• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

If the lack of info isn't due to some potentially delay-inducing development issues, then I'd assume they're just being tight-lipped about it to generate more hype down the road, like at E3 as you said. At the very least though, I'd expect it to come out after Quantum Break. Though I think that goes opposite to what ntkrnl said, so what the hell do I know; I'd just be a bit surprised if there was such a short interval between information blowout -> launch.

I just remembered that Spencer was teasing it a couple of days ago. Said something about it looking better than the reveal teaser...so I think they are bring tight lipped and will reveal it at E3 and release it in late 2014.

QB is the much more likely candidate to be delayed in my opinion.

Chobel

Are you sure on SO? I vaguely remember reading MS owned that IP.

The reason they're not in good relationship with Sony is because Sony didn't support of the idea of Insomniac owning their IPs.
Also:

Last but not least, there's the following on exclusivity. To cut a long story short, Insomniac has no plans to release Sunset Overdrive on consoles besides Xbox One - "no need to beat the proverbial dead horse" - but given that the independent studio apparently owns all its IP from this point on, a multiplatform release isn't impossible at some point in the very nebulous future. In fact, nothing's impossible.

http://www.totalxbox.com/63422/suns...ve-no-need-to-beat-the-proverbial-dead-horse/

Ushiwaka

That's just a codename, not what the final game would be called. Similar to Shangheist or whatever, I guess.

Cboat already mentioned it too so it seems to be real, just far away.

I know, but even as a codename, "Project Nagano" is way too much revealing :p Anyway, why are we assuming the game is a Kamiya game? just because he was born in Nagano? Even if the codename is really Nagano, it doesn't neccesserily mean its a Kamiya game :p

But they did pick up Gears recently….

I was referring more to the IP they already own and do nothing with. I posted a list of them somewhere...it's criminal they fund garbage like exclusive DLC and modes, but aren't willing to spend some of that money on rebooting some of their older IP.

The reason they're not in good relationship with Sony is because Sony didn't support of the idea of Insomniac owning their IPs.
Also:

http://www.totalxbox.com/63422/suns...ve-no-need-to-beat-the-proverbial-dead-horse/

Thanks for clearing that up. Apologies for the misinformation earlier.

Montresor

I was referring more to the IP they already own and do nothing with. I posted a list of them somewhere...it's criminal they fund garbage like exclusive DLC and modes, but aren't willing to spend some of that money on rebooting some of their older IP.

Thanks for clearing that up. Apologies for the misinformation earlier.

That list you made is awesome. You mind if I tweet it to Phil Spencer later today?

Toki767

I know, but even as a codename, "Project Nagano" is way too much revealing :p Anyway, why are we assuming the game is a Kamiya game? just because he was born in Nagano? Even if the codename is really Nagano, it doesn't neccesserily mean its a Kamiya game :p

Kamiya isn't leading the work on Bayonetta 2, so he's gotta be doing something.

Well thats fine as long as its a platinum game

nib95

Banned

Given the name of the project, and given it's a Platinum Games game, I'd be surprised if the IP wasn't something with Kamiya behind it. Either way, pretty good score for Microsoft. But a LONG way off as it's apparently set for a March 2016 release...

Madness

Well, you can't deny this was a lot of their first party stuff. Halo, Forza, Crackdown, hardware SKU, etc.

Obviously other third party devs might have something, but this seems like a lot of their presentation might have been.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bah on the 'MS wants to press charges' thing. So what if all this is true? All that happens is we get an early sneak at some of the stuff they were planning to announce at E3 - leaks happen all the time - sometimes even acknowledged on stage :)

the other things like a white model and titanfall bundles are pretty meh honestly. Who couldn't guess a different coloured one might come out - especially after pics of the employee model? And a bundle with one of their biggest games of the year?

Honestly MS would be better just shutting the fuck up about it now and not making a fuss. They just draw attention to it otherwise.

Ushiwaka

He was working on a game before TW101, but that was put on hiatus after a year. Maybe he is working on that game again.

So there was a time after that when the project was put on hold and I was working on another project. But when that other project was put on the shelf as well, I came back and revisited the idea for 101.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/wonderful-101-and-a-world-without-genres

Given the name of the project, and given it's a Platinum Games game, I'd be surprised if the IP wasn't something with Kamiya behind it. Either way, pretty good score for Microsoft. But a LONG way off as it's apparently set for a March 2016 release...

If it is a Kamiya game, he should've really loved it given he named the project after his birthplace :p

nib95

Banned

LIST WARS!

I have a list...the only list that matters.

Banjo Kazooie
Conker
Perfect Dark
Battletoads
Crackdown
Midtown Madness
Blinx
Blast Corps
Crackdown
Mechassault
Lost Odyssey
Crimson Skies
Bloodwake
Rallisport Challenge
Blue Dragon
Quantum Redshift
Fusion Frenzy
Kung-Fu Chaos
Freelancer
ilomilo
Jet Force Gemini
Ninety Nine Nights
Viva Pinata
Sudeki
Voodoo Vince

WHERE ARE THE GODDAMN SEQUELS/REBOOTS?

Hell, at least a dozen from that list would be new IP for a whole generation of gamers. Do something with them, Microsoft. Spend some of that $1b on hiring some third party studios to work on those fantastic IP.

Jesus Christ...

Crackdown is coming. But I'll take Banjo and Kazooie (a proper sequel), Viva Piñata and Perfect Dark. And where's PGR?

The Platinum info sounds fishy IMO. He seemed to not know about the Platinum exclusive, we kept bugging him about it, he didn't tell us anything and suddenly he know everything about it? Kinda sounds made up to me. I mean, Kamiya was born in Nagano, isn't naming the project "Project Nagano" WAY out there? I don't know, I'm skeptical on this one.

I'm not saying the game doesn't exist, I'm just saying his info on the game sounds fishy IMO.

Did he ever say that its a new IP?

sounds fishy to me too. I can't believe MS is going to launch XB1 in Japan with no japanese games, not a single exclusivity, plus I don't believe MS would prepare that Platinum title for 2016, seems so far away..

Hey, thuway doesn't want his tweets cross-posted onto GAF. Not to sound like the enforcer, I just think it's gotten him in hot water before and that we should respect the man's wishes.

TheOddOne

I find the notion that they would have finalized all of e3 before feburary to be pretty daft.
3 year roadmaps actually is pretty common.

jbqJAjM7bvduud.png

Hey, thuway doesn't want his tweets cross-posted onto GAF. Not to sound like the enforcer, I just think it's gotten him in hot water before and that we should respect the man's wishes.

Twitter is public domain. If he wants it to be private, don't put it on twitter. It's a pretty ridiculous request, anyone else asking for this would be laughed off.

jem0208

Twitter is public domain. If he wants it to be private, don't put it on twitter. It's a pretty ridiculous request, anyone else asking for this would be laughed off.

Yeah, it's his fault if it gets him in trouble. If you don't want the info to be posted, don't post it in the first place.

Amir0x

Banned
On the other hand, it sounds like Microsoft is going to do whatever they can to hunt down ntkrnl. Some serious shit is about to go down any day.

Well the hunt is on. Now that we know ntlkrnl is a true blue one-of-us, we gotta have his back. He's a part of the community and what defines us.

IN FORMATION, NEOGAF! Ain't nobody touchin' our leakers, Microsoft.

remember how everyone was like

'yeah they'll start with new IPs but it'll end up like last gen, just halo, gears, forza and fable'

and it's ended up exactly like that, but without the new IPs
People say that MS is producing these "new I.Ps"
And granted SO and QB sound great but they're third party exclusives (TitanFall and Spark aren't a system seller for me because I have a capable enough rig to run it anytime I please)

If one looks into the future judging by these leaks you'd see that MS's first party studios are producing the same old, same old with the exception of a new Crackdown... The very reason why I left the 360 was because of this and after letting the hype die down I feel kind of saddened by MS's vision for their future line up ( only maybe the rumored Platnium game and Crackdown could reignite my flame... Maybe Fable Legends)

Of course some people would argue that Sony may be doing the same thing with KZ, Uncharted and inFamous and I somewhat agree that I'd rather see ND make a new I. P but seriously they're are multiple factors that come into this for me

1. More then 3 titles on your main devices (consoles) within the time frame of 6-7 years and your title needs a break ( U4 is one of these)

2. You may revisit a I.P that exceeded clause #1 if a gap of 5-6 years is present (Sly Cooper could be an example here)

3. If you do ignore clause #1 and #2 then you must place the existing franchise in a new location with a new protagonist... Also the game must be set after the last iteration (No prequels allowed - I am looking at you GoW Judgement and GOW Ascension)

Note: prequels are only allowed if they are dlc and or for another branch off platform like a handheld

So let us review this with both MS's and Sony's First Party Studios

Judging by the rumors of Gears coming out in 2016 it is therefore not following #1,#2

Also the next Uncharted is also not following
#1,#2

#3 could be plausible but there are factors here that might prevent it both in opposite cases for either games

U4 will be set in a new place but they may still have the same protagonist ( of course some people would say that you can't have a Uncharted game without Drake)

Gears could have a new character but a new location would be hard in the colour less world of Gears but who knows they could pull a KZ SF on us( of course people would argue as well that you can't have a good Gears game without Marcus)

Both games could fail #3 Though if they are prequels

To also note here is that compared to MS, Sony has multiple in house studios working on new games maybe even new I.Ps so there could be multiple chances for us to get something new (this is being optimistic) or revivals of old franchisees that have been in limbo like case #2

We know that GG is working on a new I.P and it is rumored that Stig's (SSM) team is working on one as well

MS has LionHead working on something and their other new I.P (Spark) isn't platform exclusive

Other then that they have third party games that could leave anytime or not have a sequel... With the exception of QB

So I don't know that if I have something to look in 2015/16 and if the XO would be a good long term investment seeing as MS is going back to their safe bet strategy...

You guys could be excited though

Awesome. Let's hope he responds and with some good news. I suspect they might be lockdown right now though...

Crackdown is coming. But I'll take Banjo and Kazooie (a proper sequel), Viva Piñata and Perfect Dark. And where's PGR?

In fairness, I compiled that list moments before ntkrnl appeared and started dropping bombs.

As for PGR, I've given up hope after the PGR speculation thread. Never has a thread toyed with my emotions as much as that one did. Still upsets me thinking about all the ups and downs.

Anyway, we've got Drive Club and Horizon 2 to look forward to, so it's not all bad on the arcade racer front.

I can't believe MS is going to launch XB1 in Japan with no japanese games, not a single exclusivity

Did ntkrnl say that? Microsoft said they'll be talking about content for Japanese gamers closer to the Japanese launch. That may or may not include some new games/exclusives.

I don't get why people think that last night's leaks are everything Microsoft has planned for the near future.

Amir0x

Banned
I just want a sequel to Crimson Skies. If Microsoft did that, all resolve I have to wait for a $299.99 XBO SKU would melt away and I'd come pathetically limping to its feet, begging for a system to play it on

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
I don't get why people think that last night's leaks are everything Microsoft has planned for the near future.

Because a few other high profile leakers have said these leaks were so damaging that it was literally everything Microsoft had planned to reveal up to E3. I mean, it's obviously not all they have to announce ever, and I'd expect a slight nod to the Japanese audience, but Microsoft knows that's a lost cause anyway so is probably planning more long term so that they can have appealing more Japanese titles for Western audiences. They probably don't really care if the Japanese launch sells 10 units or 5, they know that's a lost cause.

Toki767

Well the hunt is on. Now that we know ntlkrnl is a true blue one-of-us, we gotta have his back. He's a part of the community and what defines us.

I was somewhat joking on Twitter that if cboat ever gets caught and sued, I would totally support a kickstarter to help pay for his legal fees. Hopefully that day never comes for him or ntkrnl, but these were apparently really super serious leaks that could have easily pissed off multiple companies. Microsoft, EA, Respawn, 343, Insomniac, Platinum Games. Someone is practically guaranteed to take the fall for this.

Madness

Just by how specific he got and how detailed all the information was, it won't be as hard in a sense no? I mean this guy knew most of the hardware/software roadmap for at least this year and the next. Phil, Major Nelson, have been dark since the leaks broke. Hopefully this leaker knows just how bad MS wants to find him now, and took steps beforehand.

Top Bottom