• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pieces of Virtual Console 2006 Titles Revealed!

yudaan said:
I would sure as hell call, if Nintendo ever does, bringing over formerly JPN only games, like you know Fire Emblem S/NES games or Mother 1 as 'effort'.
I am going to go out on a limb and say the odds of this happening is very slim to zero, but you never know I guess. We'll be lucky if we can download stuff from other regions.

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
I'd say pricepoint and the actual content itself is far closer to XBLA than Xbox playback as well. There might not be achievements or new visuals or online play (or there might actually, we don't know), but the VC and XBLA are basically identical concepts.

"There might not be anything new like in an XBLA release, but hey we should treat them like they are getting that sort of thing!"

It's different, there's a different level of effort there. If you want to feel they're the same, that's up to you: I certainly am not going to award mental acheivements for dumping ROMS slowly.

Now with the "new content" Nintendo is supposedly creating for this service, THAT aspect might be equivalent when we see what shape it takes.

jarrod

Banned
Netrunner2k2 said:
Reggie said 30 VC games before the end of the year and 10 per month starting January 2007 at the New York event.
I understood that as being from Nintendo platforms alone? It's been mentioned we're getting 30 Genesis/TG16 titles by year's end as well I thought?

Netrunner2k2 said:
Reggie said 30 VC games before the end of the year and 10 per month starting January 2007 at the New York event.

Source? I'm looking at the GameSpot blog right now and it says 30 Wii games by the end of the year and later mentions 10 VC games per month but does not mention how many VC games will be available by the end of the year.

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
"There might not be anything new like in an XBLA release, but hey we should treat them like they are getting that sort of thing!"

It's different, there's a different level of effort there. If you want to feel they're the same, that's up to you: I certainly am not going to award mental acheivements for dumping ROMS slowly.

Now with the "new content" Nintendo is supposedly creating for this service, THAT aspect might be equivalent when we see what shape it takes.
I'm not talking equivalence, I'm talking the closest possible comparable. Do you still that'd be Xbox 1 playback?

Amir0x

Banned
jarrod said:
I'm not talking equivalence, I'm talking the closest possible comparable. Do you still that'd be Xbox 1 playback?

Yup. The purpose of VC is access to Nintendo's (or other consoles) vast back catalog. The purpose of XBLA is new content or old content updated for the HD-era in various ways.

jarrod said:
I understood that as being from Nintendo platforms alone? It's been mentioned we're getting 30 Genesis/TG16 titles by year's end as well I thought?

IGN wasn't clear what Reggie meant. I'll download the conference video and see if there was a slide behind him when he said that. It may make what he said more clear.

EphemeralDream said:
Source? I'm looking at the GameSpot blog right now and it says 30 Wii games by the end of the year and later mentions 10 VC games per month but does not mention how many Wii games will be available by the end of the year.

Sure.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732707p1.html

"9:45 EST: 30 Virtual Console games by the end of the year. Beginning in January, Nintendo will deliver 10 more VC games per month."

Christopher said:
It's not like these titles aren't readily avaliable on any last gen platform, no thanks Nintendo.

Digital Distribution != Compilations. They appeal to gamers in different ways and I think digitally distributed games might have more lasting appeal since they're always right there, whereas I barely picked up MMAC after it came out.

Tony HoTT

Banned
10 per months is ****ing lame. This shit should just be there for impulse buying and that's it. If I want to play contra then let me buy ****ing contra now!

If they want to spur interest in the service then have like 10 "featured" games a month with a little historical write up or other background information to sell people on the games. I know roms and shit are illegal but it's sure as hell a lot easier than this crappy feature. I mean make it easy for us Nintendo!!!

Look at iTunes for ****'s sake you morons!

Amir0x said:
From the recent Nintendo Conference in Japan:

Click

- Around 60 Virtual Console games before the end of 2006, including PCE and MD.

I think that applies only to Japan, though.

It probably does mean Japan only. One would think it would be the other way around with NA getting Wii before Japan. Not a big deal to me, since I'll be playing Zelda and such into 2007, but it would be nice to get a larger variety of games when I do purchase some VC games.

Nutter

Christopher said:
It's not like these titles aren't readily avaliable on any last gen platform, no thanks Nintendo.
Is Nintendo forcing you to buy any of these? I mean whats with these lame ass replies by some of you guys.
For everyone who has played these on their "last gen" consoles, there are many more who didnt.

edit: didnt mean to single out Chris, just used his reply to quote. :p

Amir0x said:
Hm, so I guess the difference between breakdown in Japan and US releases is pretty major, then. Japan gets a whole 30 more releases before the end of 2006!

Just be grateful you're not in Europe, we get a whopping 15 at launch!!

I need Donkey Kong Country on VC or my wife might leave me....she talked about it for an hour Saturday afternoon (and she ****ing hates videogames).

jarrod

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yup. The purpose of VC is access to Nintendo's (or other consoles) vast back catalog. The purpose of XBLA is new content or old content updated for the HD-era in various ways.
Well, lets take a looksie here...

Xbox Live Arcade
-fee based download service (roughly $5-10)
-uses only stored ROM (under 64MB)
-new and old games

Virtual Console
-fee based download service (roughly $5-10)
-uses only stored ROM (under 32MB)
-new and old games

Xbox 1 playback
-free automatic updates
-requires physical SKU (purchased seperately)
-new and old games

...the actual purpose of the Virtual Console is basically a new network for content delivery though (same as iTunes, Sony Connect or XBLA)... just because Nintendo's using ancient ROMs out of their back catalogue to kick things off deosn't mean that's all there is to the platform.

Drensch

Do you and drohne work in shifts? You've made it abundantly clear you don't like Nintendo/Wii, yet you post in every thread that either is mentioned in.

Deku

Banned
You'd be crazy to think there won't be console specific new content on VC or revised content and they will be developed with a platform specificaiton in mind.

The what if scenarios or an update or sequel to some games running on an older console (another Metroid that sounds and looks like its on the SFC) boggles the mind. I certainly don't want new VC content looking like flash games.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Link648099 said:
Metroid (Virtual Console)
Legend of Zelda (Virtual Console), The
Super Mario 64 (Virtual Console)
Super Mario Bros. (Virtual Console)
Super Mario World (Virtual Console)

Mine!

ethelred

Drensch said:
Do you and drohne work in shifts? You've made it abundantly clear you don't like Nintendo/Wii, yet you post in every thread that either is mentioned in.

Someone doesn't have to be drohne to agree with that sentiment.

If Nintendo's VC launch is primarily a bunch of games that have already been packaged and repackaged and released ad nausseum, then that will be pathetically disappointing.

They need to cut the price in half for these games if they aren't going to add new features like XBLA does. I don't have a problem with the service being a ROM dump if priced accordingly.

madmook

I won't be getting a Wii until Double Dragon 2 (NES) is available on VC.

Also, all VC games will be rendered at 480p right?

Pimpbaa

You know, if back in the day you said that in the future that nintendo's, sega's and NEC's mascot games would be playable all on one new nintendo system, people would have called you retarded.

If they release only 10 games a month... well... it's going to take forever to get a lot of games. That sucks. >_> Seriously, probably over a thousand games could be released... it would take like 8-9 years to release a thousand if they release 10 a month. >_>

KINGMOKU

Christopher said:
Hence the term back catalog.

Or did I miss something,and you expected 30 brand new games on the virtual console on launch day?

methodman

Banned
I hope they release Sonic 3, never got to play that.

Why do you guys hate on this service and compare it to XBLA, without thinking about this: The best game for XBLA in the first 6 months (and only one I bought until street fighter 2 came out) was freaking Geometry Wars. And that was out for the Xbox. The other games were just games you could find on a computer in HD and multiplayer mode, not that great.

If you could find practically every single Xbox 360 XBLA game on the computer, but play them in HD on a 360, it must be a great deal. Not saying that Nintendo hasn't rehashed every single one of these titles continuously, but still...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Nintendo is obviously taking notes from MS. Dont release the games in large waves, release them in smaller bits so that each game gets more exposure. XBLA games are selling MUCH better due to the 1 a week policy.

RaidenZR

They need more Turbo love. R-Type was in the Japanese presentation for pete's sake!

I hope we get some more games that haven't been popped into a lot of the more recent compiliation packs before Christmas. That would make my day.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that's an amazingly boring lineup. nintendo have also shown gunstar heroes, so maybe they won't always stick with the games that show up on every "classics" comp -- or maybe gunstar is just for japan :lol

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Mehhhhh at list. Maybe Ecco, and that's about it. I don't need Metroid or Mario for the billionth time.

mj1108

Why do I get the feeling that no matter what the lineup is there are some people in this thread that would complain just because they want to get their shots in?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
mj1108 said:
Why do I get the feeling that no matter what the lineup is there are some people in this thread that would complain just because they want to get their shots in?

you won't be able to test that theory until the vc lineup stops being lame -- so at this pace, get back to me in 2010

Rlan

Verano said:
What's ristar by the way?

The game you have to buy first for the Virtual Console.

Seriously, I only found the game via Emulation [bought the real game afterwards]. It's one of the best platformers from the SNES /GEN series, with fantastic graphics and very catchy music. You're esssentially a star with arms and legs with stretchy arms. You use your arms to grab enemies and crack your skull onto them.

Rlan said:

Seriously, I only found the game via Emulation [bought the real game afterwards]. It's one of the best platformers from the SNES /GEN series, with fantastic graphics and very catchy music. You're esssentially a star with arms and legs with stretchy arms. You use your arms to grab enemies and crack your skull onto them.

I shall now buy

jarrod

Banned
Rlan said:

Agreed. It was made by mainly Sonic Team staff and is probably the best 2D platformer to ever come out of SEGA. Amazing game, 3rd only to Yoshi's Island and Dynamite Heady for 16bit platformers imo.

jarrod

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Needs more Neutopia, Fire Emblem and Brandish.
Throw in some Crystalis, Gargoyle's Quest, Govellius, LandStalker, Ogre, Monster World and Quintet games and I'm there.

Top Bottom