• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona fans: What do you want out of Persona 5?

A darker atmosphere similar to persona1 or 2.Persona 4 although I loved it the story and atmosphere is the worst in the entire series imo. It was like watching an episode of kid show on nick jr. Everyone was pissing rainbows and shitting unicorns not to mention it was all bright and happy and just....... ugh. Oh and let's not mention the final boss was am absolute freaking joke.
Japanese goddess is bored because her favorite soap opera isn't on so she decides to toy with mankind lmfao.
Shit was wack. Id like a mature cast of characters and decent villain
nyralathotep>>>>
. If it's anything like the popular persona 5 "fan made"project I'll be happy.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Another glorious soundtrack, which is the only thing I know well about P4. :/

Weirder

Much weirder

Like make all the characters schizophrenic with their alter egos being their personas and have them flip out every once in a while

No region locking. Mature characters and themes. No region locking.

Hoping for at least two of those.

Otherwise more of the same please.

NichM

Banned
I know it's unlikely, but I hope they keep the school setting and move it to college, because I know almost nothing about what Japanese universities are actually like. The high schooler with a full plate of classes, clubs, and cram school and the salaryman working long hours and going drinking with his coworkers afterward are both well known tropes, but the period in between them is a complete blank to me.

I know it's unlikely, but I hope they keep the school setting and move it to college, because I know almost nothing about what Japanese universities are actually like. The high schooler with a full plate of classes, clubs, and cram school and the salaryman working long hours and going drinking with his coworkers afterward are both well known tropes, but the period in between them is a complete blank to me.

Lots of drinking and sex involved. And part time jobs and of course class :)

tokkun

For all the people saying you want a college setting, what exactly did you feel was missing from Persona 3 in that respect? It may have technically been a high school, but the main character's experiences were all consistent with college (living in a dorm, no parental figure, etc.). The only thing that wasn't really there was choosing classes.

And I'm surprised that in skimming through the thread I didn't notice discussion of revamping the demon/persona designs. That was the aspect that I found most repetitive between P3 and P4 (and other PS2-era SMT games). I would like to see at least 1/3 of the Persona catalog be completely new and have new art of the the others.

Snakeyes

Why do you say that? I think it would allow more freedom than the high school setting.

It may seem that way, but I disagree based on the content of the previous two Persona games.

Were the characters free to go as they please? Absolutely. Persona 3's cast pretty much lived in a what we would consider as a college dorm, without any parental supervision.

Do the characters fuck? Yes, if you choose to do so. P3's cast even ends up in
a love hotel

Do they drink? Pretty much. Besides, I don't think real alcohol could've made this scene any better. What about the harder drugs some people start doing in college? That culture is almost nonexistent in Japan.

Part-time jobs? Persona 4 had them.

When you really think about it, Persona 3/4 already featured many elements of a college setting and there really isn't much freedom to be gained by shifting the series to the real deal.

A true game-changer would be a corporate setting where a twenty-something protagonist has just gotten hired along with a number of other recent college graduates. If Atlus aren't ready to make the leap, I wouldn't mind the series sticking with high school. Aside from that, I'd like Persona to take a few pages out Yakuza's book and become a little bit more sandbox-like. A female protagonist option would be nice and of course, keep the game turn-based.

Ezalc

Oh I want weird weapons and more battle panties, this time for both genders. Also have some kind of 1920s gangster battle outfits too that would be sweet. In fact just make all armor look different and have some kind of theme. Different personas also, more interesting/obscure deities and etc would be awesome.

SerRodrik

Making the combat mmo esque like this or making it a half assed action combat system are the only ways I wouldn't be there day 1 for Persona 5.

Yeah, really not a fan of that type of combat. I'd much prefer the series stay turn based. I wouldn't say no to a return to the press turn battle system, but I suspect that's not happening.

odhiex

Transfarring :)

Seriously... I like the idea of playing long campaign games, especially JRPG like Persona, anywhere I want to.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
- Catherine engine
- Persona 4-like characters and battle system
- Persona 2-like story

= perfect Persona game

To be honest, I hope they go for the yuppie/fresh grad setting like in P2:EP.

BlackJace

A darker atmosphere similar to persona1 or 2.Persona 4 although I loved it the story and atmosphere is the worst in the entire series imo. It was like watching an episode of kid show on nick jr. Everyone was pissing rainbows and shitting unicorns not to mention it was all bright and happy and just....... ugh. Oh and let's not mention the final boss was am absolute freaking joke.
Japanese goddess is bored because her favorite soap opera isn't on so she decides to toy with mankind lmfao.
nyralathotep>>>>

The storyline of 3 and 4 are dark as fuck. Take the endgame of 3 for instead. Shit was serious. And 4's idea of having to face yourself...do you know how traumatic that would be? Facing a part of you you've repressed, only to have it exposed AND over embellished.

I know, I know! But, if anybody can pull off the summoning of personae in an open, persistent battlefield I think it's Atlus :)

No matter how well it's pulled off, it's still a shift that I can't see being well-received. SMT is the last bastion of turn-based combat in the genre, so let's keep it that way including the spin-offs.

Alfredo

And I'm surprised that in skimming through the thread I didn't notice discussion of revamping the demon/persona designs. That was the aspect that I found most repetitive between P3 and P4 (and other PS2-era SMT games). I would like to see at least 1/3 of the Persona catalog be completely new and have new art of the the others.

Considering the next Persona game is supposedly going to an HD console, I'd imagine they're redoing all the demon designs, or at least updating their models to not look like crap in HD. New 2D artwork, sure.

Taruranto

One rpg direct sequel is all I want. Didn't need the anime to repeat the exact same story in another language, and I don't think there are any movies?

http://myanimelist.net/anime/14267/Persona_4_the_Animation:_The_Factor_of_Hope

There also light novels, the fighting sequel, the rehash on Vita. It's time to let P4 go, dudes.
And possibly play better games.

The storyline of 3 and 4 are dark as fuck. Take the endgame of 3 for instead. Shit was serious. And 4's idea of having to face yourself...do you know how traumatic that would be? Facing a part of you you've repressed, only to have it exposed AND over embellished.

- It wasn't even P4 idea
- I know, right?

5vv2h.jpg

Alfredo

nyralathotep>>>>

Persona 4 got pretty dark...
Your "little sister" dies. Sure, she comes back depending on your ending, but she dies in every story

Sophia

I want a Persona 2 style game. I don't want any of the crap that we got in Persona 3 and 4. No more weaboo high school simulators!

I really hate it when people use the term "weaboo" in regards to Persona 3/4, given that Persona 2 is by far the most anime like of the franchise. The plot is by far the most absurd of the bunch. Persona 3 and 4 are rather tame compared to some of the crazy stuff in the first two.

Don't get me wrong, I still love it because it was my first entry to the series, but try not letting nostalgia or whatever cloud your judgement for once?

SerRodrik

Persona 4 got pretty dark...
Your "little sister" dies. Sure, she comes back depending on your ending, but she dies in every story

And then
your friends debate the merits of murdering the guy they think is responsible for it. And you have the option of actually going through with it.
I'm not saying Persona 4 is super grimdark, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows either.

Actually, one of the things I like about Persona 4 is that it's not trying to be 100% grim and gritty the way a lot of games try to be, and it pulls it off well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, how would you guys rank the darkness of the Persona games? 2 and 1 are probably on the top for me. 4 was probably the least darkest for me.

Sophia

Just wondering, how would you guys rank the darkness of the Persona games? 2 and 1 are probably on the top for me. 4 was probably the least darkest for me.

Persona 2 (Innocent Sin, to be specific) is easily the darkest of the franchise so far, with Persona 3 not far behind. Persona 1 and Persona 4 have their moments, but they're fairly idealistic and optimistic compared to 2 and 3.

Atlus rep on a fg stream did state they had learnt a lot from P4A's fighting engine,

How will that translate to P5? I'm guessing a tales like combat system.

BlackJace

And then
your friends debate the merits of murdering the guy they think is responsible for it. And you have the option of actually going through with it.
I'm not saying Persona 4 is super grimdark, but it's not all sunshine and rainbows either.

Actually, one of the things I like about Persona 4 is that it's not trying to be 100% grim and gritty the way a lot of games try to be, and it pulls it off well.
I agree, I can appreciate when a game knows its a game, and doesn't try to force the idea that its serious down your throat. 4 is the least serious, but what's that got to do with it?

LuchaShaq

Banned
And then

I played 25ish hours of Persona 2 (hated it strongly) and all of 3/4 and these two moments are darker than basically anything else I've played in years besides possibly the endings of Deadly Premonition and Red Dead Redemption.

For people excited about the college setting....Japanese colleges are not fun places. For the cliches and complaints we have about high school settings, they're still better than the boring, depressing messes that are Japanese colleges.

BlackJace

The shadows were boring and underused. Maybe if they actually had some sort of secret that wasn't obvious from the first trailer...

This is how actually an interesting shadow looks like (P2 spoilers)

http://i.imgur.com/XU54a.jpg

Isn't that just a difference of opinion? If anything, I found their golden eyes and dark silhouettes creepier than that picture. And each boss had some sort of meaning to it's form, and I thought that was cool. As for underused, I don't see how it is when every main cast character had to face theirs...

But hey, you do you.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I also wouldn't mind getting rid of "Oh, main character dies, it's over."

iirc, that was only in P3 forward. That wasn't in P1 and 2. I would love to see that gone. In general, I wish you "played" as everyone, not just the main character.

5 isn't out. But it's probably still better than 4. 3 is the best, but get P3: FES for 10$ on PSN. You don't need to play one to understand the other.

3 if you like listening to MCR and cutting your wrists :3

I had to balance out the other post

5 is not out yet :/ I preferred 4 to 3 because I had full party control and I liked the lighter tone of the story better (though 3's was still amazing). If you buy 3, make sure to get Persona 3 FES, adds alot more to the game.

But the mechas
don't exist.
Aigis definitely felt weird IMO, a sentient robot in 1999? Come on... but at they managed to keep her grounded.

Labrys now, that was fucking stupid.

Persona 2. Yes, P3 didn't start with 3! Plot twist!
I apologize, I meant that I saw 2, 3 and 4 at the store. Thanks for the replies, now I at least have an idea what I should look into first.

After Catherine, I was expecting and hoping Atlus made a Persona game with that engine by now. I always assumed Catherine was a experiment with their new engine, kind of like a groundwork for a current-gen Persona game.

I welcome re-releases but I know everyone wants P5 with updated graphics. It'd be disappointing if it was released on the next-gen systems, although I doubt it. Wasn't Persona 4 released during the end of PS2's life cycle? So it shouldn't be a surprise if Atlus did release Persona 5 by the time the next-gen systems are out. I just thought we'd hear something by now.

Taruranto

Isn't that just a difference of opinion? If anything, I found their golden eyes and dark silhouettes creepier than that picture. And each boss had some sort of meaning to it's form, and I thought that was cool. As for underused, I don't see how it is when every main cast character had to face theirs...

But hey, you do you.

The shadows are supposedly their "hidden" self, but their secrets are painful obvious to everyone. I even remember the first P4 trailers, everyone was already speculating
Kanji's possible homosexuality and Naoto true gender.
None of their "secrets" were interesting to me because i already figured them out, it was like watching people walking in circle. Discovering that Yukiko once killed a kitten would have been more awesome and actually a dark secret.

Also, who gives a fuck about Yosuke and Chie's secrets? I just meet them.
Shadow Lisa
was awesome because you thought you knew her, she has been on your party for 30 hours and then BAM, it turns out you still didn't know her. It was shocking and a slap in the face.

Yosuke didn't care about Saki? Cry me a river.

EVOL 100%

-Another shake up of the formula. The current one is good too, but it needs some serious refining to make it feel fresh the third time. There's too many stretches of time where nothing really happens. They fixed this a bit in P4, but it still needs some work.

-Female protagonist available. The reason why there wasn't in P4G was understandable, but disappointing nevertheless.

-Please stop treating P1 and P2 like redheaded stepchildren and at least try to incorporate them in the lore. Oh wait, too late for that I guess lol

-Social links that affect story and dialogue directly. Come on, even Bioware's been doing this for years.

-Ditch the One More! system for a one that doesn't become broken when fighting bosses. Press Turn plz.

-Either have a cheery atmosphere ala P4 or become grimdark like P2/oldSMT. No in-between bullshit like 3. I'm leaning toward the former though, there's SMT4 for the grimdark that we know and love.

-Less fanservice. That shit is embarrassing.

-Dungeon design that isn't crappy. This is easily the weakest part of the series. The 'new' dungeons in P4 were superficial, dungeons that actually have traps and unique properties ala Etrian Odyssey or other SMT entries would be much appreciated.

Top Bottom