• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pieces of Virtual Console 2006 Titles Revealed!

Kulock said:
Interesting, though, never heard of a Famicom Excitebike VS. I knew of the SNES BS-X one with Mario characters, but what's different about Excitebike VS?

Here's the story. The original home version of Excitebike only had 5 tracks, as opposed to 6+ in the arcade version, which also featured something of a pro mode, and featured scoring points as well. vs. Excitebike, named after the arcade version, was a more faithful recreation released in 1988 for the Famicom Disk System.

Scoot said:
Wow a chance to rebuy a bunch of games I've bought already.

Excitement +10.

Finally I get the chance to repay what I have enjoyed in obscure ways as a young and bad person. Looking forward to BUY these titles.

jarrod said:
Throw in some Crystalis, Gargoyle's Quest, Govellius, LandStalker, Ogre, Monster World and Quintet games and I'm there.

Gargoyle's Quest FTW!

Scoot said:
Wow a chance to rebuy a bunch of games I've bought already.

Excitement +10.

Wow a chance to also not buy the games you've already bought, you buy them at your own choice. Unless someone has a gun to your head??

Can't wait to play some of these again, as i haven't played them in many a year

Grecco

I actually hope i get to play some Castlevania titles i never got the opportunity to play like the one on the Genesis. Its worth it to me.

ethelred

Nash said:
I'd like to see Landstalker on it actually.

Did the PSP remake get canned?

Landstalker would be a fantastic inclusion. God, there are so many truly fantastic games that could be on the Virtual Console -- across the SNES, the Genesis, the TG15, and to a much lesser extent, the N64.

THAT'S why I get disappointed when I see a list that says "Mario, Mario, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Mario, Zelda, Mario, Bonk, Sonic, Sonic, Ecco, Sonic, Mario."

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I really hope they don't pull this trickle nonsense. There's absolutely no reason why the entire backlog of Nintendo developed games shouldn't be made available within the first two years. They can leave third party releases to fill in gaps for the rest of the system's life if need be.

unifin

Christ, people - PIECES of VC 2006. PIECES. As in not the entire thing.

How well does the Classic Controller work with these games, GAF?

ethelred

unifin said:

Until Nintendo releases the full list of games (only five weeks left to go -- how long should we patiently and quietly sit in a corner waiting?) it's entirely fair to comment upon the snippets of information that are released.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
unifin said:

How well does the Classic Controller work with these games, GAF?
You don't seem to have a firm grasp of how Nintendo likes to work. I can easily foresee them extending the VC's release list as long as possible just to make it appear like they're consistently updating the database. I don't like the idea of having to wait years just to play an obscure game that has worked with their internal emulator since day one. To answer your question; the classic controller worked well as a homogeneous do it all device.

unifin

ethelred said:
Until Nintendo releases the full list of games (only five weeks left to go -- how long should we patiently and quietly sit in a corner waiting?) it's entirely fair to comment upon the snippets of information that are released.

Of course, but it seems ridiculous to make sweeping generalizations about the Virtual Console based on a partial list of games that, AFAIK, were confirmed in separate reports some time ago.

The problem is that people read the list, don't see their favorite potential VC game on there, and immediately begin complaining about the "lame lineup," despite the fact that only two of the dozen-plus developers on the VC have games currently on this list.

Yes, it would be quite disappointing if this is all we get for 2006, but it's neither "confirmed" nor GAF-overreaction worthy.

Coen

It's a disappointing list, as expected.
As much as I appreciate Nintendo's singature series, I was hoping Nintendo would've given the early adaptors (usually gamer veterans who've played these games anyway) something unique and interesting. Fan favorites like the Mother series, Sin & Punishment or Star Fox 2 would've been instant buys for me and many "older" gamers.

cvxfreak

10 per month has to be extremely conservative considering the third parties and non-Nintendo platforms. I expect it to grow as the months go by, because in 2009 when the Wii is in half life, most games should already be brought over.

jarrod

Banned
The new EGM mentioned "at least 30 games for launch" and around 10 games per month following that... so it's going to be 40+ games by year's end?

And as a sidenote, why aren't Blast Corps or Killer Instinct on XBLA yet? You'd think RARE would be all over it?

Nintendo wouldn't want to risk their whole backlog being available if the DRM is hacked. Might be a reason to release slowly atleast in the beginning.

Regarding the "credits" vs real currency - Credits are easier to use legally in Marketing campaigns (ie buy this Wii sequel and get x amount of credits towards the N64 version)

ethelred said:
Landstalker would be a fantastic inclusion. God, there are so many truly fantastic games that could be on the Virtual Console -- across the SNES, the Genesis, the TG15, and to a much lesser extent, the N64.

THAT'S why I get disappointed when I see a list that says "Mario, Mario, Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Mario, Zelda, Mario, Bonk, Sonic, Sonic, Ecco, Sonic, Mario."

I dunno about you, but I'm still surprised we're getting Bonk.

AntMurda

Another interesting thing will be compact games. Don't be surprised if we get

Pitlowings Wii and Wave Race Wii on it. Roll-O-Rama coul resurface too.

Huh. The list itself seems pretty much expected.

Of course, if you're a 'hardcore' niche it's going to be dispppointing to you, but considering the only game I've played out of that list is SMB, the Virtual Console is going to get a lot of playtime from me.

D3VI0US

Supposed to be 30 at launch and 30 by the end of the year. 60 games is a lot but honestly that early list is complete shit and Nintendo isn't really capitalizing on the VC advantage.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
I'm actually shocked that there's only one Nintendo 64 title available at launch. You'd think Nintendo wouldn't hesitate to offer a couple more more expensive titles off the bat.

VC is going to be an absolute platinum-plated, gold-filled cash cow

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
I dunno about you, but I'm still surprised we're getting Bonk.

One step closer to getting Pac-Man, Sonic, Bonk, and Mario in a Super Smash Bros. Brawl battle.

(Bides his time.)

dyls

Apparenty we'll be getting some info on at least one new VC game tomorrow, looks like a Genesis or PCE title.

http://blogs.ign.com/bozon-ign

Bozon the Blog said:
So you either love me or hate me right now, depending on how patient you are. Here’s the deal, Matty-boy and I know a few of the VC games that aren’t released yet, and one of them on the list makes my Top 10 list in the final spot as a game I’m dying to play at launch. Now I’m not putting this on the list to over-hype the game as an end-all, be-all blockbuster hit. It’s simply a title that I missed over the years since I was a die-hard Nintendo fan, and when I heard it was on the way, I instantly made it a must-have game on my list. Of course we’re all waiting to see if games like Sin and Punishment or Goldeneye (good luck) are going to make the list, but it’s good to know that games like “mystery title” are going to be here on day one, making the Virtual Console something that fans of every retro system (not just Nintendo ones) can call their own. We’ll have more for you on Friday.

Hopefully this means Nintendo is ready to loosen their death grip on all VC info. I understand it though, they certainly don't want the competition to steal their idea for having old games playable on a next-gen console. ;)

Battersea Power Station said:
Shhh. The longer they wait to put it out, the longer I can hold out the false hope that they online it up and shiznit.

Yes. And hopefully implement Wiimote pointer functionality.

Anyone seen the screenshot(s) of the Playstation download service that include Konami MSX Antiques vol. 1 and vol. 2? Sony sure appears to be cutting straight to the chase.

Battle of the virtual consoles

Wii (9):

Metroid
Legend of Zelda, The
Ecco the Dolphin
ToeJam & Earl
Super Mario 64
Sonic the Hedgehog
Golden Axe
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World

VS PS3/PSP (9):

Biohazard Director's Cut
Konami Antics MSX Collection of Vol. 1
Konami Antics MSX Collection of Vol. 2
Bishi Bashi Special
Arc The Lad
Jumping Flash!
Everybody's Golf 2
Silent bomber
Tekken 2
Mr. Driller

ethelred

The Abominable Snowman said:
Battle of the virtual consoles

Wii:

Metroid
Legend of Zelda, The
Ecco the Dolphin
ToeJam & Earl
Super Mario 64
Sonic the Hedgehog
Golden Axe
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario World

VS PS3/PSP:

Biohazard Director's Cut
Konami Antics MSX Collection of Vol. 1
Konami Antics MSX Collection of Vol. 2
Bishi Bashi Special
Arc The Lad
Jumping Flash!
Everybody's Golf 2
Silent bomber
Tekken 2
Mr. Driller

No question which is the better list there.

Nintendo really needs to get on the ball here.

RaidenZR

Let's not forget that you need a PSP to play those for the foreseeable future.

But I'll take the older classics, thanks.

RaidenZR said:
Let's not forget that you need a PSP to play those for the foreseeable future.

But I'll take the older classics, thanks.
They will be playable on ps3 before the end of the year according to Sony

AniHawk

Nintendo's only having 9 VC games at launch?

PSP is $250
Wii is $250

Battle for the same amount of change.

Yeah, but the PSP is already dead. The Wii wont be dead for at least another six months.

ethelred

Wrestlemania said:
I might be wrong, but I think there's another piece of hardware there on the PSP side you might need to get those games. Something expensive.

PSP or PS3 emulated downloads: 5$
Sony PSP System: 250$
Sony PS3: 600$
Being wrong in using the latest anti-Sony talking points: Priceless

Wrestlemania said:
I might be wrong, but I think there's another piece of hardware there on the PSP side you might need to get those games. Something expensive.
Memsticks included with the $250 1Gig bundle...

Unless youre talking about an internet connection... You can use WiFi at like Starbucks, Mickey D's or something. But yea a wireless router usually runs you about $80... You're right.

Cheerilee

Memsticks included with the $250 1Gig bundle...

Unless youre talking about an internet connection... You can use WiFi at like Starbucks, Mickey D's or something. But yea a wireless router usually runs you about $80... You're right.
The Wii also needs a wireless router, or a trip to McDonalds (with a really long extension cord, and a TV, and space to waggle).

Glass Joe

correct me if i'm wrong, but all of these games except Toe Jam & Earl are 1 player. I wonder if that's intentional (Nintendo Wifi).

BobTheFork said:
my understanding is its the Jpn list, the NA list will likely be the same, but who knows
Yeah, looking at that, I'm pretty convinced the NA list will be much, much different because while stuff like Silent Bomber is great, only very hardcore gamers in NA know about it (not to mention other stuff like Konami's MSX collection). I think you'll see stuff like Tekken 2, Syphon Filter, Jet Moto, maybe Jumping Flash, and maybe other stuff like Air Combat, Medievil, etc..

Top Bottom