• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Gameplay Montage

Neiteio

Also, this crossover needs to happen eventually. Maybe this is what Nintendo are going for with 4 player co-op in Pikmin 3.
tumblr_m64ziw0j4A1qdpt0co1_1280.jpg
A Pikmin X Monster Hunter crossover? That's kind of neat, actually. So the main difference would be you and your Pikmin are slaying monsters to build yourself stronger weapons and armor, since you yourself can now participate in the fight, correct? And the Pikmin act like your assitants from the MH series. It's a fun idea. :)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Playing Pikmin on Dolphin at 720p....I don't see any improvement whatsoever in those videos.

Your version of Pikmin has little to no normal mapping effects, of which are blatantly evident in that video.

So your eyes are broken.

Sorry buddy.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Consider this, dudes. When Olimar is calling his Pikmin in that video, as he holds the button the circle renders upwards, creating a tall cylinder. It never did this in the old games, and it didn't do it in the demos for 3.

Could the call being more visually vertical give more credibility to... flying Pikmin? We saw something that looked like a flying Pikmin in an early trailer, but there was never any kind of confirmation either way.

Bulzeeb

Yeah, it's distressing. I mean, looking at the video I'm seeing that gorgeous lighting, the fantastic depth of field effects, the beautiful high-res textures...but in my mind all I can see is "1.24 GHz," "low-bandwidth DDR3," etc. I...I just think I could not possibly enjoy playing Pikmin 3 at all.

you really need help, I bet you will be telling a really cute girl to get out because you think a model in a magazie looks better

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Playing Pikmin on Dolphin at 720p....I don't see any improvement whatsoever in those videos.

with such poor attention to detail I'm surprised you got the game up and running on Dolphin in the first place.

Consider this, dudes. When Olimar is calling his Pikmin in that video, as he holds the button the circle renders upwards, creating a tall cylinder. It never did this in the old games, and it didn't do it in the demos for 3.

Could the call being more visually vertical give more credibility to... flying Pikmin? We saw something that looked like a flying Pikmin in an early trailer, but there was never any kind of confirmation either way.
Could be. Another option I was thinking of was that it would be a useful way of calling for help in multiplayer. The other Olimars would see your beacon from across the map and know where to find you.

Neiteio

Great observation. I'm hopeful those were what they appeared to be -- pink flying Pikmin -- and that the reason the cursor has changed is to facilitate them.

Meier

I CAN'T WAIT! OMG at the new enemy at 2:30 or so (the flying one). Amazing! My most anticipated game by far alongside Animal Crossing. HURRY UP AND RELEASE EM, NINTY!

Good point. I thought it was doing that to try and pop the bubbles the pikmin were in. Forgot about the flying pink pikmin.

DAMN this looks good. Definitely looks better than the E3 build. Lighting looks incredible and the textures look much improved.

Mit-

I imagine the whistle column is just for calling pikmin stuck in bubbles, or currently attacking a flying enemy. Maybe you want to select the pikmin under a flying enemy, while leaving the rest attacking. Now you can.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I hope you're right. Lining up Pikmin was borderline useless in the NPC games, for the reasons stated earlier. We need some way to have formations or even giving basic simple macro-commands to your whole party.

I'm curious if using tilt to move your army around might work.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I maintain that PIKMIN is a pitch black satire of imperialism

There are definitely a lot of elements in the game to back such a claim, but on the other hand the Pikmin do seem to genuinely benefit from the presence of Olimar and Co.
Without them they'd still be at the bottom of the food chain.

D-e-f-

Banned
Oh, I'm pretty sure they did it again... The Pikmin 1 level "Forest Navel" is here again.
In Pikmin 2, the levels were remakes of 4 out of 5 Pikmin 1 levels (except Forest Navel).
At least it seems we got new levels, and as long as this is only Forest Navel, I will be ok with it. However, recycling areas is pretty cheap.

I have played both Pikmin games earlier this year and I have not seen one recycled area in Pikmin 2 (I have not 100%ed the, only finished the main story). Unless you consider "oh it has trees and grass and flowers => recycled area" then I have no idea what you're talking about.

Looks aren't everything but why does this look like a game cube game?

You have obviously never seen a Gamecube game.

Honestly, you may have issues with your eye sight.

I'd like to try pikmin 2, but why the heck is it so expensive?

Wii version -> sub- 20 bucks

Neiteio

There are definitely a lot of elements in the game to back such a claim, but on the other hand the Pikmin do seem to genuinely benefit from the presence of Olimar and Co.
Yeah, not to mention that Olimar doesn't force them into service -- he's not cutting or whipping or shooting the Pikmin. He's just like, "Yo bros, let's kill EVERYTHING IN THE ECOSYSTEM" and they're like, "This speaks to us! LET'S DO IT!"

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yeah, not to mention that Olimar doesn't force them into service -- he's not cutting or whipping or shooting the Pikmin. He's just like, "Yo bros, let's kill EVERYTHING IN THE ECOSYSTEM" and they're like, "This speaks to us! LET'S DO IT!"

I never said it wasn't a cruel arrangement. Olimar literally throws Pikmin into battle to die for his personal causes. You could say it's a satire of imperialism in the sense that the food chain on the planet is essentially upside down from what it would be otherwise, and that Pikmin are nothing more than blood thirsty opportunists. So one cruel side of nature replaced with another cruel side of nature. That's the story of evolution, really.

Looks amazing. But where are the damage meters?

maybe they were playing on hardcore mode, haha.

game looks straight up gangster. beautysome. I'm hopign they provide HUD options and allow for elements to live on the screen with the dedicated top-down view.
edit: wait wtf am I saying, the on-screen is already superbly HUDless. *captain falcon YES!*

Nibel

This has some fantastic lighting just like NSMBU and Nintendoland, they really nailed it

This will be glorious.

I thought it was interesting at the Eurogamer Expo for the Pikmin 3 demo Nintendo opted to go with the wiimote/nunchuck combo over using the gamepad to demo the game. I did like the demo a lot, and I'm a big Pikmin fan, but it worried me how similar it felt to the older games. Hopefully the full game is a little more experimental.

bomma_man

Maybe Olimar is an unreliable narrator? 'White washing' history as it were.

I dunno, but I want to believe. It's amazingly clever if it is.

I think the people saying that this looks better than the E3 demo either have forgotten how the E3-demo looks or simply wants it to be true. I can see no noticable improvement wahtsoever. It still looks quite nice but it is also underwhelming in some aspects. This game has probably been finished and shelved for quite some time now, in order to spread out releases. Pikmin 3 has always been a low budget game for enthusiasts and that's why they don't put alot of resources into the graphics.

boiled goose

good with gravy
maybe it is the stream quality, but overall the game does not look impressive to me.

A lot of the textures still look pretty low res. animations and look still very derived from the gamecube originals.

I know nothing about graphics tech, but the game looks beautiful. More importantly, I cannot wait to play it. Spring? Why the wait??? This is the game I bought a Wii U for.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I hope they give you the option in settings to turn off the highlighting of carry-able items (like the fruit).

Top Bottom