, more to elevate the JP talent.

Like I said.
Crazy. :/

Figured they wouldn't have a story based on the trailers but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Wish they'd gone into some more detail about what improvements they're making, but confirming that they are making improvements is a start.

FluxWaveZ

I'm rather surprised that both P3D and P5D won't have a story mode, but it makes sense for the games we're dealing with, as well as when they must have entered development to then both come out at around the same time.

Hopefully the replacement will be substantial, though. I want the existence of two different games to be justified, instead of it being a single title.

Nictel

I'm rather surprised that both P3D and P5D won't have a story mode, but it makes sense for the games we're dealing with, as well as when they must have entered development to then both come out at around the same time.

Hopefully the replacement will be substantial, though. I want the existence of two different games to be justified, instead of it being a single title.

This is very anecdotal but I never really put time in story mode in P4D. Perhaps I wasn't alone and they made the decision based on that data?

Slightly disappointed, but at least they're not trying to insert it into the story against all credibility.

edit: ALTHOUGH... I guess this also means P3MC's still not getting a canon name.

I think Haru's performance is good. Maybe I'm biased because she was my romance option.

Probably. :p

Yeah, I was ok with the idea of them cutting a story mode if we also got a pretty big bump in the number of songs on disc, hearing that we're getting a replacement of some sort makes me hope that's pretty substantial as well.

Like you say, if they're trying to sell these as two separate titles then there needs to be the content to justify it.

PK Gaming

Is it weird that I'm a little disappointed at the lack of story?

I'm glad they're not trying to tie it into canon, but nonsensical story could have been fun. A dance competition maybe?

FluxWaveZ

For me, I'm disappointed because I wanted to see the P3 cast mingle once again in their own spin-off.

But, from the sounds of it, there'll be a story component to both games, without there being a story mode. So who knows what's gonna happen.

For me, I'm disappointed because I wanted to see the P3 cast mingle once again in their own spin-off.

But, from the sounds of it, there'll be a story component to both games, without there being a story mode. So who knows what's gonna happen.
Yeah, I'm just wondering if they kinda missed the mark with this replacement if they're looking to develop deep a serious stories. I was hoping for more character interaction and less introspection. Will wait to see though, I'm pretty much down for anything at this point--I quite enjoyed P4D despite it's problems and I only like the music of P3 and P5 more.

Also, for all your crack speculation needs, a Wada quote:
". . . impact [of full body HD models of the P3 cast] is huge . . ."

Yeah, I'm just wondering if they kinda missed the mark with this replacement if they're looking to develop deep a serious stories. I was hoping for more character interaction and less introspection. Will wait to see though, I'm pretty much down for anything at this point--I quite enjoyed P4D despite it's problems and I only like the music of P3 and P5 more.

Also, for all your crack speculation needs, a Wada quote:

Now THERE'S a twitter avatar you can trust!

Lunar15

I'm ok with whatever as long as they tweak the gameplay. Couldn't get into it, even though I normally like rhythm games. Also, I felt that some of the remixes were duds, not bad but also not that exciting.

I'm fine with a story mode substitute. I enjoyed P4D's story but it was a really goofy and dumb ride I didn't take very seriously. Hope whatever replacement there is just has a lot of fun character interactions because that was the main reason I enjoyed P4U1's story so much.

Also hate to be that guy, but I really hope both games get dual audio. I actually really like the P3/P4 dubs, but I haven't even really heard the P5 one outside of the trailers and I love the JP casts across all games a ton so I hope thats a thing they continue doing with the western release of ATLUS games. Though I hope the localization and voice direction for the english cast improves from what happened with P5 as well.

BTA

I'm fine with a story mode substitute. I enjoyed P4D's story but it was a really goofy and dumb ride I didn't take very seriously. Hope whatever replacement there is just has a lot of fun character interactions because that was the main reason I enjoyed P4U1's story so much.

Also hate to be that guy, but I really hope both games get dual audio. I actually really like the P3/P4 dubs, but I haven't even really heard the P5 one outside of the trailers and I love the JP casts across all games a ton so I hope thats a thing they continue doing with the western release of ATLUS games. Though I hope the localization and voice direction for the english cast improves from what happened with P5 as well.

Oh, oof, I didn't even think about this. After 116 hours (plus an attempt at doing a NG+ somewhere down the line...) with the JP voices it's gonna be weird as hell if the spinoffs are dub only.

No story's a little disappointing, actually? I expected it from them being announced as if they were 2 versions of the same game, but I'd like new story stuff with the P5 cast and, having never played the prior games, PQ2's probably not gonna work for me.

Makio

"I'm telling you guys that a P3 HD remake is happening"

Yeah sure whatever dude , despite i think Persona 3 dont need another remake (rather put that effort in something else) is gonna be sad to waste those hd models in just spinoffs so i dont mind if they give people what they want.

Still more fair that people asking for a full persona 4 remake when they still got Golden to play.

-------

Those details seems interesting , after seeing Joker dancing in one of the palaces i assume this game will not include story mode or could the biggest bullshit plot Atlus pull it off so far.

Still curious about "the plot / deep stories" they imply tho.

When we can see these games again , TGS is a good bet or is too soon for the next trailers to drop.

I'm all for a P3 remake, but I really don't think it needs a remake and it would be pretty criminal if it got a remake before P1 or either P2 game. But ATLUS doesn't seem to want to touch them for whatever reason. Wonder if the PSP ports weren't popular or they don't want others who aren't Tadashi to touch those games out of respects?

Olengie

All about that Remasters. Some of them look great like Rogue Trooper and Crash Bandicoot.

Honesty i would be fine if they released he PS2 versions of Persona 3/4 on PS4 with trophies. But thats just me. I would love a remake/remaster but im not having my hopes up

Don't feel triggered by P5R. It's not coming till 2019 and Persona games getting a updated installment is gonna happen. Happened to P3, P4 and eventually... P5.

Enjoy your time with P5 because you can use it compare it with P5R when you play it.

And I didn't bother maxing all my confidants because I had Joker in the gym almost all the time. I raised my HP and SP that way :D

Yeah I know it'll eventually come. I played vanilla P3 and then FES. It just seems a bit early to think about.

The sad thing is, I was originally planning to a start a NG+ right after finishing P5, using the JP voices and going for max confidants. But after 275 hours I'm exhausted. And honestly? With those long-winded dungeons, I'm not sure I want to put that much time into it again. Which makes me a bit upset that I spent all that time on the game, but wasn't even able to max out half my team's relationships. I know other people here said they had no problem maxing all their confidants, but I found it really difficult with the constant stat gating to progress. Way more difficult than P3. I felt really confined. So many days where you couldn't do anything socially. I know this isn't a new complaint.

Also, maybe I'm misremembering how vanilla P3 was, but I was surprised that I never even got to fuse any of my max arcana demons in P5. I finished the game at level 75; I'm not sure how that compares to the average, but it felt low. Is this just something you have to wait for NG+, unless you grind?

"I'm telling you guys that a P3 HD remake is happening"

Yeah sure whatever dude , despite i think Persona 3 dont need another remake (rather put that effort in something else) is gonna be sad to waste those hd models in just spinoffs so i dont mind if they give people what they want.

Still more fair that people asking for a full persona 4 remake when they still got Golden to play.

-------

Those details seems interesting , after seeing Joker dancing in one of the palaces i assume this game will not include story mode or could the biggest bullshit plot Atlus pull it off so far.

Still curious about "the plot / deep stories" they imply tho.

When we can see these games again , TGS is a good bet or is too soon for the next trailers to drop.

Best guess I can come up with is them retelling the games through dance sequences.

MSMrRound

I'm fine with no mandatory story mode.

Just give me more dancers and hopefully characters are less restricted to songs this time round.

Naoto and a few others only getting two songs each were criminal.

Makio

Best guess I can come up with is them retelling the games through dance sequences.

Ann : "You know what? I'm not some cheap girl you can toy with... you scumbag. You stole everything from
Shiho
... You destroyed her... Now it's your turn! I will rob you of everything...!"

*Last Surprise sounds in full blast and she starts dancing¨*

Damn i can totally see it hahaaha.

PK Gaming

Yeah I know it'll eventually come. I played vanilla P3 and then FES. It just seems a bit early to think about.

The sad thing is, I was originally planning to a start a NG+ right after finishing P5, using the JP voices and going for max confidants. But after 275 hours I'm exhausted. And honestly? With those long-winded dungeons, I'm not sure I want to put that much time into it again. Which makes me a bit upset that I spent all that time on the game, but wasn't even able to max out half my team's relationships. I know other people here said they had no problem maxing all their confidants, but I found it really difficult with the constant stat gating to progress. Way more difficult than P3. I felt really confined. So many days where you couldn't do anything socially. I know this isn't a new complaint.

Also, maybe I'm misremembering how vanilla P3 was, but I was surprised that I never even got to fuse any of my max arcana demons in P5. I finished the game at level 75; I'm not sure how that compares to the average, but it felt low. Is this just something you have to wait for NG+, unless you grind?

275 hours seems like an almost unrealistic amount of time to spend on P5 in your first playthrough. What happened?

Ann : "You know what? I'm not some cheap girl you can toy with... you scumbag. You stole everything from
Shiho
... You destroyed her... Now it's your turn! I will rob you of everything...!"

*Last Surprise sounds in full blast and she starts dancing¨*

Damn i can totally see it hahaaha.

Pretty much spot-on with what I'm thinking! XD

Olengie

275 hours seems like an almost unrealistic amount of time to spend on P5 in your first playthrough. What happened?

An extremely large amount of idling? lol

I can imagine spending 275 Hours on Elder Scrolls and Fallout (cuz I did that) but on Persona? I can't wrap my head around it

I can't understand it myself, but it's true. Kazuma Kaneko's journey ended after 270 hours. I thought maybe it was because I spend a lot of time optimizing demon fusion in the Velvet Room, but I do that in every SMT game. I did do all but one of the twins' requests. I take my time with RPGs, but never this much time. Maybe I'm much slower in battles than others, which added up over the large number of battles in the game. I don't know? But I was already getting tired of the slog by the 5th dungeon.
4mdT6IU.jpg

I was talking with some dude about that , i think the P3 dub cast for both PQ2 (implying SEES is in the game) and Dancing Moon is gonna had like 1-2 new recasts.

Going for recent projects characters like Yukari or Aigis i think is safe they will be back , Ruff and Strassman are in Atlus / PCB favorite list after all and they always got time for these projects it seems.

The ones i had doubt are Mitsuru and Akihiko for example , like Tara Platt (Mitsuru) is ever doing VA recently , the last i remember of her was in God Eater 2 i think ,but besides that i dont remember her to be in something recently , hell even her more "stable" gig got her recasted in Neptunia (which is basically a game for year series now) and got Caroline / Justine actress (Carrie Keranen) to voice her character (so i dont be surprised if she end up as the new Mitsuru too if Platt is not available).

And in Akihiko case , i remember reading somewhere Liam o Brien move on to "bigger" projects like Bailey and Troy Baker did in the past , and even he has working more as a director than actor...
Even his character in SMT IV got recast , so maybe Akihiko had a new voice too for the new games.

The rest of the P3 cast seems safe it seems to me (including Wendee Lee's Fuuka and Cindy Robinson's Ken) , for the P4 cast too i suppose Ashly Burch will return as Rise in the P4 side and the rest stay the same , unless they give the role to Alexis Tipton which is literally low budget Bailey (their voices are so similar i swear) ...

And the p5 cast is way too soon to see recasts unless something happen by the time they dub those games..
NOOOOO NOT MITSURU AND AKI D: Sad to hear they haven't reprised their roles in other games (Liam didn't do Laslow in FE: Heroes too...), hopefully they still find a way to make it to these games :(
https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/894824790346928128

Seems like neither P3D nor P5D will have a story mode. This is coming from Famitsu.

Probably a good move. Just make 'em silly, fun, not-at-all-canonical games.
In a way that's disappointing to me, hopefully whatever other mode the game has includes character interaction or group moments.

The looming fear of recasts makes me hope even more we get dual audio. Ishida Akira Makoto/Minato and Midorikawa Hikaru as Akihiko are too good.

Edit: Also imagining Yuri Lowenthal's voice coming out of P3MCs face sounds really unappealing. Nothing against the guy, but I don't think that's a very good fit. So even if we don't get dual audio, I hope that's amongst one of the english dub recasts.

I'm definitely in the minority of people who aren't too bothered by voice over recasts, it's definitely preferable to them not using the character at all because they couldn't get the actor back.

I'm definitely in the minority of people who aren't too bothered by voice over recasts, it's definitely preferable to them not using the character at all because they couldn't get the actor back.

Wouldn't ever really be an issue for Japan as voice recasts are less common there, fortunately. It's just kinda weird when you spend 100 hours with a character and then they suddenly have a new voice. Wish roles were a little more consistent for Japanese games outside of Japan, but it's the way it is I suppose. Not really much of a dub person myself, but with games like Persona where they are actually pretty decent (and I didn't have any other choice initially), I would like there to be as much consistency as possible. Even if we get dual audio, because I know the dub is thought of pretty highly, which is great.

The thought of recasts for the rest of the cast of P3 stings but I thought that the recasts they did over the course of the various P4 spin-offs were solid for the most part so I'm not too worried.

(As long as they don't recast Junpei or Yukari)

Here we go... Sean Chiplock as Akihiko, Kira Buckland as Mitsuru, and...
Kyle McCarley as Yosuke and/or P3MC.

Hopefully not just reactions in the result screen. :/
I feel like I should be upset if Yuri doesn't come back (because he's very good), but if his replacement is Kyle McCarley it might almost be a step up? I've been very impressed by Kyle.

I just hope they don't drop the ball now when it comes to dual audio.

Having suffered for so many years, it was fantastic that they finally delivered with P5.

Top Bottom