• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona fans: What do you want out of Persona 5?

Omikaru

All I want is a new cast of characters.

Besides that, I'm pretty laid back about what they do. I'd like Atlus to surprise me.

Zekes!

Also, maybe make it so that using your Persona has some kind of downside in battle, adding in the strategy of knowing when to use its powers

Don't know what to tell you. That's just how ratings/demographics work in Japan. Persona isn't even that bad compared to some of the other stuff aimed at elementary school kids there.

I do know Japan play it fast and loose with that kinda thing. If anything I'd have thought that'd be incentive to go a bit further with future Persona games. *shrug*

With regards to wanting older characters, I think it's worth mentioning that I'm at college now myself, so I'm generally less interested in high school kids as compared to '09. That said, Catherine did a great job with its twenty-something band of characters, so I'd like to see something like that attached to, well, Persona.

...As unlikely as it is.

CERO doesn't care about tone or intent. Games are rated entirely on actual content alone. SMT3 was CERO A - all ages.

Haha, oh man.

Soma

A goddamn release date!

But seriously:

- I'd personally like a darker story/theme more like 3.
- I don't mind a school setting just make the characters likable. College setting would be neat though.
- Keep Social Links but maybe refine them.
- Fast travel/more save spots
- Context-sensitive dialogue. Like if you're dating someone or whatever, maybe have dialogue for some NPCs/Party members change up a little.
- Better designed dungeons.
- More in-depth customization would be nice.
- Brand new cast but I wouldn't mind some cameos from previous games.

Finalow

ever heard of P2 (both IS and EP)? Yeah, that's what I want.
it's never gonna happen, it will probably be a dating sim but still I hope.

I do know Japan play it fast and loose with that kinda thing. If anything I'd have thought that'd be incentive to go a bit further with future Persona games.

With regards to wanting older characters, I think it's worth mentioning that I'm at college now myself, so I'm generally less interested in high school kids as compared to '09. That said, Catherine did a great job with its twenty-something band of characters, so I'd like to see something like that attached to, well, Persona.

...As unlikely as it is.

Well that's the thing with Japan. Here, people continue gaming in college and beyond. There, it's kind of expected you stop at high school. This might be changing a bit, but it's still a relatively pervasive mindset.

I mean I'm 25, so it's not like I wouldn't take a college setting over high school either, but that's just how it is.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welcome to last November.

I want pics, something. I don't look at it but anything other than incompetence. Atlus publishes many a good games but they can't even put out their biggest IP when people have been asking for years. Learning right from SE's book on how to bring your franchise a step back.

Natiko

Banned
something new, surprise me. In line with 3 and 4 but with new and older characters, different non-school setting.

I want next persona with 3 + 4 characters set after what happens in Arena to be a separate game with a different name, not P5

Pretty much sums up my feelings perfectly.

I want pics, something. I don't look at it but anything other than incompetence. Atlus publishes many a good games but they can't even put out their biggest IP when people have been asking for years. Learning right from SE's book on how to bring your franchise a step back.

If they were SE, they would have announced P5 the day after P4 came out. I feel like they are building something big with P5. Like major changes that will probably lead to a bunch of SMT games shortly after using that base.

Soma

Also, what if the next Persona took place in the past?

Like in the 60's or whatever. I think that'd be an interesting change of pace.

duckroll

I wonder if SMT will change. I wouldn't be surprised if it's less oppressive atmosphere wise with 4.

The comments made by the development staff so far seem to indicate exactly otherwise. Since these are the same guys who worked on the Raidou games and SJ, I would expect it to be even more oppressive, since Kaneko's creative direction is generally pretty bleak. I don't really think Atlus makes SMT for the larger audience anymore. It's a more "hardcore" niche series they continue to make for their long time fans, and that's it.

P90

something new, surprise me. In line with 3 and 4 but with new and older characters, different non-school setting.

I want next persona with 3 + 4 characters set after what happens in Arena to be a separate game with a different name, not P5

This

I was just thinking the same thing earlier today, a Persona with combined 3 + 4 characters. The two casts come back to rescue Nanako who has been kidnapped by heretofore unkown members of Strega. Chie and Naoto, as police officer and detective, start an investigation. The game mechanic would be Professor Layton-like. They enlist Kanji to begin to act act as a double agent in the yakuza. Gameplay for that chapter being GTA-like. Rise and Fuuka find Yu in a bar with Junpei and Yosuke... After several chapters that focus on a few characters at a time, he game eventually settles into Persona 3/4 turn-based battling. Social links open up according to interactions, but a personality quiz at the beginning of the game sets advantages and disadvantages for the social links., etc., etc.

Taruranto

I would like:

- More interesting dungeon designs, if they're still random at least have possible randomized events on each floor and make the overall geometry and tiling feel more natural. Take cues from western random dungeon crawlers in terms of how they handle asset design for randomization, and apply the Atlus touch to it. That'll make it way better.

- More cute mascot animal party members. Cute and cool Personas, more robots. I love robots. Maybe there can be a cat-dog thing which makes cute Japanese sound effects as it talks, and the Persona can be a giant floating fortress manned by robotic Neko-Shoguns. Would be fucking awesome. The missiles they fire would have dog heads on them too.

- More extensive Social Link system. It'll be nice if they branched more, and actually had different possible conclusions both good and bad. I want relationships to feel more meaningful when you're dating, and more dynamic conflicts if you try to cheat on someone.

- Music by Lady Gaga. That's the only way to improve the soundtrack. Meguro is like a great DJ, and Lady Gaga is the voice and the creative injection the series needs to grow even more popular. Her style is a good mix for the Persona series anyway.

- More robust calendar system so you can plan activities better. It'll be nice to have a lot more possible activities in a given day too, to make it impossible to end up with days where you have "nothing" to do and just waste them away sleeping. Those are the parts of Persona where you start to feel it is filler. More meaningful activities would mean you don't feel that way.

I'm confus

This

I was just thinking the same thing earlier today, a Persona with combined 3 + 4 characters. The two casts come back to rescue Nanako who has been kidnapped by heretofore unkown members of Strega. Chie and Naoto, as police officer and detective, start an investigation. The game mechanic would be Professor Layton-like. They enlist Kanji to begin to act act as a double agent in the yakuza. Gameplay for that chapter being GTA-like. Rise and Fuuka find Yu in a bar with Junpei and Yosuke... After several chapters that focus on a few characters at a time, he game eventually settles into Persona 3/4 turn-based battling. Social links open up according to interactions, but a personality quiz at the beginning of the game sets advantages and disadvantages for the social links., etc., etc.

Dude, wat.

I wonder if SMT will change. I wouldn't be surprised if it's less oppressive atmosphere wise with 4.

Hell no.

Sophia

The comments made by the development staff so far seem to indicate exactly otherwise. Since these are the same guys who worked on the Raidou games and SJ, I would expect it to be even more oppressive, since Kaneko's creative direction is generally pretty bleak. I don't really think Atlus makes SMT for the larger audience anymore. It's a more "hardcore" niche series they continue to make for their long time fans, and that's it.

In a weird way, the mainline Shin Megami Tensei series has basically become their dumping ground for any ideas too hardcore for the Persona series, and the spinoff titles for any ideas too weird for Persona. How odd.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I want something closer to Eternal Punishment in cast, but keep the social links from 3 and 4. I loved playing as a gossip columnist in EP, and would love more adult, working protagonists.

Also, I would love the in-battle conversation system from P2 back.

I also want a bleaker tone. P3 and 4 were too upbeat. But maybe I should just wait for SMTIV.

I sure hope not. Persona 3 and 4 were not bleak enough as it is. I wouldn't want them doing that to SMT as well

Alfredo

Oh yeah. I hear they added this to Persona 4 Golden, but no more randomized skill transfers during fusion. Let us pick and choose which skills carry over in Persona fusion. Eff being stuck in the Velvet Room for an hour, trying to get the perfect moveset by going back and forth, finally getting the right set of skills, but accidentally canceling out of it or get a fusion accident. BOO.

I also wouldn't mind getting rid of "Oh, main character dies, it's over."

I would like:

- More interesting dungeon designs, if they're still random at least have possible randomized events on each floor and make the overall geometry and tiling feel more natural. Take cues from western random dungeon crawlers in terms of how they handle asset design for randomization, and apply the Atlus touch to it. That'll make it way better.

- More cute mascot animal party members. Cute and cool Personas, more robots. I love robots. Maybe there can be a cat-dog thing which makes cute Japanese sound effects as it talks, and the Persona can be a giant floating fortress manned by robotic Neko-Shoguns. Would be fucking awesome. The missiles they fire would have dog heads on them too.

- More extensive Social Link system. It'll be nice if they branched more, and actually had different possible conclusions both good and bad. I want relationships to feel more meaningful when you're dating, and more dynamic conflicts if you try to cheat on someone.

- Music by Lady Gaga. That's the only way to improve the soundtrack. Meguro is like a great DJ, and Lady Gaga is the voice and the creative injection the series needs to grow even more popular. Her style is a good mix for the Persona series anyway.

- More robust calendar system so you can plan activities better. It'll be nice to have a lot more possible activities in a given day too, to make it impossible to end up with days where you have "nothing" to do and just waste them away sleeping. Those are the parts of Persona where you start to feel it is filler. More meaningful activities would mean you don't feel that way.

Gaga is not needed to Improve the music Lotus Juice and Yumi are just fine Shoji knows what he is doing.

Sophia

Oh yeah. I hear they added this to Persona 4 Golden, but no more randomized skill transfers during fusion. Let us pick and choose which skills carry over in Persona fusion. Eff being stuck in the Velvet Room for an hour, trying to get the perfect moveset by going back and forth, finally getting the right set of skills, but accidentally canceling out of it or get a fusion accident. BOO.

I also wouldn't mind getting rid of "Oh, main character dies, it's over."

It was actually in Devil Survivor before Persona 4 Golden, so it's a pretty safe bet it'll appear in most future SMT games. :3

StuBurns

Banned
I know in Japan they're two separate franchises, but it's strange for me to think of the 'mainline' SMTs as being niche while Persona seems poised to get fairly well known. I'd imagined SMT4 to be a big console entry, their huge push for the 'mainstream' (at least within the context of the genre).

It'll be nice if they can continue that hardcore/oppressive tradition, and it's cool we still have a platform or two that doesn't warrant substantial financial investment. I know a lot of people don't care at all where they play their games, but we're approaching year seven of this console generation now, this time last generation on the consoles we had Nocturne, DDS1, DDS2, Raidou and P3. Hopefully Persona 5 is not the only console RPG they manage to ship this generation. I can't imagine the PS3 is going to be like the PS2 in terms of long term viability for them.

duckroll

I know in Japan they're two separate franchises, but it's strange for me to think of the 'mainline' SMTs as being niche while Persona seems poised to get fairly well known. I'd imagined SMT4 to be a big console entry, their huge push for the 'mainstream' (at least within the context of the genre).

It'll be nice if they can continue that tradition, and it's cool we still have a platform or two that doesn't warrant substantial financial investment. I know a lot of people don't care at all where they play their games, but we're approaching year seven of this console generation now, this time last generation on the consoles we had Nocturne, DDS1, DDS2, Raidou and P3. Hopefully Persona 5 is not the only console RPG they manage to ship this generation. I can't imagine the PS3 is going to be like the PS2 in terms of long term viability for them.

You do know that SMT4 is already announced and that it's a 3DS game right? They've been teasing it for a few months now, and the first trailer will be out at the end of this month when Soul Hackers is released on 3DS.

Sophia

You do know that SMT4 is already announced and that it's a 3DS game right? They've been teasing it for a few months now, and the first trailer will be out at the end of this month when Soul Hackers is released on 3DS.

I'm sure he does, given his grammatical tense usage of "imagined." =p

StuBurns

Banned

Yeah, sorry, I didn't form that post well, I edited to make it clearer. I know even imagining that would be strange to some people, given a few major franchises have now gone mainline on handhelds, I guess I was just thrown off by SJ being DS and not getting a numbered entry classification. I remember at the time everyone saying it was effectively 4 (I guess akin to Peace Walker), so I just presumed it wasn't given a number because of it's platform.

Zoibie

I'd like to see them break out of the school setting. It'd be cool if you were a team of grown up reporters/investigators or something.

I was thinking the same. The murder mystery aspect was one of my favourite parts of the story in Persona 4; breaking away from a school setting would allow them to get a bit more intricate with the details. This is just my personal preference though and probably not even close to the direction they'll end up taking.

Tamanon

Banned
A cast of company workers, perhaps with one or two from a previous game. You could have social links from other coworkers and from different locations, along with branching Social Link paths, like befriending A might sour relations with B.

Then the "mystery" would be uncovering what sinister Shadowy stuff the company is doing, all while avoiding discovery that you're on to them. Could easily integrate into the internet setting, also a strong cellphone element.

Oh yeah, and absolutely needs Lotus Juice.

SerRodrik

I think it would be best to have Persona 5 be a new cast, and keep the Persona 3 + 4 stuff in the fighting games or in some kind of Persona 4-2 thing. Persona 4 has one of my favorite casts and I want to see more of them, but I also enjoy going in with fresh faces and finding out what their deal is over the course of the game. If they spit the crossover stuff into some kind of spin off series or something, then there's something for everyone.

Ezalc

More awesome jazzy music, more taboo topics, new cast of people who are at least in their 20s. Seriously, highschool is boring as shit Japan needs to stop with this crap not saying it needs to be in college but damn older people are more interesting than some dumbasses in highschool. Better dungeon design the ones in P3 are just boring, more interesting personas, better social link system, better events during the day, make fusing personas actually interesting I just find it a bother honestly.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I'm so freaking tired of P4.

How many movies, anime, spin-off sand rehashs do you guys need until is enough? :(

One rpg direct sequel is all I want. Didn't need the anime to repeat the exact same story in another language, and I don't think there are any movies?

Top Bottom