• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pieces of Virtual Console 2006 Titles Revealed!

loosus

Banned
Did anyone save a game when they played the emulation at E3 or other venues?

On the Ocarina of Time disc for GameCube, when you went to save your progress, the emulator would actually pause, go to a black screen with white print that stated something along the lines of "Saving, please wait...", take a few seconds to save the game (much longer than it took the Nintendo 64 version), and the finally return you to the game once it had finished saving.

Do any of the emulators do that now or is that fixed? If I were to pay out even one cent for these ROMs, I'd want them to basically work perfectly.

jarrod said:
Throw in some Crystalis, Gargoyle's Quest, Govellius, LandStalker, Ogre, Monster World and Quintet games and I'm there.
I'd love to see this stuff too, but honestly when is the earliest you expect to see any of these games on VC, if at all. I'd be surprised if it was pre-2008 (although the best bet may be one of the Quintet games, since Nintendo did publish Illusion of Gaia in the US.)

jarrod

Banned
loosus said:
Did anyone save a game when they played the emulation at E3 or other venues?

On the Ocarina of Time disc for GameCube, when you went to save your progress, the emulator would actually pause, go to a black screen with white print that stated something along the lines of "Saving, please wait...", take a few seconds to save the game (much longer than it took the Nintendo 64 version), and the finally return you to the game once it had finished saving.

Do any of the emulators do that now or is that fixed? If I were to pay out even one cent for these ROMs, I'd want them to basically work perfectly.
Hopefully the emus aren't coded by NST then. :p

RD1's NES emus used on the GBA Classic NES Series saved instantly. I don't see why it'd be any different on Wii, considering everything done within the flash, rather than read from disc.

jarrod

Banned
GitarooMan said:
I'd love to see this stuff too, but honestly when is the earliest you expect to see any of these games on VC, if at all. I'd be surprised if it was pre-2008 (although the best bet may be one of the Quintet games, since Nintendo did publish Illusion of Gaia in the US.)
Really, I expect things to probably play out more along the lines of the platform lifecycles. Actraiser this year wopuld be a nice start.

MoxManiac

Nutter said:
Is Nintendo forcing you to buy any of these? I mean whats with these lame ass replies by some of you guys.
For everyone who has played these on their "last gen" consoles, there are many more who didnt.

edit: didnt mean to single out Chris, just used his reply to quote. :p

The point is we want games that -aren't- easily available.

We will likely get games that are 'less accessible' eventually, but Nintendo and third parties are going to want to offer some of their most popular stuff out of the gate? Why? To grab not only hardcore gamers, but the 'non-gamers' as well, or those that remember these old titles but haven't played them in a while (read: Nostalgia)

For those of you complaining - it's your right to do so, but did you really expect to see 'foreign' vc titles out of the gate? Games the mass majority have never heard of because they never saw release in NA, etc...? Highly unlikely scenario. Not for launch that's for sure.

Hopefully Nintendo will have some sort of voting or polling mechanism in place to gauge interest in the lesser known, yet still great back catalogue of games that COULD be made available for vc.

I know that I'll probably end up buying almost all of the games confirmed for vc launch, save for a few, and it'll probably be that way with each wave they release. I'm excited about the possiblity of having a 'juke box' console with Wii, so purchasing some of these games (for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time) isn't that big of deal to me. I still think the pricing scheme is a bit off though - I would have like to see each tier about $2 - $3 dollars less than they are.

Oh well. No one will read this long rant.

If it's on a Nintendo console, I'll probably have to look it up to see what it's like.

Genesis... I'll buy Sonic games... what else?

TurboGrafX16 has good shmups, if I recall...

AntMurda

I'm not excited about playing any of those games. How about some of the more underground or unreleased games mixed in the obvious favorites. How can I get excited about play Super Mario Bros on the Wii when Nintendo's released it 5 billion times over the last 4 months.

Why hasn't Nintendo confirmed Arcade games. Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Punch-Out !

Duderz said:
Well, it's a start.

We've gotten these games dozens of times over, though...I would've rather seen other launch games for previous systems.
It would have been pretty cool if the only games available on VC right away were the launch games for each individual system.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
evilromero said:
Where are the N64 games? Mario 64 isn't enough!
i'm pretty happy with SM64 for starters. I never did buy that game, and it'll be a good warm up to SMG.

Hopefully Nintendo does something about getting the more obscure N64 titles that weren't released outside of Japan like Sin & Punishment.

I'd really like to buy Star Fox 64 too. Another N64 classic i missed. And paper mario... oh, master quest is another I hope they put up. That's probably all I'd get for N64 virtual console stuff.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
my initial reaction was that the list is lacklustre.

but then i admitted to myself that yes, i will purchase super mario world for the 10 billionth time and play through it. again and again. and again and again.

i think having the titles trickle out rather than releasing them all will increase the chance of something you hadn't really thought of, popping up one week and prompting a purchase. should be interesting to see how it pans out..

i also finally let go of my vain hope that an online tetris attack would be coming out. :( nintendo don't stirke me as the kind of company to put in that extra effort to update their old games :p

It's such a bummer that Mario 64 isn't enhanced with the DS content (yes, I know that this would require work), as it makes it a cooler game.

It's also sad that we won't see Blast Corps and the Banjo games.

Hopefully we see the Treasure titles at some point.

Even though we won't see Mario All-Stars, it would be great if the individual releases of Mario 1-3 included the SNES-enhanced versions.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Dragona Akehi said:
All VC games are 480p. Including 2D titles.

me want screenshot of metroid on wii now :(

(would it look slightly difficult than the origininal with 480p? Or just blurrier? Photoshop me a 480p-Metroid anyone)

AntMurda

Virtual Console

Famicom
Earthbound Zero
Excitebike VS
Famicom Rally 1: F-1
Famicom Rally 2: 3D Hot Rally

Super NES
Marvelous (by Eiji Aonuma !!!)
Terranigma
Mr. Suck & Blow
Fire Emblem 3
Fire Emblem 4
Fire Emblem 5

Super NES BS-X
Famicom Detective Club 2 (98)
Famicom Detective Club 3
Super Mario Excitebike
The Legend of Zelda
F-Zero 2

Nintendo 64
Sin & Punishment: Successors To The Earth

Compact Game

GameBoy Advance
Mother 3
Rhythm Tengoku

GameCube
Nintendo Puzzle Collection

Did i miss anything???

Lapsed

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
You know, if back in the day you said that in the future that nintendo's, sega's and NEC's mascot games would be playable all on one new nintendo system, people would have called you retarded.

QFT. We will see something similiar to this twenty years from now (i.e. playing Halo on a Nintendo console or something).

I want more co-op games for Virtual Console, not the single player games like Zelda and Mario.

I want...

-Life Force
-Bubble Bobble
-Gunstar Heroes (happily, this is confirmed)
-Contra
-Contra III
-Uniracers
-Super Mario Kart
-Mario Kart 64
-Star Control (Genesis)
-Star Control 2 (3DO?)

And all the rest I can't think of now. A shame Electronic Arts isn't participating because I want some Archon and M.U.L.E. love.

deamentia

Hudson Hawk
RaidenZR said:
They need more Turbo love. R-Type was in the Japanese presentation for pete's sake!

I hope we get some more games that haven't been popped into a lot of the more recent compiliation packs before Christmas. That would make my day.

Don't worry. We've got you guys in North America covered.

How cool would it be if the version of Mario 64 released had all of the stuff from the DS port. Would be nice to enjoy that with a proper analog stick.

Karg

How about some River City Ransom or Super Dodge Ball love? Wonder how long it'd take to get those over to VC....

Considering Nintendo's push to get the casual market, they'll probably want to start with the most recognizable titles anyway. Yeah, the list is a little lacking, but they'll get here when they get here.

I hope

AntMurda said:
Virtual Console

Famicom
Earthbound Zero
Excitebike VS
Famicom Rally 1: F-1
Famicom Rally 2: 3D Hot Rally

Super NES
Marvelous (by Eiji Aonuma !!!)
Terranigma
Mr. Suck & Blow
Fire Emblem 3
Fire Emblem 4
Fire Emblem 5

Super NES BS-X
Famicom Detective Club 2 (98)
Famicom Detective Club 3
Super Mario Excitebike
The Legend of Zelda
F-Zero 2

Nintendo 64
Sin & Punishment: Successors To The Earth

Compact Game

GameBoy Advance
Mother 3
Rhythm Tengoku

GameCube
Nintendo Puzzle Collection

Did i miss anything???

That's a killer start. I would add the Mario Picross games, Devil World, and Wrecking Crew '98. I'm also hoping they allow foreign versions of games that differed notably from the originals such as Contra (Gryzor), Castlevania 1 (the '93 cart rerelease with the easy mode), Castlevania 3 (Akumajou Densetsu), Cybernator (Assault Suits Valken) and Bionic Commando (Hitler no Fukkatsu, though that would probably require an M rating).

Az987

all good things
As someone who doesnt own anything from 16 bit era and hardly anything from 32 bit Virtual Console is my top reason to buy a Wii.

jetpacks was yes said:
How cool would it be if the version of Mario 64 released had all of the stuff from the DS port. Would be nice to enjoy that with a proper analog stick.

Oh for crying... the first twenty times this was brought up, it was shot down. SM64 DS is a port. This will be an emulation of the ROM. They don't have an "include new stuff" button on the dev kits.

Much of SM64DS's new content was probably designed with the DS in mind, including texture sizes, sound quality, and such. Even if they have the original masters, they're not going to look as good on your TV as they will on a smaller portable screen. And if they're going to go to the effort of reporting what they made with SM64DS to the Wii, it'll be a higher priced "Special Edition" that people will complain about. And why cut into potential sales of the DS version, anyway?

Interesting, though, never heard of a Famicom Excitebike VS. I knew of the SNES BS-X one with Mario characters, but what's different about Excitebike VS?

I wonder how loose-and-fast they'll play with some of these games. A few could garner M ratings now, potentially. Will it be tied in to the Virtual Console's parental controls, or will games like, say, Mortal Kombat II (SNES) just not be available for download? Will they go back and clean up some earlier games, changing a couple sprites here and there and some dialogue to remove any questionability? Or will they go in the opposite direction, and offer a few games restored/retranslated? (Not bloody likely.)

Kulock said:
I wonder how loose-and-fast they'll play with some of these games. A few could garner M ratings now, potentially. Will it be tied in to the Virtual Console's parental controls, or will games like, say, Mortal Kombat II (SNES) just not be available for download? Will they go back and clean up some earlier games, changing a couple sprites here and there and some dialogue to remove any questionability? Or will they go in the opposite direction, and offer a few games restored/retranslated? (Not bloody likely.)
Why wouldn't they just release games rated M by the ESRB for download like XBLA does (like Doom). I'd guess there would be some parental controls, but I hope they would still offer them.

Duderz

Banned
AndoCalrissian said:
It would have been pretty cool if the only games available on VC right away were the launch games for each individual system.

That's sort of what I was hoping for. Release the VC games in the order that they were released for their systems.

If Nintendo don't localize at least Chrono Trigger, Earthbound or Final Fantasy VI for us European ****ers, I swear something really, really bad will happen right there . Goddamnit :( .
And I want Star Ocean too. And Seiken Densetsu 3. Yeah.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Stormbringer said:
If Nintendo don't localize at least Chrono Trigger, Earthbound or Final Fantasy VI for us European ****ers, I swear something really, really bad will happen right there . Goddamnit :( .
And I want Star Ocean too. And Seiken Densetsu 3. Yeah.

And remind us all again as to why they're responsible for localizing games they didn't make?

Amir0x

Banned
Seems it's mostly Squeenix that better get on that :lol

but I'm sure they will, anyway...wasn't it said recently that they are supporting VC?

xsarien said:
And remind us all again as to why they're responsible for localizing games they didn't make?

I perfectly know that Square-Enix will probably never, ever want to localize CT, SD3, and SO. So on principle, because they are responsible for the region-locking of the Virtual Console games, Nintendo should take care of the localization of some of the best games of the system, at least for us European who missed so much gems back then. Yeah, in a perfect world :( .

Branduil

SE releasing the FFs and CT for the VC would make sense. They certainly have shown no reticence to release them on other platforms.

Top Bottom