• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PewDiePie defends Polish politician who believes women are less intelligent than men

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
Is Jaclyn Glenn also an extremely sexist woman for saying the exact same thing as Pewdie?

https://youtu.be/mZKYL29HNyc?t=176

*EDIT*
The majority of her video is off topic apart from the time stamp.

i think they're incredibly stupid since there's an entire government unit within the US department of labor that keeps track of the median weekly earnings of workers by occupation and sex. but i mean if you want to listen to her instead because you like to watch her videos i guess you can feel free to.

wlF54Yq.png

https://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat39.htm

also i assume all these shitheads get the idea that the gap in pay is greatly exaggerated from the same place. anyone know what the origin is? the polish politician?

My point is, there are many men AND women that have that same point of view. I also wonder how many people in this thread that are trashing Pewdie actually did their own research to see what he suggested might be true.

That women are less intelligent than men?

Dude.

That statement is nowhere close to being scientifically agreed upon.

Is Jaclyn Glenn also an extremely sexist woman for saying the exact same thing as Pewdie?

https://youtu.be/mZKYL29HNyc?t=176

*EDIT*
The majority of her video is off topic apart from the time stamp.

Oh, it's her...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfuVQC29s8

For those who don't want to watch it, she claimed that Elliot Rodger was mentally ill and not motivated by misogyny, even though he made it pretty fucking clear what his motives were.

Bonus fact, she's a plagiarist too.

Nepenthe

I never get this since it's been illegal for a while for men and women to be paid differently for doing the same job for the same amount of hours, surprised it's still happening.

Pay discrepancies can exist for a whole host of reasons that don't necessarily come down to a conscious, litigation-worthy workplace rule that stipulates pay based on gender. Biases during negotiations and pay raises/promotion is one such example.

My point is, there are many men AND women that have that same point of view. I also wonder how many people in this thread that are trashing Pewdie actually did their own research to see what he suggested might be true.
It has been well documented that women are being paid less for the same job as men. PewDiePie pretends like this is because they work less and have less high paying jobs and then says there is no gender gap. That is simply not true.

cromofo

I never get this since it's been illegal for a while for men and women to be paid differently for doing the same job for the same amount of hours, surprised it's still happening.

I don't think they're paid differently for the same job tho. It's a bit more complicated than that.

The studies that state "70% of what man makes" are pretty much in the wrong, the number is closer to 90 something %. Still a problem but not as much as it's been exaggerated.

L Thammy

The concepts of what intelligence is, how you measure it, and how you compare it to that of others are already horribly nebulous to begin with.

The concept of what intelligence is, how you measure it, and how you compare it to others is already horribly nebulous to begin with.

Pretty much the entire concept of IQ is rooted in Phrenology, a "science" that hasn't been considered anything other than quackery since Teddy Roosevelt was in office.

Alright man I gotta say this one thing though.

You've been sitting on this account since 2006.

How much do you have to hate a place to dedicate something for 11 years to just popping in occasionally and "being a troll" like. That's some weird dedication that I don't understand.

sol_bad

Why am I even engaging with a clear alt. Damn, I know better.

You judge someone based on a single sentence or two? Amazing.
I'm as far from alt as can possibly be. I'm just not judgmental and can accept other peoples ideas an opinions.

Alright man I gotta say this one thing though.

You've been sitting on this account since 2006.

How much do you have to hate a place to dedicate something for 11 years to just popping in occasionally and "being a troll" like. That's some weird dedication that I don't understand.

I'm just a lurker, I like to read more than involve. I just think the hate for Pewdie on this forum can be insane. I never watched any of his videos from when he played games and I don't watch many of his videos in general today. I have seen a lot more then just the videos that are randomly posted on here to try and give him a bad name though. He has a very particular humor and if you don't get it, I can understand not liking his videos, what I can't understand though is people just out right hating him.

I also wonder how many people in this thread that are trashing Pewdie actually did their own research to see what he suggested might be true.

The problem with this 'gotcha' is that PDP is not introducing any novel argument to the discussion. All of his positions are standard talking points by MRAs. They have been addressed and contextualized numerous times. There's no need to redo the research every. single. time.

It's like arguing with a Creationist. If someone actually produces a creative argument against evolution, then fine, let's go hit the scientific literature again for the 1000th time. But if someone is just regurgitating what some insane nutjob has been preaching for 30 years, then just tell them to go to talkorigins.com where their talking points are already collected and addressed concisely.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

What? Is his research so ground breaking that we have not heard it all time and time again in the past?

Corpekata

Banned

You realize this is a topic that has been discussed for like decades and not something that came up because Screamy Game Man finally stumbled upon it right? He's not saying anything new, he's spouting years old talking points.

Like when Jontron started spouting off his racist "stats" do you really think people needed to heavily research the garbage that was flying out of his mouth? They aren't doing research or adding new facts, they are simply people with a platform that are saying things that have largely been researched, debated, and debunked over the years.

Alucrid

Banned

implying that pewdiepie does research

Marow

I took a look at his Twitter and he RTs Trump, jokes about SJW (via Notch) and CNN etc... did something happen recently? o_o''

What worries me is how he has millions of followers, many young.

I wonder if Fantano will defend him again.
It's a shame Fantano is one of the only large music reviewers in a video format, cause his opinions are garbage and he's gotten closer to both sides. Hell he had an entire video bashing Katy Perry for promoting blm and feminism because he assumed she was doing it just for a career boost. For 10 minutes.

Slayven

People also believe the earth is flat doesn't make it factual or right.

A civil rights things been illegal for a while, doesn't stop them from happening everyday

Statistics show, very easily, very simply, that men and women who work the same job, working the same hours, who came up through the same company, still experience a pay gap.

It's not "73%" but it's still a gap, it still exists, this isn't debatable. This isn't "well what about X".

X has been accounted for. You're not revealing some "AHA" thing that literal decades of economists suddenly just missed.

Catvoca

Banned
It's a shame Fantano is one of the only large music reviewers in a video format, cause his opinions are garbage and he's gotten closer to both sides. Hell he had an entire video bashing Katy Perry for promoting blm and feminism because he assumed she was doing it just for a career boost. For 10 minutes.

Yeah, I think his reviews are pretty good but his garbage opinions outside of music really put me off watching his stuff anymore.

So a dumb asshole who made pointless content for kids is now thinking he should voice his opinion on a subject that his uneducated add knows nothing about? Oh he's alt-right? Carry on then.

Protect your children folks.

Slayven

Statistics show, very easily, very simply, that men and women who work the same job, working the same hours, who came up through the same company, still experience a pay gap.

It's not "73%" but it's still a gap, it still exists, this isn't debatable. This isn't "well what about X".

X has been accounted for. You're not revealing some "AHA" thing that literal decades of economists suddenly just missed.

You are not looking at the right research or feeling it from your gut

Dynasty

Got a feeling PewDiePie has been drinking the Sargon Kool aid. His comments sound very similiar to what Sargon has spouted in the past about the gender pay gap. Sucks that the largest YouTuber is essentially part of the YouTube 'Skeptic' community.

Yeah and gay people vote republican.

Also lmao at the implication that decades of academic and scientific studies could be in question because screamy game man (I like this) has a sexist opinion that he pretty much admits he doesn't know much about (which is nice plausible deniability for maybe if he ever decides to do a fake apology)

I took a look at his Twitter and he RTs Trump, jokes about SJW (via Notch) and CNN etc... did something happen recently? o_o''

Wow at that Twitter. This guy is 27... and he still acts like a 10-year old.

And like you said, all the classic alt-right stuff. SJW hate, Trump retweets, CNN hate, tweets to Keemstar.

L Thammy

His reaction to the Nazi junk was to demonize the mainstream media, which is pretty Trump-like too.

zeioIIDX

3/4 stupid.

Damn. I thought that used to be black people who were considered 3/4 of a human (or their vote was counted as 3/4 of a vote) back in the day. That was for women also? It's been a while since I took American History back in high school.

Wallach

I don't understand how this guy's alt-right bullshit is a surprise to anyone. Nothing changed since the last time, so...? Yeah he is still stupid enough to get manipulated by these people.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Damn. I thought that used to be black people who were considered 3/4 of a human (or their vote was counted as 3/4 of a vote) back in the day. That was for women also? It's been a while since I took American History back in high school.

Three-fifths, sadly.

Alucrid

Banned

it was 3/5s and it wasn't to vote it was just for allocating representatives. they wouldn't get to vote until the 15th amendment and women until the 19th.

Pau

The sad thing is I frequently hear the new version of this from people to explain why women are underrepresented in high positions, sciences, inventors, and creators: that the smartest men are smarter than the smartest women but the least intelligent men are less intelligent than the least intelligent women.

Also my little cousin watches (used to watch?) this guy. He's definitely picked up some wonderful opinions from the online gaming community like how if he was American he would have voted for Trump (he's Colombian). He's never said anything about women to me for obvious reasons though.

Izuna

Banned
By the way

His garbage opinion is basically this:

-- Ronda Rousey could never be as strong as male MMA fighters because she's a female, and that's true and we should accept that because otherwise, we undermine all her hard work and accomplishments

-- Apply that to intelligence...

;/

I uhmm... I don't understand? I watched the entire 15 minute video and all PDP did was recite studies and WHY women are getting paid less not that they SHOULD get paid less...

Are you guys not watching the video or what?

He is very clearly spouting garbage. He says "There is no pay gap. It's been debunked numerous times. And people who say there is just want to further their careers." (or words to that effect, I'm not watching it again to get the wording exactly right) Anyone who knows anything about this subject knows that is bullshit. The article I linked is a very fair representation of the video.

You guys do realize no one else is running with this news story, right? Crave online (posted in the OP) is literally the only article I could find using google news search and PDP's name. maybe take a step back and breathe a little?

Yes, Crave is the only one reporting. That's a shame. That's why I decided to make a thread so that the story gets more visibility. Maybe even gets picked up by some other outlets.

cromofo

Source? For the same hours of the same job. AFAIK that's illegal.

The ones I've seen clearly include parental leave and the differences of choices in careers between women and men, and discrimination ofc. (PEW research)

L Thammy

I don't understand how this guy's alt-right bullshit is a surprise to anyone. Nothing changed since the last time, so...? Yeah he is still stupid enough to get manipulated by these people.

From what I recall, he did donate a ton of money to charity, and after he was criticized for telling rape jokes he publicly admitted that he was in the wrong and decided to change. So I don't think he's always been so clear-cut.

Slayven

The sad thing is I frequently hear the new version of this from people to explain why women are underrepresented in high positions, sciences, inventors, and creators: that the smartest men are smarter than the smartest women but the least intelligent men are less intelligent than the least intelligent women.

Also my little cousin watches (used to watch?) this guy. He's definitely picked up some wonderful opinions from the online gaming community like how if he was American he would have voted for Trump (he's Colombian). He's never said anything about women to me for obvious reasons though.

That is so sad

Iksenpets

Banned
Why is Pewdiepie commenting on Polish politics, again? I haven't been keeping up, is he just some sort of alt-right-lite channel or, or is he still nominally supposed to be about games?

GKnight

Banned
Im not sure what kind of boring life you haveif you ever found pdp's videos entertaining. They are just embarrassing excuses for entertainment and I like youtubers like fitness youtubers that do a service by providing valuable information.

People like pdp are just boring nonsense.
Im not surprised he doesn't know enough to look up the research on the wage gap on an online scholarly database.

By the way

His garbage opinion is basically this:

-- Ronda Rousey could never be as strong as male MMA fighters because she's a female, and that's true and we should accept that because otherwise, we undermine all her hard work and accomplishments

-- Apply that to intelligence...

;/

she is also shorter

PDP is just rich enough and established enough now, that he doesn't need to hide his true feelings about shit like this. Sad how many prominent male celebs of the internet age turn out to have a streak of this shit running right through them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom