• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

Mediking

They got some fixed / regular day to upload like you know here people always expect things in "Tuesday" or they just upload videos at random , will lovely to start to see those next week hopefully

Question is how many of those are gonna be , for now 5 (pun intended) Joker / Ann / Morgana / Ryuji / Yusuke , 8 one for each thief or various VA in one video , anyway i see them droping those weekly maybe once they start

I have some shocking news. I am the voice actor for Joker.

Makio

I am the voice actor for Joker.

Despite i believe you or not , that reminds me a little detail

Since the P5 footage was stolen , Atlus USA can "get it back" , or the phantoms can leaked to the public to piss off Hardin which means in the second case each video is going to have an "intro" or Joker itself explain it why they stole

I just hope they give to his english voice actors some lines outside the game like they did in Japan and like Morgana did back in E3

Plus i love those shenanigans

Here's the list:
IGN said:
Xander Mobus
as the protagonist
Cassandra Morris
as Morgana
Max Mittelman
as Ryuji Sakamoto
Erika Harlacher
as Ann Takamaki
Matt Mercer
as Yusuke Kitagawa
Cherami Leigh
as Makoto Niijima
Erica Lindbeck
as Futaba Sakura
Xanthe Huynh
as Haru Okumura
Robbie Daymond
as Goro Akechi
Any standouts here? Not too knowledgeable on VA.

Edit:
Dagda
is the Mc?? Nice!
Edit2: Sorry, I'll spoiler this just in case.

Lusankya

Here's the list:

Edit:
Dagda
is the Mc?? Nice!

Erika Harlacher voiced Kirigiri in the Danganronoa Series. She is pretty new to the VA scene, but I liked her. Of course Kirigiri is a completely different character compared to Anne, so let's see how she will do.

Cherami Leigh is a veteran when it comes to anime roles, but is quite new to video game roles. I also know her from Danganronpa where she voiced Komaru. I really liked her there, but again, Komaru has a completely different personality compared to Makoto, so let's see.

Erica Lindbeck also is a newcomer and as the two actresses above I know her from Danganronpa. She voiced a child character there, but not to different from Futabas personality I guess.

I never heard of Xanthe Huynh, but apaprently she voiced Meruru in the Atelier games, so it should be easy to find samples of her acting.

Cassandra Morris also voiced a Danganronpa Character, lol.

Never heard of any of the guys with the exception of course being Matt freaking Mercer.

Robbie Daymond voices Prompto in FFXV, not too bad.

Max Mittelman seems to be featured in a lot of Blizzard games and is Fidel in the newest Star Ocean game.

Xander Mobus was Gideon in Trails of Cold Steel.

asagami_

Banned
Cassandra Moris is Toki (SMT IV Apocalypse), Airi Ban (Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker) and Hitomi (Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers). Now when I play P5 I can think Toki is the one who send me to sleep!

I don't know everyone, but the ones I know (Dadga is now P5 MC lol) are fantastic. I am sure the others will be.

PK Gaming

Here's the list:

Edit:
Dagda
is the Mc?? Nice!

1/8, DARN

At least I guessed 3 of the VAs making it into the game.

Xander's an unexpected choice for the protag, but i'm sure he'll do great. He's seriously got amazing acting chops if Dagda's anything to go by, and a really nice dude.

Max Mittelman is an inspired choice, and whoever called him way back when has my respect. Kind of shaky in the first trailer but i'm sure he'll be better in the actual game.

You all know Erika Harlacher as Kyoko from DanganRonpa, and she's a really good fit in retrospect.

Matthew Mercer was my one and only accurate call and boy do I feel good about it. Dude's an amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing VA, with the potential surpass even Baker at this point. Let's go MM!

Cherami Leigh as Makoto...wouldn't have been my first pick, but we'll see how she plays out. Definitely a great VA though so I look forward to seeing what she brings to the table.

E R I C A L I N D B E C K as Futaba. Well damn, I was hoping she'd take Makoto but this is a damn fine choice too. Important because Futaba will likely be 2X better in the ENG version because of her voice alone.

Xanthe Huynh as Haru. Talk about an underdog story. She went from voicing minor characters in anime to slowly clawing her way into bigger and better roles (she didn't even have a wikipedia until recently, lol). Anyway if you aren't familiar with Xanthe, picture the sweeeeeeeeeeeeetest and most sincere voice you've ever heard in your entire life. Not sure if she'll be a good fit, but it doesn't matter because it's Xanthe Huynhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You totally called it, Sketch. Robbie Daymond as Goro was something I can't say I saw coming at all, but he's a damn good fit.

Xander's an unexpected choice for the protag, but i'm sure he'll do great. He's seriously got amazing acting chops if Dagda's anything to go by, and a really nice dude.

Max Mittelman is an inspired choice, and whoever called him way back when has my respect. Kind of shaky in the first trailer but i'm sure he'll be better in the actual game.

Xanthe Huynh as Haru. Talk about an underdog story. She went from voicing minor characters in anime to slowly clawing her way into bigger and better roles (she didn't even have a wikipedia until recently, lol). Anyway if you aren't familiar with Xanthe, picture the sweeeeeeeeeeeeetest and most sincere voice you've ever heard in your entire life. Not sure if she'll be a good fit, but it doesn't matter because it's Xanthe Huynhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You totally called it, Sketch. Robbie Daymond as Goro was something I can't say I saw coming at all, but he's a damn good fit.
I'm looking forward to Daymond as Goro.
I really want to hear what he sounds like and if it will be similar to Prompto.

Never heard of Xanthe Huynh but a sweet voice fits Haru so I hope she does a good job
(I seem to be in the minority that is excited for Haru :p)

I'm not feeling Max Mittelman's Ryuji from what we have heard so far.
I hope that it is just one badly delivered line and that he is better in the actual game.
Still Ann
I was kind of hoping for it to be Anne but oh well :p

Yeah, that sounds like Haru alright.
Reassuring to hear.

It's funny because this guy just popped into my head while listening to Goro's
battle quotes
and I was like "nah, no way. "

And then I couldn't unhear it for the rest of the game.

Dantis

Anyone care to link some voice clips? I don't recognise anyone except Mercer on here.

Speaking of which, I hope he's vastly than his Kanji voice.

Also, PK, 'the sweetest most innocent girl' is pretty much Haru, like I said a while back. She's Fuuka if she wasn't boring and trash.

Lunar15

I didn't like Ryuji's line at first, but listening again, I actually like that voice pick. I just think they went with a really enthusiastic line.

Makio

No kidding i can literally put together a Persona 5 main cast with actors from those games

Joker : Xander Mobus (this guy can nail Arsene and looks young enough to voice a teenager)
Anne : Rachel Kimsey / Marisha Ray (yeah Margaret)
Ryuji : Kaiji Tang / Max Mittleman
Morgana : Cassandra Lee Morris (almost confirmed anyway)
Yusuke : Edward Bosco / Benjamin Diskin
Makoto : Carrie Keranen / Erica Mendez (DONT LOSE YOUR WAY !!!)
Futaba : Kira Buckland / Xanthe Huynh (underrated actress)
Haru : Ericka Lindbeck / Rena Strober
Goro : Sean Chiplock / Robbie Daymond

I wouldnt be surprised or mad if got most of the names right even if they end up in other roles (like npc and such) but is a really solid list pretty much names i would bet on and love to end up in the dub

Since Atlus dont let put my final list, had to work with one i made back a weeks ago

Called Mobus being Joker and im happy the guy had a tremendous voice / range
Failed Ann becuase "i never see it coming" , fresh add to the cast need to hear more about her real voice actress
Mittleman as Ryuji was easy , he is the new Yuri Lowenthal
Failed Yosuke , Mercer is in everything and is great im not gonna fight it
Makoto , muh Carrie Keranen rip ....need to hear more of Cherami because right now i got her "Plutia" in my head of all the hyperdimension neptunia actress i want she was the one who end up

I guess both Futaba and Haru VA in inversed roles , half point for me ... super happy about Xanthe she deserved more roles and got the cute voice of this cast

Guessed Daymond as Goro , because FFXV i thought he is gonna be avaible he is a great pick

Super glad with the cast, names alone is a great list and got the potential to overcome P3 & P4 if they want , hope they dont get recast in the spinoffs lol

Lets see, Cassandra, Cherami, Erica Lindbeck, and Matt Mercer are very known quantities. This might be a really good opportunity for Matt to show hes more than jsut a Troy Baker impersonator, and giving him a character like Yusuke is that opportunity.

Erika Harlacher as Kyoko is very different from what I expect of Anne, but she also voiced Ami in Toradora and that would be more what I expect.

Robbie's role as Sorey wasn't a very good role in the first place and his small list of characters doesnt give me much idea on him. However even as a minor role he handled Ran in Durarara very well

Max I'm also not very familiar with, but he handled a character that couldve been a joke in trails of cold steel 2 and made the character someone to be feared as he was meant to be, but also brought out the laziness in that characters personality flawlessly. That characters name was Mcburn...seriously...max took that dumbass name and made a character out of him.

I've got really nothing on Xander. I'm not very far in SMTIV:A so I havent seen much of Dagda yet, and Gideon in Trails of Cold Steel wasn't too big deal of a character.

Xanthe Huynh I don't have much on either. Hanayo was a boring love live character but that wasnt the actresses fault. Altina in trails of cold steel was interesting but not a difficult character to act as shes your usual monotone mysterious young girl trope. The rest of her work is unknown to me

EDIT:^Theres more roles, we still have hope of Carrie. Sae would be a good fit

MSMrRound

Anyone care to link some voice clips? I don't recognise anyone except Mercer on here.

Hello guys, been a while since I popped in.

Xander's the Super Smash Bros 3DS announcer.

Erika's known for voicing Kirigiri Kyoko in the English version of Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc.

Cherami Leigh as Komaru Naegi from Danganronpa: Another Episode

Erica Lindbeck as Misty the radio DJ from Trails of Cold Steel

Xanthe Huynh as Altina from Trails of Cold Steel 2 (intermission part-slightpotential spoilers...? Well, if you just want a sample of her voice I guess)

*Pops back out due to fear of someone "accidentally" writing P5 spoilers*

Dantis

"Show me your true form!" is a really, really bad line. Like, terrible. Whoever wrote it needs a slap on the wrist.

Still, I'm confident most of the other stuff. Morgana still sounds awful, but we already knew that.

I hope whoever it is speaking at the beginning isn't Kamoshida. Because that is not how Kamoshida should sound.

Zolo

"Show me your true form!" is a really, really bad line. Like, terrible. Whoever wrote it needs a slap on the wrist.

Still, I'm confident most of the other stuff. Morgana still sounds awful, but we already knew that.

I hope whoever it is speaking at the beginning isn't Kamoshida. Because that is not how Kamoshida should sound.

It is Kamoshida.

Dantis

I thought it was Soujirou?

This would be better, at least. The line fits Soujirou too.

It's still not perfect. There's no weariness to his voice. Maybe it's just that line.

But Soujirou is definitely meant to sound weary. That sounds like a youthful Dojima.

Definitely not. Sounds like someone subtly threatening the protagonist. Voice would also sound weird coming from Sojiro, but more natural for Kamoshida.

It does sound threatening, but it sounds nothing like Kamoshida.

I also just realised that Vic Mignogna would be a really good Kamoshida.

A little late, but some thoughts:

Xander Mobus as the protagonist: the only thing about this that I don't like is how little the protagonist talk. Xander blew the role of Dagda out of the park (even with Dagda having some really cheesy lines) so I'd lke to see him do more. He should be good with Arsene's lines, such as they are.

Cassandra Morris as Morgana: I have total faith in Cassandra as an actress, so I know Morgana will be pretty good. I say "pretty good" because even though I vastly prefer dubs, even I have to admit no one was touching Otani in this role.

Max Mittelman as Ryuji Sakamoto: Another great performance in Apocalypse is giving me confidence here. Hallelujah seemed like a pretty boring character, but Max made him someone I actually liked keeping around.

Erika Harlacher as Ann Takamaki: I have never heard Erika before, so I'm going in blind on this one. If her enthusiasim for the role translates in any way to her performance though, it should be good.
Now we just need a release from the Phantom Thieves about why they stole an "e" from her name... /s

Matt Mercer as Yusuke Kitagawa: Ideally, the cast of P5 would be all new, but Matt's so good I can't complain. I really like a lot about Yusuke--except his Japanese voice--so this could be the biggest gap between my opinion on the character in Japanese and the character in English.

Cherami Leigh as Makoto Niijima: Don't know Cherami either, but I've heard good things so I'll keep an ear out.

Erica Lindbeck as Futaba Sakura: In what is quickly becoming a recurring theme, Erica was fantastic in Apocalypse. She seems to have the range to pull off Futaba easily, so this should be another good choice.

Xanthe Huynh as Haru Okumura: Despite not knowing a lot about Xanthe, this is the casting choice I'm most excited about. Haru's been my favourite character based on pre-release media, and Xanthe seems like a good choice.

Robbie Daymond as Goro Akechi: I was really hopeful Robbie would be in P5, but I never considered him for Goro. Curious to see how this works out.

All in all, I'm stoked about the English cast. Most of them have never been a Persona lead before, so it's all fresh talent. I'm also really happy that Atlus is being upfront about who is playing who; makes it easier as a dub fan.

Edit: I thought the voice at the beginning was the principal of the school. Is that not a possibility?

Setsu00

Definitely not. Sounds like someone subtly threatening the protagonist. Voice would also sound weird coming from Sojiro, but more natural for Kamoshida.

Soujirou did seem like a massive jerk in the prerelease media. He was okay in his Coop video, but other than that he always seemed to be rather hostile towards the protagonist.

There's also a rumor that Kamoshida is voiced by D.C. Douglas.

Edit: Cannon_Fodder is apparently right, Richard Epcar voices the principal.

All in all, I'm stoked about the English cast. Most of them have never been a Persona lead before, so it's all fresh talent. I'm also really happy that Atlus is being upfront about who is playing who; makes it easier as a dub fan.
Atlus and Funimation have both started trying to celebrate their casts lately, which is great for the industry as a whole

Dantis

As the Principle, that's fine. No issues.

Now swap out Morgana.

EDIT: As far as Ryuji goes, I think he's fine. If I had a complaint to make, it's that he sounds veeeeery Yosuke.

I've had a theory for a while now that the recording for the P5 dub finished in August, and now I'm even more sure. The director posted a tweet saying "And that's a wrap!" then, which I assumed was P5 based on the vagueness of it. Now that I know Erica Lindbeck is Futaba, this tweet from a few days earlier makes a lot of sense. The drawing on the card is what caught my eye.

yKuxj5n.png

Co-Ops are now "Confidants" apparently

PK Gaming

Haha

So apparently P5 is being voice directed by Val? Who voiced directed Persona 4, Virtues Last Reward, Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 and a bunch of games with amazing dubs? Sheesh, that woman is immensely talented

Dantis

Haha

So apparently P5 is being voice directed by Val? Who voiced directed Persona 4, Virtues Last Reward, Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 and a bunch of games with amazing dubs? Sheesh, that woman is immensely talented

Actually, she didn't do P4. Just P4G. Which featured some questionable Chie lines.

Honestly, my only concerns are if the voices sound natural, and that the writing isn't too gamey.

Seda

Cherami, Cassandra are great. Max and Erica have only been prominent in the VA scene for a few years but so far I'm impressed by the work I've seen. This cast seems good to me.

I've had a theory for a while now that the recording for the P5 dub finished in August, and now I'm even more sure. The director posted a tweet saying "And that's a wrap!" then, which I assumed was P5 based on the vagueness of it. Now that I know Erica Lindbeck is Futaba, this tweet from a few days earlier makes a lot of sense. The drawing on the card is what caught my eye.

What drawing on the card-

...Ooooooooooh.

S-Links would have been fine tbh.

Confidants is still fine though, I guess.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Sae seems to be interested in who you link with because they sound like accomplices to your crimes. Hence her interrupting your explanation every time you start a new link.
"Social Link" doesn't really cover that. Confidant does though,
and alludes to the fact that apparently every one finds out about you being the head of the phantom thieves.

Dantis

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Sae seems to be interested in who you link with because they sound like accomplices to your crimes. Hence her interrupting your explanation every time you start a new link.
"Social Link" doesn't really cover that. Confidant does though,
and alludes to the fact that apparently every one finds out about you being the head of the phantom thieves.

I guess.

As an aside, the interruptions are really fucking annoying.

Top Bottom