• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

And with that resolution, i am going to bed.

Good night gentlemen, and amazing work to all leakers and mods involved. You're why i love this site.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Im sure ms could decipher cboat talk if they wanted so I didnt include it.

Cboat speak is more than just unjumbling words, it helps hide actual typing patterns that could be an avenue of finding a mole.

This guy knew multiple skus, dates for dlc and games, platinum's codename and aimed date, and also had that listing of the console launching in other areas in the world.

And in a weird way, him NOT knowing what Rare was doing might also narrow stuff. He was super chill and said a whole lot of stuff that could work in ways like that.

amardilo

Just recap:

Halo 5 delay

Halo port 2/3/4

Crackdown ( already hinted by Phil and MS). Said nothing about the game

FORZA horizon (again already hinted and heavy rumor). Said open world and weather

Platinum game. With a project code name which really means nothing as it's not even a game final name (also was Confirmmed by COBAT) no info about game was given

QB and SB with no new info about game just target release date

Honestly the only megaton above news was halo 5 delay to nov 2015.

Sounds like the Platinum game, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive won't come out this year and unless they rush development on Crackdown 3 (I hope they don't) or have had it hidden away in development at a studio somewhere 2014 is going to be a bit of a lean year for large scale/big budget/boxed retail release 1st party MS titles.

Seems very odd after they said they had committed $1bn (or whatever it was) to game development.

Good thing they have EA and Respawn Entertainment releasing Titanfall soon otherwise the exclusive line up looks very thin.

Here is hoping they blow people away at E3 with things releasing this year.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah, this is how I've felt all along. This being a controlled leak runs counter to everything I know about how large, rigid corporations and their marketing works.

He pretty much outed most of the major news from Microsoft this year. No way someone gave the go ahead for this as it would be needed from way too many separate companies and people. I'm sure MS's Legal is in panic mode right now.

If even half this stuff is true, a lot of important people are going to be getting very serious phone calls in the morning.

Somebody better get all the info out of ntkrnl before he gets hauled off...

Cboat speak is more than just unjumbling words, it helps hide actual typing patterns that could be an avenue of finding a mole.

This guy knew multiple skus, dates for dlc and games, platinum's codename and aimed date, and also had that listing of the console launching in other areas in the world.

And in a weird way, him NOT knowing what Rare was doing might also narrow stuff. He was super chill and said a whole lot of stuff that could work in ways like that.
Oh Ive never heard of some algorithm like that so im just asking. I thought he spoke crazy so people wouldnt track him down but had no idea theres algorithms that can determine how someone types through looking at their emails and stuff

Skeff

Do you think this guy talk like how he talked here in his work email? I dont understand how it works.. if that is how it works.

I hope he doesn't.

The thing is people make the same spelling and grammar errors consistently, whilst using certain words quite often when there are plenty of synonyms. Sometimes they write q1 or Q1. It's possible to check for potential matches with these posts. Once they have a list of potential matches it's a matter of seeing who has access to the information. Hopefully the leaker will have masked his style, or got someone else to post.

Sounds like the Platinum game, Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive won't come out this year and unless they rush development on Crackdown 3 (I hope they don't) or have had it hidden away in development at a studio somewhere 2014 is going to be a bit of a lean year for large scale/big budget/boxed retail release 1st party MS titles.

Seems very odd after they said they had committed $1bn (or whatever it was) to game development.

Good thing they have EA and Respawn Entertainment releasing Titanfall soon otherwise the exclusive line up looks very thin.

Here is hoping they blow people away at E3 with things releasing this year.
Huh, ntkrnl's information paints MS' Fall release exclusives as Forza Horizon 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive. Nothing he said points to a delay of those titles.

He pretty much outed most of the major news from Microsoft this year. No way someone gave the go ahead for this as it would be needed from way too many separate companies and people. I'm sure MS's Legal is in panic mode right now.

If even half this stuff is true, a lot of important people are going to be getting very serious phone calls in the morning.

Somebody better get all the info out of ntkrnl before he gets hauled off...

ntkrnl will be found New Mexico in the ET dumping grounds I have a feeling.

jem0208

It's pretty crazy, and the curious thing is, our resident 343-GAF'ers haven't even commented at all. Usually they shoot down leaks or rumors pretty quickly. And they've been logged in and browsing but haven't really responded at all. It's like they've gone dark.

I don't know what this would achieve as a controlled leak, because it has completely ruined the hype of games for the next year or two. Like what are they going to do at E3?

None of us predicated Halo 2 Anniversary, we wanted it, but we thought it was Halo 5 this year. Imagine the hype if at E3 you have Halo 2 Anniversary shown, beta access to Halo 5 blah blah. Now what are they going to say, hey guys, guess what Halo 2 Anniversary, something you've known about since January lol.

Knowing that it could possibly happen and having it confirmed with footage/trailers etc. are two very different thing things. People will still get hyped by H2A if it shows up at E3.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Knowing that it could possibly happen and having it confirmed with footage/trailers etc. are two very different thing things. People will still get hyped by H2A if it shows up at E3.

Yeah. It even hit a point where you could see the thread losing their belief in the guy when he mentioned 3 and 4 with it.

Toki767

You know the weird thing about sites picking up on the leaks that were made were that they all basically focused on the dashboard update in March, the white Xbox One, and the potential drive-less Xbox One. No one really addressed Halo 2 Anniversary or no Halo 5 until 2015.

Finalizer

For what it's worth, the dude is truly one with the #yolo.

You know the weird thing about sites picking up on the leaks that were made were that they all basically focused on the dashboard update in March, the white Xbox One, and the potential drive-less Xbox One. No one really addressed Halo 2 Anniversary or no Halo 5 until 2015.

Maybe they realized that poking at landmines is kind of a bad idea.

Are you thinking of the Verge? They reported what Tom Warren could verify.

nib95

Banned
Sounds like the Xbox One is going to be a serious Halo, Gears and Forza churning machine lol. With the odd bit of Fable thrown in.

The Black Tusk new IP was the best first party entry in the mix, shame they put that to rest.

Montresor

I hope everyone who thought this would be a controlled leak feels stupid (including me). Like EmCeeGrammar said... Imagine that: famoustortimer's gut feelings turned out to be completely false and almost entirely without merit.

So the things he leaked were all correct?

Nothing he said has been refuted, and some of it has been confirmed by other leakers. (Mortimer initially said the new guy was wrong about the Titanfall bundle, but Mortimer reversed that and said it's real)

Sounds like the Xbox One is going to be a serious Halo, Gears and Forza churning machine lol. With the odd bit of Fable thrown in.

The Black Tusk new IP was the best first party entry in the mix, shame they put that to rest.
Along with whatever Rare gives us...here's hoping to a new Viva Pinata!

Jack cw

Guess they play the safe hand then. A new IP would be a pretty big risk to gamble with as not even Micrososft knows how they perform thsi generation. Might not be the worst idea to bet on established IPs but I think that Sony will pretty much blow them away at E3 with many new and interesting IPs on their side.

Yeah, let's ignore Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Platinum's game.

Madness

Of course they are, but honestly 90% of the hype comes from the uncertainty and surprise of such announcements.

Of course seeing Chief in 1080p with dual SMG's on New Mombasa will be crazy, as would seeing a possible 60 FPS footage of multiplayer gameplay on HD reskinned maps, but the fact remains, we're all expecting it, most of us in HaloGAF will probably talk about this well into the reveal. We're not going to be as amped as we would've been if it was a secret and our first even hint of knowledge of its existence was seeing a trailer or gameplay footage.

Usually we have a few 343 employees laugh off or deny rumors or fake leaks, they've been surprisingly quiet and yet have been signed into GAF. Their silence is speaking volumes.

Microsoft have announced loads of other non forza/halo/gears games, they're successful franchises, It would be incredibly irresponsible not to release games in those series.

I don't see how xbox one is a halo gears forza churning machine

I don't really wish to go there but look at the competition, are they not doing the same with their big franchises?

nib95

Banned
Guess they play the safe hand then. A new IP would be a pretty big risk to gamble with as not even Micrososft knows how they perform thsi generation. Might not be the worst idea to bet on established IPs but I think that Sony will pretty much blow them away at E3 with many new and interesting IPs on their side.

I think they're going to risk seriously burning out their fan base unless they bring some blockbuster new IP's to the mix. I think TitanFall is one of them, but it's exclusivity for the second game is up in the air, and it's available on other platforms too. Microsoft should just take the gamble with Shangheist or whatever it's called. Certainly more interested in that than I am a new Gears game. And being a first party studio, I think it has better potential to have the proper budget and spectacle behind it.

Montresor

Commenting only on what was leaked today: From my perspective, people are getting Halo 2, Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break (new IP), and Sunset Overdrive (new IP) this fall. Titanfall (happens to be a new IP) is coming out with a themed console this March. White console this fall. Crackdown, Gears, and Platinum game (new IP) all confirmed with 2016 targets. That doesn't necessarily paint a picture of a Halo, Gears, and Forza machine. They don't seem to have the commitment to creating as many new and fresh IPs as Sony at the moment, but they aren't exclusively devoting themselves to three franchises. I'm pleased with the mix of new IPs and existing franchises that are coming out in the near future.

Jarmel

Banned
Every Microsoft Employee is to submit to an interview:
dep.jpg

There will be 4 exclusive Xbox One games this fall that we know of, Forza Horizon 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, Sunset Overdrive, and Quantum Break. Of those, two are new IP, that's not bad.

jem0208

Of course they are, but honestly 90% of the hype comes from the uncertainty and surprise of such announcements.

Of course seeing Chief in 1080p with dual SMG's on New Mombasa will be crazy, as would seeing a possible 60 FPS footage of multiplayer gameplay on HD reskinned maps, but the fact remains, we're all expecting it, most of us in HaloGAF will probably talk about this well into the reveal. We're not going to be as amped as we would've been if it was a secret and our first even hint of knowledge of its existence was seeing a trailer or gameplay footage.

Usually we have a few 343 employees laugh off or deny rumors or fake leaks, they've been surprisingly quiet and yet have been signed into GAF. Their silence is speaking volumes.

Ehh, I'm not so sure. People still get very hyped by footage of games which have been officially announced. This is an insider leak so obviously we can't be certain it's true. I don't think MS need to worry too much if this is what they're showing at E3.

It is a bit telling that Frankie or someone hasn't stepped in and denied the rumours. Pretty awesome really.

Jack cw

There will be 4 exclusive Xbox One games this fall that we know of, Forza Horizon 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, Sunset Overdrive, and Quantum Break. Of those, two are new IP, that's not bad.

Of course its not, but none of them has serious multimillion potential. I like that they still give it a try but they aggressively pushed so many new IPs with the 360 and had success. I find it sad that this selfconfidence is gone now.

Top Bottom