• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

My story with the genre is super simple

Saw MH on the PS2, hated it, got a PSP, played PSP, loved it, 3rd came out, decided to actually try it out, loved it, and proceeded to love every game in the genre.

I'll say my favorite is Gods Eater though (Maybe Freedom Wars in the future?)

Honestly, it boggles my mind that nobody made a sci-fi version of MonHun where you destroy giant machines to upgrade your robot-character.

This reminded me of Rengoku on the PSP (not a hunting game though), so I'll pass.

That being said, Freedom Wars and Phantasy Star are not that far off the mark.

Takao

Banned
Honestly, it boggles my mind that nobody made a sci-fi version of MonHun where you destroy giant machines to upgrade your robot-character.
0p6feke.jpg

I haven't played the GB games to say if they're anything like MH.

Malyse

You can customize, and build part - it's 4 player co-op, giants at the end (they drop parts also).. Fits well perfectly in here.

So it does.

Adding to HM. If someone gives enough for me to write up a description paragraph, I'll add it to the main franchises.

I'm actually psyched for Gundam Breaker 2, but it's MSRP is like 7500 yen or something like that. Between that and import costs, it's just out of my price range.

SpotAnime

Thanks so much for this thread, OP. PSO is one of my favorite games of all time, so this genre really resonates with me. Have always wanted to get into MH but the steep learning curve has put me off, for now. Some of the alternatives you listed might be better baby steps.

On a sidenote, I picked up Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce for the Xbox 360 last night at GS. Never new it existed until this post. $4.49 for a nice PO copy.

Looking forward to Freedom Wars...

Toriko games fall into this as well:

Toriko: Gourmet Survival (PSP)
Toriko: Gourmet Survival 2 (PSP)
Toriko: Ultimate Survival (3DS)

All were developed by NatsumeAtari.

Here's US on 3DS:

iCaPqFDUd9CY7.jpg

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/948/948517/
Finally some God Eater 2 Rage Burst screenshots of the PS4 version:

PS4

PSV for comparison

PS4 version day 1 for me :)
Oh my, I thought that the PS4 version will look only a bit better than the Vita version, but this changes everything. I'll happily trade playing 40 minutes at work for these graphics.
Yeah, A mecha hunting action game definitely seems like a no brainer. Gundam Breaker 2 looks kinda wack tho
GB1 was a huge disappointment for me on release. It got a bit better with the Vita patch, but was still far from perfect.
On the bright side, I played GB2 during this year's TGS and it was MUCH better. Gameplay was faster, combos felt more powerful. Looking at other improvements like leveling up parts, I'm buying it day 1 with very high expectations.

Takao

Banned
In that comparison shot, the PS4 version looks terrible tbh. I'm not sure why you'd buy that kind of game on a home console anyway, unless that's the only thing you own.

Please be coming to the west. Also please be cross buy or some discounted bundle.

That's not happening.

Raide

Seems like the Vita is the monster hunting handheld to go for. Well, if you import one of course. Amazing how stacked it is.

Infinite

In that comparison shot, the PS4 version looks terrible tbh. I'm not sure why you'd buy that kind of game on a home console anyway, unless that's the only thing you own.

That's not happening.
A lot of people are ready to throw money down for monster hunter 4 if it comes to wiiu so I don't doubt there's a market for it. Also if this game was in this states I'll get the ps4 version since there's bound to be at least something resembling a community for it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
In that comparison shot, the PS4 version looks terrible tbh. I'm not sure why you'd buy that kind of game on a home console anyway,
unless that's the only thing you own.

That's not happening.
Bandai Namco is doing a discounted bundle for Gundam Breaker 2, so why not for this?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
God Eater can stand on its own. It's a well established IP.
That doesn't matter. It's a way for the company to get more money out of people who wouldn't buy the other version separately and the discounts aren't that amazing tbh.
The Vita version in these cases is also download only so they have better retention rate as well, which is good for dlc sales.

Takao

Banned
A lot of people are ready to throw money down for monster hunter 4 if it comes to wiiu so I don't doubt there's a market for it. Also if this game was in this states I'll get the ps4 version since there's bound to be at least something resembling a community for it.

If there's no community for GE2:RB on Vita, there's probably not going to be one on PS4. The likelihood of it not having cross-play is low. Those Monster Hunter ports had them, as did GE2 on PSP/PSV.

Bandai Namco is doing a discounted bundle for Gundam Breaker 2, so why not for this?

I wasn't aware of that. They've released at least a dozen PS3/PSV games that have no discounts, so I assumed that wasn't going to change.

Malyse

That doesn't matter. It's a way for the company to get more money out of people who wouldn't buy the other version separately and the discounts aren't that amazing tbh.
The Vita version in these cases is also download only so they have better retention rate as well, which is good for dlc sales.
I don't think you get me. God Eater is big enough that bundling would only lose them money. There are enough passionate fans that they can bank on more people being willing to buying it twice outright than those who would only do so in a bundle. why would you cut yourself out of money like that? GB2 on the other hand isn't as big a deal. For that, you would need to entice people into double dipping.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
If there's no community for GE2:RB on Vita, there's probably not going to be one on PS4. The likelihood of it not having cross-play is low. Those Monster Hunter ports had them, as did GE2 on PSP/PSV.

I wasn't aware of that. They've released at least a dozen PS3/PSV games that have no discounts, so I assumed that wasn't going to change.

More like there is no community for the original GE2 since they took so goddamned long to release the MP patch that most people were bored of the title already and left.

Seriously hope they dont fuck it up with GE2:RB and do the same dumb shit that they have done not only for GE2 but also Freedom Wars.

Please be coming to the west. Also please be cross buy or some discounted bundle.

btw what exactly do you mean by discounted bundle?

Takao

Banned
Unless they're throwing money away by doing a staggered launch, there's no way GE2: RB launches without an online mode. The PS4 version would almost be completely useless.

Parakeetman

Unless they're throwing money away by doing a staggered launch, there's no way GE2: RB launches without an online mode. The PS4 version would almost be completely useless.

It shouldnt considering they already have the code for it worked into the original product. But the thing is all of us fans here constantly joke about it seeing how many BRILLIANT decisions they have made in the past so far. :)

Malyse

"Have a friend bring over his PS4 and a TV to play together."

Parakeetman

That's pretty much how they marketed GE2 on PS Vita TV, except with your friends bringing their Vitas.

The problem with them is they do the marketing ahead of shit is ready with both titles they talked about the whole multiplayer via infrastructure aspect before they had it done. Also all the fans know not to take what they say at face value anymore when it comes to "patched later (aka TOO LATE)" therefore am sure people will ignore any sort of commentary on that in the event if it does not go in initially.

Now if they had not said anything for both GE2 and FW about the whole infrastructure (internet) MP stuff from the start they wouldnt be the laughing stock that they are now with the fans.

Regardless of that though folks will still buy the game for the new content. Plus GE2 was an improvement gameplay wise over GE Burst. Though for whatever reason the AI seemed to go backwards a bit not sure why though. You can notice it with their AI routines while playing.

Hopefully too since its cut free from the PSP hardware restrictions we will have much better maps too.

At least the upside is they are good with their fans. The GE team that is. With all the free content they have provided. And the paid story content DLC did bring back one of the characters the fans missed the sniper Gina.

Parakeetman

What are the chances GE2 RB gets localised?

Better than the first GE2 considering this will be a more complete version. Plus it being on the console too will help push it out to folks who dont have a PSV. Though kinda stupid considering people wont know wtf is up with the story unless they played the first one.

Though just in case dont keep up high hopes.

Am pretty sure they didnt touch the first GE2 with how long it took for the infrastructure play patch to come out, therefore would have seriously effected sales in the West where that is far more important than adhoc. We would like to think that for GE2:RB will have the infrastructure in from the start as they already have had the code for some time now from the original version and its not like its a whole new title which would require a full reworking of everything.

I also think there's a decent chance GE2 gets localized. Most of the 'definitive' versions of hunting games find a way over here. Also the fact that it's coming for PS4 means the western market has potential to be a bit more responsive.

The real question is what are the chances GB2 gets localized...

Parakeetman

Oh strange, I've never thought how Phantasy Star started this whole "Hunter Genre".

It didnt, Phantasy Star was just more Japans answer to the "diablo" type of loot action rpg genre.

Monster Hunter started its own genre really.

this thread is always gonna be like 30% genre debate :lol

Thankfully, I kind of enjoy it. Always interesting what you learn about game history and such.

V - it continues...

Mozendo

Been playing God Eater Burst and Phantasy Star Portable, are there any other games that's (any more) new user friendly that can make me enjoy these types of games more? Because I've been playing them for about 30 minutes max a day. Might be picking up a PS3, will Ragnarok Odyssey Ace be a good choice?

Also not trying to derail, but how is FF14 a similar game? Destiny I understand, Lost Planet 2 I understand, but FF14 I just can't. It doesn't play differently than any other MMO.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Been playing God Eater Burst and Phantasy Star Portable, are there any other games that's (any more) new user friendly that can make me enjoy these types of games more? Because I've been playing them for about 30 minutes max a day. Might be picking up a PS3, will Ragnarok Odyssey Ace be a good choice?

Also not trying to derail, but how is FF14 a similar game? Destiny I understand, Lost Planet 2 I understand, but FF14 I just can't. It doesn't play differently than any other MMO.
Yeah, Ragnarok is a very "lite" hunting game, compared to MHs and GEs, so it's a good choice if that is what you're looking for.

And yes, FF14 is just another Everquest (WoW) like mmo.

Tengrave

Love this topic. Shame PSO2 is MIA in the US. Would kill for PSO Blue Burst 1-4 on Steam. Wish Capcom could give us a Monster Hunter game on PC/One/PS4.

Teremap

Banned
It's become quite clear to me that a big part of why PSO2 isn't here yet is because of massive licensing issues. They just keep throwing more and more collaborations into the game with every other AC scratch to the point where you'd lose something like 1/3 of the outfits in the entire game if you threw all of that out.

And yes, FF14 is just another Everquest (WoW) like mmo.
Everquest really, really doesn't play like World of Warcraft. WoW may have been influenced by it in part, but the two series play extremely different (EQ2 is another matter).

DJIzana

Love this topic. Shame PSO2 is MIA in the US. Would kill for PSO Blue Burst 1-4 on Steam. Wish Capcom could give us a Monster Hunter game on PC/One/PS4.

Yeah... maybe during one of these anniversary events they'd think of doing that. Maybe even redoing the zones in HD. What I wouldn't give to see the beach, forest, jungle, seabed or ANY of those areas, with next gen tech. Frick...

I was just searching to see if someone made a HD version, kind of like what they did with Xenoblade, HD'ing textures and I came across this video. Cel Shaded PSO... not my kind of thing but not sure if other people would find that cool or whatever. Again, I'd prefer a more next-gen approach. :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJHivpipEPU

It's become quite clear to me that a big part of why PSO2 isn't here yet is because of massive licensing issues. They just keep throwing more and more collaborations into the game with every other AC scratch to the point where you'd lose something like 1/3 of the outfits in the entire game if you threw all of that out.

Everquest really, really doesn't play like World of Warcraft. WoW may have been influenced by it in part, but the two series play extremely different (EQ2 is another matter).
I think part of the issue (which also plagued Blue Burst and Universe) is that the rate of content that releases far outpaces anything a translation studio could put out unless they put a AAA budget on it.

Malyse

ROA is the most newbie friendly of any game on the list.

And FFXIV is honorable mention.

btw what exactly do you mean by discounted bundle?

Combination of the PS4 and Vita game. Like another user said, it definitely wont happen, and much like with Dragon's Crown, I will end up buying both versions. Would be neat though.

In the end, hopefully both versions come to the west. That and Phantasy Star Nova looks pretty cool and would be a nice addition to the Vita in the West (too bad Sega doesn't see it that way).

Brick

I was just reading the OT for the Japanese Import for Freedom Wars and was thinking about picking it up when it comes out this week in English. It says that at the time of launch, there is no Internet play available. Is that still the case?

Top Bottom