• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

mantidor

Sorry for double post but I have a question, I left two grapes behind because sunset came, however the counter says I got all fruit on the area, should I go back and get the two grapes, or it's not necessary?

To answer my own question because no one did thank you, it is not necessary. I guess that after capturing a certain amount of the grapes the game recognizes it as having captured them all.

After capturing all fruit, now to the missions!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just started the game yesterday (got it from MK8 promo). Only did the first 2 days, but already it's given me a glimpse of the game's potential. Splitting up into teams, each with their own taskforce of Pikmin, trying to optimize the exploration for the day. I like the idea of sunlight being a time limit, creates a sense of urgency and tension that forces you to be efficient.

The Pikmin are adorable, too! So are the voices, haha

If I'm enjoying this, is it worth going back to Pikmin1/2(Wii) afterwards?

Pikmin 1 and 2 are different enough from 3 to make each one enjoyable on its own. The Wii editions do benefit from the wiimote+nunchuk control scheme. They don't feel too outdated.

K-A-Deman

need help getting the file near the start of Distant Tundra (the one next to the cherry there.) I know I need to throw my captains up there to get it, but I'm having a difficult time discerning where on the ledge I need to throw them. This has been frustrating me for about two (real) days now, as I'm pretty much done with collecting fruit and just need to go to the final area, but I'm picking up my remaining files first.

I wanted to make a thread about this game being released a year ago and how wonderful it is.

But I forget the anniversary so I'll keep it here.

Same period into the new generation with xbox one and ps4 and there hasn't been an equivalent game of that stature released so far.

Llyranor

Pikmin 1 and 2 are different enough from 3 to make each one enjoyable on its own. The Wii editions do benefit from the wiimote+nunchuk control scheme. They don't feel too outdated.

If I were to grab 1/2, should I play it in chronological order while keeping 3 on hold?

Socreges

Banned
If I were to grab 1/2, should I play it in chronological order while keeping 3 on hold?
I would. Partly because 3 has references to 1/2, but really because 1/2 have slightly more archaic mechanics and might feel dated/limiting after going through 3.

And keep in mind I'm not saying that either game is archaic - just that 3 gives you more control in some ways and so to enjoy each to its max I'd suggest playing them chronologically.

Playing the series from its beginnings to its most complex is also a great way to learn how best to play. The first Pikmin is less overwhelming so it's easier to learn the fundamental strategies.

Is the DLC for this game worth it? I haven't bought it yet, but it seems like all of it is out now. Any to avoid, or are they all good enough to justify a purchase?

I've started playing Pikmin 2, the Wii version.

Piklopedia really would have been a great fit in the game.

Already laughed aloud of a number of times in the first hour I've put in.

Necrovex

So I may have hit a problem in my playthrough. I need more rock Pikmins, but I am all out of rock Pikmin. They must have died bravely during a fight while murdering a creature. So how do I get more of a particular Pikmin when I'm all out of them?

The game also says I have two rock Pikmins, but I don't see them on the ship.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So I may have hit a problem in my playthrough. I need more rock Pikmins, but I am all out of rock Pikmin. They must have died bravely during a fight while murdering a creature. So how do I get more of a particular Pikmin when I'm all out of them?

The game also says I have two rock Pikmins, but I don't see them on the ship.

That means that the two rock pikmins are lost somewhere on the way. You can probably see them on the map on the Gamepad if you look really close.

You can't get a specific Pikmin if all of that type are extinct. But you can put these 2 together with some other(s) to carry one animal to the ship to multiply.

Necrovex

Then for sure one should pop out if you lose them all. And if you have 2 loose ones, they'll perish at the end of the day.

Here's the problem though, I have gone through several days, with the same number of rock pikmins, two, who are not on my Onion. Like the gamepad says I have them, but I don't have access to any in the Onion. I am on the world with the blue Pikmins. I'm wondering if Candypop Buds are available yet, and if so, where I can find the rock one?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Here's the problem though, I have gone through several days, with the same number of rock pikmins, two, who are not on my Onion. Like the gamepad says I have them, but I don't have access to any in the Onion. I am on the world with the blue Pikmins. I'm wondering if Candypop Buds are available yet, and if so, where I can find the rock one?

Maybe they are planted somewhere? Do you have the separate onions or the combined one? (should be able to tell by the color)

Necrovex

Maybe they are planted somewhere? Do you have the separate onions or the combined one? (should be able to tell by the color)

I have the combined onion. The game keeps telling me I have two rock pikmins in the field, each day, but I can't seem to find any buried or around the landing site.

Finally found them. In some random ass spot far away from the landing site.

whitehawk

Banned
Is the stick deadzone in the demo the same as the full game? Because you pretty much have to move the analog stick all the way to the side the sides for them to work. Its pretty annoying. Seems like a glaring issue that I'm not sure how it got passed QA.

mdsfx

why is this game rare all of the sudden? Was just about to buy it for my daughter and I but it's sold out. Isn't this a first party Nintendo game??

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Because that's what is usually happening with the Nintendo games that are not multi-million sellers, they don't print them again. Especially if it's a very good game (and Pikmin 3 is a great one) it gets very rare to find in retail further away from the release date.

mdsfx

Because that's what is usually happening with the Nintendo games that are not multi-million sellers, they don't print them again. Especially if it's a very good game (and Pikmin 3 is a great one) it gets very rare to find in retail further away from the release date.
My daughter is a sad panda. Looks like it's a digital buy then. Oh well.

Dragonflame323

Neo Member
I'm loving the mission mode, I have all stages up till Silver Lake Remix platinum for treasure hunting. I swear the stages get tougher and tougher.

Well, after all this time, I finally beat it. Got all of the fruit. Kind of sad about it, as Pikmin is one of my favorite franchises. But hopefully the wait for Pikmin 4 won't be as long as the wait for Pikmin 3 was. Now to try out these missions and other things.

Jinaar

Man I downloaded the demo the other night on my new WII U and fell in love with P3. I never have played a Pikmin game before.

I looked all over to find the game in stores and finally found a used copy for $50 Canadian here in Alberta. Like everyone is posting, physical copies are extinct basically. Super happy and will be playing it like mad tonight.

Also got ZOMBIU for $18. *insert grin here*

mrmickfran

*Wiimote & Nunchuck problems*

*End of day countdown begins*
"All right, I have all my Pikmin with me in my squad, no worries!"
"3,2,1,0"
*Scratches head with Nunchuck hand, all Pikmin disperse*

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I played (together with my girlfriend) again through the story these days and I almost forgot how incredible gorgeous the credit are. Unbelievably cute.

Kickz

Picked this up on a whim over the weekend, and already fallen hard for it. First game in the series for me. I like that I get that whimsical vibe that has been hard to find in this era of the FPS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Been playing for a week or two and I would just like to say first, amazing game and second, fuck the Quaggled Mireclops. That guy is an asshole.

mrkgoo

How do we know what version is the latest?

I remember playing this back in 2014 sometime, completing it then loaning it to a friend.

during that time, a download must've automatically installed, as it kept saying "data has finished installing" whenever I hit the wii U home menu, and looking at downloads there was a pikmin 3 update.

It got annoying, so I deleted the "update" even though it said it had finished installing, I was told that it doesn't actually install until I start the game, which I obviously didn't have on me. I was further told that it didn't matter because when I got the game back it would prompt me to download it again.

Now I've just got the disc back, and I put it in...no prompt. SO do I have the update isntalled or not? the Wii U interface and system is frustrating, not know what is actually installed, and what isn't.

Its version 2.0.0 of pikmin 3 at the moment, is that the latest? I thought I already had that before I lent the game, and there was another update.....

Dry_Bones

I know I am LTTP but is this game more difficult than the previous ones ?? Or, should I say not as well designed as the previous ones ???

It took me 2-3 hours to find the cellphone which was eaten by that giant worm thing because I didn't know where to look ! I must have scanned the entire area and I even tried looking in other areas because I reached a point where I convinced myself that I must have missed something in a previous area ! (Still don't have the blue Pikmins after 11-12 days so it seemed kind of odd to me)

Why couldn't they put on a map where the signal comes from or something in order to give us a clue ?? I love this franchise and Pikmin 1&2 are two of my favourite games of all time, but this was an extremely frustrating experience .. Loved the game up until this point ..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm pretty sure you can see on the map where the phone signal is coming from. But I have to fire the game to check when I will have some time.
Maybe you need to be close enough? I'm not sure.

Dry_Bones

I'm pretty sure you can see on the map where the phone signal is coming from. But I have to fire the game to check when I will have some time.
Maybe you need to be close enough? I'm not sure.

I've started playing the next area and indeed there is a cellular signal on the map !! I could have SWORN that I've checked that map again and again in the previous area but apparently I was too blinded by my frustration to see clearly .. My mistake and I do apologise ..

I'm playing with the Wiimote+Nunchuck and I use the Gamepad as a map by the way ..

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I've started playing the next area and indeed there is a cellular signal on the map !! I could have SWORN that I've checked that map again and again in the previous area but apparently I was too blinded by my frustration to see clearly .. My mistake and I do apologise ..

I'm playing with the Wiimote+Nunchuck and I use the Gamepad as a map by the way ..

No need for apology. I remember I haven't seen the signal from the beginning err either.

Any large, really unspoilery tips for someone familiar with the fantastic franchise but not the game? Just purchased a copy with a Wii U while giggling profusely at how fun the games are. Any super radical change I should be aware of?

Also the DLC is a must, right?

Top Bottom