• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

My double-blind theory is that ntkrnl is pulling a double bluff con, and he is really CBOAT, just taking the heat off of his other persona

My other theories are ntkrnl is a Microsoft Azure server that's gained sentience, he's Phil Spencer in a Guy Fawkes mask, he's Jay Allard, a corporate spy, Yosp, etc etc etc

Fake edit: Oh shit top of the page. Hi. I'm not ntkrnl.

My double-blind theory is that ntkrnl is pulling a double bluff con, and he is really CBOAT, just taking the heat off of his other persona

My other theories are ntkrnl is a Microsoft Azure server that's gained sentience, he's Phil Spencer in a Guy Fawkes mask, he's Jay Allard, a corporate spy, Yosp, etc etc etc

Fake edit: Oh shit top of the page. Hi. I'm not ntkrnl.

Sounds like something ntkrnl would say.

beast786

I don't get why people think just because MS wants to press charges so he isn't a plant. Honest question. What else would they say? Of course they will say that. Doesn't prove anything either side of the argument

shandy706

I just don't get the mindset that makes people believe that there aren't secret/new projects by game developers with new consoles.

Why do people need to be told this?

let me throw my hat into the ring...

This really doesnt make much sense to me? How would cutting the disc drive shave off 100? Are they counting on more revenue because these owners cant trade in games?

A xbox one for 399$ would be enough reason for some people to jump on the train (not the hype one), instead buying the PS4 due to a lower price. They still prefer the xbox as brand.

This 399$ xbox leak is really the most interesting point for me - is it plausible?

Absolutely

We had Albert, major Nelson open account and vanished . We have bish banning shills like crazy.

The type of social media and marketing has changed drastically. Hell ms were kissing you tubers behind as evident by major physically going to boogie house during his busy launch time.

Gaf is 10x bigger than all the above.

yeah, could be a grassroots marketing thing, which already happened (but very different) with machinima.

if so, this would make sense:

I don't think this would be done so people don't look at sales numbers. I think it's done because ms have just received their sales numbers and an estimation of sonys and they're hoping to reinvigorate the platform. Honestly, not much was really leaked if you slow down and look back:

Forza horizon 2 - well yea, already suspected strongly.
GoW 2016 - work started jan 20th, 2016 makes perfect sense.
Halo 2 - this is the main one, but is not out of this world as we already had halo anniversary and this is masking halo 5 delay.
Halo tv show - already leaked
Crackdown - Phil Spencer's worst kept secret
Titanfall bundle - not that surprising, we've seen the controller and marketing is big, if it was a controlled leak this would need to be announced soon anyway so why not do it like this and create some buzz about it?
White xb1 - been rumored before
Platinum game - already rumored

MS haven't really let the cat out of the bag on much here at all, most were rumored and nothing is confirmed by this, yet people are talking about xb1 right now and not tomb raider performance or machinima or drm.

I don't think this is to hide npd, I think it's because of the contents of npd.

everything is already known or expected at least - no big deal, nearly zero marketing costs, high impact.

If ya wanna get really tinfoil-hat theorycrafting, it could be part of some careful attack to discredit CBOAT and other insiders while at the same time replacing him with a controlled source. Hey, I didn't say it was tinfoil-hat tier for nuffin'.
A9FXSbl.gif

I'll take the tinfoil-hat and add something for conspiracyGAF. It was not to discredit only cboat ... but to discredit GAF at all. A counter intelligence play at it's best. And if you read posts like this (trigger warning reddit/r/xboxone) it appears to be partly successful.
q7aoJS8.gif

Actually, I don't believe myself regarding this theory, please don't take it serious.

Furthermore, famousmortimer already clarified that it wasn't controlled. And I believe.

Anyway...
In no universe is a straight port a megaton.
I love this sentence.

I don't get why people think just because MS wants to press charges so he isn't a plant. Honest question. What else would they say? Of course they will say that. Doesn't prove anything either side of the argument

There's no compelling reason to think he is a plant to begin with.

They didn't say that, famousmortimer did. Maybe he's a part of the conspiracy as well.

They didn't say that, famousmortimer did. Maybe he's a part of the conspiracy as well.

I might be. I don't even know anymore.

All I can say is I talked to a higher level guy at ms than I ever had previously and he was fucking livid about these leaks.

I'm with you guys though. I knew half this shit and I'm in suburban Connecticut. The other half wasn't a stretch at all.

I might be. I don't even know anymore.

All I can say is I talked to a higher level guy at ms than I ever had previously and he was fucking livid about these leaks.

I'm with you guys though. I knew half this shit and I'm in suburban Connecticut. The other half wasn't a stretch at all.

Did you sleep?

Moofers

It seems odd that they would be "pissed" at all, Mort. Nothing major was revealed and even if it had been, it's all just rumors on a forum nobody wants to take seriously anyway. The only reason we are acknowledged is because of our size. I can't imagine anyone at MS treating this as anything more than "well, nerds will speculate! No further comments".

The whole idea of a manhunt for this guy and Cboat makes for good internet drama though... ;)

ironcreed

Banned
I thought he was, but famousmortimer says on twitter that ms is PISSED and wants to press charges on whoever the leaker is.

Lawds, I'm starting to think it was Cboat himself trying to throw the scent off. Regardless, and even if Microsoft is pissed, it did nothing but make me more excited.

While MS is pissed that this didn't get out on their dime, I think this may be a blessing in disguise for them.

They get the following:
1. Early indication of appetite for their upcoming slate of games which should provide them with more guidance than a generic survey every could
2. Early indication of interest in a ODD-less console at $399, which they can sell at that price as the DD-only games will allow them to recoup any losses and they may work on a kickback to the retailers whom lose out on the game prices
3. An overall sense of how their E3 may play out and what people are really looking for

Moofers

While MS is pissed that this didn't get out on their dime, I think this may be a blessing in disguise for them.

They get the following:
1. Early indication of appetite for their upcoming slate of games which should provide them with more guidance than a generic survey every could
2. Early indication of interest in a ODD-less console at $399, which they can sell at that price as the DD-only games will allow them to recoup any losses and they may work on a kickback to the retailers whom lose out on the game prices
3. An overall sense of how their E3 may play out and what people are really looking for

3- MS is too detached from us to care about what we want to see at E3. They still think it's about appealing to investors and shareholders while garnering press for the latest gimmick their new gizmo can perform. I don't think they care about how they are percieved on GAF during E3.

4 hours.

What I haven't done yet it play a videogame. All I've done is talk about them.

#TrueGAFFER

Don't worry, same here

If the leaker was for real then I can't imagine MS HQ right now. It's got to be chaos over there. Also, if he was for real, then I wonder why he didn't at least hint towards to new IPs. My worry is that this truly means MS will just double down on their usual monotonous cycle.

3- MS is too detached from us to care about what we want to see at E3. They still think it's about appealing to investors and shareholders while garnering press for the latest gimmick their new gizmo can perform. I don't think they care about how they are percieved on GAF during E3.

All companies care more about their shareholders than how they are perceived by GAF. Sony's investors are clamoring for divestitures, and don't think they aren't considering it.

The main point is this gives an early indication of what the group they supposedly wronged can get excited about.

FrankT

So this whole thing that this was a smoke job by MS to out Cboat is bullocks and Thuways twitter rantings during the whole thing saying journalist are involved was BS as well.

Not surprising.

It is also not surprising some thought this was a MS sanctioned leak to build hype. Far from it.

All of the rumors being true and even the Titanfall bundle does not surprise either.

Only thing I'm trying to wrap my mind around is this Halo 2/3/4 stuff and when they are launching.

_hekk05

Banned
A xbox one for 399$ would be enough reason for some people to jump on the train (not the hype one), instead buying the PS4 due to a lower price. They still prefer the xbox as brand.

This 399$ xbox leak is really the most interesting point for me - is it plausible?

Is it plausible? Sure. Is it a good business decision though?

I personally think Sony is in a better position with a disc-drive-less console, because their PlayGo technology is pretty good. With the xbone, you would probably have to download close to the entire thing. Also, those most primed to go into pure digital are the hardcore, most of whom have already purchased a xbone. Also, looking at the download and patch sizes we've seen these days, we can rule out anyone with a data cap.

Personally, impact will be minimal until xbone's download technology has been improved. I also bet some clueless consumers will buy the 399 console thinking its cheaper, as well as some disc-based games, then going home to realise there is no disc drive.

Besides, the inability to play dvds and blurays essentially cripple the xbone as an all-in-one entertainment system™.

Slightly off topic, I still don't believe there are pallets of titanfall xbones sitting in SEA. I don't think we even assemble xbones here. Xbone also releases 1 month after xbone here. Doesn't make any sense to ship them to SEA at this moment.

If the leaker was for real then I can't imagine MS HQ right now. It's got to be chaos over there. Also, if he was for real, then I wonder why he didn't at least hint towards to new IPs. My worry is that this truly means MS will just double down on their usual monotonous cycle.

Well their "commitment to new IP" obviously is bullshit. Black Tusk's game had a lot of potential. Instead they are now working on a tired and dead franchise.

I love my xbox one. I believe everything that the new leaker said and I do believe that MS is pissed. I also believe, as someone with a very minor interest in halo, that all of that news was rather boring.

:/

Well their "commitment to new IP" obviously is bullshit. Black Tusk's game had a lot of potential. Instead they are now working on a tired and dead franchise.

I love my xbox one. I believe everything that the new leaker said and I do believe that MS is pissed. I also believe, as someone with a very minor interest in halo, that all of that news was rather boring.

It just boggles my mind though that even after all the complaints over their Forza/Halo/Gears cycle, they decide to go with more of the same rather than innovate. So I'm guessing in their mind, a constant barrage of these three or four same franchises will mitigate Sony's multiplat advantage and world class first party studios? Is MS seriously that far gone?

People are quick to jump and call yesterday's leaks "megatons" but they're really not. Everything he said (game wise) are just confirmations of what we already saw coming. If one wasn't going to get an Xbox One before, they certainly aren't now. If the platinum exclusive is real, and if it's actually exclusive here in NA, then I guess March 2016 is when I'll get an X1 (at the earliest)

The Halo news was boring? Yeah, maybe, but the rest of the stuff was good stuff. I was most excited to find out Quantum Break is targeting 2014. Huge Remedy fan now.

I'm pretty sure we've known QD was targeting 2014 for a long time now. People just assumed (and still do) it was going to slip to 2015.

The Halo news was boring? Yeah, maybe, but the rest of the stuff was good stuff. I was most excited to find out Quantum Break is targeting 2014. Huge Remedy fan now.

FrankT

QB and Sunset must not be dedicated new IP of which if this guy is right we will see this year.

They only used Black Tusk because they have no other capable team to do the job. He only mentioned Halo in 2015. Take your pick in which they will surely have more than that.

I hope everyone who thought this would be a controlled leak feels stupid (including me). Like EmCeeGrammar said... Imagine that: famoustortimer's gut feelings turned out to be completely false and almost entirely without merit.

Yep I thought it was and now I feel dumb. I'm eating crow over that. I read the situation very wrong. Man I feel for our new leaker :( but he really did stick his head in a hornets nest

tkalamba

But aren't they releasing new IP's like Quantum Break, Titanfall, Project Spark and Sunset Overdrive? Sure, not all of these are first party, but they are new IP's and exclusive. It's not like it strange to see titles of popular existing franchises coming out.

statham

If the ports of Halo 3/4 are true, they better bring over Halo 1 too, I want all the Halos on one box.

But aren't they releasing new IP's like Quantum Break, Titanfall, Project Spark and Sunset Overdrive? Sure, not all of these are first party, but they are new IP's and exclusive. It's not like it strange to see titles of popular existing franchises coming out.
and all this year too, and I'm sure some exclusive indies are coming.

beast786

Knowing target dates is no megaton. now if he actually said some cool stuff about the game then I can understand the hype.

The fact this leak was so clean to reveal nothing yet still creat hype and awareness was and is sounds like plant.

The biggest news was delay of halo 5 to 2015 when all of us thought it was coming this year because MS hinted. Yet now that bad bomb shell was drop and no one even cares.

Didn't the leaker say something about new mentioning new IPs because he didn't want to ruin the surprise? If 2014 is any indication with Titanfall, Halo 2 Anniversary, Forza Horizon 2, Quantum Break, Project Spark, and Sunset Overdrive, MS is pushing a solid exclusive lineup. I can't see Fable Legends and Halo 5 being their only 2015 titles after the 2014 they're putting together. I'm sure we'll see more surprise games from third-party devs that have been contracted.

It seems odd that they would be "pissed" at all, Mort. Nothing major was revealed and even if it had been, it's all just rumors on a forum nobody wants to take seriously anyway. The only reason we are acknowledged is because of our size. I can't imagine anyone at MS treating this as anything more than "well, nerds will speculate! No further comments".

The whole idea of a manhunt for this guy and Cboat makes for good internet drama though... ;)
They are still leaks. This industry absolutely hates them. It potentially ruins E3 and their marketing plan. Given most websites are already reporting it you can bet your ass a lot of people will take it very seriously.

Seems like you are suffering from Sequelitis

I usually set myself with a rule set for Game Publishers... if I should be interested in their next game or not

I stated this a few pages back but it is still relevant in my eyes

1. You can't have more then 3 consecutive titles on main devices (Consoles/PC) within the time frame of up to 7 years... If so then your title needs a break

2. You may revisit a I.P that exceeded clause #1 if a gap of 5-6 years is present (Sly Cooper could be an example here)

3. If you do ignore clause #1 and #2 then you must place the existing franchise in a new location or with a new protagonist (or both)... Also the game must be set after the last iteration (No prequels allowed - I am looking at you GoW Judgement and GOW Ascension)

Note: Prequels are only allowed if they are dlc and or for another branch off platform like a handheld

Note 2: One could only go so far with clause #3 especially if the title has similar gameplay styles that are present throughout the series

Unless you have information you're not sharing with us about their line-up for the rest of 2014 (Ruffian or any other developer they're working with) and 2015, then how you can say its bullshit because one new IP is on hold/cancelled is beyond me.

Also, is Gears tired? Probably, dead? No.

Knowing target dates is no megaton. now if he actually said some cool stuff about the game then I can understand the hype.

The fact this leak was so clean to reveal nothing yet still creat hype and awareness was and is sounds like plant.

The biggest news was delay of halo 5 to 2015 when all of us thought it was coming this year because MS hinted. Yet now that bad bomb shell was drop and no one even cares.

Speak for yourself, Halo 2 Anniversary and Forza Horizon 2 releasing this year are megatons for me and I'm sure it is for a lot of other Forza and Halo fans.

About Halo 5 coming next year, its not really a big deal since the Xbox One is getting some really interesting exclusives this year. And more development time isn't a bad thing either so i don't really see why it should be a big thing.

Controlled leak or not, it sure got a lot of people hyped which is a positive thing.

Unless you have information you're not sharing with us about their line-up for the rest of 2014 (Ruffian or any other developer they're working with) and 2015, then how you can say its bullshit because one new IP is on hold/cancelled is beyond me.

Also, is Gears tired? Probably, dead? No.

Gears is tired but not dead. As for the speculation, look at the 360 for the last 3 or so years. It's been pretty much barren, what makes you think MS will suddenly turn around and change that? Yes, they'll have a strong first year but after that who knows. There are very good and legitimate reasons to doubt them.

ironcreed

Banned

But they have a launched with new IPs and have announced others as well. All I am seeing is a healthy mix of old and new. Which is what I'm expecting from both Microsoft and Sony. Neither are just going to drop old successful franchises and there are plenty of people who will be excited to see them in all their next-gen glory.

Linkified

Eh? Are they investing in Remedy and Insomniac projects? Yes. Have they got an exclusive publishing contract which prevents these projects going to appear on other games consoles, apart from PC? Probably. So I don't get the problem.

We're getting 2 brand new exclusive IPs already this year with Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive.
I don't understand how people can say they not committed to new IP...

Speak for yourself, Halo 2 Anniversary and Forza Horizon 2 releasing this year are megatons for me and I'm sure it is for a lot of other Forza and Halo fans.

About Halo 5 coming next year, its not really a big deal since the Xbox One is getting some really interesting exclusives this year. And more development time isn't a bad thing either so i don't really see why it should be a big thing.

Controlled leak or not, it sure got a lot of people hyped which is a positive thing.

I would be kind of like The Last of Us GotY Edition releasing for PS4 this holiday season and Uncharted 4 being pushed back. I don't think many people would be angry about that either.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Everything that was leaked may not necessarily come true because things get delayed all the time and plans get scrapped.

As for the reasoning behind some of these strategies, every one of them has a logical explanation:

Halo 2A: Short development time vs amount it will sell. The beta will help H2A *and* H5 sales/hype like it did with Crackdown. They could start porting Halo 3/4 right now and still have it ready by Nov 11 if it's just an up res. Halo CE, ODST, and Reach could be released digitally later for those who want to complete their collections. $20 a pop. No brainer.

Discless SKU: $399 price and losses on each recouped with increased margins for MS selling games digitally to those owners. It's not for everyone but it's a wise move especially if they guarantee a disc-based version throughout XB1's lifespan. MS's #1 goal right now is price parity with PS4 and then they will compete on games with their war chest.

More Sequels: Those franchises helped 360 reach #1 in NA/UK last gen so why not bank on them again, at least as a foundation? New IP is coming... Titanfall, SO, and QB are examples of that. "XB1, the only place you can play Halo, Titanfall, and COD..." That's powerful in the west.

Top Bottom