• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil says January is time to talk about games for Windows

What would be pretty awesome is if Windows 10 had an initiative to compete with the Sony's Remote Play functionality - stream your XBO games to any W10 device. PC in another room, HTPC with W10, Surface / Surface Pro device, and Windows phones.

And in an ideal world, you'd be able to use your XBO to receive game streaming from your PC in return, perhaps even facilitating a steam client running on XBO which could integrate with friend lists and receive streams from steam on your PC.

It's nice to want things.

Would love this! I actually tweeted the same thing back when Gamescom was on.

Killer Instinct & MCC featuring crossplay with One

Halo.gif

KI should be ok. MCC definitely not. Its insane how much of an advantage a mouse would have over the gamepad when it comes to FPS.

A lot of games really should have cross play though. Makes the community pool much larger. Especially for games that dont have that big of a player base.

_Ryo_

Why are people assuming Phil Is talking about PC?
Xbox's os IS Windows.
Xbox = Windows.
Isn't he more likely to be talking about Win 10 Xbox?
But then again the Killer Insticnt poll.....
But it is a poll.asking for PC port.... hmmm.

Several of those are the same under the hood. Specifically, 95-ME and Vista-8 have the same major version numbers(4 and 6, iirc); Windows 8.1 is actually Windows NT 6.3. Although by this logic Windows 10 would either be 7.0 or 6.4.

Vista-8 remained on 6.X kernel because when Ms moved from 5.0 to 6.0 on vista it broke many applications that used kernel number to check if they were able to run on the system or not.

Ori will probably feature prominently.

I guess we might get a Killer Instinct announcement and hopefully there's a D4 announcement in there as well. This game deserves to be experienced by as many people as possible.

Why are people assuming Phil Is talking about PC?
Xbox's os IS Windows.
Xbox = Windows.
Isn't he more likely to be talking about Win 10 Xbox?
But then again the Killer Insticnt poll.....
But it is a poll.asking for PC port.... hmmm.

"Gaming on Windows" sounds like PC to me.

Com_Raven

It is actually crazy if you think about it- when the first Xbox came out, MS had one of the best hardcore PC line-ups of all big publishers. Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, MechWarrior, MechCommander, Crimson Skies, MS Flight Simulator... And then they went and killed three of the most prestigious PC development studios within three years -.-

I really hope that the recent success of some of their Steam remakes for AoE and RoN convinces them that they can be successful on both PC and console, and not just with quick and dirty ports, but dedicated games for each.

Is it really bullshit for them to not want to give Valve 30% for doing nothing at all though?

Valve is really pulling a fast one on all those devs and publishers. Taking a retailer cut for "doing nothing at all." They really should strap all their releases to a new PC digital platform, GFWL was such a smashing success for them.

gaming_noob

Gears of War 1-3 Collection
Rare Bundle (Conker, Banjo Kazooie 1+2, Viva Pinata).

My wild guesses. That might get some people excited.

I'm going to echo some of the smarter posts in this thread and say I would rather get nothing at all from MS then to take the risk of having them involved in PC gaming again.

Damian.

Banned
Put the weak XBone out of its misery and focus on the PC. Your current console strategy is as pathetic as GFWL was. Time to compete in the games space once again!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I expect absolutely fuck all from MS when it comes to PC gaming.

Kezen

Banned
Gears of War 1-3 Collection
Rare Bundle (Conker, Banjo Kazooie 1+2, Viva Pinata).

My wild guesses. That might get some people excited.

Those are much more than wild guesses but I would welcome a Gears trilogy (even the raw, non remastered versions which will likely be Xbox One exclusive) with open arms.
Fantastic games.

SerTapTap

A while back, they were looking for people for a "AAA game in a famous startegy series"- so please, for the love of the gaming gods, give us a proper, non-mobile, non-F2P Age of Empires game.

Pretty please?
You know in your heart that's not happening. They killed it

Com_Raven

You know in your heart that's not happening. They killed it

On the one hand, yes. On the other, it seems they are setting up an all-new studio, "Decisive Games":

https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?jid=164301

"Team: The Decisive Games team is focused on world class strategy game development, and is building a studio that will bring the next installment in a beloved strategy game franchise to the next generation of gamers around the world."

mcrommert

Banned
Xbox One interface and sandbox in windows...If you have a graphics card over a certain level you will be able to play xbox one games on pc...

Nzyme32

On the one hand, yes. On the other, it seems they are setting up an all-new studio, "Decisive Games":

https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?jid=164301

"Team: The Decisive Games team is focused on world class strategy game development, and is building a studio that will bring the next installment in a beloved strategy game franchise to the next generation of gamers around the world."

Iirc didn't Phil also tweet something along the lines of thinking strategy games will be the genre that sees a resurgence this generation? I thin this whole windows 10 unified is for pretty much all their devices, as well as their "One Store", might lead to them creating "Xbox for windows" and trying to bridge the gap between the two in some way.

In any case, I'm steering well clear of any service they do towards pc gaming for several years till they can prove it won't be a collosal mess and completely unfriendly to the user

CoG

It will be a bunch of Windows 10 / DX 12 talk that never comes to anything worth a damn. MS gave up on PC gaming when they released the Xbox.

/pc gamer since the 1980s

Kezen

Banned
Iirc didn't Phil also tweet something along the lines of thinking strategy games will be the genre that sees a resurgence this generation? I thin this whole windows 10 unified is for pretty much all their devices, as well as their "One Store", might lead to them creating "Xbox for windows" and trying to bridge the gap between the two in some way.

In any case, I'm steering well clear of any service they do towards pc gaming for several years till they can prove it won't be a collosal mess and completely unfriendly to the user

I would not mind Microsoft competing with Steam with a store of their own so as long as they have something valuable to offer.

Trago

Well, I for one will not set my expectations high at all as there is no possible way for Microsoft to do anything interesting with PC gaming.

mcrommert

Banned
So basically, we'll never get to play Xbox One games in 1080p?

If this was to happen (as i hope) think about the negatives over the positives. In a few years when hardware moves forward you would able to have an xbox one tablet that you carry around with a controller...awesome

Com_Raven

I don't see them trying their hand at a new service of their own again anytime soon- they have released a few games that make extensive use of the Steamworks feature set recently, including the Age of Empires and Rise of Nations Steam Editions.

So many new pc gamers in this thread. On the one hand it's nice to see more people gaming on pc recently. On the other hand it fucking sucks to see so many people with no clue as to just how toxic MS is to pc gaming. We are only just now starting to get rid of these clowns.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm kinda hoping DX12 is a flop so I can stay on Windows 7 for a few more years [especially if it affects compatibility?]

Microsoft just for some reason can't make the OS I want them to make. I'm not going to learn another crappy one.

They could blow so many minds with cool OS options. Nope.

They'll probably find a way to sneak in ads too.

With all their talk about being a software and cloud company first and the fact that they're making their services cross-platform across the board, I would hope that they'll take advantage of the W10 launch to commit to releasing all of their Xbox exclusives on PC and finally unifying the two platforms in a meaningful way. But, this being Microsoft, I expect at best a couple of throwaway games for the Windows Store and at worst the GFWL corpse somehow springing back to life.

The megaton to end all megatons.

There is a very, very slim chance that this might actually happen at some point. Rahul Sood works at Microsoft and he was one of the big proponents of the idea that the Xbox should have been every PC. Here's what he said back in 2010:

Microsoft Killed a Killer Project

I never thought I would be more disappointed in the industry then when Microsoft killed Ensemble Studios. ..however nothing surprises me anymore :)

Rumor has it that there was a project many many months ago at Microsoft that was under wraps. The goal was to bridge XBOX gamers with PC Gamers so they could play against one another in games like Unreal, or Gears of War. This was all part of their Live strategy, and had Microsoft just stuck to their guns and made it work PC Gaming might be in a much better position than it is today.

Not to say that PC Gaming is in a bad position, but it's not like it used to be. The PC is shifting, as I've said many times over the last couple of years. The need for multiple high performance graphics cards is all but dead. You can play any PC Game on an HP Envy at high resolution with high detail, for example. PCs are becoming more mobile, form factors are shifting, touch is being embraced as well as other technologies. The word "PC" is dead, but the concept of personal computing isn't. ..but this isn't the point.

There was a project that got killed at Microsoft. This project was designed to allow console gamers and PC gamers to interact and battle over a connected environment. Personally I wish it would have stayed the course. I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.

The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the XBOX team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative. Is this why the project was killed Who knows, but I'd love to hear from anyone involved --- what happened?

Those of us who have been in the gaming business for over a decade know the real deal. You simply don't get the same level of detail or control as you do with a PC over a console. It's a real shame that Microsoft killed this -- because had they kept it alive it might have actually increased the desire of game developers and gamers alike to continue developing and playing rich experiences on the PC which would trickle down to the console as it has in the past.

Instead they wanted to keep an old business model alive, and as a result they are (all) getting attacked by the most unlikely competitor.. Apple.

..had they allowed something like this to take place then perhaps the desire to have the best platform would still be there. Perhaps the scale of the PC would have allowed Microsoft to get away from the hardware business and focus on their core, software. Perhaps we could have finally integrated the XBOX into the PC...

Perhaps not, all of this is over now, there is no looking back.

The question is, do we want this to happen, now that PC gaming already has a caretaker of sorts?

So many new pc gamers in this thread. On the one hand it's nice to see more people gaming on pc recently. On the other hand it fucking sucks to see so many people with no clue as to just how toxic MS is to pc gaming. We are only just now starting to get rid of these clowns.

Up to 2003 MS was pretty fantastic on PC, which Phil Spencer was involved in as a developer at that time (I believe he worked on Rise of Nations). To bring games like MechWarrior, Age of Empires and the like back to PC would be anything but toxic.

GFW was bad, no doubt about that, but I won't write off all those years of great support because of it. Hoping for the best from this conference!

"Xbox is now a platform, an app you can install on any Pc. And xbone is now a Pc with the xbox app already installed, but that will run other Pc apps!"

"Xbox is now a platform, an app you can install on any Pc. And xbone is now a Pc with the xbox app already installed, but that will run other Pc apps!"

That would be revolutionary, I just hope Gwfl won't have an actual client again.. We just got out of that ghetto with many games. I want Steamworks.

Up to 2003 MS was pretty fantastic on PC, which Phil Spencer was involved in as a developer at that time (I believe he worked on Rise of Nations). To bring games like MechWarrior, Age of Empires and the like back to PC would be anything but toxic.

GFW was bad, no doubt about that, but I won't write off all those years of great support because of it. Hoping for the best from this conference!

You should write off those years of support, since it was so long time ago, and GFWL really was that bad. You can only live on old merites for so long.

The one good thing they have done the recent years (well, the recent ports were nice I guess) is that they handled GFWL so bad, that a new attempt with something similiar should be impossible for them now. They really ran that crapfest into the ground as hard as they could.

Top Bottom