• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

Malyse

I have a problem where I buy pretty much every hunting action game regardless of actual intent to play or presence of people to play with lol

Have MH4G in my 3DS, Toukiden, Freedom Wars, God Eater 2 in my Vita.

terrible

We gonna fix that. I have a plan.
Yeah, the welcome back package is great! Its such a shame that it didn't improve my skills any. I was playing on keyboard and mouse and struggled through areas I previously ran with ease. Timing the blocks and dodging enemies, factoring lag. Heh, takes a while to get used to.

The game's character models are surprisingly pretty too. The environments are a bit average but can't win everything.

Yeah. Its hella good for a F2P.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I hate a how PSO has been retoconned into a "Hunting Action" game. Is Destiny a "Hunting Action" game now too or do they have to be Japanese action RPGs to qualify?

It's not, that's why. It's whatever genre you want to pidgeonhole Diablo and its like into.

mstevens

Been wanting to play some japanese goodness like PSO2 so bad lately. I really hope they bring that over soon... Wish the other Phantasy Star games were playable on Vita...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Impressions time!

PSO2 - 750+ hours. I've played it on and off for the first 2 or so years as the leader/sub leader of the NeoGAF team. Has the most fun combat in an online rpg that I've experienced. I still come back to the game after the bigger patches, but with most of my friends not playing anymore, I manage to play solo for a day or two before I clear the new content and get bored. Sadly, I doubt that this will change any time soon.
I tried playing PSO2es for a while, but while fun at first, it wasn't good enough to keep playing.

Phantasy Star Nova - I've played the first and the TGS demo I have mixed feelings about it. They've released the list of balance/system changes based on player comments, but I really hope that they fix the performance. Framerate drops in a game which hugely relies on well timed guards/dodges can be very annoying. Guess we'll see in the second demo.

Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - Cleared it about a month ago to get in the mood for the new PSO2 patch. Fun game, although I'm sure it would've been much more enjoyable if I played it when it was released. It didn't age terrible, but it feels a bit clunky.

Monster Hunter - Back in the day I put a few hours into 3rd and 3G, but didn't find it fun. When 4 was released I spend around ~100 hours on it and fell in love with the series. The online multiplier and vertical movement were the best additions ever. Currently playing and enjoying 4G with 50 hours on the clock.

God Eater - Tried playing Burst on the PSP, but was put off by the camera controls. That said I gave the series a second chance when GE2 was released on the Vita and cleared the whole story while thoroughly enjoying it. Sold the game soon after because I don't really like soloing in these types of games and the multiplayer patch was still far away at the time. I'm pretty excited for GE2:RB and I'm sure I'll put many hours into it.

Lord of A - Aracana on the PSP was terrible. Apocalypse was my first Vita game which I bought together with the console on the release day. I think I put around 40 hours into it, cleared the whole main story and got bored during the post-story extra stuff with stronger versions of enemies etc. Still, a surprisingly fun game.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Cleared the first or both (don't remember) DS ones together with 3 friends during summer holiday. Despite a few shortcomings we had a blast. Never played the GC/Wii ones, but seeing some of the impressions I guess it's for the better.
Regarding Final Fantasy Explorers, I've played the demo during the TGS and it's not FFXI/FFXIV lite. It feels like a spiritual successor to Crystal Chronicles with some elements from the online games more than anything else. Still, I'm pretty excited and will get it day 1.

Freedom Wars - Bought it digitally, cleared the story and tackled a few of the high level missions. While the core gameplay isn't bad, some of the story stuff feels really half baked (and sometimes straight annoying). The balance is all over the place, with one gun dominating over everything else. Even with the recently added PvP I doubt that I'll play it again. Not a bad game, but could've been so much better.

Toukiden - Got bored after a few hours and an Xth quest requiring me to kill the same monster. It just didn't click.

Soul Sacrifice - For a long time the original Soul Sacrifice was my favorite "hunting game". I think I even platinumed it soon after the release. When Delta came out I bought it, cleared the new story stuff, did some online with my friends and sold it back. Can't wait for SS2 though!

Ragnarok Odyssey - More action focused hunting game with not so much depth. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it's nothing to write home about.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment - For some reason the battle system just didn't click with me. Dropped it twice and went back to normal MMOs.

Teremap

Banned
Literally the only games on that entire list that I've actually played are PSO, PSU, PSO2, and Vindictus. Hmmmm.

I did mess around with Monster Hunter a bit on my cousin's PSP but it really didn't hook me. Character creation wasn't great (PSO2 REALLY spoiled me on that front), visuals are typical portable 3D game faire (I'm obsessed with graphics, what can I say?), takes a while to really get going... just not really for me.

PSO2, unfortunately, has fallen out of favor for me lately largely because, quite frankly, their art direction is shit. Utter shit. The outfits are overwhelmingly busy with loads of doodads that have a high tendency to completely ruin the look, the character models have some really weird quirks and omissions (the feet, the static hands, the belly, the posture on females, the inability to not be heavily muscled for males, no waist:hip ratio slider), and the environments are just consistently bland. At first I thought the horrifyingly bad balancing was keeping me away, but even after the most recent massive balancing pass I find that I just can't care as much when I'm not at all happy with how my characters look or the blandness of the environments. I mean... call me shallow, but that's how it is for me. I need to be pulled in by the artwork and the atmosphere and all, and PSO2 just fails to do that for me.

Meanwhile, Vindictus is... eh. Just... eh.

My standards are too damn high. I will never truly be pleased.

And yes, I do realize the irony of saying all this when my avatar is of a PSO2 character.

Can we discuss how salty we all are that monster hunter frontier never made it out to the west, arguable the most content and biggest scope of any monster hunter ever.

Then after playing PSO and PSU the same hit happens with PSO2.

I cry salty tears everytime.

Can we discuss how salty we all are that monster hunter frontier never made it out to the west, arguable the most content and biggest scope of any monster hunter ever.

Then after playing PSO and PSU the same hit happens with PSO2.

I cry salty tears everytime.

Yeah, it's pretty shithouse. Would've loved to play either one.

Great OP, by the way. I think I might park myself here for awhile, my kind of thread.

ohlawd

welp, can't fit in here

I only enjoy MH. Everything else plays like character action game-lite

why play X or Y when they play like a dumbed down DMC or some shit? >_>

froliq

Now that online play has become a standard in this genre, it has become one of my favourite. Maybe I should say Monster Hunter has become one of my favourite series as I haven't really played much of the others. Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden are good games but they just haven't really clicked with me like Monster Hunter. PSO2 has been great fun, a shame about the IP blocks currently, would have played more and it was my first Phantasy Star so I should be trying more of those in the future. God Eater and Freedom Wars look really interesting but heh the one I'm really waiting for is 4 ultimate.

welp, can't fit in here

I only enjoy MH. Everything else plays like character action game-lite

why play X or Y when they play like a dumbed down DMC or some shit? >_>
I do agree with this. I tried both Phantasy Star (U) and God Eater Burst to try to scratch that MH itch but neither holds a candle.

Rurunaki

Monster Hunter would be the game that got me hooked into "hunting games." The ps2 and psp versions. I just wish that Monster Hunter will go back to Consoles as it feels clunky playing on the 3ds.

I'll agree with the OP that Toukiden is the closest to Monster Hunter the Vita will ever have. However, for some reason it's a lot less dun and a lot more tedious.

Soul Sacrifice is another game I enjoyed and the story is what really sets it apart from the other "hunting" games. Only thing missinbis variety. Eagerly awaiting for SS2.

The only Phantasy Star Online I played was the Dreamcast version which I enjoyed immensely. I have yet to try the current offerings.

For now I'm waiting for Freedom Wars and God Eater which hopefully is all they're hyped up to be.

Monster Hunter would be the game that got me hooked into "hunting games." The ps2 and psp versions. I just wish that Monster Hunter will go back to Consoles as it feels clunky playing on the 3ds.

This is my biggest gripe about the monster hunter series nowaday, the handheld thing really needs to go.

ramyeon

This is my biggest gripe about the monster hunter series nowaday, the handheld thing really needs to go.
It's not changing any time soon. Japan is MonHun's primary market and they sell best on handhelds there. There's no reason for them to move it to consoles where production costs would be higher as well.

Malyse

It's not changing any time soon. Japan is MonHun's primary market and they sell best on handhelds there. There's no reason for them to move it to consoles where production costs would be higher as well.

This is why I'm excited about New 3DS. I can hardly play any of these games without stick camera control.

K.Sabot

Been playing PSO on SCHTHACK server for the umpteenth time and I'm still marveled at how good the loot progression curve was.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's by far my favorite genre in the entire gaming industry.

I just wish to play PSO2 someday. North American version.

This and God eater 2..

We're so unlucky.

Ludist210

How bigs the population? Thinking of coming back soon too.
Same here. I do miss PSO, even if I don't have much time for it anymore.

I've also put over 200 hours on Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U) and I still haven't caught or killed every monster. So I have more work to do there...

How bigs the population? Thinking of coming back soon too.

It's not as big as it used to be, but there are still a good deal of people playing. You really have to get involved with the Schthack forums to get the most out of the game - that's where most of the trading happens.
Also, the admins can be divas sometimes. They like to make a few bucks here and there as well with XP boosts.

I played the shit out of Phantasy Star Universe back in high school. Found it to be a lot of fun and made me want to try out Online or something similar, but I'm a bit too lazy to work everything the second one. Lost Planet 2 was really exciting to play too.

cyborg009

Banned
Got Soul Sacrifice Delta platnium a few weeks ago, took me a solid 125 hours to complete.
BzYavheCYAE_3gb.jpg:orig

But still God Eater is my favorite hunting game, I seriously hope rage burst comes over.

So many amazing games for the PSP & Vita....
So sad I never could get the money to purchase either. I pretty much stick with Nintendo products, but all of these Vita games are looking so dang good.

KingJolly

Banned
Soul Sacrifice Delta has one of the most emotional and powerful stories of not just any hunting game but video games in general.

I also enjoyed FFCC: Echoes of Fate. It also had a sad emotional story.

Lost Planet 2, is an amazing co op experience. Some stellar bosses. It was the pinnacle of the series. LP3 destroyed the little it had left.

Tried Monster Hunter freedom. Couldn't like it, the battles and movement were too slow and clunky.

FFXIV is awesome. Can't get enough of it.

Hoping Phantasy Star Online 2 makes its way here soon.

vocab

The only game I played till burnout was soul sacrifice delta. Mh just doesn't do it for me.

Also the last boss in psp1 is brutal.
I really don't like the game that much. The ai sucks. You have to grind revives for the final phase. Bleh.

I'm in for some freedom wars.

redcrayon

Didn't the DS also have Phantasy Star Zero?

Monster Hunter remains my favourite series in the genre, I've tried Toukiden, Soul Sacrifice and Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, and none of them grabbed me quite as much. I think what I love about monhun is the sense of a world and an ecosystem, the way packs of herbivores lazily wander around, and I can just go mining or fishing or foraging for a bit. Also the way injured monsters try to escape, sleep or eat to restore their stamina, and hunters do the same to sharpen weapons, rest, make traps etc. It feels like a kinda pacing control, wearing a beast down over time rather than always being in a life-or-death struggle. I spent 240+ hours in Tri, what a game.

I'm really hoping that we might see Phantasy Star Nova though, and FF Explorers sounds good too. I've also still got God Eater Burst to try from a recent sale.

Malyse

"Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society"
You don't see how this is a comparable phrasing to "Monster Hunter clone"?

So we gonna pretend that phantasy star online ain't up there. Kay. 😐

A. If I just called it The Star Hunter Society, no one would know what the hell it was and I would have spend all that time looking up series releases, selecting images, rendering logos, and typing for nothing. How would you propose I get the intended audience to click on this thread? This worked and worked rather well.

B.
These were almost certainly pitched as "It's like monster hunter, but..."
just like monster hunter was probably pitched as "its like PSO, but"

C. Maybe I didn't do the best job, but I did make an attempt at covering what differentiated each series from one another. Saying that they are clones (which I am not) and saying that one inspired the others (which I am) are two entirely different things. Let's not pretend that the vast majority of the games in the OP would even exist if not for the runaway success of monster hunter.

Now, I'm really over talking about this sort of thing. Its not why I spent so much time making this thread.

----

So, who plans on getting freedom wars next week?

redcrayon

It's up there.
Ah, yes, my mistake. I just didn't recognise it under it's original name! 'Phantasy Star Zero' reads a bit more elegant on the box art than 'Phantasy Star Online Episode 0' IMO.

Great work on the thread, it's brought some memories back for me. I'm down for a physical copy of Freedom Wars next Friday, mainly thanks to Amazon UK's decent price of £22.99. Really looking forward to it, but I've been disappointed so many times with these games. Perhaps I should manage my expectations more :D

Malyse

I played that game for a little and remember not liking it. I do want Sega to put a phantasy star game on a console I own tho
and be bothered to translate the shit

It had the KH 358/2 Days problem. DS dpad was simply awful for 3D movement and there was no good option for camera controls.

Infinite

If anything I'll probably get freedom wars around Black Friday when the Vita and it's memory cards will most likely be cheaper than normal and there's solid impressions and a player base for the game.
honestly fuck the vita's memory cards

Malyse

I'm seriously considering it, hoping that the demo gets released in the west too. I'll probably wait for impressions since I'll be getting Hatsune Miku Project Diva f 2nd in November anyway.
OT: I get why people like the Miku games, but that voice is awful. The only fictional idol for me is Lumi, I guess.
grnk.png

Back on topic, earlier in the thread they said the FW demo isn't happening. Linked to dude's Twitter and everything.
If anything I'll probably get freedom wars around Black Friday when the Vita and it's memory cards will most likely be cheaper than normal and there's solid impressions and a player base for the game.
honestly fuck the vita's memory cards

I bit the bullet and maxed out on a sale a few months ago.

Top Bottom