• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Dust Remaster now 8GB after uncompressed cutscenes were found

Wereroku

Wait a second, 480p? Didn't it run at 720p on the 360 via BC? Or was it only added MSAA?

The 360 probably upscaled it but the internal resolution would still be 480p. I doubt it will display 480p on a modern tv unless they are going to border it or stretch the hell out of it but even if it gets upscaled to a modern resolution it will still be rendering at 480p. But really they haven't been very open about that stuff so we are not sure.

Those looking for the interview where original resolution/framerate gets mentioned: http://www.polygon.com/e3/2016/6/13/11927046/phantom-dust-is-back-on-for-xbox-arrives-in-2017 Video in link.

3:00 "The original resolution and frame rate is exactly what you're going to experience. It is a little bit, you know, of a wayback machine."

Kinda blows. There will be some new people but I just feel like it being locked to 480p is resurrecting the game just to send it to die in a brand new way.

LOL...wat?

Looks at sarcasm meter.

Edit* I live in the US and have Charter. I don't have any data caps. Don't blame or go after game files sizes when it's these idiot companies that are to blame for caps. It's just an excuse to make more money.

I'm really triggered with the way ATT and Comcast are handling internet in my location so yes anything regarding caps piss me off. In a way what I said sound ridiclous and was out of place in other locations where I am at, we're pretty much crippled for $$$.

That's stupid, cutscenes should be compressed and offered at a lower size for the NA residents. Nothing good about this tweet.

The original cutscenes were terribly overcompressed -- they looked awful even at 480p. I doubt very much the new remaster will feature uncompressed video, they probably just mean with better source material they'll offer a nicer compression.

Werd

It better be real cheap if they are seriously going to have it run 480p, but despite all evidence I won't believe that is true until I see it.

Ishmae1

He is not saying that they will include uncompressed cutscenes. They found the uncompressed cutscenes and can generate a better quality encode now instead of just re-encoding the old compressed cutscenes.

This is 100% accurate. These are the same cinematics -- we never found the source assets and scenes that the cutscenes were created with ('04 archiving processes weren't great) -- but we have re-encoded them at a much higher quality than the originals ever were.

As an example, the encoding on the original Xbox version took a 1.6 GB video (the intro) and reduced it to 42MB.

Yeah.

Raw uncompressed data size, PD has 85GB of cinematics in it. For 2003/4, that's pretty amazing.

Jrs3000

My guess is it will be 480p upscalled to 1080p with the extra power of Xb1 running heavy AA and filtering to clean it up. Pretty much like running a emulator of ps2 games and running the extra processing on it.

Gestault

This is 100% accurate. These are the same cinematics -- we never found the source assets and scenes that the cutscenes were created with ('04 archiving processes weren't great) -- but we have re-encoded them at a much higher quality than the originals ever were.

As an example, the encoding on the original Xbox version took a 1.6 GB video (the intro) and reduced it to 42MB.

Yeah.

Raw uncompressed data size, PD has 85GB of cinematics in it. For 2003/4, that's pretty amazing.

That's fantastic, and thanks for the insight.

Any chance for clarification on the rendering resolution? Since it's Play Anywhere, I was surprised it sounded at one point like the renderer would only output at 480p considering how Xbox One games (let alone PC titles) push resolution normally.

LycanXIII

Yeah.

So what's the resolution?

Dio

Banned

Yeah.

Please answer the resolution question once and for all. Is this game really going to be 480p?

I can't imagine that Shannon's answer about 'animation files' is relevant at all for simply increasing the game's rendering resolution.

Dio

Banned
Isn't the lack of an answer also an answer?

Yeah, true. It would look bad for Microsoft to admit they're releasing a game in 480p in 2017, even if it's old. Even the PS2 classics on PS4 aren't running in their original res these days. I would love to be wrong, though.

Unless there is some sort of ridiculous issue with the internal rendering resolution, I'm not seeing the issue with running the game in native 1080p or 4k while leaving all assets, including the HUD, untouched.

Even if the models are old and low poly relatively they will still look better at a higher resolution than in 480p.

Since this game has multiplayer, and a dedicated, somewhat competitive MP at that, I can't imagine the increased viewing quality would be detrimental.

EvB

The 360 BC ran at 720p. That's why I'm thinking there's still miscommunication on the resolution, but it's not as though there hasn't been time to make it clearer.

Only a couple of games did (Halo 2) , but generally it was just the original res

shandy706

Yeah.

That is pretty darn neat that you recovered the original files. Very cool.

Can you put to rest the resolution arguments? Haha

I'm fine if the game renders at its original resolution, so be it...we could at least put the confusion to rest.

Why should the rest of the world suffer as a result of the USA's fucked up internet policies?

It's not the "USA", it's just certain companies screwing customers with data caps and monopolies (they'll act like it's not monopoly based though ;) ). I don't have data caps with Charter in South Carolina.

Use compression please...

They are...original videos are 85GB as said above.

NewDust

That's stupid, cutscenes should be compressed and offered at a lower size for the NA residents. Nothing good about this tweet.

That's stupid, messages by Ricerocket should be compressed and offered at a lower character count for the NA residents. Nothing good about this post.

Tain

hoping against hope this supports higher resolutions

I'll get it at 480p, happily, but even a PS2-on-PS4 style resolution bump would be wonderful.

Slaythe

JBksSLf.png

disgstd.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

They're not saying that they shipped the uncompressed version, they're saying that they opted to compress to a higher quality from the uncompressed version. If the quality of the original compressed copy is a 5/10 and they want to go for a 7/10, finding a 10/10 uncompressed copy lets them do that.

Ishmae1

I realize everyone here on GAF would like a definitive answer to the resolution question, but I can't give you that answer right now. Why? There's a larger story to tell about PD coming back, the challenges this specific version has faced, and how the team has pushed things upwards / forwards with the title. There are some die-hard PD fans in the press that have been eager to cover PD's re-release in some way/shape/form, and we want to give them the opportunity to share those stories through their sites.

I know that's not what you want to hear right now, but it's still coming before E3, and while all the assets are from the original game, I think many people will be pleased with the look / presenation - IMO, I've certainly not seen PD look this good (and play as solidly) before.

...and I say that playing on a 4K monitor in full-screen. =)

"please understand"

Gitaroo

And now re encode them all into HEVC codec please, save lots of space. I am willing to be these uncompressed cut scenes are still 480p quality anyway.

I realize everyone here on GAF would like a definitive answer to the resolution question, but I can't give you that answer right now. Why? There's a larger story to tell about PD coming back, the challenges this specific version has faced, and how the team has pushed things upwards / forwards with the title. There are some die-hard PD fans in the press that have been eager to cover PD's re-release in some way/shape/form, and we want to give them the opportunity to share those stories through their sites.

I know that's not what you want to hear right now, but it's still coming before E3, and while all the assets are from the original game, I think many people will be pleased with the look / presenation - IMO, I've certainly not seen PD look this good (and play as solidly) before.

"please understand"

ThpYjm7.gif

Dio

Banned

"please understand"

Good to see. I hope I get surprised with over 480p.

Of course, my ideal scenario would be a 4k compatible UI that is just the old UI redrawn either in vector or for native 4k, with 60fps, widescreen and all the retiming/tweaking that comes with, and either the old textures or new textures that are just the old ones but redrawn/redone at a better resolution.

I realize not all that is really possible depending on the scenario but hell, I own Phantom Dust already. If I wanted to play it in 480p I would just turn on my Xbox and play it online with its dedicated community over that one LAN tool.

If even a couple of those things, or just 1080p/4k support, is included I'm down.

SRTtoZ

The twitter account in the OP said that it's "not just upscaled" although they're not replacing the assets and that there's technical stuff afoot. I think it's being rendered at a proper resolution, not 480p, no matter what that quote says there.

https://twitter.com/Ishmae1/status/826952088433233920

Shannon Loftis, who you're quoting there, also said this:

"We're working with the original game code, but running it on an Xbox One, it just looks better, since the Xbox One is a much more powerful system. It looks more modern, the heart of the gameplay is the same, and the best part is, we're adding Xbox Live, with all Xbox Live features. It's an Xbox Play Anywhere game, it supports cross-play and cross-save, and best of all, achievements."

There's no way this is 480p IMO.

That's why people are a bit annoyed at the game. Its almost unbelievable that we would get a port of a game in 2017 in 480p.

Yah it sucks that people have Flintstones internet in 2017, but if you cant handle 8GB it might be time for a new hobby. You can't halt online game distribution just because someone from Alabama is still on dial up.

Snakeyes

"please understand"

About as clear as it gets without going into specifics. Thanks for the clarification.

rbenchley

"please understand"

Any chance of a retail physical release? I'm not very keen on digital only titles.

Top Bottom