• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie defends Polish politician who believes women are less intelligent than men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source? For the same hours of the same job.

Genuinely interested. The ones I've seen clearly include parental leave and the differences of choices career between women and men, and discrimination ofc. (PEW research)

Within our research, we can perceive this effect. Across all levels, women in procurement earn 76% of men. This is about equal to pay-gaps detected across many advanced companies.

However, when examine salaries within the same job-role we should hope to see relatively even wage-levels. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Women appear to earn between 80-90% of men's wages in the same role.

It seems unsettling that in the 21st century that there still evidence of salary inequality between men and women. Indeed, in almost every advanced country in the world there is legislation that prohibits unequal pay for the same work. This may not all be down to active bias however. Many of the surveyed companies may believe that they

Aside from blunt discrimination, there are potentially other underlying sociological factors that may explain wage disparity. Women, for instance, tend to be less self-promoting than men, which may result in their losing out to males willing to make more self-aggrandizing claims to secure a top position. Similar claims are made about women's reticence to assert their own interests, whereas it is much more socially acceptable for men to behave in nakedly self-interested fashion.

Men may be better networked and therefore more connected to opportunity. Given that most of the top-job are populated by men and that, unfortunately, people still feel more comfortable making connections with those in the same gender, men are naturally hooked into a world of lucky-breaks that is entirely invisible to women. In forging female networks, the numbers are lower and this deficiency is especially felt within the higher levels.

The data in this research shows clear evidence that women earn lower wages than their male counterparts even when in the same role.

womens-salaries-1200x394.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jwebb/...s-than-men-even-in-the-same-job/#69dfedc34709

Basically the excuse of hours worked still doesn't come to bear since even at 22 years old when entering the work force, there is still a gap of almost $10,000 between men and women's median salary.

It's a shame Fantano is one of the only large music reviewers in a video format, cause his opinions are garbage and he's gotten closer to both sides. Hell he had an entire video bashing Katy Perry for promoting blm and feminism because he assumed she was doing it just for a career boost. For 10 minutes.
I really don't mind him much, actually I'm a fan.
He's an incredible speaker, has some interesting perspectives, and is a very (very) funny guy.
It's just his flirting with the other sides of YouTube that get's to me.
I mean it's not as though he's "alt-right" or that far gone or anything, plus he's somewhere on the left and definetly does some great things opinion-piece wise occasionally (such as his Watson video).
I don't have to agree with him on everything, I just hope he doesn't find the cliff and jumps off of it.

Oh yeah that shit is dumb af

I don't understand how someone can walk outside and say women are shorter than men... It's like a school kid saying girls have long hair.

I was specifically referring to the idiocy of this garbage politician who argued that women on average being shorter than men is a legit reason why why women have lower pay. I mean, wtf?

I truly don't mind him much, actually I'm a fan.
He's an incredible speaker, has some interesting perspectives, and is a very (very) funny guy.
It's just his flirting with the other sides of YouTube that get to me, I mean it's not as though he's "alt-right" or that far gone or anything, plus he's somewhere on the left and definetly does some great things opinion-piece wise occasionally (such as his Watson video).
I don't have to agree with him on everything, I just hope he doesn't find the cliff and jump off of it.
I don't watch him much, it was just the Katy Perry video and some of his 4chan audience that turned me off recently. He doesn't seem to be as bad as the rest though yeah that's true and he has a very good way of describing his opinions even if some of them are terrible lol

cromofo

Also this study by Payscale: which has a control on experience, education, hours worked and location

http://www.payscale.com/data-packages/gender-pay-gap

when we control for job title, job level and other important influencers of wages (like years of work experience), women still only make 98 cents for every dollar earned by men.

What are those 2% tho? Is it all blunt discrimination, or could be a statistical error?

Why did Obama run on the 77% crap? It's blatant misinformation.

Anyways, looks like we're on the right track. Thank's for the link.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I truly don't mind him much, actually I'm a fan.
It's just his flirting with the other sides of YouTube that get to me, I mean it's not as though he's "alt-right" or that far gone or anything, plus he's somewhere on the left and definetly does some great things opinion-piece wise occasionally (such as his Watson video).
I don't have to agree with him on everything, I just hope he doesn't find the cliff and jump off of it.

If he is making videos whining about how people are outspoken feminists for a "career boost" then I'm sorry to tell you he's already in freefall.

jviggy43

You guys do realize no one else is running with this news story, right? Crave online (posted in the OP) is literally the only article I could find using google news search and PDP's name. maybe take a step back and breathe a little?

Lol YES! Theyve arrived!

LowRoller

What angers me is that so much of his audience is kids. And as corny as it sounds when I watched shows like batman TAS growing up I felt inspired by them and I'm a animator because of batman. There's nothing to gain by watching pewdipie.

Izuna

Banned
When I worked a little in the Andaz (UK Hotel), it was like 90% Polish (inc. management) in the section I worked in. Men and women literally had different jobs. It kinda sucked because I had to lift these giant tables which traditionally were for two men to carry, but because these Arnold Schwarzeneggers had the same job, I was expected to move it on my own.

Men carried the tables. Women set them up.

But at the end of the day, we were paid the same.

I'm not really adding to this discussion just laying this off-topic anecdote.

When it comes to the gender gap, a woman who did the same thing I did might be paid less despite the job being the same in some industries. Even fi they were stronger than me etc.

That controlled number is much closer to what I was thinking.

The control numbers are also nebulous, state by state for example you till get an almost 10% difference even if every single minute detail between men and women is 1:1. The fact that there's any difference at all even when it's 1:1 is the problem, you then add in additional socioeconomic and sociological factors and differences between men and women and the gap widens more and more.

cromofo

The control numbers are also nebulous, state by state for example you till get an almost 10% difference even if every single minute detail between men and women is 1:1. The fact that there's any difference at all even when it's 1:1 is the problem, you then add in additional socioeconomic and sociological factors and differences between men and women and the gap widens more and more.

Just skimming through, majority of the states are around or under 3-4% difference.

When you add the outside and other influences you mentioned the "median wage gap" widens, not the pay for the same job and the same hours. That's a key difference.

Median wage gap is why we got the 77 cents on 1 dollar. It's lazy stats.

The controlled stats say "similar men and women in similar jobs". I'd wanna know if the "similar" plays a role in those 2%.

In 20 years time nostalgia will make some of today's kids dig up old PDP clips, and their minds will be blown by how regressive their childhood's entertainment was.

What angers me is that so much of his audience is kids. And as corny as it sounds when I watched shows like batman TAS growing up I felt inspired by them and I'm a animator because of batman. There's nothing to gain by watching pewdipie.
Think of the repertoire of rape jokes, slurs, volume level and alt-right talking points they'll have at their disposal though.

BajiBoxer

Banned
What are those 2% tho? Is it all blunt discrimination, or could be a statistical error?

Why did Obama run on the 77% crap? It's blatant misinformation.

Anyways, looks like we're on the right track. Thank's for the link.
77% was the overall average difference (not the same jobs). In the campaign ads the stat was misued, though in his State of the Union it was correct. It's all about phrasing and not confusing different stats. When it comes down to it, it can be complicated.

Politifact did a good job of sorting some of it :
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/jul/15/politifact-sheet-gender-pay-gap/

Turbo

Neo Member
I wonder how different this thread would have gone if it was on gaming side, I'd imagine a lot more bans.

I have no doubts there. The gaming community on gaf do not like pewdipie at all, only a few tolerate or like him there. HIs consistant high pitched speaking tends to put a lot of people here ( including me) annoyed.

On topic:
I don't think he is defending the polish politician ( or that he knows anything about him ) , but regarding the video itself, he seems rather naive in his thoughts ( and this is regarding the final points in the video not the middle portion of the video).

Screen%20Shot%202013-11-05%20at%204.04.18%20PM.png

I got this from gaf a while back when I was( and still ) lurking, mostly because it put my thoughts in check regarding the gender pay gap.

Edit: Forgot that the image also included race as well, I don't want to be misunderstood.

And regarding pewdipie being alt right, can't say I agree with that. I do agree that his sense of humor is weird (to say the least) and that also extends to his way of applying information. With that being said, I can't feel the same with his subscribers ( who seems to be mixed between attacking piers and attacking korwin right now). They are really annoying.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I was under the impression that Gaf does not like pewdipie overwhelmingly, I didn't think that there would be many defenders, was I wrong here?
GAF isn't a single person, there are a wide range of people here. He has his fans here as well.

All of these shitheads look alike.

...is that the guy who was a nazi, supposedly reformed, went against GamerGate, and then supported GamerGate after a woman (I forget who) gave a negative review of a game he liked (I think it might have been Dragon Age)?

I'm just surprised that any of these people would openly admit to being scared of women.

PSlayer

For the argument that women choose jobs in fields that pay less, maybe we should ask ourselves, why do those fields pay less? Taking into account the fact that when women enter formerly male-dominated fields, the average salary in these fields tends to decrease, we can probably hazard a guess

Well when women enter a male only field the amount of workers virtually double which based on the supply vs demand means smaller wages. More workers available,more companies can bargain for smaller salaries.

This actually happened in all fields when women started working.

Valhelm

contribute something
Fuck youtube. Fuck all of it. The site's format ferries naive young boys toward reactionary ideology by the millions, making it a huge component of the modern far right. Nearly all Alt-Right ideologues are based off of YouTube, and neglectful moderation and a horrible fucking algorithm allows the most hateful comments to sit at the top of any video featuring a woman, a gay person, or a minority.

People like PewDiePie and Jontron and Sargon of Akkad enable this system very carefully, in ways that attract far-right fans without scaring away the normies. Their egoism and cynical desire for more ad revenue is actively shifting our political discourse to the right and radicalizing a worryingly large segment of teenagers.

Amazing how filming yourself to talk for a living can inflate someone's ego. The dude who got popular screaming at Five Nights at Freddy's now thinks he is an authority on all kinds of shit.

kinggroin

Banned
Ok, there's a lot of shit to chew through. I'm hearing he defended a piece of shit but said it's because he was misunderstood and that women are equal?

Or something?

What's happening.

Fred-87

Y'all imagine children's programming 30 years ago saying this kind of shit?

Mr. Rodgers told me every damn morning that I was just as special as the white kids living next door to me. Reading Rainbow taught me that everybody is equal when you've got knowledge.

Pewdiepie is teaching kids that rape is funny and women should shut the hell up.

Maybe the internet being regulated like TV isnt such a bad thing :( I dont care about freedom that much if it means protecting children.

sa201674

Banned
Well, looks like the Sargon of Akkad and the Lauren Southern are starting to rub off on him.

Will he become the next Laci Green? Disastrous that would be!!!! But at least Laci was a sex positive educator who also catered to victims of harassment before turning into.. the alt-right whatever she is now.

Well, looks like the Sargon of Akkad and the Lauren Southern are starting to rub off on him.

Will he become the next Laci Green? Disastrous that would be!!!! But at least Laci was a sex positive educator who also catered to victims of harassment before turning into.. the alt-right whatever she is now.
I'm glad I only know Sargon out of those people, and even then it's a shame.

Jombie

It infuriates me that kids are being indoctrinated by his bullshit. There is already a concerning lack of empathy with kids at the present time, without this shitbag feeding them his noxious rhetoric. Harmless, huh?

Y'all imagine children's programming 30 years ago saying this kind of shit?

Mr. Rodgers told me every damn morning that I was just as special as the white kids living next door to me. Reading Rainbow taught me that everybody is equal when you've got knowledge.

Pewdiepie is teaching kids that rape is funny and women should shut the hell up.

Very true and concerning.

Valhelm

contribute something
Lefties really, really need to step up our youtube game.

Smug tweets and ironic podcasts are not enough.

I was under the impression that Gaf does not like pewdipie overwhelmingly, I didn't think that there would be many defenders, was I wrong here?

It's not so much that people are defending PDP, but more so defending SOME of the points he made in the video. And IMO, the only point I could see him making was the "myth" of the wage gap being caused mostly by discrimination against women. And I would say, from what I've been exposed to, the research is on his side.

Did anyone even listen to the freakonomics podcast I posted earlier? The guest on that episode was a woman by the name of Claudia Goldin, the Henry Lee Professor of Economics at Harvard University and director of the Development of the American Economy program at the National Bureau of Economic Research. Causes for the gender wage gap is complex and it deserves a thoughtful response, In which Claudia gave.

If tl;dr - discrimination can’t explain why women earn so much less than men.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom