• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer responds to Jim Ryan on crossplay "We will keep Minecraft players safe."

But for everyone that is not outraged let me know when MS agrees to require all Xbox gamers playing "Call of Duty" (or popular game X) to create a free Activision account in order to have cross play with PS4 gamers.

I fixed your non-sense statement. Call of Duty is an Activision Game so if it went cross platform it would have to use Activision Servers due to technical requirements. As a result, it would likely require an Activision Account. Now to answer your statement, Microsoft already does. You have to sign into a UPlay and Origin account in order to play Ubisoft and EA games Online.

Now, tell me when Sony releases a game on Xbox with Multiplayer which requires a PSN account (as EA and Ubisoft do) and then your statement will be worth something

As a parent who's son is incredibly into minecraft, the parental control options I have are fantastic. Keeping kids safe seems to matter to that team and to Microsoft and Jim Ryan should stop being a corporate stooge and just say they don't want to do it because they're assholes. If Nintendo is satisfied with what's there then Sony sure as shit should be too.

True Fire

In the end, it's Pacifist Nintendo that wins. Good on you, Nintendo.

XB1X/Switch would be a killer combination if PS4 didn't, you know, get all of the Japanese games.

Remember a few years ago when Sony said they were totally open for cross platform play? :\
source?
Business reasons will open them up to looking greedy, which is probably, in their mind, the least preferred option.

Technical shit choice is 100% a lie that can be refuted at this point, when devs are saying they're one-button-press away from making it happen.
business reasons make them look greedy, reasons for children make them sound ignorant, so really the best course of option is to swallow pride and allow the new Minecraft update on Ps4.
I got I got I got I got loyalty got Loyalty inside my DNA
lmao!!!!!!

Do you boycott games from every major 3rd party publisher too? Does EA using their own servers offend you?

This is such a disingenuous comparison. EA is not a platform holder. Neither is Ubisoft or WB. And I think we can all agree that the switch isn't a competitor to either of these systems.

Rocket league aside, having PS4 players sign up for Xbox Live accounts to play a game on PS4 gives Microsoft the company everything, but Playstation nothing. The most important thing being user data, which is the gold standard when applying value to a customer base. Look at how closely Microsoft keeps their data on Xbox live usage(and every company does this).

There is a reason apps like Snapchat sell for billions of dollars, and it's not because some CEO really liked taking pictures of themself. It's because of all the user data that is tied to it and that can be sold for targeted marketing.

You may not like that Sony is making this business decision, but it's a decision that makes sense for business. These are customers that Sony has cultivated and they won't want to give it freely to MS.

This is such a disingenuous comparison. EA is not a platform holder. Neither is Ubisoft or WB. And I think we can all agree that the switch isn't a competitor to either of these systems.

Rocket league aside, having PS4 players sign up for Xbox Live accounts to play a game on PS4 gives Microsoft the company everything, but Playstation nothing. The most important thing being user data, which is the gold standard when applying value to a customer base. Look at how closely Microsoft keeps their data on Xbox live usage(and every company does this).

There is a reason apps like Snapchat sell for billions of dollars, and it's not because some CEO really liked taking pictures of themself. It's because of all the user data that is tied to it and that can be sold for targeted marketing.

You may not like that Sony is making this business decision, but it's a decision that makes sense for business. These are customers that Sony has cultivated and they won't want to give it freely to MS.

You do realize that Sony would be gathering the exact same data that Microsoft is gathering because the network calls still go though the Playstation Network Proxy and through the Playstation Network APIs.

Quotient

He did make the shit up. He pretty much gave the real reason at first. Pretty much saying it's a business decision. They he decided to make up some shit that he thought sounded good.

That is how i understand as well. It is clearly a business decision for them.

You give no reason as to why this would be any different for Nintendo. It's because it isn't. 3rd party publishers gather data on their users all the time, Microsoft would be no different from Activision or EA.

??

1. It gives PlayStation the most complete and up to date version of the game available, which everyone in the Minecraft on Ps4 deserve to have

2. It gives PsN users who have friends on other platforms the chance to play the game with them.

Quotient

??

1. It gives PlayStation the most complete and up to date version of the game available, which everyone in the Minecraft on Ps4 deserve to have

2. It gives PsN users who have friends on other platforms the chance to play the game with them.

He is talking about "Playstation" the business, not the people who are consuming the content.

MageBoySA

Minecraft requiring a Microsoft account is the real reason. Once Microsft dropped sales numbers and went to MAUs, it gave Sony every reason not to up that number. This would allow Microsoft to claim any PlayStation user with Minecraft as part of their user numbers, which will make Microsoft look better.

phanphare

Banned
"we have a console for when you want to play Minecraft alone, it's called the PS4 Pro" - Rogue Phil Spencer

giphy.gif

Magwik

Banned
Minecraft requiring a Microsoft account is the real reason. Once Microsft dropped sales numbers and went to MAUs, it gave Sony every reason not to up that number. This would allow Microsoft to claim any PlayStation user with Minecraft as part of their user numbers, which will make Microsoft look better.
Who gives a shit about MAU
This isn't some strategic ploy to get more MAUs either.

He is talking about "Playstation" the business, not the people who are consuming the content.
"Playstation" the business is as big as it is because of the consumers. I am the consumer, I stand to gain something from it and Playstation the business loses the completed version of the Minecraft software by egging out of this update

RedRum

Banned

I love how the excuses have went from:

Market Leader to Security to One service being better/worse than the other to Policies to Logins and now we've hit the MAU stage.

Magwik

Banned
"Playstation" the business is as big as it is because of the consumers. I am the consumer, I stand to gain something from it and Playstation the business loses the completed version of the Minecraft software by egging out of this update
I mean they literally got so far into this gen by being "for the consumers".

You do realize that Sony would be gathering the exact same data that Microsoft is gathering because the network calls still go though the Playstation Network Proxy and through the Playstation Network APIs.

No, because Xbox players aren't signing up for psn Accounts with their name, email addresses, location, sex.

You give no reason as to why this would be any different for Nintendo. It's because it isn't. 3rd party publishers gather data on their users all the time, Microsoft would be no different from Activision or EA

Nintendo is not a competitor to either PlayStation or Xbox. They are firmly planted in axillary console territory, and they are fine with that.

Activision and EA do not make a console. They create content for platform holders like Sony and Microsoft.

Top Bottom