• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil says January is time to talk about games for Windows

LQX

The time to talk about games for Windows was 5-6 years ago Phil. That ship has sailed because of gross incompetence and a severe lack of foresight.

Unless it's an announcement that they're handing their PC gaming initiatives over to Steam & GOG, this will be added to the long list of Microsoft not giving a flying fuck about PC games.

Kaydan

Banned
Create an Xbox platform on Windows 10.

Port most Xbox one exclusive to said platform.

Cross buy.

Stream PC to XB1.

Stream XB1 to PC.

Open up App store on XB1.

Now you have the perfect steambox with the XB1 and a solid PC gaming platform.

I can see the appeal in cross platform 1st party titles if they do it right. Would still be a Microsoft exclusive if the PC version was purchasable via the app store. Having cross platform pruchase would be even better ie if you bought digital Quantum Break on Xbox One, you alos download this for your Windows 10 PC via it's respective app store for free.

This is all a dream of course.

It's a bit of a dream, but it does fit in with their all digital/cross platform ambitions. It would basically be cross play for Xbox/Windows.

It would probably piss off the "Steam or no sale" folks if it's only available on the MS App store, but it would obviously make logistical sense, since the same MS account works on both.

JaggedSac

What they are doing is allowing any desktop application (talking non-Modern app[WinRT]) to be listed and downloaded from the store. It already will be a Steam competitor just by that fact alone. The questions are, what kind of cut does MS get, does MS host the files, are updates handled through the store, will they open up the Xbox APIs for use in games(achievements, friends, messages, etc)?

LX_Theo

Banned
At best, its ports of some of their exclusives after they've felt they've gotten their exclusivity sales on the system from them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It would probably piss off the "Steam or no sale" folks if it's only available on the MS App store, but it would obviously make logistical sense, since the same MS account works on both.

I mean, to the extent that it'd piss off people it would be because people would rightly worry that MS, fresh off abandoning their last PC gaming initiative and causing a painful process of game delisting or conversion over a multiple year period, wasn't credible when they claimed they would continue to support their new initiative.

It'd also be a sense that MS has the capacity to be a very good PC publisher and occasionally achieves their potential... But the corporate culture frequently interferes in a way that undermines the otherwise interesting and high quality software. That was true even before Steam. So signs from MS that they're committed to doing right by their software are a good thing while signs from MS that they see software as part of some broader strategic aim are terrifying.

dani_dc

What they are doing is allowing any desktop application (talking non-Modern app[WinRT]) to be listed and downloaded from the store. It already will be a Steam competitor just by that fact alone. The questions are, what kind of cut does MS get, does MS host the files, are updates handled through the store, will they open up the Xbox APIs for use in games(achievements, friends, messages, etc)?

The most important question would be "will they allow software to be sold in third party stores and be redeemed in their store ala steam?", which I have a strong hunch will be answered in a negative fashion.

JaggedSac

The most important question would be "will they allow software to be sold in third party stores and be redeemed in their store ala steam?", which I have a strong hunch will be answered in a negative fashion.

They aren't going to lock down the free distribution of traditional desktop software.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
charlie-brown-lucy-football.png

Pizza

I would not mind Microsoft competing with Steam with a store of their own so as long as they have something valuable to offer.

This! If ms opened a "Microsoft Game store" that was on par with steam, and competed by offering Xbox 360 and Xbox one "exclusive" games, I'd be in! Hell if it was promising enough I'd even upgrade to Windows 10. Thats all it would take for me to jump in!

dani_dc

They aren't going to lock down the free distribution of traditional desktop software.

That's not what I was meaning to say, one of the biggest advantages of Steam (and even Origin/Uplay) is to be able to go to one of several sites (Humble Bundle, GMG, Amazon) and buy a product there which I can then activate at Steam. This is what allowed competition within the PC gaming market place to be taken to another level.

wrongway

I'd absolutely love a PC version of the MCC. Maybe the game will even be fixed by the time the port launches in 2017.

Seriously though, let's not and say we didn't, MS. :[

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This! If ms opened a "Microsoft Game store" that was on par with steam, and competed by offering Xbox 360 and Xbox one "exclusive" games, I'd be in! Hell if it was promising enough I'd even upgrade to Windows 10. Thats all it would take for me to jump in!

I'd be totally happy with that too, as long as MS gave it a serious and respectful effort, not like GFWL was. That was so incredibly half assed and worthless.

Being able to play Xbox games on my PC like the MCC and KI would be fantastic, and especially if they had cross play between the Xbox and PC.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Cross buy.

Stream PC to XB1.

Stream XB1 to PC.

Fuck that noise.

All I want from Microsoft is their games, new and old, on current digital distribution platforms like Steam and GOG.

That's it. Nothing else. I have no interest in anything else they have to say about PC gaming. I just don't trust them.

Trago

I'd be more motivated to buy an Xbox One if there was cross play and cross buy. Leave the PC at home and take the console with me places like friends house to play fighting games or something.

Cross buy.

Stream PC to XB1.

Stream XB1 to PC.

I would love to see this. It would be great if with the Windows 10 integration and release of the universal apps platform on W10/XB1 that a steam "app" came to the XB1. They could still release games specifically for XB1, but also have the steam library at their disposal.

It would basically become a really cool steam box at that point. I think a lot of people who would have never considered an XB1 might get a bit more interested in it.

Hopefully this is something they're considering... Although I doubt it would happen (even if it does make strategic sense in many ways).

jelly

Microsoft still run into that console service problem if they go somewhere with PC gaming like Steam.

Hell, you can't even message people without the need of a gold account outside of the console.

The more feature rich the PC side becomes, you make paying for Xbox Live look terribly silly because they couldn't possibly charge for anything beyond Azure servers and cloud storage for something. Microsoft were dragged kicking and screaming to just free apps long after it was a sad joke.

Cross buy.

Stream PC to XB1.

Stream XB1 to PC.

I honestly think this is a great idea. Xbox will look like more of a service over time and less about the box.

Paracelsus

So they come from a point where they have everything to prove as far as PC gaming is concerned, and according to neogaf they should lock this new alleged gaming platform behind an OS after the W8 half-fiasco, so that's two questionable things put together. Sounds like the perfect recipe to broaden their presence in the PC gaming world. Sure.

LowerLevel

Yeah, but that reply was a classic case of someone not understanding IP ownership (Dead Rising 3 is Capcom'S, Ryse is ours).

I'm sure, but there were other feedback posts suggesting the same thing without mentioning any IP's really. That one surprisingly is the most "popular" I believe. Still, people have been worried over Xbox games on PC before the tweet in question was posted is all I meant.

DrPreston

If they used actual version numbers as customer facing number it would be windows 6.1

Those version numbers are only for compatibility with poorly written software that freaks out when the major version number is greater than 6. Windows 10 is actually going to start reporting it's real version number (10) with a later release, to all programs that have the proper application manifest. Anything without the windows 10 app manifest will get a 6.x number (depending on which version of Windows it says it was built for).

vesvci

Banned
https://mobile.twitter.com/XboxP3/status/543296007664959488

"I'll be focusing more on what we are doing on Win10 in January, it's time for us to talk about gaming on Windows."
1:47am - 12 Dec 14

What will Microsofts games strategy be on PC for Windows 10? Let's speculate!

Uh...Does this mean that XBO exclusives maybe be soon available on the Windows platform? Sunset Overdrive? Forza Horizon 2? Halo 5? Quantom Break?

Or does this mean a fully-featured Windows OS on XBO?

Maybe seamless gaming between all Windows platforms...Windows Mobile devices, PC and XBO? I'm very curious now.

To cannibalize console sales and alienate existing Xbox One owners?
Bad idea.

Microsoft's approach to PC gaming should be with PC exclusive IPs that have a history on that platform; such as AoE, Flight Sim and Rise of Nations.
Although, Minecraft could work well as a cross platform IP on Xbox Live.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
On which side? MS would still push Xbox One Exclusive games and well as Steam Cross format ones. It would also compete against various Steambox hardware too.

I dunno!

It would gut all non-first party titles with all the money going towards Valve. Unless they strike some magic deal where Valve hands back XX% of the sale price to MS.

At the end of the day whilst the Xbone exists Microsoft will never do anything meaningful towards PC gaming. Their number one priority with regards to gaming will be the Xbone and they will not risk doing anything on the PC that will in anyway "damage" their console.

All these ideas of Xbox on the PC and Steam on the Xbox will not happen. The whole reason behind creation of the Xbox brand in the first place was to give Microsoft a closed platform that it could control and extort/maximise as much money out of users as possible.

badb0y

At the end of the day whilst the Xbone exists Microsoft will never do anything meaningful towards PC gaming. Their number one priority with regards to gaming will be the Xbone and they will not risk doing anything on the PC that will in anyway "damage" their console.

All these ideas of Xbox on the PC and Steam on the Xbox will not happen. The whole reason behind creation of the Xbox brand in the first place was to give Microsoft a closed platform that it could control and extort/maximise as much money out of users as possible.

Which is stupid as fuck because Windows brings in more money in a year than Xbox division has in it's entire life.

Yoda

Which is why SteamOS needs to be a success. The fact that PC gaming is still shackled to Microsoft and Windows is unacceptable.

I don't really think its that much of an issue. I've played Linux and Mac games from my stream library that were ported. While some of them were obviously quick money grab ports, quite a few weren't. Obviously not many people have OSX but everyone has easy access to Linux. If Microsoft tried to "control" the market then Valve would easily be able to push for another linux distro if Steam OS wasn't ready to ship. Lets not pretend Microsoft isn't aware of their bad PR imagine, they'd re-enter the shit hurricane if they tried anything to siphon off money cause "well we own windows!"

Skelter

Banned
I can imagine MCC and Horizon 2, honestly.

Horizon 2's already on 360, and is a pretty decent port.

A working Master Chief Collection would help convince fans to buy an Xbox One for Halo 5.

Hell, I would double dip on Sunset Overdrive. If there was ever a game in desperate need of some AA and a frame rate bump it's that game.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
What are the chances that devs will be able to do push-button publishing to between Xbox and PCs? I wonder if their will be the ability to play your X1 games on your PC and your 360 games on both? MS has been going platform agnostic over the past year and I wonder if we will see that ideology bleed into the gaming space. Still, the importance and necessity for exclusive on the X1 platform is not lost on me.

Top Bottom