• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Madness

It had to be BS , going by how much timevwevwere told the TombRaider port took , making H2/3/4 ports to X1 would be approaching new game dev time.

But why would he lie about all that, and be so specific about it? I mean he was vindicated on the hardware side, and another thing is, our 343 employee GAF'ers here went dark too even though they were still logged in. A simple laugh post like they've done in the past for rumors and leaks would have shut him down. Instead they didn't even acknowledge it at all.

Who knows how he got this information, but I'm inclined to believe him now.

jem0208

It had to be BS , going by how much timevwevwere told the TombRaider port took , making H2/3/4 ports to X1 would be approaching new game dev time.

The Tomb raider port was more than just a straight up HD port though, which is what ntkrnl was implying the Halo 3 and 4 ports would be.

Amir0x

Banned
Just by how specific he got and how detailed all the information was, it won't be as hard in a sense no? I mean this guy knew most of the hardware/software roadmap for at least this year and the next. Phil, Major Nelson, have been dark since the leaks broke. Hopefully this leaker knows just how bad MS wants to find him now, and took steps beforehand.

Possible that a strategic memo went out to some high profile staffers and this guy was essentially reading off the road map. Indeed, it wouldn't be too hard to narrow it down considering how absurdly specific the details are. He knew exact details of betas 11 months out, of collector's editions with their specific contents, of SKUs and tentative dates for games coming out in 2016. It's like surgeon precision here. I hope our man is as good a hider as cboat has been over the decade.

I was somewhat joking on Twitter that if cboat ever gets caught and sued, I would totally support a kickstarter to help pay for his legal fees. Hopefully that day never comes for him or ntkrnl, but these were apparently really super serious leaks that could have easily pissed off multiple companies. Microsoft, EA, Respawn, 343, Insomniac, Platinum Games. Someone is practically guaranteed to take the fall for this.

I would support such a Kickstarter, even though I think his case would be pretty cut-and-dry and therefore bleak. But I'd like him to know he would have the support of the community in that event, I hope. These are our people, and in some small way they have contributed both to the growth of the community and part of why we're so tight knit: cause crazy shit like this can go down at any time. I want to support members who made that version of GAF possible.

Did ntkrnl say that? Microsoft said they'll be talking about content for Japanese gamers closer to the Japanese launch. That may or may not include some new games/exclusives.

I don't get why people think that last night's leaks are everything Microsoft has planned for the near future.

yes you're right, but I can't help but feel many people think that way, like if everything this guy leaked is all MS has in store for XB1.

ekim

How big is the chance that MS will comment on this leak given the significance? Will they stick to their "not comment on rumors and speculation"?

jem0208

How big is the chance that MS will comment on this leak given the significance? Will they stick to their "not comment on rumors and speculation"?

I think they'll probably stick with no comments however considering the size of it I'm not so sure.

Toki767

It's probably that or not comment until they find out who was responsible.

I would laugh so hard if ntkrnl was like some janitor working at Microsoft and one day while cleaning Phil Spencer's office he came across their 3 year road map.

Amir0x

Banned

I mean this leaker ntlkrnl said this will all be coming out late Feb/Early March. And Spencer made a comment about how something was going down March 9 well before any of these leaks started happening. So it's possible they were already planning some event to boost morale for the system that would have had at least some of this info. If that is the case, they may choose to simply move up that shit and let us in on the stuff they were going to share with us March 9 right now. Alternatively they might say "not comment on rumours and speculation", which would be as good as confirming it anyway in PR speak, so we'd just have to be patient then :p

inthebetween said:
yes you're right, but I can't help but feel many people think that way, like if everything this guy leaked is all MS has in store for XB1.

Some insiders said this was literally their entire ballgame of announcements up through E3 this year, so it does seem at least to be a significant portion of what they had planned to share with us this year.

Chobel

There's Verge article about it, MS will have to comment on it especially the white xbone.

ekim

I mean this leaker ntlkrnl said this will all be coming out late Feb/Early March. And Spencer made a comment about how something was going down March 9 well before any of these leaks started happening. So it's possible they were already planning some event to boost morale for the system that would have had at least some of this info. If that is the case, they may choose to simply move up that shit and let us in on the stuff they were going to share with us March 9 right now. Alternatively they might say "not comment on rumours and speculation", which would be as good as confirming it anyway in PR speak, so we'd just have to be patient then :p

Link?

Amir0x

Banned

I'd have to dig it out of the last topic we had on this since it was a tweet and I can't find the specific tweet at the moment. It was in reference to this event maybe though.

An Interview with Phil Spencer

#sxsw #PSpencer

Phil Spencer leads Microsoft Studios and oversees creative teams around the world developing games, entertainment and premium content experiences for Microsoft’s family of devices including Xbox One, Xbox 360, Kinect, Surface, Windows PC and mobile phones.

This session will be a fireside chat with Phil Spencer, Head of Microsoft Studios moderated by Geoff Keighley, discussing Phil's experiences as a game developer and head of one the most innovative companies in gaming. The fan session will discuss Phil's history, the exciting launch of the Xbox One, the exciting new games under his Microsoft Studios umbrella, much more!

Its odd that they would have a redone halo 2 and then just tack on Halo 3 and 4. Maybe they are just making the story available for Xbox one owners or its just a way to make H2a more desirable. It would be hard for most gamers to pass up on all that halo goodness.

Amir0x

Banned
Its odd that they would have a redone halo 2 and then just tack on Halo 3 and 4. Maybe they are just making the story available for Xbox one owners or its just a way to make H2a more desirable. It would be hard for most gamers to pass up on all that halo goodness.

Well 3 and 4 are from the 360 gen, so they wouldn't need as much rework to look competent for a quick port by default I'd think.

Toki767

$250 CE would be a pretty easy pass.

I can't believe the halo 3 and 4 stuff.

Werent there Halo 3 steam edition rumors last year.
So there is at least some smoke for Halo 3 running on a x86 platform.
If there is an pc version then an X1 version doesn't seems so far.
But time will tell might actually get the Warcollection if true :p

graywolf323

odd that they wouldn't just throw in Halo 1 Anniversary too and make it complete

Overall this is bad for MS because announcements are so critical to this industry. GAF is going to be very boring at e3 for sure.
microsofts e3 that is.

Because a few other high profile leakers have said these leaks were so damaging that it was literally everything Microsoft had planned to reveal up to E3.

Right. I really don't want to offend our "high profile leakers", but other than CBOAT's their track records are spotty at best. Their confused reactions to last night's leaks speak for themselves.

That said, I also believe that in terms of big hitters that's pretty much it for Microsoft's 2014, but that's only because the leaks cover pretty much all of their biggest franchises except for Gears (which has just been assigned a new developer) and Kinect Sports (which has a new entry coming out before E3; I won't count Dance Central as Microsoft's franchise). I still expect some surprises in terms of new high profile IPs, and several smaller titles, perhaps some returning cult favorites.

JaggedSac

Well the hunt is on. Now that we know ntlkrnl is a true blue one-of-us, we gotta have his back. He's a part of the community and what defines us.

IN FORMATION, NEOGAF! Ain't nobody touchin' our leakers, Microsoft.

I woke up to some crazy stuff. So the ntkrnl guy wasn't doing a controlled leak?

JaggedSac

Some insiders said this was literally their entire ballgame of announcements up through E3 this year, so it does seem at least to be a significant portion of what they had planned to share with us this year.

Yep, and some of these insiders are very vain and would certainly like to get in on all the action by saying things such as, "Oh hey, I've heard all of this stuff too. Listen to me too. I know stuff too. Please."

ekim

I'd have to dig it out of the last topic we had on this since it was a tweet and I can't find the specific tweet at the moment. It was in reference to this event maybe though.

Hm... so if they planned to release that stuff in March already, then maybe the press already got some assets and that's where the leak origins? That would also explain why major outlets report on those rumors because they know they are true.

Toki767

Hm... so if they planned to release that stuff in March already, then maybe the press already got some assets and that's where the leak origins? That would also explain why major outlets report on those rumors because they know they are true.

It's important to note that major outlets (Verge, Polygon, Engadget) are only really reporting the white Xbox One, the possible disc-less Xbox One, and the Titanfall bundle as news. They all skipped the games related content.

Amir0x

Banned
Right. I really don't want to offend our "high profile leakers", but other than CBOAT's their track records are spotty at best. Their confused reactions to last night's leaks speak for themselves. That said, I also believe that in terms of big hitters that's pretty much it for Microsoft's 2014, but that's only because the leaks cover pretty much all of their biggest franchises except for Gears (which has just been assigned a new developer) and Kinect Sports (which has a new entry coming out before E3; I won't count Dance Central as Microsoft's franchise). I still expect some surprises in terms of new high profile IPs, and several smaller titles, perhaps some returning cult favorites.

All leakers have downs and ups, it's the nature of the beast. Leaks are highly dangerous since everything is subject to change. famousmortimer's track record has been quite good, and even rivals cboat's record this year. He's still a second hand source, but I have no reason to doubt him given I know more of the details on how he knows what he does on this specific subject. I understand for others it may not be as simple as that since they do not know.

I mean I expect them to pull some things out of their hat NOW because if it is true that this is what they were going to reveal up to E3 (and it's perfectly plausible... this was a LOT of stuff by any E3 conference standards, even if it wasn't completely unpredictable) they obviously still want to have surprises. So it may have forced their hand a bit on that score. Which is fine by me, earlier access to the information I have to make my future decisions easier!

Edit: Also, most of these leaks were first party or exclusive related, and Microsoft loves their third party partnerships, so a lot of the unknown surprises could come in that form.

I woke up to some crazy stuff. So the ntkrnl guy wasn't doing a controlled leak?

Well the only option left that we haven't fully explored is that maybe ntkrnl was fed this information and didn't realize he was being used to leak just this information, but I don't think anyone wants to really go down that path given how everything else has checked out and the other insiders now saying Microsoft is actively trying to pursue this leaker with legal repercussions.

So I think we're all settled into supporting our leaker completely now :D

Yep, and some of these insiders are very vain and would certainly like to get in on all the action by saying things such as, "Oh hey, I've heard all of this stuff too. Listen to me too. I know stuff too. Please."

All leakers are vain in some way. But especially in the case of famousmortimer, he has demonstrated he wants his reputation to mean something, and usually doubles and triple verifies his sources before confirming or posting something. Until his behavior or leaks indicate otherwise, I will continue to put substantial merit into what he says as a highlight.

jem0208

MilkBeard

Remember, Nintendo released Metroid Prime Trilogy, which was the newest game (Metroid Prime 3) and it included Metroid Prime 1 and 2, with reworked controls for the wiimote. And they sold that for the price of one normal game. Now, keeping that in mind, it seems not too far fetched that MS would do a moderately substantial remake for Halo 2, and then include quick upscaled versions of 3/4.

FiggyCal

Banned
I feel bad for not trusting ntkrnl if he trully isn't an MS plant.

But you don't go leaking THIS amount of info at once. At the very least, you give this info to another leaker like CBOAT, famousmortimer or whoever.

Also what's with gopherd's comment. Seems like that's what set everyone off and it meant absolutely nothing. Of course all he really did was put the word "leaks" in quotations and a smiley face.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that until CBOAT posts - he is not okay.

MilkBeard

I feel bad for not trusting ntkrnl if he trully isn't an MS plant.

But you don't go leaking THIS amount of info at once. At the very least, you give this info to another leaker like CBOAT, famousmortimer or whoever.

Also what's with gopherd's comment. Seems like that's what set everyone off and it meant absolutely nothing. Of course all he really did was put the word "leaks" in quotations and a smiley face.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that until CBOAT posts - he is not okay.

Mort said Cboat is fine, and thuway retweeted it. Not taking that as gospel exactly, but I think that is a decent confirmation.

On the other hand, ntkernl might have diverted attention from CBOAT, as this new leaker's leaks are pretty intense and detailed. In some way I'm more concerned about that person getting caught.

Top Bottom