• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online and Monster Hunter style games Thread: Star Hunter Society

Ogawa-san

I feel I got started with the genre on the wrong foot.

I've played Toukiden rabidly, over 250h on a game with very little content because combat was so much fun. Then proceeded to hate SS for making me hunt spell charges, and couldn't get into MH3U because of the camera and slower combat.

Where to go from here? Other than waiting until the new 3DS + MH4 for a second shot with better controls, that is.

Malyse

I'm not a big fan of CC but the art-style was top-notch, holy shit. I wish FFE looked like that. :(

In a perfect world, FFE would be a CC game. No, wait. In a perfect world, Crystal Bearers would have sold gangbusters and the series would still be thriving. Crystal Chronicles has some of my all time favor Square character designs. Particularly

FFCC-littlekingchime.png

Mira.jpg
Ffcc-tcb_character_bell.jpg

Ffcc-fiona.jpg

I think the main issue is that CC is all one world at different points in time a la Ivalice. It'd be weird with Cloud et al showing up in CC world.

NotEasy

Played almost every game on the list,i still think MH is the best,but i just platinum'ed God Eater 2 and i really liked it,i gave up on the last quest(87 i think) so freaking hard lol,i got some online players to help me and we did it in less than 5 minutes,not sure if the online quests are different from the single player (like MH).Now i'll just wait for the new GE,i played Toukiden too almost finished the single player,but i don't know something feels different maybe because i haven't played it online,ill give it a chance again,soon.

Infinite

you got the understanding of the statement wrong as the OP is clearly unhappy with the fact folks dont agree with the original list. Therefore there is truth behind the statement that if the OP wanted more on topic convos the list should be a bit more focused instead of trying to fluff it up a bit.

There are two camps phantasy star type of loot based action rpg or monster hunter based which is going mainly after large targets for resources to use in order to obtain better equipment. Both of these which are designed more with coop being a main feature of the title.

not counting the 2 s korean mmos at the bottom i literally own / played overything else on the list. and unreleased titles also dont count obviously :)

But 'Hunting' Action is a fairly nebulous genre tag for a game. Considering the fact that it was just a marketing buzz word from Capcom once their monster hunter series gained popularity when it went portable. It likely just reflects what you do in that game which is hunt monsters but Capcom didn't always refer to their game as a Hunting action game, afaik. This is something we see with a lot of Japanese games, I think a famous example would be Metal Gear Solid "tactical espionage action" tag line or "character action game" being used to describe DMC and Bayonetta. Just like with the term RPG that literally stands for 'Role Playing Game' but games that are out now that we consider to be apart of the genre leave little room for role playing and games that we don't do. The point is I think hunting action games have evolved from a buzz catch phrase that describe one franchise to a genre that encompasses the features that nearly all the games in OP contain. It's a young genre still evolving.

Malyse

This is not a good way to have discussion All I'm saying is that if you want a focused OP you have a focused OP, if you want something this broad and all encompassing then you shouldn't be trying to label them all as something that is a very specific and niche genre. Just call them Action RPGs as a blanket term instead of trying to abstrusely fit them into a genre that they won't.

Pretty much this:

You are actively hindering discussion to try and hammer a point that I frankly don't give a damn about. You don't like the way I classified the games? Tough. If you want to talk about the games up there, great! I'm sincerely glad to have you. But if all you want to do is argue about how this game doesn't belong or the definition is too broad or any other completely irrelevant asinine point, feel free to make your own thread. I simply do not care for your whining anymore. Please desist and actually contribute something meaningful to the thread or kindly leave. Thank you.

baekshi

Banned

I've played Toukiden rabidly, over 250h on a game with very little content because combat was so much fun. Then proceeded to hate SS for making me hunt spell charges, and couldn't get into MH3U because of the camera and slower combat.

Where to go from here? Other than waiting until the new 3DS + MH4 for a second shot with better controls, that is.

The obvious choice here is Soul Sacrifice Delta(it's more than just expansion) and Toukiden Kiwami/

Mephala

I love hunting games and I've been trying quite a lot of them over the past years. While I have stupid amounts of hours in PSO, MH is the king for me. It has a charm and polish that a lot of other games lack.

I wish more hunting games will drop the "gathering" aspect if all that is going to be is running around the map looking for "shiny" points.

On the PC, Vindictus is actually quite fun for a while. It feels a bit dated mechanically to be honest but I think it is still a very solid game. I have a level 60ish Fiona. I really like her defensive+knockdown gameplay. Particularly the way the game handles blocking, you have the standard block and the "Heavy Stander" where Fiona falls back into a braced position and you can now defend against most unblockables. Vella is kinda crazy too. Couldn't get into the others.

I'm happy to admit I'm not good at Vindictus. I miss attacks, I didn't put in the hours so I don't have great gear nor skill, but it feels damn good to knock down a boss with Heavy Stander Counter and watching team mates go to town on it.

ramyeon

But 'Hunting' Action is a fairly nebulous genre tag for a game. Considering the fact that it was just a marketing buzz word from Capcom once their monster hunter series gained popularity when it went portable. It likely just reflects what you do in that game which is hunt monsters but Capcom didn't always refer to their game as a Hunting action game, afaik. This is something we see with a lot of Japanese games, I think a famous example would be Metal Gear Solid "tactical espionage action" tag line or "character action game" being used to describe DMC and Bayonetta. Just like with the term RPG that literally stands for 'Role Playing Game' but games that are out now that we consider to be apart of the genre leave little room for role playing and games that we don't do. The point is I think hunting action games have evolved from a buzz catch phrase that describe one franchise to a genre that encompasses the features that nearly all the games in OP contain. It's a young genre still evolving.
You're definitely right that the genre is evolving, games like Freedom Wars are a good example of this. Although it's not the perfect game from the feedback I've heard from importers it changes things up a bit and adds mechanics from other genres (Like the 3rd person shooting and platforming with the thorns). It has definitely evolved past a buzz word and into a genre, but I don't think it's useful as a genre if you just make it as broad and all-encompasing as possible. I think for most Hunting Action game fans there is a specific gameplay style that constitutes the genre.
You are actively hindering discussion to try and hammer a point that I frankly don't give a damn about. You don't like the way I classified the games? Tough. If you want to talk about the games up there, great! I'm sincerely glad to have you. But if all you want to do is argue about how this game doesn't belong or the definition is too broad or any other completely irrelevant asinine point, feel free to make your own thread. I simply do not care for your whining anymore. Please desist and actually contribute something meaningful to the thread or kindly leave. Thank you.
I'm not hampering discussion, whether you intended to or not your OP opened up a discussion on the genre. I'm not whining either, but you seem to just want to be defensive and confrontational about this.

ramyeon

But they hate Soul Sacrifice.

Try the Ragnarok Odyssey or RO Ace demo. See how that suits you.
I hated Soul Sacrifice but absolutely loved Soul Sacrifice Delta, I think it changes things up enough to convert people who weren't impressed with the first entry.

Specifically loved the introduction of factions which allowed for more flexibility in your gameplay style as well as the balancing of projectile offerings and boosting of melee ones.

Also found that it was easier to obtain and farm offerings in Delta than it was in the original too.

Try out God Eater Burst. If you like that and don't mind importing then grab God Eater 2, it's fantastic.

Or you could always try Freedom Wars when that drops soon.

Malyse

I love hunting games and I've been trying quite a lot of them over the past years. While I have stupid amounts of hours in PSO, MH is the king for me. It has a charm and polish that a lot of other games lack.

I wish more hunting games will drop the "gathering" aspect if all that is going to be is running around the map looking for "shiny" points.

On the PC, Vindictus is actually quite fun for a while. It feels a bit dated mechanically to be honest but I think it is still a very solid game. I have a level 60ish Fiona. I really like her defensive+knockdown gameplay. Particularly the way the game handles blocking, you have the standard block and the "Heavy Stander" where Fiona falls back into a braced position and you can now defend against most unblockables. Vella is kinda crazy too. Couldn't get into the others.

I'm happy to admit I'm not good at Vindictus. I miss attacks, I didn't put in the hours so I don't have great gear nor skill, but it feels damn good to knock down a boss with Heavy Stander Counter and watching team mates go to town on it.
That's shield girl, right? (Hasn't played in 18 months)

I use Evie. I love a healer in general, but my god that scythe. Literally cutting down foes.

Malyse

I hated Soul Sacrifice but absolutely loved Soul Sacrifice Delta, I think it changes things up enough to convert people who weren't impressed with the first entry.

Specifically loved the introduction of factions which allowed for more flexibility in your gameplay style as well as the balancing of projectile offerings and boosting of melee ones.

Also found that it was easier to obtain and farm offerings in Delta than it was in the original too.

Try out God Eater Burst. If you like that and don't mind importing then grab God Eater 2, it's fantastic.

Or you could always try Freedom Wars when that drops soon.

Is Delta faster?

Malyse

Much faster. The boost feather offering lets you teleport towards targets and can be comboed with a melee weapon allowing you to zoom around the field to attack and dodge.

Hmm. I'll admit I'm a little burned out on SS, but I might power through to give Delta a shot. But Freedom Wars…

Has anyone else noticed that this type of game has the absolute best type of demo? Most of the time its like the first chapter or so of the game and your progress transfers. Speaking of which, does the progress for the Freedom Wars demo carry to the main game? Yes, I still have the hope that we'll get it.

roknin

The original Chrystal Chronicles was such an amazing game that nobody got to play. The GBA stuff killed it before it even launched... The DS games also don't do it the justice it deserves. One of my fav GC titles

Its crazy looking at it now. GBA was a weird handicap. I do think in the current atmosphere it could thrive though, since it could be done without requiring wires all over the place.

I'd love a revisit to that game's world and multiplayer, but without the hardware requirement for it, or just online play.

Though yeah, the bucket was admittedly annoying as hell. XD

I played it solo as well, didn't have any friends that had a GCN and a GBA and CC.

Anura

Its crazy looking at it now. GBA was a weird handicap. I do think in the current atmosphere it could thrive though, since it could be done without requiring wires all over the place.

I'd love a revisit to that game's world and multiplayer, but without the hardware requirement for it, or just online play.

I played it solo as well, didn't have any friends that had a GCN and a GBA and CC.

HD port please!

roknin

In a perfect world, FFE would be a CC game. No, wait. In a perfect world, Crystal Bearers would have sold gangbusters and the series would still be thriving. Crystal Chronicles has some of my all time favor Square character designs. Particularly

I think the main issue is that CC is all one world at different points in time a la Ivalice. It'd be weird with Cloud et al showing up in CC world.

300% agreed, the art of the CC universe was fantastic. Looking at those designs again... really miss it :-(

FFE looks pretty darn good, too.

Malyse

I had that one friend™

Four GBA's and link cables.

ramyeon

Hmm. I'll admit I'm a little burned out on SS, but I might power through to give Delta a shot. But Freedom Wars…

Has anyone else noticed that this type of game has the absolute best type of demo? Most of the time its like the first chapter or so of the game and your progress transfers. Speaking of which, does the progress for the Freedom Wars demo carry to the main game? Yes, I still have the hope that we'll get it.
Honestly if you're interested in Delta then I wouldn't bother finishing the vanilla version. Everything transfers over to Delta and after doing some introductory quests you can pick up right where you left off, complete the original story with all the new gameplay upgrades, and then do the new story content.

I don't think the FW demo data transferred, it was only a limited time demo in Japan too some I'm thinking we won't see it released over here.

SS definitely had one of the best demos I've ever played, Monster Hunter 3U one of the worst.

Infinite

Is Freedom War getting a Localization? I don't have a vita but I'm interested in at least giving that game a go. Same with Phantasy Star Nova.

I'm guessing you already know this, but it's probably worth noting that SSD and Freedom Wars are pretty different fundamentally, if you're looking for a game like Freedom Wars I doubt SSD will scratch that itch regardless of the improvements (and of course, vice versa).

Malyse

Honestly if you're interested in Delta then I wouldn't bother finishing the vanilla version. Everything transfers over to Delta and after doing some introductory quests you can pick up right where you left off, complete the original story with all the new gameplay upgrades, and then do the new story content.

I don't think the FW demo data transferred, it was only a limited time demo in Japan too some I'm thinking we won't see it released over here.

SS definitely had one of the best demos I've ever played, Monster Hunter 3U one of the worst.

UGH. I'm not completely sold on FW yet, so I need that demo.

Hmm. No reset is a pretty good deal. I had already cleared it so it wasn't too bad, but getting reset in ROAce was no fun. Especially since a lot of the best unlocks were much later in the game now. Took till like chapeter five to get the town theme right.

I'm guessing you already know this, but it's probably worth noting that SSD and Freedom Wars are pretty different fundamentally, if you're looking for a game like Freedom Wars I doubt SSD will scratch that itch regardless of the improvements (and of course, vice versa).

Oh I don't dislike SS. I just find it slightly oppressive and difficult to get in the mood for, which coupled with the fact that I find it too slow, gives me little impetus to play the game. But the speed thing is a game changer for me.

Plus I really don't know much about FW, save it looks super effing anime.

I think what I recall from import threads and general discussion was that it played much more like a TPS than a hunting game (as in monster hunter). Movement looks really similar in many ways though, so I think it probably is best defined as a hybrid.

baekshi

Banned
UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHH.

My will OT of Freedom Wars will get you covered :)

Oh I don't dislike SS. I just find it slightly oppressive and difficult to get in the mood for, which coupled with the fact that I find it too slow, gives me little impetus to play the game. But the speed thing is a game changer for me.

I think you'll surprised how much has changed between SS and SSD. The changes really make the difference, even more faster pace because of magic combination uses and tons of improvement overall in gameplay mechanics. I think this one game that you'll definitely want to try again, especially Delta version.

Malyse

So why should hunting action apply to every Japanese loot game? I'm sorry, calling every loot game that comes from Japan a "hunting action game", whether or not hunting difficult bosses for materials to craft is part of the game, is pointless to me when action RPG or loot RPG already covers the genre just fine.

It comes off as fans of Japanese games trying to act like PSO is not a Diablo-like, and not much else. Hunting action can be VERY broad, including games like Mercenary Kings that do what Monster Hunter sets out to do. PSO is not one of those games.

Fine. Then let's dissect the gameplay of the two games.

And we will ban any use of the words "co-op" or "Japanese".

Now what does MH have in common with PSO?

Or for another mental exercise, look at a game like Mercenary Kings, which in the most basic way, plays nothing like PSO or MH.

Yet it is a hunting action game.

Piece that all together logically and you have the answer to the conundrum that this thread presents.

You've obviously missed that we aren't having this argument. I am not removing PSO from the list. Please actually read what the current discussion topic is before you post. Thank you.

ramyeon

no it just has fixes improvements to issues with the original game plus all the new content. core mechanics are exactly the same
I think the teleport offerings alone speed up the core gameplay a HUGE amount.

Not to mention you get significantly more offerings every quest you do this time around.

Malyse

My will OT of Freedom Wars will get you covered :)

I think you'll surprised how much has changed between SS and SSD. The changes really make the difference, even more faster pace because of magic combination uses and tons of improvement overall in gameplay mechanics. I think this one game that you'll definitely want to try again, especially Delta version.

Be that as it may, SAO has taught me to not blind buy. Its not a bad game, but apparently a blind idiot qc'ed the translation. I'll wait for some live impressions of the English version.

Why are PSO2es and Agito both patching so much?

Mephala

That's shield girl, right? (Hasn't played in 18 months)

I use Evie. I love a healer in general, but my god that scythe. Literally cutting down foes.

Yes, Fiona is the shield girl. Evie with a scythe looks fantastic, sadly I never made it that far into leveling her. I dislike the healer classes because whenever I play them I feel obligated to heal everyone. :(

Malyse

Yes, Fiona is the shield girl. Evie with a scythe looks fantastic, sadly I never made it that far into leveling her. I dislike the healer classes because whenever I play them I feel obligated to heal everyone. :(

Heh heh. I didn't play for a while and they decked me out in top level gear for 60 days when I came back.
plus I had bought some nice clothing before.

Great topic.

But, I played some 200 hours of Type-0, and it really really doesn't fit under Hunting Action. It may have started development with that concept in mind, but the finished product is very far from that. The MP is completely throw away at best. Very very limited communication and MP tools. Hell, playing Tales multiplayer is a more complete experience.

Malyse

Great topic.

But, I played some 200 hours of Type-0, and it really really doesn't fit under Hunting Action. It may have started development with that concept in mind, but the finished product is very far from that. The MP is completely throw away at best. Very very limited communication and MP tools. Hell, playing Tales multiplayer is a more complete experience.

YOU! Stop ignoring me on Twitter. Also, already been excised. That's Agito in the OP.

Malyse

Oooh, just saw. I had my reply box open for a while so I never saw the update.

Also what's your Twitter handle?

@popcsc but I was mostly kidding.

New page get. Rank the franchises in the OP, excluding honorabke mentions. Also, note which ones you haven't played.

I'll just go ahead and sub, I'm all in for this thread lol. Back in the day I would of hated playing these games, but now? They are like, my bread and butter.

After getting home from a long day, I can just put some music on and do some mindless grinding, perfecting my weapons/armor, finding better strategies through experimentation, etc, etc.

My grind games this year so far have been SAO: HF (~100hrs) and Destiny (95hrs). Freedom Wars is dropping next week, so that one too is going to be added to the list, and I'm probably gonna sink another few dozens of hours on it :p

I have a problem where I buy pretty much every hunting action game regardless of actual intent to play or presence of people to play with lol

Have MH4G in my 3DS, Toukiden, Freedom Wars, God Eater 2 in my Vita.

terrible

Mephala

Heh heh. I didn't play for a while and they decked me out in top level gear for 60 days when I came back.
plus I had bought some nice clothing before.

Yeah, the welcome back package is great! Its such a shame that it didn't improve my skills any. I was playing on keyboard and mouse and struggled through areas I previously ran with ease. Timing the blocks and dodging enemies, factoring lag. Heh, takes a while to get used to.

The game's character models are surprisingly pretty too. The environments are a bit average but can't win everything.

Top Bottom