• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

I was just reading the OT for the Japanese Import for Freedom Wars and was thinking about picking it up when it comes out this week in English. It says that at the time of launch, there is no Internet play available. Is that still the case?

I believe FW should launch with all the online infrastructure in place, as well as the various patches. However it's possible it will be patched in not long after release, I can't remember the official word.

Brick

I believe FW should launch with all the online infrastructure in place, as well as the various patches. However it's possible it will be patched in not long after release, I can't remember the official word.

Fair enough. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, just properly setting my expectations. Thanks!

baekshi

Banned
I was just reading the OT for the Japanese Import for Freedom Wars and was thinking about picking it up when it comes out this week in English. It says that at the time of launch, there is no Internet play available. Is that still the case?

There is online multilayer at launch and PvP will be available day one as a patch - iirc from japanese copy, that should be just around 119mb .

Also no online pass.

Korten

Banned
Still REALLY on edge about Freedom Wars. Part of me really does want to go pick it up tomorrow... But then part of my tells me that it might not be good. :(

Malyse

Still REALLY on edge about Freedom Wars. Part of me really does want to go pick it up tomorrow... But then part of my tells me that it might not be good. :(
I can't afford it ATM, so I'm good. But I prolly would, being that my first goal in any Star Hunter is to mess with the CAC options. Really want that demo though. Torn between wanting a low pick up to force a demo and wanting a high pick up to encourage both the genre and the amount of games being localized.

baekshi

Banned
Freedom Wars is rated higher than Monster Hunter 4G - going by users review that is, in Japan.

So by that comparison, Monster Hunter should be much more disappointing and awful than Freedom Wars right?

Korten

Banned
Freedom Wars is rated higher than Monster Hunter 4G - going by users review that is, in Japan.

So by that comparison, Monster Hunter should be much more disappointing and awful than Freedom Wars right?

Wat? I swore Freedom Wars got slammed by Japanese users...

TreIII

I'm actually psyched for Gundam Breaker 2, but it's MSRP is like 7500 yen or something like that. Between that and import costs, it's just out of my price range.

Right now, I'm torn between Gundam Breaker 2 or joining the PSNova hype train.

On one hand, GB2 seems to be doing everything to fix what I didn't like from the GB1 beta that kept me from pulling the trigger on the full release. But it's been so long since I've been able to play anything to the tune of Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinite, and the tri-Ace pedigree only urges me on more...

Malyse

Right now, I'm torn between Gundam Breaker 2 or joining the PSNova hype train.

On one hand, GB2 seems to be doing everything to fix what I didn't like from the GB1 beta that kept me from pulling the trigger on the full release. But it's been so long since I've been able to play anything to the tune of Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinite, and the tri-Ace pedigree only urges me on more...

Nova goes more down the MH frame than the PSO one IIRC. No weapon drops, but material instead.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere (maybe I just missed it), but GE2 RB is coming out on February 19th 2015.
I other news, the normal version of GE2 will be available for Japanese PS+ members from December to February.
The second part is great, since I wanted to do some post game stuff but already sold my copy (kept the save), so I can get ready for RB without having to purchase the game again.
It'll also scratch that coop itch before FF:E.

Malyse

It's PSU all over again. Much prefer straight loot drops in my PSO.
Spoiler: I only played about five minutes of PSU. I couldn't make it through the opening cinematic. I only ever played the online portion and the expansion pack. Ethan went straight into the "fuck this guy" pile.

Hrm, missed this thread.

I don't think it ever occurred to me that MH and PSO were similar enough to group in a genre, but I'll play along.

Much more of a PSO guy, personally.

baekshi

Banned
I'm going to add all the OT into the OP.

Nice, also may I suggest adding section for "Recent Release" which you can keep changing after a new game comes out. I think that way we can know what's everyone playing at the moment. Well, that's the idea I'm thinking anyways!

Malyse

Nice, also may I suggest adding section for "Recent Release" which you can keep changing after a new game comes out. I think that way we can know what's everyone playing at the moment. Well, that's the idea I'm thinking anyways!

I'm going to add recent releases and upcoming releases toward the top. And if the is an OT thread I'll add it to the franchise lists. But later. I'm on a tablet right now.

Flunkie

Banned
Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars! Freedom Wars!
pleasebegood

Malyse

We're still around. No public updates for a while as we've been super busy with a lot of contract work this last year. Meanwhile, we've ported our game & engine to PS4 and we're working on refining our setting and mechanics to better give our game its own identity.
When you get close enough for a release window, PM me and I'll add you to the OP.

I just put my first 100 hours in a "hunter" game with Monster Hunter 3U. It's really great, and I think I'm gonna start trying all the games in the OP, starting with Soul Sacrifice Delta when I get a Vita.

I feel like I've been missing a whole genre. This is really great stuff.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would think Diablo would need to be part of this as well, if PSO is in.

Nice OT.

Been a fan of MH since MHF2 on PSP. Moved on to MHFU, then MHP3. Bought a 3DS XL just to play MH3U (I've played nothing else on the 3DS XL since). Sold off the 3DS XL last week and I'm waiting for the n3DS to play MH4U.

In between those, I picked up the Vita and tried out Soul Sacrifice. Didn't enjoy that as much. And then bought Toukiden day 1. Absolutely loved it! Will get the expansion day 1.

However, MH series is still my favourite. I think I sunk in almost 600+ hours on MH series. I wished Sega will localize PSO2. Bloody hell...

Can't wait to try out Freedom Wars.

baekshi

Banned
Nice OT.

Been a fan of MH since MHF2 on PSP. Moved on to MHFU, then MHP3. Bought a 3DS XL just to play MH3U (I've played nothing else on the 3DS XL since). Sold off the 3DS XL last week and I'm waiting for the n3DS to play MH4U.

In between those, I picked up the Vita and tried out Soul Sacrifice. Didn't enjoy that as much. And then bought Toukiden day 1. Absolutely loved it! Will get the expansion day 1.

However, MH series is still my favourite. I think I sunk in almost 600+ hours on MH series. I wished Sega will localize PSO2. Bloody hell...

Can't wait to try out Freedom Wars.

I don't understand why people try Soul Sacrifice still, delta is seriously by far easier into and thousand times better. It is heavily loaded with lots of content too. The new story? Worth it, pretty satisfied even after paying twice.

edit:
Also heard many people not being able to get into SS and changes in Delta did the trick. The simple balance change was big one and combination too (it definitely makes faster pace).

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I don't understand why people try Soul Sacrifice still, delta is seriously by far easier into and thousand times better. It is heavily loaded with lots of content too. The new story? Worth it, pretty satisfied even after paying twice.

edit:
Also heard many people not being able to get into SS and changes in Delta did the trick. The simple balance change was big one and combination too (it definitely makes faster pace).
Because it was free on ps+ or they might've tried it shortly after the original release?

Malyse

For as many of these games as I own and as short as they tend to be, I have a stupidly low completion ratio. So ima finish as many of these as I can
and maybe even get gud
. First up, God Eater. Played about 7 hours before I got distracted, so in hope of Rage Burst, I'll give this another shot.

----

MonHun peeps. Is there any reason at all to finish Freedom Unite if I'm getting 3U or 4 later?

Great news as Koei has finally confirmed that they're looking to bring Toukiden to consoles

“Toukiden wasn’t without its fun on the PSP and Vita, but I don’t think it’s going to surprise anyone if I say the game’s presentation was hampered by what the PSP hardware could do,” Morinaka told the magazine. “Knowing that, I want to strive to improve the series on that front, as well as get it developed for home consoles.”

“We’ve definitely gotten a lot requests from overseas players asking that the series come out on consoles, too, so hopefully they keep speaking up in large numbers so we can make this happen.”

http://gematsu.com/2014/10/toukiden-kiwami-producer-wants-bring-series-consoles

See, but I hate this genre on not handheld. I even want Vindictus on Vita. (Sweet lord is Vindictus made for the Vita)

It's still going to remain on the Vita. He wants you to be able to play it while you're away from home and then be able to play it at home on a console. So i'm guessing a PS4/3/Vita release for the next game.

It's still going to remain on the Vita. He wants you to be able to play it while you're away from home and then be able to play it at home on a console. So i'm guessing a PS4/3/Vita release for the next game.

Yup. The studios who make these games have the brains to know that moving to console only releases for this genre would destroy any relevance in the JP market. They're gonna stay portable.

Prototype

I'm torn on the new 3ds for mh4u... The fact that it lets you take pics /post to miiverse is a feature I've been dying for. But is that alone soft to buy a new 3ds when I already have my gfs 3ds?
of course this would be a much easier decision if it was coming to console... :(

ramyeon

I'm torn on the new 3ds for mh4u... The fact that it lets you take pics /post to miiverse is a feature I've been dying for. But is that alone soft to buy a new 3ds when I already have my gfs 3ds?
of course this would be a much easier decision if it was coming to console... :(
Capcom disabled posting photos to Miiverse for MonHun unfortunately.

Still think it's worth upgrading to the N3DS for the Cstick and supposed performance boost in MH4G.

baekshi

Banned
Yup. The studios who make these games have the brains to know that moving to console only releases for this genre would destroy any relevance in the JP market. They're gonna stay portable.

The split market gap for GE2RB is going be interesting, I dont think it will exceed the sales of original.

Prototype

Capcom disabled posting photos to Miiverse for MonHun unfortunately.

Still think it's worth upgrading to the N3DS for the Cstick and supposed performance boost in MH4G.
Wait what? I thought this was a feature for mh4u if you are playing on a new 3ds.
Do you have a source for the removal?

If true, that makes me really sad. So what exactly does the new 3ds do for the game then?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Wait what? I thought this was a feature for mh4u if you are playing on a new 3ds.
Do you have a source for the removal?

If true, that makes me really sad. So what exactly does the new 3ds do for the game then?
The error message says that they want to prevent spoilers, the truth is that they don't want people to post screenshots of hacked guild quests etc. Visit the MH4 OT for more details, we talked about it there.

Fbh

Ok... so is there a game like Monster Hunter (cool enemies, fun combat, etc).

Without as much ridiculous grinding and tedious game mechanics?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ok... so is there a game like Monster Hunter (cool enemies, fun combat, etc).

Without as much ridiculous grinding and tedious game mechanics?
Soul Sacrifice felt like that to me when I first played it. In the end it still has some repetitive quest where you have to kill the same trash mobs over and over again, but no grinding is required unless you want some really powerful endgame spells.

Top Bottom