• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: Still have flagship games in development; "new IP critical"

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Of course its not, but none of them has serious multimillion potential. I like that they still give it a try but they aggressively pushed so many new IPs with the 360 and had success. I find it sad that this selfconfidence is gone now.

I think it's too early to say that for now. It already seems like they're invested in Sunset Overdrive if it's getting a console/controller for it.

Ehh, I'm not so sure. People still get very hyped by footage of games which have been officially announced. This is an insider leak so obviously we can't be certain it's true. I don't think MS need to worry too much if this is what they're showing at E3.

It is a bit telling that Frankie or someone hasn't stepped in and denied the rumours. Pretty awesome really.

Corporations are super controlling over information for their products, this is evident in how gaming publishers deal out information about their games. MS certainly isn't pleased with all of this very specific information being leaked and destroying their marketing cycle.

Of course its not, but none of them has serious multimillion potential. I like that they still give it a try but they aggressively pushed so many new IPs with the 360 and had success. I find it sad that this selfconfidence is gone now.
If you want proven, multimillion potential, you release more Gears of War games, not make new IPs. It's risky, which is why the industry is averse to it.

Well then...

post-23983-I-saw-that-going-differently-i-Zlmp.gif

jem0208

Corporations are super controlling over information for their products, this is evident in how gaming publishers deal out information about their games. MS certainly isn't please with all of this very specific information being leaked and destroying their marketing cycle.

Oh I completely agree. If this is a legit leak then MS are going to be fucking pissed. I'm just saying that I don't think it'll reduce the hype from E3 too much.

Finalizer

This was when Mortimer still thought this was a controlled leak?

Yeah, but I'd assume the "all true" bit is still applicable if MS is in the mood to press charges over it.

Hey, a new tweet just as I was typing up this post:

The ferocity in which ms is going after him kinda says it all in terms of validity, doesn't it...

When will we get Jan NPD results?

Presumably mid-February? Mort has also said a few times that MS isn't doing so hot for Jan sales.

Both. Sony had a strong January. Microsoft had a weak one. Combine that and it's oh shit time for MS.

Jack cw

If you want proven, multimillion potential, you release more Gears of War games, not make new IPs. It's risky, which is why the industry is averse to it.
That was my point. Its not bad to rely on already established IPs. But to completly focus on it is something that might be a bit too much as new IPs have more potential to bring new people to the console and reach a wider audience.

rdrr gnr

Corporations are super controlling over information for their products, this is evident in how gaming publishers deal out information about their games. MS certainly isn't pleased with all of this very specific information being leaked and destroying their marketing cycle.
Fuck 'em. We don't have any actual journalists doing this for us, so anonymous forum members it is.

nib95

Banned
On reflection, Microsoft have a pretty good Fall line up. I wouldn't say there's anything particularly head line grabbing, but it's intriguing overall. Forza Horizon 2, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break and a Halo 2 remake. Be interesting to see what Sony brings to the mix for their fall line up, because so far they've been pretty tight lipped.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
remember how everyone was like

'yeah they'll start with new IPs but it'll end up like last gen, just halo, gears, forza and fable'

and it's ended up exactly like that, but without the new IPs

https://twitter.com/atPeteDodd/status/428822828775796736

This dude is fockin' dead.

iunno, I was veering toward controlled info simply because I didn't believe anyone could be so monumentally stupid as to candidly reveal all this info. Someone is soon going to get gangbanged by an army of corporate lawyers.

Well then...

I guess the future for the X1 isn't as bad as I thought it would be. H2A, Halo 3 port, Horizon 2 (with weather), Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break this year (although I wouldn't be surprised to see QB delayed into 2015) Crackdown 3, new game from Platinum (please let it be Phantom Dust 2) and whatever Rare might be cooking up....

Did he say anything about the ID@ games?

Chobel

Well then...

I guess the future for the X1 isn't as bad as I thought it would be. H2A, Halo 3 port, Horizon 2 (with weather), Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break this year (although I wouldn't be surprised to see QB delayed into 2015) Crackdown 3, new game from Platinum (please let it be Phantom Dust 2) and whatever Rare might be cooking up....

He said nothing about it.

rdrr gnr

'yeah they'll start with new IPs but it'll end up like last gen, just halo, gears, forza and fable'

For MS. Third-parties and Sony seems to be doing okay. MS always had a fleeting commitment to games.

Finalizer

Well then...

I think the OP of that thread was pretty comprehensive, so no.

If something was gonna get pushed back to 2015, I'd more expect it to be Sunset Overdrive. Has anything for that game been shown since the E3 trailer?

But it hasn't ended up that way yet. These leaks point to MS' biggest Fall titles being Sunset Overdrive and Quantum Break.

jem0208

Yeah, totally. Except for maybe Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Platinum Games' new IP etc. etc.

C'mon now. They have plenty of new IPs.

Madness

"To clarify I was wrong about controlled leaks. MS wants this guy and wants to press charges. He gave away serious trade secrets." - Mortimer

Damn, seems like it's all legit and MS has lawyered up to go after our mystery leaker.

Bgamer90

Banned

Are people just choosing to ignore games like Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, and Quantum Break at this point?

I mean this is just as silly as saying "Sony why no new IP?" after their Uncharted announcement.

stktt

Banned
That was my point. Its not bad to rely on already established IPs. But to completly focus on it is something that might be a bit too much as new IPs have more potential to bring new people to the console and reach a wider audience.

Isn't that what's happening with Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Project Spark, D4 (not sure on the exclusivity of that one), Sunset Overdrive, and Quantum Break? It seems like a good mixture of established franchises and new properties, and Microsoft releasing a Sunset Overdrive themed bundle makes it seem like something they're confident will sell well or bring more attention to the platform.

If something was gonna get pushed back to 2015, I'd more expect it to be Sunset Overdrive. Has anything for that game been seen since the E3 trailer?

was hoping that maybe something was posted after the thread was locked.

As someone who has been following SO closely, they hasn't been much of anything. Could be they are simply waiting to reveal it at E3?

Montresor

Are people just choosing to ignore games like Project Spark, Sunset Overdrive, and Quantum Break at this point?

I mean this is just as silly as saying "Sony why no new IP?" after their Uncharted announcement.

Losing the Black Tusk IP is making everyone forget about MS's other new IPs.

nib95

Banned
Yeah, totally. Except for maybe Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Platinum Games' new IP etc. etc.

C'mon now. They have plenty of new IPs.

Not from First party though. But I suppose that's being a bit anal. There are enough there imo. Nothing blockbuster from any of their first party, but then Microsoft don't really roll like that. They seem to let the third parties take the risk and tread the waters, and then lock on to them as first party franchises later down the line if they're successful.

On a side note, out of the above listed games, how many does Microsoft own the IP's to?

rdrr gnr

Except we have a longterm picture of MS that is unflattering. QB and SO look fantastic -- genuinely -- but this cycle of Forza, Gears, Halo is tiresome and we are guaranteed another 7 years of it. We got KZ and we're soon to have inFAMOUS and UC, but what then? SSM, GG, MM, R@D are doing something all new.

Papercuts

If something was gonna get pushed back to 2015, I'd more expect it to be Sunset Overdrive. Has anything for that game been shown since the E3 trailer?

The whole thing is pretty surprising to me. Halo 2015, Sunset & QD 2014 is actually the opposite of how I thought this was going to go.

Jack cw

Isn't that what's happening with Ryse, Crimson Dragon, Project Spark, D4 (not sure on the exclusivity of that one), Sunset Overdrive, and Quantum Break? It seems like a good mixture of established franchises and new properties, and Microsoft releasing a Sunset Overdrive themed bundle makes it seem like something they're confident will sell well or bring more attention to the platform.
I hope so, but with the latest leaks I doubt that Microsoft are really into new big IPs. Two of the IPs you mentioned were launch titles, its ok do it here but in the long run I dont see anything equal to Gears, Halo or Fable.

Not from First party though. But I suppose that's being a bit anal. There are enough there imo. Nothing blockbuster from any of their first party, but then Microsoft don't really roll like that. They seem to let the third parties take the risk and tread the waters, and then lock on to them as first party franchises later down the line if they're successful.

On a side note, out of the above listed games, how many does Microsoft own the IP's to?

Not from first party? They all are MS published games.

cilonen

Sounds like the Xbox One is going to be a serious Halo, Gears and Forza churning machine lol. With the odd bit of Fable thrown in.

The Black Tusk new IP was the best first party entry in the mix, shame they put that to rest.

If this is true, heck even with QB and Sunset in the mix, what is the Kinect doing in the box still? It becomes even more of a millstone round the Xbone's neck.

Bgamer90

Banned
Except we have a longterm picture of MS that is unflattering. QB and SO look fantastic -- genuinely -- but this cycle of Forza, Gears, Halo is tiresome and we are guaranteed another 7 years of it. We got KZ and we're soon to have inFAMOUS and UC, but what then? SSM, GG, MM, R@D are doing something all new.

If anything the minimum will be Halo/Forza/Gears/Fable alongside sequels to new IPs introduced this gen that get good reception.

Also, in terms of late last gen, there were a decent number new IPs on Xbox 360 -- it's just that many of them were for kinect.

jem0208

Their first party does seem very focused on established franchises. However I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing. They tend to do exactly as you say and lock them down if they turn out well.

I know that they own QB. I think they own SO aswell but I can't remember. The others I don't know.

nib95

Banned
Not from first party? They all are MS published games.

Not developed though. I think a lot of people pictured Black Tusk being Microsoft's big new first party studio to usher in their version of Gears, Halo type blockbusters. Akin to Sony's first party studios like ND and SSM. It's just a bit of a shame their two biggest new first party studios (343i and Black Tusk) are now set to task on older franchises.

P.S, are they all Microsoft owned IP's then? Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Crimson Dragon? I know TitanFall isn't, but then that's published by EA.

If this is true, heck even with QB and Sunset in the mix, what is the Kinect doing in the box still? It becomes even more of a millstone round the Xbone's neck.

That's also true. But I honestly think (hope?) Kinect will be ditched at some point in the near future.

stktt

Banned
I hope so, but with the lates leaks I doubt that Microsoft are really into new big IP. Two of the IPs you mentioned were launch titles, its ok do dit here but in the long run I dont see anything equal to Gears, Halo or Fable.

Of course. If there isn't anything major planned for 2015 other than Fable, Forza, and Halo, I'll be disappointed. However, that leak doesn't appear to be comprehensive, and this first year has turned out surprisingly well for Xbox when it comes to new franchises. Ryse seems like something Crytek is interested in expanding on, and I would love to see Sunset Overdrive turn out well after Insomniac's recent streak of middling games and become a success.

Quantum Break looks great, but I'm hoping it somehow leads to Alan Wake 2, which is probably hypocritical when I'm also clamoring for new IPs.

I think they own the IP for all of them. Pretty sure they also own the D4 IP too or are funding its development.

Chobel

Their first party does seem very focused on established franchises. However I don't see that as a necessarily bad thing. They tend to do exactly as you say and lock them down if they turn out well.

I know that they own QB. I think they own SO aswell but I can't remember. The others I don't know.

SO is owned by Insomniac.

Ryse IP is owned by MS or Crytek?

Finalizer

As someone who has been following SO closely, they hasn't been much of anything. Could be they are simply waiting to reveal it at E3?

If the lack of info isn't due to some potentially delay-inducing development issues, then I'd assume they're just being tight-lipped about it to generate more hype down the road, like at E3 as you said. At the very least though, I'd expect it to come out after Quantum Break. Though I think that goes opposite to what ntkrnl said, so what the hell do I know; I'd just be a bit surprised if there was such a short interval between information blowout -> launch.

Ushiwaka

The Platinum info sounds fishy IMO. He seemed to not know about the Platinum exclusive, we kept bugging him about it, he didn't tell us anything and suddenly he know everything about it? Kinda sounds made up to me. I mean, Kamiya was born in Nagano, isn't naming the project "Project Nagano" WAY out there? I don't know, I'm skeptical on this one.

I'm not saying the game doesn't exist, I'm just saying his info on the game sounds fishy IMO.

Platinum Games' new IP

Did he ever say that its a new IP?

amardilo

Huh, ntkrnl's information paints MS' Fall release exclusives as Forza Horizon 2, Halo 2 Anniversary, Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive. Nothing he said points to a delay of those titles.

Oh right, looks like I missed the Quantum Break, and Sunset Overdrive stuff (thought as no new news and no major details meant the games were still in early development). Thanks for clearing that up for me.

The fall line up sounds OK now (in terms of quantity).

Bgamer90

Banned
They might as well not exist.

Heh. Dance Central is fun though it's not my kind of game to be honest. I really enjoyed Gunstringer and Child of Eden though (both of which were new IPs).

And now that I think about it, there's that new Fantasia Kinect game coming soon too.

Papercuts

The Platinum info sounds fishy IMO. He seemed to not know about the Platinum exclusive, we kept bugging him about it, he didn't tell us anything and suddenly he know everything about it? Kinda sounds made up to me. I mean, Kamiya was born in Nagano, isn't naming the project "Project Nagano" WAY out there? I don't know, I'm skeptical on this one.

I'm not saying the game doesn't exist, I'm just saying his info on the game sounds fishy IMO.

Did he ever say that its a new IP?

That's just a codename, not what the final game would be called. Similar to Shangheist or whatever, I guess.

Cboat already mentioned it too so it seems to be real, just far away.

Top Bottom