• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 Gameplay Montage

Kazerei

Banned
I really wanted this to be a launch title, but if they delayed it to polish it up more, then I'm fine with that. The game looks amazing.

sphinx

the piano man
either the guy sucks at playing or this game will be a blood bath, enemies eating pikmin left and right like candy in halloween.

I'ts like watching a war movie, I get very tense seeing that, to be honest.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
I think some of the graphical decisions people take issue with are done for the sake of clarity. Like I think the water is really well done actually, it's very clear where the water meets the edge of the ground and where the surface of the water is. I would also assume that's why they don't seem to be pushing for actual blades of grass everywhere, because it would be too obstructive. Same goes for animations, they would want to favor obvious "tell" animations (like when an enemy is about to attack, or when a bulborb notices you) over "realistic" animations that might not be as clear.

Though the ground and rock textures could use some attention, I think it looks really good.

QaaQer

Ok, I don't give a fuck about how shitty the cpu is, how lousy ninty is at coding OS's, how bizzare the contrroller looks, as soon as this game is out, I'm buying that new wii addon thing.

PIKMIN3!!!

sphinx

the piano man
The former. He just casually strolls by giant bulborbs, brushing his pikmin up against the creatures, waking them up. The player should be indicted for war crimes.

yeah, I noticed, but I also think the game will be a bit more cruel...

the crab was grabbing pikmin and eating them in a nasty way, it's a long time since I played both pikmins but I don't remember any animal or enemiy being such an asshole.

maybe the peacocks in the first game...

Poyunch

All those dying Pikmin bummed the hell out of me. Can't figure out how one would take down that crab or deal with that Bulbear in that dark cave.

Pseudo_Sam

All those dying Pikmin bummed the hell out of me. Can't figure out how one would take down that crab or deal with that Bulbear in that dark cave.

That's what I said, there's no damage meter at all. Normally that would indicate he did no damage to any enemy in the entire video, but surely that can't be considering he rains Pikmin on everything. Did they just take it out for the video or something?

Galang

Banned
Ok, I don't give a fuck about how shitty the cpu is, how lousy ninty is at coding OS's, how bizzare the contrroller looks, as soon as this game is out, I'm buying that new wii addon thing.

PIKMIN3!!!

Yup. I've never not gotten a console because of things like this. All I care about is good games, the rest is just icing on the cake.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I notice that they added turned up lips to the edges of the lily pads, probably done to keep Pikmin from falling off into the water.

Q2? q_q

The only thing My girlfriend will play is that Touch Detective mushroom growing spinoff. But I know she would love this.

I guess if it comes out in April or later I'll have more time to enjoy it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
@ 2:40 you can see Purple and White pikmin growing in the ground on the stumps.

This game looks beautiful, I don't get the graphics complaints. If I don't get a Wii until 2013 or so, this will be the first game I buy alongside Nintendo Land.

Gahiggidy

I'm not a fan of either, but I'd like the white more if they could grow their buds into glowing light sources and be used in caves and at night to light-up paths.

Haha hooooooly crap O_O I am excited and worried about fighting the crab and the moth, those things look quite dangerous!

A shame we haven't seen the flying pikmin that showed up in the intro in one of the earlier showings for Pikmin 3, I wonder how that one operates? It looks like the rock pikmin just do a lot of direct damage and bounce off whatever they hit, so that's pretty similar to how purple pikmin work when thrown right? Or do purple pikmin stay on the target and keep hitting them? Pretty sure it's just direct damage, but I haven't played Pikmin 2 in awhile.

You're not able to do that with Wii controls and I think it wasn't possible on the Gamepad too (at E3)
Do you mean the swarm/attack move command? Pretty sure that was possible by holding down on the control pad on the wiimote. It was a good way to get some pikmin ahead or around me when I was moving around, in order to reduce the chance that any stragglers would run into an enemy or a trap while I was getting somewhere :p

Consider this, dudes. When Olimar is calling his Pikmin in that video, as he holds the button the circle renders upwards, creating a tall cylinder. It never did this in the old games, and it didn't do it in the demos for 3.

Could the call being more visually vertical give more credibility to... flying Pikmin? We saw something that looked like a flying Pikmin in an early trailer, but there was never any kind of confirmation either way.
Yeah yeah I wanna know too! :D Although, it could also be useful to indicate that pikmin on a higher elevation with nothing under it (such as a branch or a bridge) can be called over this way.

Specifically regarding the crab, I bet the player will be enticed to use rock pikmin in order to break its claw, that way the crab can't block regular pikmin throws. It seems like there's quite a lot of "armored" enemies or obstructions in Pikmin 3.

Playing Pikmin on Dolphin at 720p....I don't see any improvement whatsoever in those videos.
If you're serious, call to the police as soon as you can. Your eyes have been stolen.
If you still have have them, start using them. Cause you might as well be blind. Seriously.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Today's Pikmin footage got me thinking about the franchise. I'm far from an expert player, but I get the feeling these games are considerably harder to master than Nintendo's previous 'core' franchises.

What's more, it feels like Pikmin was designed to be intentionally oppressive. With Zelda and Metroid, you start off weak and very much at the mercy of the world, but gradually the tables are turned until you are in full command of your surroundings. That kind of experience of being empowered is something many Nintendo games share. Mario (especially 3D Mario) is also known for its gradual learning curve, easing you into mastering the game.

Experience naturally leads to improvement in any game, but am I the only one who feels that mastering Pikmin on the same level as mastering Metroid is considerably more difficult?
Maybe I just suck at it, but I don't get the same feeling of satisfaction in Pikmin that I do in other games. By that I don't mean the games aren't fun, because they are among my favorites. But I could never just casually play Pikmin for a half hour after a long day in order to unwind. Pikmin, as an experience, is stressful as hell, and the game constantly reminds you of the sacrifices you had to make in order to gain any progress.

You get nothing for free, and because resources are limited almost anything can be taken away from you once you've earned it. I guess it's one of those games like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter were the only way to improve in the game is to improve in real life as a player. Unlike Metroid or Zelda where your avatar is noticeably more powerful after several hours even if your skill as a player has stayed the same.

Pseudo_Sam

Today's Pikmin footage got me thinking about the franchise. I'm far from an expert player, but I get the feeling these games are considerably harder to master than Nintendo's previous 'core' franchises.

What's more, it feels like Pikmin was designed to be intentionally oppressive. With Zelda and Metroid, you start off weak and very much at the mercy of the world, but gradually the tables are turned until you are in full command of your surroundings. That kind of experience of being empowered is something many Nintendo games share. Mario (especially 3D Mario) is also known for its gradual learning curve, easing you into mastering the game.

Experience naturally leads to improvement in any game, but am I the only one who feels that mastering Pikmin on the same level as mastering Metroid is considerably more difficult?
Maybe I just suck at it, but I don't get the same feeling of satisfaction in Pikmin that I do in other games. By that I don't mean the games aren't fun, because they are among my favorites. But I could never just casually play Pikmin for a half hour after a long day in order to unwind. Pikmin, as an experience, is stressful as hell, and the game constantly reminds you of the sacrifices you had to make in order to gain any progress.

You get nothing for free, and because resources are limited almost anything can be taken away from you once you've earned it. I guess it's one of those games like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter were the only way to improve in the game is to improve in real life as a player. Unlike Metroid or Zelda where your avatar is noticeably more powerful after several hours even if your skill as a player has stayed the same.

Good post. Pikmin is a bizarre franchise that can't really be compared to anything else. Maybe that's why I love it so much. And I definitely agree about the stress. The first was actually too much for me with the time limit, that's one reason why I vastly prefer 2.

Makonero

Good post. Pikmin is a bizarre franchise that can't really be compared to anything else. Maybe that's why I love it so much. And I definitely agree about the stress. The first was actually too much for me with the time limit, that's one reason why I vastly prefer 2.

Exactly. I am a little worried about Miyamoto's insinuations that Pikmin 3 will be more like the original than the second.

I can totally relate to that post :D

In addition to the points you make about resource stringency, one of the interesting things about Pikmin is that having a bigger army is not always better. In fact, a large group of pikmin can be harder to command than most armies in modern RTS games, and the amount of area you have to worry about is bigger as well since the pikmin spread out and basically have 1HP (with protection against specific environmental or elemental effects).

Swarming/attack moving works against smaller enemies because you'll kill them before they react, but big enemies such as Snagrets and adult Bulborbs have specific weak points that mindless swarming doesn't work well against. In fact swarming against big enemies is a great way to lose a bunch of pikmin at once! Hitting the weak points for those enemies (heads/backs) requires aiming your throws so that your pikmin hit them right, and throwing is a very bottlenecked way of commanding pikmin. So basically you can't just rely on having 100 pikmin and running everything over all the time, you have to work on your aim and find out what elemental or methodic weaknesses can be exploited.

JazzmanZ

This trailer is terrible, the guy keeps letting his pikmin getting killed :((((

Also I find it worrisome that theres no onions, purple/white pikmin or those number pellets at all in the trailers, it makes me think we just have to find pikmin everywhere on the map instead.

Also I find it worrisome that theres no onions, purple/white pikmin or those number pellets at all in the trailers, it makes me think we just have to find pikmin everywhere on the map instead.
You could see purple and white pikmin following him and there were purple pikmin in the ground.

However now that you mention it it's odd how there weren't any onions when he was returning the treasure. However maybe that was the challenge mode where you start off with a predetermined amount of pikmin.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Is it possible to pikmin swarp with the wii remote? Like the situation in the beginning where he walks past a bullborg the pikmin wake it up. Normally you'd use the c-stick to push them against the wall to avoid a massacre but in pikmin 3 even with the gamepad the right stick is only for the map. Is it possible to pikmin swarm in the new play control pikmin 1 and 2 for wii? If there's only the whistle it'll feel like you have no control over them. Controlling pikmin with the stick was my favorite part of these games.

ohlawd

Pikmin 1 was hard as fuck.

Then I learned how to swarm. Game turned to easy mode. Never mind the 30 day limit, it doesn't even matter at that point.

damn that looks insane :D holy shit at that sea monster type thing in the cave

wish it had a solid release date :( i want it now

so many pikmin will die ,wish they would put a online count of how many die lol

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Someone on the last page spotted white and purple pikmin ready to be plucked from the ground.

BD1

Banned
Looks great.

I love some of the new creatures, especially the ones that look like fallen leafs and then suddenly sprout legs and scurry away when you get near. It's one of those designs where you say, "this could exist in real life, if real life was Nintendo."

... I want to see more of the differences in control style though. I feel like WiiMote w/ GamePad on the stand is the way to go...

RE: Swarming

I believe in the original reveal trailer there was a "lock on" of sorts. The enemy was highlighted in red, and then the commander sent all the Pikmin at the targeted enemy all at once.

This may not be the same as being able to push your Pikmin up against a wall in a straight line to sneak by, but it seems more effective for swarming.

I can't believe this game is taking so long to make though. Makes it much easier to not buy the system though knowing this is not out yet.

Gahiggidy

For what its worth, at E3 Miyamoto did an interview where he said the director had only just started designing the Gamepad's control scheme.

Looks great.

I love some of the new creatures, especially the ones that look like fallen leafs and then suddenly sprout legs and scurry away when you get near. It's one of those designs where you say, "this could exist in real life, if real life was Nintendo."

... I want to see more of the differences in control style though. I feel like WiiMote w/ GamePad on the stand is the way to go...
Those were in pikmin 2.

J-Rock

Banned

icG99jzqW9xqg.gif

Boogiepop

So wait, at the end of the trailer, are those pink pikmin in the ground, or what pikmin that look pink because of the glow coming off their leaves? Anyway, looks great, but I can't believe we still have seemingly nothing about anything but challenge mode.

SA-X

Exactly. I am a little worried about Miyamoto's insinuations that Pikmin 3 will be more like the original than the second.
I on the other hand love it, the more like Pikmin 1 the better. More outdoor levels that require actual multitasking and puzzle solving please, the less random cave filler the better.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

Mastering Pikmin IS difficult. definetly

Bulzeeb

But it feels so wrong to sacrifice them to poison enemies :(

so true, when I played Pikmin 2 I usually was walking around with no more than 3 or 6 pikmin and beign very careful with them, I managed to beat the game without losing a single pikmin

Top Bottom