• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Don't strawman.

People are being manipulated is the fear.

I said people have a right to be excited by the reveals, but the nature of the leaks strikes me as sleazy, manipulative underground marketing.

And I admit fully that I could be 100% wrong.

You're naive if you don't think a large % of all leaks have some ulterior motive behind them.

I always hated those lists that stretch into the future for 3+ years. we end up obsessing about games like TLG and FFXIIIvs for years and if it never materializes we blame them for announcing it too soon.

Or they do finally show up and the 3+ years of hype are dashed by a game that does not deliver. I am looking at you FF XIII.

Honestly though, telling me that MS has a Halo game coming out in 2015/2016 does not really come across as that surprising. Next someone is going to tell me Sony will be releasing a God of War game in 2015/2016.

Factories and production lines don't work that way.

At best, stuff comes out a week earlier. Not months in advance.

The white SKU must had been in plans since last year. Even if it's just a colour change, testing of molds, resistance to colour change, pigment testing, etc takes at least 8 weeks from my experience in plastics manufacturing.
they already manufactured the employee white Xbox one.

You're naive if you don't think a large % of all leaks have some ulterior motive behind them.

And I think this is an especially exceptional case of that.

Edit: but anyway, I reeeeally gotta get to bed. It's been real, fellas. Can't wait to check back in on this topic tomorrow. What a night!

Axass

Most leakers do not write in encrypted text, so I wouldn't say he made no attempt to hide himself. He could just be a leaker.

Isn't that why most leakers don't last long? Joking aside, that doesn't address the fact he leaked like Microsoft's entire first party plans for the next two years and then some 3rd party stuff as well, in a moment when Microsoft's trying actively to catch leakers (see Ekim's thread).

Montresor

Don't strawman.

I said people have a right to be excited by the reveals, but the nature of the leaks strikes me as sleazy, manipulative underground marketing.

I'm of the camp that agrees this is a controlled leak. Definitely manipulative. But the most important qualification for tonight's leaks - they're real. No reason to believe they are not real at the moment, given bishoptl has verified the leaker and famoustortimer has chimed in with his own comments mentioning the leaks are real. Meaning we're getting Halo 2 Anniversary this fall, we're getting a Platinum game, the Titanfall SKU looks great, Quantum Break is confirmed for this holiday, etc... All great reasons to be excited, even if the source of the excitement is a PR stunt.

zainetor

Banned
Bullshit. Sorry. People will be touting MS's "lineup" for months.

they are all sequels. If you weren't going to buy the console before, nothing has changed.
They announced stuff, that almost everybody saw coming.
Halo anniversary, crackdown, horizon. The only little megaton could be platinum game, but that's too far away.
Anyway if npd numbers are bad, We'll probably see another leak, the same day or the day before/after the results.

they already manufactured the employee white Xbox one.

I don't know how I completely forgot about that. /shamefur dispray

Okay, then a month then. Even with the mold complete and approved, generally to turn around the lines to run dual-colours + estimation of quantities to be produced after a supply run-down, etc is still a decent amount of work.

IF this is all a result of the January NPD's being awful, MS is in denial about how to fix the problem. The price (Kinect) will continue to hinder the Xbox One until it is addressed

I'm of the camp that agrees this is a controlled leak. Definitely manipulative. But the most important qualification for tonight's leaks - they're real. No reason to believe they are not real at the moment, given bishoptl has verified the leaker and famoustortimer has chimed in with his own comments mentioning the leaks are real. Meaning we're getting Halo 2 Anniversary this fall, we're getting a Platinum game, the Titanfall SKU looks great, Quantum Break is confirmed for this holiday, etc... All great reasons to be excited, even if the source of the excitement is a PR stunt.

Not to flame anything but I too believe it was a sanctioned leak and as such there are likely still properties that haven't leaked yet so things to look forward to still :)

The sheer quantity and type of information being leaked (including stuff like Titanfall DLC or a Platinum Games project) seems a bit... much for a controlled leak, especially if it's to "distract" from an NPD release that won't happen for another... what, two weeks?

Didn't CBOAT (or was it another insider) already leak the platinum games deal? Alot of the stuff we saw coming since there were already murmurs. Stuff like Forza Horizon, crackdown 3, and titanfall bundle. We didn't really get too much details, the only big "leak" I would say is the Halo anniv. thing with 3&4 included. Everything else seems like fluff.

Hubble

Isn't that why most leakers don't last long? Joking aside, that doesn't address the fact he leaked like Microsoft's entire first party plans for the next two years and then some 3rd party stuff as well, in a moment when Microsoft's trying actively to catch leakers (see Ekim's thread).

I agree, I just don't think the leaking is part of some ploy by Microsoft because of bad press as of late, as you suggested. I think that doesn't make much sense at all when thought through from a neutral stand point. I find it makes more logical sense if it was a trap to catch Cboat, or the leaker is indeed real. Most leakers don't write like Cboat, so it's not true he wasn't trying to hide himself

Skeff

Everyone else noticed halo 5 delay was leaked today and no one cared right? Job well done.

Edit: of course most things were already rumored too.

Didn't CBOAT (or was it another insider) already leak the platinum games deal? Alot of the stuff we saw coming since there were already murmurs. Stuff like Forza Horizon, crackdown 3, and titanfall bundle. We didn't really get too much details, the only big "leak" I would say is the Halo anniv. thing with 3&4 included. Everything else seems like fluff.

I don't think we heard anything about a Forza Horizon 2 in 2014. At least I never heard about that one.

I don't think we heard anything about a Forza Horizon 2 in 2014. At least I never heard about that one.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74427231

As of August last year

Additionally, on their CVs, Playground's creative director and studio director says they are "working on an exciting unannounced title for Xbox One," perhaps further suggesting the studio is handling Forza Horizon 2. All the contract positions on Playground's site specify a length of about nine months for contract work. Given that and the two year cycles for mainline Forza Motorsport titles, it does not seem unreasonable to venture the spinoff sequel could land sometime in 2014, sandwiched between this year's Forza Motorsport 5 and a likely Forza Motorsport 6 in 2015.

imtehman

Banned
Don't strawman.

Lol what the hell is this? Everything PR is a way to manipulate people into something. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, ANY CORPORATION THAT HAS ANYTHING TO SELL spend millions on commercials, advertising, and marketing to manipulate you into buying shit.

Why are you singling out MS?

Factories and production lines don't work that way.

At best, stuff comes out a week earlier. Not months in advance.

The white SKU must had been in plans since last year. Even if it's just a colour change, testing of molds, resistance to colour change, pigment testing, etc takes at least 8 weeks from my experience in plastics manufacturing.
But MS already produced limited edition white Xbones for the Xbox team. So wouldn't all that testing already have been done?

I just don't really think those reasons make much sense. It sounds like it's really stretching. If anything, people will wait even longer to purchase a Xbox One for a TitanFall console, or later in the year, when the white one is out with a bigger HDD rather than to simply mask weak NPD numbers, when MS needs people to buy XOs now.
If MS don't have anything to convince people to buy an Xbone now, they risk losing customers to Sony as PS4 supplies are improving. If they leak a bunch of shit, it could give customers pause on pulling the trigger on a PS4, perhaps long enough for some of those new SKUs and games to start hitting.

If speculation of a horrible January NPD (and likely worldwide sales) is true, then people aren't buying many Xbones now anyway. So, these leaks aren't delaying many Xbone purchases, but in MS' minds could be cockblocking PS4 purchases.

Everyone else noticed halo 5 delay was leaked today and no one cared right? Job well done.

Agreed. I'm a huge halo fan, and the possibility of Halo 5 being delayed didn't even phase me hearing that they are releasing Halo 2 Anniversary. I mean, I'd love to see the story continue but I think they need more dev time for it.

Axass

I agree, I just don't think the leaking is part of some ploy by Microsoft because of bad press as of late, as you suggested. I think that doesn't make much sense at all when thought through from a neutral stand point. I find it makes more logical sense if it was a trap to catch Cboat, or the leaker is indeed real.

No I didn't. I simply questioned EmCee saying he found the idea of a controlled leak too much in this case. Not sure about the NPD stuff myself. But I definitely think it's a controlled leak, due to NPD, cboat or whatever.

Speculatively speaking, we've always known Forza Horizon 2 was coming in 2014 the moment Playground was revealed to be currently in active development.

No way will it release in 2015, because that would mean simultaneous Forza releases.

And Forza Horizon was first revealed and announced in March, which means that there was a precedent of the game not being announced at E3 or whatnot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder if MS being on the back foot might be beneficial for those developers that might find it difficult getting funding. If they start thrown money around for exclusives I don't think they can afford big IPs, so you might get more experimental stuff. Could make it an interesting platform.

What do you propose is his agenda then?

A random dude who works for Microsoft suddenly compromising his career to leak major stuff on GAF, why? He has posted more stuff than cboat ever has, in just one sitting and without taking any measure to hide himself (no weird talk), in a moment when Microsoft's apparently trying to catch leakers.

Makes no sense.

I have no clue. Maybe he's too overenthusiastic for his own good. Maybe he has poor judgment and thinks it's no biggie or believes he can't get caught. Maybe he looks up to CBOAT and wants to be the next big leaker.

All of those seem more likely than "Hey NeoGAF, my name is Spil Phencer, here is 90% of Microsoft's first party strategy for 2014 minus whatever timed exclusive DLC we I mean they announce at E3 and also tentative target dates for 2016 games that haven't been announced yet, please ignore the next batch of sales numbers."

beast786

Just recap:

Halo 5 delay

Halo port 2/3/4

Crackdown ( already hinted by Phil and MS). Said nothing about the game

FORZA horizon (again already hinted and heavy rumor). Said open world and weather

Platinum game. With a project code name which really means nothing as it's not even a game final name (also was Confirmmed by COBAT) no info about game was given

QB and SB with no new info about game just target release date

Honestly the only megaton above news was halo 5 delay to nov 2015.

I have no clue. Maybe he's too overenthusiastic for his own good. Maybe he has poor judgment and thinks it's no biggie or believes he can't get caught. Maybe he looks up to CBOAT and wants to be the next big leaker.

All of those seem more likely than "Hey NeoGAF, my name is Spil Phencer, here is 90% of Microsoft's first party strategy for 2014 minus whatever timed exclusive DLC we I mean they announce at E3 and also tentative target dates for 2016 games that haven't been announced yet, please ignore the next batch of sales numbers."

I just can't imagine Microsoft management and marketing signing off on this. If they wanted to put out a bunch of positive news to counter recent bad publicity, do you think they'd ok Neogaf as the avenue for it? This isn't how I imagine Microsoft operates.

Chobel

Lol what the hell is this? Everything PR is a way to manipulate people into something. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, ANY CORPORATION THAT HAS ANYTHING TO SELL spend millions on commercials, advertising, and marketing to manipulate you into buying shit.

Why are you singling out MS?

???

Where did he single out MS?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't think I understand the logic of leaking things so far in advance. Crackdown 3 sounds cool, but 2016 is a long ways off. If this really has to do with Jabnuary sales and bad press because of multiplatform gaps, this type of leak really isn't going to change anything.

Taking the opposite tack to Sony, who seem reticent to announce anything until closer to launch? Try and give list warriors plenty to play with and build some positive word of mouth that the Xbox is a platform worth buying into? Not necessarily a bad thing, but it can leave them open to having nothing new to talk about for a year if they aren't careful.

Will we even know if a jan NPD is bad? Surely MS simply won't announce numbers. Do they have to declare numbers in their quarterly results - that could give us an idea how badly things have gone, as we have a good idea of the first two months sales.

"Hey NeoGAF, my name is Spil Phencer, here is 90% of Microsoft's first party strategy for 2014 minus whatever timed exclusive DLC we I mean they announce at E3 and also tentative target dates for 2016 games that haven't been announced yet, please ignore the next batch of sales numbers."

Lol something about that name. It was was made for this night lol.

Sean*O

If those leaks were real then they were idiotic. The LAST thing MS should leak is a $100 cheaper Xbone due to a missing optical drive. That's practically pulling a 180 on their 180 over no used games. If they were/are actively trying to make people forget that and trust them again, that's the absolute last thing they should have leaked.

I'm never buying an Xbone and probably never another MS product. Too many slimeballs working for them spreading lies, too much media manipulation, paid for reviews, NSA partnership, etc. Horrible company through and through.

Just recap:

Halo 5 delay

Halo port 2/3/4

FORZA horizon (again already hinted and heavy rumor). Said open world and weather

Platinum game. With a project code name which really means nothing as it's not even a game final name (also was Confirmmed by COBAT) no info about game was given

White Xbox One console, TitanFall bundle, Sunset Overdrive Bundle, possible Discdrive less console for $399.

Seriously this stuff completely ruined the surprises Microsoft had for E3 2014, maybe they can announce a Rare game or something, but this was a huge amount of up-coming titles. I can't possibly believe they have any other AAA games to announce.

Woah, what the hell happened overnight? I come back to the find the H2A rumour thread locked with a whole bunch of new and unbelievable rumours posted.

Halo 3 port? Project Nagano from Platinum? An X1 with no optical disc drive?

Come on son...

beast786

I just can't imagine Microsoft management and marketing signing off on this. If they wanted to put out a bunch of positive news to counter recent bad publicity, do you think they'd ok Neogaf as the avenue for it? This isn't how I imagine Microsoft operates.

Tell me more influential place than gaf for past year?

Literally, it goes from here to everywhere. Who has broken more news from insider?

Just recap:

Halo 5 delay

Halo port 2/3/4

Titanfall Bundle, White Xbone for sale, white Xbone Sunset Overdrive bundle in October, 1TB Xbone console after that, Titanfall DLC info details, etc. They may not all be megatons, but the sheer amount of info is staggering

Amir0x

Banned
Even were this true, you think Microsoft's management sees it that way?

They absolutely do. The sent Albert Penello to try to deceive the community for months on end and he left the second the console launched.

I don't think some people get how important GAF is seen in the industry. It's huge.

I suspect we'll eventually know the truth of this matter. It's too big now, one of the biggest leak dumps in the history of this forum as far as I can tell. We've had big individual leaks, but this much all at once and it's all accurate? Biggest in years at least.

beast786

White Xbox One console, TitanFall bundle, Sunset Overdrive Bundle, possible Discdrive less console for $399.

Seriously this stuff completely ruined the surprises Microsoft had for E3 2014, maybe they can announce a Rare game or something, but this was a huge amount of up-coming titles. I can't possibly believe they have any other AAA games to announce.

What surprises were ruined?

You were not expecting what from that list? The things you didn't know then about the games are the things you still don't know.

As per bundles are they really. Megatons announcement ?

I was convinced the 8% GPU upgrade and Gears announcement was done to counter the YouTube and Tombraider debacle.

if this was a planted leak it seems like major overkill. why would you go and blow a chunk of your E3 announcements for something that people will forget in a week?

Top Bottom