• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer responds to Jim Ryan on crossplay "We will keep Minecraft players safe."

bender

What time is it?
My only hope is that all of this well-deserved, negative attention makes Sony reevaluate their position.

Business reasons will open them up to looking greedy, which is probably, in their mind, the least preferred option.

Technical shit choice is 100% a lie that can be refuted at this point, when devs are saying they're one-button-press away from making it happen.

Sony/Jim Ryan could've just said: "We have nothing to say right now, but never say never. Maybe we'll look into it in the future" etc.

Schnauzer

In all honesty I really think as the "Players" we need to really take this home with Sony and tell them WE ARE FOR THE PLAYERS!!! Because this is the same thing we all banded together and did when Microsoft Effed up at E3 2013 and made them 180 on all the bad they brought to the Xbox ecosystem

I don't want Xbox Live on the PS4. If you can confirm Microsoft is willing to do it without any reference to Xbox....which we can't. We will talk.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Throwing away the switch when the patch is out.
Dangerous for kids.

People should be forced to go around town and knock on doors and warn other people with kids that they own a switch.

Disgusting..
so when is that patch 😍

Boke1879

In all honesty I really think as the "Players" we need to really take this home with Sony and tell them WE ARE FOR THE PLAYERS!!! Because this is the same thing we all banded together and did when Microsoft Effed up at E3 2013 and made them 180 on all the bad they brought to the Xbox ecosystem

This is what I've been harping on the past few days and will continue to do so.

Because so far it's just a bunch of people yelling in a glass jar and I know for a FACT by the weekend this won't be a thing.

Hell the people I follow on twitter aren't even talking about this. So either they don't know or frankly don't care.

I've tweeted journalists to keep asking them, and Hell I've tweeted Playstation, Shu, and Shawn Layden. It's the easiest thing anyone can do.

Dynomutt

See, at least the PR response was professional on Microsoft's end there. Don't get me wrong, no crossplay back then when it was possible is just as stupid as it is now. I've always been an advocate of universal connectivity solutions.

Jim Ryan's statement sounds half-assed. Pardon my French.

Touche

Dynomutt

This is what I've been harping on the past few days and will continue to do so.

Because so far it's just a bunch of people yelling in a glass jar and I know for a FACT by the weekend this won't be a thing.

Hell the people I follow on twitter aren't even talking about this. So either they don't know or frankly don't care.

I've tweeted journalists to keep asking them, and Hell I've tweeted Playstation, Shu, and Shawn Layden. It's the easiest thing anyone can do.

Dat 24 hour news cycle. Why you think MS moved their show to Sunday. Those mentions were getting drowned at past shows.

spannicus

Could have been a good start and a way to open doors for future endeavors. Could you imagine cross platform play on the major titles like destiny and CoD? That would be insane.

I don't want Xbox Live on the PS4. If you can confirm Microsoft is willing to do it without any reference to Xbox....which we can't. We will talk.

You want Microsoft to change the entire online crossplay code to give Sony special treatment because... fanboy reasons?

"If you can confirm Microsoft is willing to do it without any reference to Xbox we will talk"

HOLY SHIT LOL

He did make the shit up. He pretty much gave the real reason at first. Pretty much saying it's a business decision. They he decided to make up some shit that he thought sounded good.

Yeah it was weird he said it was because they were beholden to their stake holders and then decided to try to justify it with some BS when EuroGamer guy rolled his eyes.

Deku Tree

I don't play minecraft so I don't really care in general about how this is going.

But for everyone that is outraged let me know when MS agrees to require all Xbox gamers playing "Call of Duty" (or popular game X) to create a free PSN account in order to have cross play with PS4 gamers.

what? This is like an EA game on PS4. You use origin. or Ubisoft you use uPlay. Minecraft is owned by MS. this means nothing it is also the same on iOS and Android with Minecraft. You even earn Xbox achievements on those versions.

Synth

If Sony owned Mojang, Microsoft would be doing the same thing. They are direct competitors, it makes sense. Nintendo, PC, and mobile, are not direct competitors to Microsoft. I think it sucks that PS Minecraft is going to be the shit version, but luckily we can all play it literally every where else.

I'm not convinced that's the case. There have been a ton of examples of Microsoft doing effectively everything they can to get killer apps from direct competitors onto their platforms with feature parity... to the extent of developing the apps themselves.

Tiandrad

Banned
It sucks for consumer, but it makes sense from a business stand point. Why would Sony, as the market leader in console right now, want crossplay with another console. Sony has pretty much sold a PS4 to most people who wanted a PS4. So currently they need to find new gamers and sell them on the ps4. Best way to do that is to take away gamers from their rival. Sony wants those on other consoles to buy a Playstation if they want to play with Playstation users. Microsoft right now is trying to grow their install base and keep existing live users. So it would make sense for Microsoft to want crossplay. It allows their users to play with Playstation users(which has a larger online gaming community right now)while keeping them on a xbox console. I'm pretty sure they would switch rolls if this was early 360/PS3 era.

I don't play minecraft so I don't really care in general about how this is going.

But for everyone that is outraged let me know when MS agrees to require all Xbox gamers playing "Call of Duty" (or popular game X) to create a free PSN account in order to have cross play with PS4 gamers.

...what? Why would anyone have to create a PSN account to play crossplay from popular third parties? Microsoft OWNS Minecraft, hence they run the game on THEIR servers.

spannicus

It sucks for consumer, but it makes sense from a business stand point. Why would Sony, as the market leader in console right now, want crossplay with another console. Sony has pretty much sold a PS4 to most people who wanted a PS4. So currently they need to find new gamers and sell them on the ps4. Best way to do that is to take away gamers from their rival. Sony wants those on other consoles to buy a Playstation if they want to play with Playstation users. Microsoft right now is trying to grow their install base and keep existing live users. So it would make sense for Microsoft to want crossplay. It allows their users to play with Playstation users(which has a larger online gaming community right now)while keeping them on a xbox console. I'm pretty sure they would switch rolls if this was early 360/PS3 era.
I think most folks are mad because Sony is making the decision for them and acting as if its to protect them. They say for the players but many of their players would love a feature such as this. Options are always a good thing. Also i think i could have opened doors to greater things in the future.

mcrommert

Banned

The best thing about this news, which honestly i care less about as i don't own a ps4, is that it lays bare this garbage on this site and others

Allegiance to a brand is pathetic, toxic and stupid

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm not convinced that's the case. There have been a ton of examples of Microsoft doing effectively everything they can to get killer apps from direct competitors onto their platforms with feature parity... to the extent of developing the apps themselves.
Maybe, but only because they are losing the war.

Schnauzer

You want Microsoft to change the entire online crossplay code to give Sony special treatment because... fanboy reasons?

"If you can confirm Microsoft is willing to do it without any reference to Xbox we will talk"

HOLY SHIT LOL

Same reason I don't want Xbox Live on my Switch. Same reason I don't want PSN required for a game. Companies should use the eco system of the hardware provider.

Other publishers use their own services all the time on Xbox. If Sony wants to publish their own game on Xbox, they'd be allowed to do it too.

Sony's antics here are just petty and not really the "great business decision" that some are desperate to paint it as. Crossplatform play is no threat to Sony's business.

gamz

If Sony brought say Uncharted to Xbox I don't think they or any user would have a problem with creating a PSN account to play it. Not sure what you're getting at here.

sflufan

Banned
Phil's tone and demeanor really makes it seem that Jim Ryan both professionally and personally insulted him and Microsoft.

I'm hoping that we can get Sony to change their tune on cross play and BC titles. Their recent statements on them have been awful.

I've spoken to you on this at Twitter, but actions speak louder than words, and in some cases, the words are obvious fucking lies.

Like, BC are just legit lies, for the simple reason that Sony and PS4... do have BC. Heck they have an entire team dedicated to BC.

The difference is that they don't have the same BC mentality as Xbox. If anything, they're closer to Nintendo's, where they decided they want to resell you the game.

As for cross-play, I've maintained my belief it is business reasons, and my advise is just... tweet at the execs to let views be known. GAF isn't everything. Tweet to them.

Same reason I don't want Xbox Live on my Switch. Same reason I don't want PSN required for a game. Companies should use the eco system of the hardware provider.

Do you boycott games from every major 3rd party publisher too? Does EA using their own servers offend you?

Schnauzer

"I am five and don't know how computers work. SONY 4DEPLEYRS"

There. Translated for the rest of us.

I have a computer. I use Steam. That is an open ended platform. I want my console experience to remain closed platform.

If you want a open platform. Get a PC or better yet Linux.

Arcia

Banned
You don't work with the enemy, period. Sony is just keeping it real.

Fuck that honestly. I want to play Minecraft on PS4 with all of the same features and improvements the other versions are getting.

Also they are not keeping it real. They are making up nonsense about 'the children!' To obfuscate their selfish anti consumer decisions.

Seik

Banned
I'm on Phil's side on this one.

It's no big deal to have to sign in to Xbox Live if that means connecting all the players together, it just makes a better experience for everyone.

Sony could have an open mind and at least try and if anything goes wrong you just press the self-destruct button.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Good good. Now the flames of the console wars will burn brighter and higher than even the great conflagration of the 16 bit era.

Nanashrew

Banned
I've spoken to you on this at Twitter, but actions speak louder than words, and in some cases, the words are obvious fucking lies.

Like, BC are just legit lies, for the simple reason that Sony and PS4... do have BC. Heck they have an entire team dedicated to BC.

The difference is that they don't have the same BC mentality as Xbox. If anything, they're closer to Nintendo's, where they decided they want to resell you the game.

As for cross-play, I've maintained my belief it is business reasons, and my advise is just... tweet at the execs to let views be known. GAF isn't everything. Tweet to them.

I have little issue with VC/Classics, but I will say that Nintendo at least can hold a schedule even if it's still pretty slow drip of games. Sony is inconsistent with the release of their classic titles and it's the 4th year of PS4 and there are no PS1 Classics. Sony's really, really bad about it.

Top Bottom