• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics that don't make you laugh but are still cool

InexperiencedQuestionableAegeancat.gif

Übermatik;130939052 said:
[Amazing Escalator GIFs]

Inspired, I took some of these and made looping YTMNDs with some moody tracks. Have a look! And throw me a five-star if you're on YTMND ;)

Lost Dreams Part 28 of 39 (ASC)
Lost Dreams Part 29 of 39 (CHOICE)
Lost Dreams Part 30 of 39 (DESC)
Lost Dreams Part 31 of 39 (CHOICE)
Lost Dreams Part 32 of 39 (CHOICE)
Lost Dreams Part 33 of 39 (CHOICE)

If you guys like these, let me know. I've got five more looping tracks in the queue.

A3exU88.jpg

That's wild.
It is probably one of my favorite gifs. It really puts into perspective just how large the Milky Way galaxy is; the effect of seeing it remain stationary while the Earth's motion is apparent is pretty trippy.
It's really sad to think that because of light pollution, most modern people have never seen a view like this. I suspect this is one of the reasons we care less about space exploration.

Melchiah

GaKpq5d.jpg

Mindsuckers by American photographer Anand Varma: The photographer's prize-winning collection of images included this one of a fungi-infected ant. When infected, the dying ant clings to a leaf or another flat surface.

Übermatik;150031151 said:
Are pics like these taken with time-lapse or special camera or something? I guess I've never been anywhere where there wasn't so much light pollution or cloud cover that I could see so many stars. It must be amazing.

Are pics like these taken with time-lapse or special camera or something? I guess I've never been anywhere where there wasn't so much light pollution or cloud cover that I could see so many stars. It must be amazing.

Generally, you leave the camera shutter open longer (but not too long to avoid star trails) and take the image at high sensitivity (ISO) settings (=more noise though). I think basically all mid range and higher end cameras allow this.
You still should to be at a place with low light pollution though or at least avoid any other direct light sources. You also need a tripod.
Oh and best results you will get by stacking multiple images on top of each other via software (basically this will enhance all the stars and allows less noise).

In addition, to get a not too bright foreground in like here, people usually take two shots at different exposures and put them together in Photoshop. Isn't the case here I think (but it was much, much darker than the image suggests).

The further away you are from the city, the more stars you can see. From what I know, the milky way (that band of stars) is usually more like a very faint smudge to the bare eye unless you have good conditions.

Speaking of space, no pic but here's a beautiful video from our sun (eruptions etc):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVv40M2aks
(NASA's SDO mission)

Praise the sun! :D

Phoenix4

The photo is definitely taken with a slow shutter speed but i remember being able to see this kind of night sky when i was up on the volcano on Big Island, Hawaii. City light polution is usually the biggest reason you can't see this with the naked eye.

dejay

Banned
Same here. It's a pain in the ass to try to view this page.

"Chrome warning" is going to become the new "56k warning".

Personally I wouldn't attempt to use dial up or Chrome for this thread, although a very large gifs might be considered a little obnoxious.

Melchiah

Übermatik;151940270 said:
MWUHAHAHAH. S'cool though right? Also sorry...

Thanks for editing it.

4TCJdXU.png

EDIT: My mistake. They're still there.

Nd8e4El.jpg

"Chrome warning" is going to become the new "56k warning".

Personally I wouldn't attempt to use dial up or Chrome for this thread, although a very large gifs might be considered a little obnoxious.

It was ok for a while when I moved to Chrome Canary, but multiple and larger gifs still bend it to its knees.

Top Bottom