• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil says January is time to talk about games for Windows

Uhhh it would be nice if you just stayed away from PC gaming MS. Last time you tried you killed one of the best RTS studios and made one of the worst DRMs in gaming.

PC gaming is doing fine without you. Lets keep it that way please.

Iacobellis

Wasn't a consumer OS.

It wasn't? I definitely had it installed on our old family computer at one point, before going to XP. Machine came installed with 98, switched to ME (terrible mistake), then had 2000.

The things you learn everyday!

Paz

If they announce anything that will only run on win 10 I will be sad. Microsofts track record in the PC space has been awful over the last... decade? so I'm not overly optimistic about this.

Kezen

Banned
I hope their games aren't Win10 exclusive.

It won't work. Even a Halo MCC W10 exclusive would bomb horribly hard on PC.
Microsoft should not overestimate the appeal of their console IPs on PC.

The only MS IP which I would really want on PC is Gears, loved Gears 1-3 and I would buy a Gears collection on PC day one.

Steam or gtfo.

But oh, i just know they will have some bullshit up their sleeves. Windows 10 app store only + xbox live account. Though no gold needed for online play. Because they´re nice...

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It won't work. Even a Halo MCC W10 exclusive would bomb horribly hard on PC.
Microsoft should not overestimate the appeal of their console IPs on PC.

The only MS IP which I would really want on PC is Gears, loved Gears 1-3 and I would buy a Gears collection on PC day one.

I don't think they honestly care too much about selling games. They want to ensure their new OS is a hit, (which 8 most certainly was not), so pushing DX12 and exclusive games would be a lot more incentive for PC gamers to upgrade. Since ideally they'd rather you get an XB1 and pay a monthly fee. software sales in themselves they don't care too much about.

King_Moc

Banned
Steam or gtfo.

But oh, i just know they will have some bullshit up their sleeves. Windows 10 app store only + xbox live account. Though no gold needed for online play. Because they´re nice...

Is it really bullshit for them to not want to give Valve 30% for doing nothing at all though?

Xando

Is it really bullshit for them to not want to give Valve 30% for doing nothing at all though?

Giving Valve 30% is better than not getting anything. I used the windows store (8.1) once for project spark, only had problems and won't use it again.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Not really, Valve just did what MS could have done but chose not to do a long time ago, it's a question of if MS even cares about that or simply don't want to pay royalties.

Valve has been outright hostile however which makes me more inclined to think they'll at least try to fight back as well as the homogenizing of the XB1 and W10 interface.

What would be pretty awesome is if Windows 10 had an initiative to compete with the Sony's Remote Play functionality - stream your XBO games to any W10 device. PC in another room, HTPC with W10, Surface / Surface Pro device, and Windows phones.

And in an ideal world, you'd be able to use your XBO to receive game streaming from your PC in return, perhaps even facilitating a steam client running on XBO which could integrate with friend lists and receive streams from steam on your PC.

It's nice to want things.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Prediction:
Minecraft pre installed with Windows. But with ads.

Only I don't actually think that will happen.

Speak for yourself. I for one welcome more pc games and hopefully XB1 ports.

Porting games to Windows? Sure, bring it. But few people are comfortable with them doing more then just releasing games on Windows, with their past history of goldfish style attention spans when it comes mantaining any focus on PC gaming.

ArjanN

Just put a couple of games like Killer Instinct on Steam, Hell, maybe get a few older titles like Gears 1 and Viva Pinata up there as well. No dumb client stuff again please. That's basically all you have to do to make more money and piss off (practically) no-one.

By 'nothing at all' you mean provide the infrastructure and market the games to Valve's massive userbase?

But we'll see, maybe they're dumb enough to try to reinvent the wheel again.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Porting games to Windows? Sure, bring it. But few people are comfortable with them doing more then just releasing games on Windows, with their past history of goldfish style attention spans when it comes mantaining any focus on PC gaming.

Worst case scenario you can just ignore it, I don't there's many developers that would sign up for something like gfwl exclusive anymore.

What would be pretty awesome is if Windows 10 had an initiative to compete with the Sony's Remote Play functionality - stream your XBO games to any W10 device. PC in another room, HTPC with W10, Surface / Surface Pro device, and Windows phones.

And in an ideal world, you'd be able to use your XBO to receive game streaming from your PC in return, perhaps even facilitating a steam client running on XBO which could integrate with friend lists and receive streams from steam on your PC.

It's nice to want things.

They've already released a USB terrestrial TV receiver that the bone can use to broadcast that TV signal to any connected phone/tablet/PC running smartglass, while gaming.

It only seems natural that streaming games to smartglass or whatever would be the next step. If you can stream video from a USB connected device, then why not from internal hardware?

Remember the reports of Xbox execs streaming halo to a phone during a closed meeting? It came during a time when PSNOW was the hot topic so People weren't thinking local streaming, but I have a feeling that it would have been a more local remote play type deal.

*praying*

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Actually. Watch them put the free Killer Instinct on PC with no option to unlock the complete content. And they'll be all "Hey PC gamers, see we do care! We're giving you a taste of all the fun and joy to be had on the Xbox One!"

Cerity

They're going to really have to pull their fingers out to impress with this. Especially with all the previous PR BS about gaming on PC.

Braag

I appreciate it that they have been bringing some of the XONE exclusives over to PC but please, pleeeease don't create another platform similar to GFWL. In fact just release your games on Steam and be done with it.

nampad

Of which year?

Don't have much trust in MS when it is about PC gaming. Steam is a good distribution platform and I can't see me swinging for something else easily.
If he is talking about some new games or ports for Windows, that would be fine. Unfortunately, my PC is quite old so it wouldn't run them and I barely play on PC anymore.

ArjanN

Worst case scenario you can just ignore it, I don't there's many developers that would sign up for something like gfwl exclusive anymore.

Well, they could probobably force it for their own stuff.

I'll feel sorry for Phil if they want to do something like that though. God, imagine having to sell people on that after GFWL.

Also MS has indeed made a lot of how they are interested in gaming on windows, but that was during a time where 360 was just doing the business for them. MS didn't really try too much at the end of next gen, or at least didn't put enough effort in the right sort of gaming business.

I don't think they have the option of complacency or not meeting promises this time around. Whatever they're doing has to provide something that is competitive. They don't have the mindshare, good will or the market lead to try a "see what sticks" attitude going forward.

They need to be focused.

Joohanh

One thing that irks me is the supposition that having XOne games on PC somehow hurt XOne sales or the console in general.

Sure, there are the constant idiots shouting "ONE LESS REASON TO BY IT" in every fucking related thread, but really, how big a proportion of potential buyers are these people? I'm pretty sure the largest target group consists of people who haven't already spent 600-1000 dollars for a gaming PC.

Ushay

I can see the appeal in cross platform 1st party titles if they do it right. Would still be a Microsoft exclusive if the PC version was purchasable via the app store. Having cross platform pruchase would be even better ie if you bought digital Quantum Break on Xbox One, you alos download this for your Windows 10 PC via it's respective app store for free.

This is all a dream of course.

dlemarc

There's only 2 things I'd want from this announcement. I want them to announce a wireless dongle for the XB1 controller and that recent first party games coming to PC through Steam. I doubt anything else would interest me.

I appreciate it that they have been bringing some of the XONE exclusives over to PC but please, pleeeease don't create another platform similar to GFWL. In fact just release your games on Steam and be done with it.

Which have they brought over? Ryse and DR3 were Crytek and Capcom respectively.

Going on the past history of Microsoft I think it is a safe prediction that whatever good ole Phil jabbers on about with regards to PC gaming will never actually happen anyway.

I personally expect a 2 hour presentation on all the "cool" stuff you can do on your Xbone from your PC in Windows 10.

To be honest all I want from Microsoft is for them to stop getting in the PC's way. If a first/second/third party developer want to bring a game to the PC and Xbone at the same time then JUST LET THEM.

Microsoft really needs to remember it owes it's very damn existence to the PC. It's the PC that has been bank rolling their damn console yet they do everything they possibly can to damage PC gaming.

If their (*new) games are going to be Windows 10 only, they will probably distribute them through the build in store like Apple does with their software.

Com_Raven

A while back, they were looking for people for a "AAA game in a famous startegy series"- so please, for the love of the gaming gods, give us a proper, non-mobile, non-F2P Age of Empires game.

Pretty please?

Faustus

Banned
Killer Instinct & MCC featuring crossplay with One

Halo.gif

Top Bottom