• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

WarRock

I would love to play MH as a sniper. I gravitate toward healing and ranged classes in star hunters. I guess I would be a glass self healing cannon. Let's talk about that. When you play this style of game, do you go for the same type of role, or do you adjust on a per game basis? I trend to the aforementioned ranged healer, but if it proves too unwieldy, I'll swap out with whatever the fastest class is. For example, I duel wield in Toukiden and MH, I play a Cleric in Ragnarok, and I snipe in Phantasy Star (though the katana has been calling me in PSO2). But I don't stray from one of those three. I suppose it has something to do with the way I look at combat: IMO the best three ways to stay alive is be able to recover any damage taken (healer), take out the opponent before they see you/can reach you (sniper), and be able to hit them more often than they hit you (dual wield/speed focused role).

I always play melee. That's where the whole struggle against giant monsters is fun to me: right into their faces.

Playing Ranger in PSO2 was pretty cool though.

jowell24

I remember seeing a year ago about a Monster Hunter on PC using cry-engine but intended for China

Last thing I heard was that a western release was slightly possible but man. What I would give to play MH on PC with friends.

Malyse

I remember seeing a year ago about a Monster Hunter on PC using cry-engine but intended for China

Last thing I heard was that a western release was slightly possible but man. What I would give to play MH on PC with friends.

Pretty sure that game is already dead.
*checks*

Okay, it's not dead. But they aren't going to release it anywhere but China.
MHOL-Crytek_Press_Release.png

Pity cause that game looks like the truth.

Gaz_RB

Bought Freedom Wars to itch that hunting scratch, but I found myself really disappointed in how the game was set up in terms of story and stuff. Not enough missions.

So I switched to Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (never played it) and it is hitting all the right notes. This game is awesome.

Bought Freedom Wars to itch that hunting scratch, but I found myself really disappointed in how the game was set up in terms of story and stuff. Not enough missions.

So I switched to Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (never played it) and it is hitting all the right notes. This game is awesome.

What weapon are you using? I played MH3U quite a bit, and started FU but didn't play all that much. probably going to go back soon.

MH4G multiplayer demo w/ english commentary: http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity

The commentary's pretty cool, and he's showing off the various new moves.

Actually using the dual swords, which are a blast, and something I never used when I played through MH3U, which was my first monster hunter game. FU is just a perfect hunting game for the vita. No bullshit, just hunting.

I've gotten back into it after you reminded me. using longsword atm.

Gaz_RB

What weapon are you using? I played MH3U quite a bit, and started FU but didn't play all that much. probably going to go back soon.
Actually using the dual swords, which are a blast, and something I never used when I played through MH3U, which was my first monster hunter game. FU is just a perfect hunting game for the vita. No bullshit, just hunting.

baekshi

Banned

Monster Hunter doesn't even have a story...

WarRock

Hey now, have you ever read the quests descriptions? There are some serious psychopaths out there in the MonHun world man.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Monster Hunter doesn't even have a story...

Since tri they have been attempting too add more of a story but its nowhere near the level of other newer games in the genre.

then again most people see the story getting in the way anyways lol

depward

The sense of progression. Still remember tackling that kut-ku and finally getting a kill. Similar walls against Khezu and Tigrex.

Once you defeat a monster, it's like you have all the confidence in the world.

Now - I am pretty much beat all of those monsters with a blindfold.

So I think I've got the hang of the various combos for the longsword in MHFU. Pretty awesome weapon once you've got it figured out. Always used dual blades or the switch axe in MH3U, so this is a nice change.

NeOak

Nothing

Pretty sure the game is still in Beta

I have no idea what the goals for MHO actually are

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Add a lot of zeroes to the right.

Btw, what about adding PSO and the unofficial server?

You can even play the GC version from Dolphin too.

Kyoufu

My hype for Soul Sacrifice 2 on PS4/Vita is high. Not that it's confirmed or anything, but it'd be so rad.

Maybe I'll give the new Toukiden another chance.

Malyse

I really wanna know how these sell on console. Like, did DW Strike force get a big boost from ps360? Does anyone care about the PS4 versions of these? Half of what I like about them is the portable part. Its why I want PSO2 vita.

I really wanna know how these sell on console. Like, did DW Strike force get a big boost from ps360? Does anyone care about the PS4 versions of these? Half of what I like about them is the portable part. Its why I want PSO2 vita.

I think GE2 will be a sort of test for these games. If it doesn't do well on PS4, I really doubt the PS4 gets another game from any of the established devs in this genre any time soon.

Malyse

I think GE2 will be a sort of test for these games. If it doesn't do well on PS4, I really doubt the PS4 gets another game from any of the established devs in this genre any time soon.
Well they did it with Ragnarok Odyssey Ace and Strikeforce already 😐

I just want the numbers.

----

Anyone not in the Freedom Wars OT or without the game yet, be sure to download the free DLC while it's still free.

Kyoufu

PS2 MH games did like 200k in their first couple of weeks IIRC. PS3 port of MHP3rd did 400k ish. MH3 did 1 million on Wii.

I think PS4 versions would do well and Sony will obviously push for it alongside a Vita version.

Historically the console versions of MH do 10% of what the handheld versions do. It's really only impressive due to the mainline entries being million sellers. If you follow the same trend for GE2... ouch

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is Vindictus any good? Is it super P2W? The reason I ask is because I am itching for a hunting game and don't feel like picking up MonHun again since there's a new one coming to the US sooner than later (I imagine).

Well they did it with Ragnarok Odyssey Ace and Strikeforce already 😐

I just want the numbers.
I don't think those are as widely accepted as good games as GE2, no? I don't actually know strikeforce, but ROA doesn't seem well liked.

PS2 MH games did like 200k in their first couple of weeks IIRC. PS3 port of MHP3rd did 400k ish. MH3 did 1 million on Wii.

I think PS4 versions would do well and Sony will obviously push for it alongside a Vita version.

I agree a PS4 version of MH would do well, but anything less than monsterhunter I think would be risky. also this...

Historically the console versions of MH do 10% of what the handheld versions do. It's really only impressive due to the mainline entries being million sellers. If you follow the same trend for GE2... ouch

Garteal

I've only actively played the Phantasy Star Online games and Monster Hunter. Other games I've played which are mentioned here are God Eater, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. Beat God Eater's SP and am waiting for GE2 if it ever comes out.
Crystal Chronicles I played back when it first got released for a bit but it's definitely on my list of games to finish.

Here's a question: why do you play this particular style of game? What's most important?
Now unto actually answering... for Phantasy Star Online I like it for its awesome loot/drop system mainly and now with PSO2 its combat mechanics are also good ignoring the obvious balancing issues. I've always liked the active combat system, the setting and the bosses from the PSO games.
As for Monster Hunter; I really like the hunting and the big list of items you can make. Nothing is more satisfying than completely destroying a monster and crafting equipment from the items you harvest from it.

Both games are especially fun in multiplayer as always (if you play with decent people ofc).

As for picking one singular "most important" feature... I can't do that. If I solely pick "awesome loot/drop system" you could pick any of the other loot games such as Borderlands, Titan Quest, etc, but that doesn't give me the same vibe as the Star Hunter games. It'd have to be a combination of things for me.

18-Volt

Ouch.

But I'm still hopeful since SEGA's 2015 console lineup for west has absolutely nothing for now. Just second batch of 3D Classics and HM: Project Mirai. Hopefully they'll change their minds and we'll see PS Nova in fall 2015. If nothing happens, we should complain this to Kamal Shahid. After all, he was responsible for Football Manager 2014 Vita port. He can make Phantasy Star Nova localizaiton happen too.

Malyse

I don't think those are as widely accepted as good games as GE2, no? I don't actually know strikeforce, but ROA doesn't seem well liked.
I think people that play MH are generally accustomed to higher difficulty. RO is a lite version of that. More accessible and more forgiving. But its not bad. Imagine for example how people would react to a easier version of Dark Souls for comparison. It wouldn't necessarily be a bad game, but people would fucking hate it.
Oh.

Shengar

Here's a question: why do you play this particular style of game? What's most important?

I just need a good game for my Vita so I bought Soul Sacrifice. Satisfied with what I played, then I play two other games in the genre; Toukiden second, then MH3U. I'm kinda glad that I play Toukiden earlier, it really eased me up and setting the right expectation when I picked up MH3U. Other than that, no particular reason beside beating/ganging up big monsters. What's most important for me is of course the gameplay and a differentiating factor that make each games in the genre feel distinct. With my currently short experience in the genre, I'm still satisfied with what I'm playing so far.

Ouch.

But I'm still hopeful since SEGA's 2015 console lineup for west has absolutely nothing for now. Just second batch of 3D Classics and HM: Project Mirai. Hopefully they'll change their minds and we'll see PS Nova in fall 2015. If nothing happens, we should complain this to Kamal Shahid. After all, he was responsible for Football Manager 2014 Vita port. He can make Phantasy Star Nova localizaiton happen too.

Ahh, Classic Sega 101
At least I can imported it when my Japanese is sufficient

Takao

Banned

Only doing same game comparisons:

PSP : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce ( Koei ) { 2009-02-26 } - 227,309 / 384,336
PS3 : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce ( Koei ) { 2009-10-01 } - 30,070 / 88,472
360 : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce ( Koei ) { 2009-10-01 } - 6,652 / 23,136
PSP : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce [PSP the Best] ( Koei ) { 2010-02-10 } - - / 7,436

PSP : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 2 ( Koei ) { 2010-03-11 } - 41,558 / 121,299
PS3 : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 2 HD Version ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2012-07-26 } - - / 7,940

PSP : Monster Hunter Freedom 3 ( Capcom ) { 2010-12-01 } - 2,146,467 / 4,502,846
PS3 : Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. ( Capcom ) { 2011-08-25 } - 282,960 / 441,375
PSP : Monster Hunter Freedom 3 [PSP the Best] ( Capcom ) { 2011-09-22 } - 15,113 / 299,008

3DS : Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ( Capcom ) { 2011-12-10 } - 471,055 / 1,589,804
3DS : Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [Best Price! / Black 3DS LL Pack] ( Capcom ) { 2012-11-15 } - 14,963 / 334,860
WIU : Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ( Capcom ) { 2012-12-08 } - 110,149 / 218,831

The PS3 version of Ragnarok Odyssey Ace didn't get a retail release in Japan.

PSO2 is a difficult comparison as the game is F2P. We know the Vita version has surpassed 1 million users in Japan, though.

None of these have been simultaneous launches, though.

Malyse

Only doing same game comparisons:

PSP : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce ( Koei ) { 2009-02-26 } - 227,309 / 384,336
PS3 : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce ( Koei ) { 2009-10-01 } - 30,070 / 88,472
360 : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce ( Koei ) { 2009-10-01 } - 6,652 / 23,136
PSP : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce [PSP the Best] ( Koei ) { 2010-02-10 } - - / 7,436

PSP : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 2 ( Koei ) { 2010-03-11 } - 41,558 / 121,299
PS3 : Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce 2 HD Version ( Koei Tecmo ) { 2012-07-26 } - - / 7,940

PSP : Monster Hunter Freedom 3 ( Capcom ) { 2010-12-01 } - 2,146,467 / 4,502,846
PS3 : Monster Hunter Freedom 3 HD Ver. ( Capcom ) { 2011-08-25 } - 282,960 / 441,375
PSP : Monster Hunter Freedom 3 [PSP the Best] ( Capcom ) { 2011-09-22 } - 15,113 / 299,008

3DS : Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ( Capcom ) { 2011-12-10 } - 471,055 / 1,589,804
3DS : Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate [Best Price! / Black 3DS LL Pack] ( Capcom ) { 2012-11-15 } - 14,963 / 334,860
WIU : Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate ( Capcom ) { 2012-12-08 } - 110,149 / 218,831

The PS3 version of Ragnarok Odyssey Ace didn't get a retail release in Japan.

PSO2 is a difficult comparison as the game is F2P. We know the Vita version has surpassed 1 million users in Japan, though.

None of these have been simultaneous launches, though.

Tell me how to read this. I thought it was
System: Game (Publisher) {Date} - US Sales / Japan Sales
But we never got any version of Strikeforce 2.

Maybe Digital/Physical?

Takao

Banned
Tell me how to read this. I thought it was
System: Game (Publisher) {Date} - US Sales / Japan Sales
But we never got any version of Strikeforce 2.

Maybe Digital/Physical?

That's just Japanese sales data from Famitsu. The days of us getting comprehensive info for North America are over.

As Baekshi noted, the numbers are ordered by first week sales and then the last reported total. Famitsu didn't track digital sales during the time those games were released, so it's physical only.

Personally I think part of the problem is that the formula doesn't change, and I don't be mean gameplay, I mean community interaction.

The town, party system feels incredibly limited, room swapping for ages trying to find a good room to play because at least on mh3u theres a max of 4 people per room, and this being 4 people per quest makes things awkward as fuck. Even the original MH on ps2 had 8 people per room. Not only that but the keyboard chat is severely limited so having conversations with people took forever.

Now phantasy star universe, that community interaction layout was fucking amazing. Player rooms and lobbies to explore, finding a quest with suitable partners was easy as well. Incorporate something similar into monster hunter and i'll be a happy guy.

RalchAC

It's obviously going to sell better on the Vita, at least in Japan. But releasing the game in the PS4 would actually give it a chance to pull decent to good numbers in the West and justify a retail version.

And didn't a Toukiden developer said they want to expand the series in homeconsoles? Toukiden 2 being a multiplatform game is a given at this point. It may even appear in X1, considering TK track record with multiplatform development.

Can't wait for Kiwami. A few days ago I felt like doing some new quests and I'm about to finish Chapter 7 (I was mid-way when I left). I don't like the Solo missions (mainly because purifying is slow and hard as hell, since the enemy is always attacking you) but the rest is really good. Last time I played I learned how to play with the bow and it works really well now. Blade and Frostwings are really easy with two bow users.

I want to try both the Naginata and the Rifle.

I wanna know the ratios for PSO2 for Vita, PC, and mobile.

I think mobile is a companion app, not the full game. So the ratios would probably be just Vita/PC.

SEGA should make a PS4 version and release the damn game already in the West in all three platforms. With cross-save / cross-DLC between PS4 and Vita.

Top Bottom