• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

Shengar

The only way to get stuck is to remain without fruits and that's the game over. In that case you probably will need to go several days back to replay.
But generally this is not an issue except for a particular part of the game.

So as long as I obtained fruit for each day, I wouldn't be screwed? Note taken, thanks!
Another question:
When will I be reunited with Captain Charlie? Currently I'm in the first Tundra level.

jnWake

So as long as I obtained fruit for each day, I wouldn't be screwed? Note taken, thanks!
Another question:
When will I be reunited with Captain Charlie? Currently I'm in the first Tundra level.

It should be soon!

I finished my first playthrough. Lost 297 Pikmin, 97 of those Red...

I could've done a lot better but oh well, I never restarted a day and some bosses/enemies took me by surprise.

EDIT: Also, what the hell is with the ending's
last line? What could have crashed the ship?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Picked this up yesterday and put a few hours in. Amazing game so far. But, a question:

If I maintain 1 filled fruit drink a day, I won't get screwed right?

I'm up to day 11 and have 10 full fruit drinks, but I make sure I get at least one fruit drink a day.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Picked this up yesterday and put a few hours in. Amazing game so far. But, a question:

If I maintain 1 filled fruit drink a day, I won't get screwed right?

I'm up to day 11 and have 10 full fruit drinks, but I make sure I get at least one fruit drink a day.

Yes, you should be fine. You will find also fruits that can produce more than one drink. Plus the bosses will help with that too. You will not starve
except for ...

BuzzJive

I really really love getting platinums in mission mode. The challenge level is about perfect. I got my butt whupped by level 7 of battle enemies. Interesting strategies needed to platinum that on single player.

PrimeX

Two days ago I've downloaded the latest DLC for Pikmin 3 and I have to say it's very good. Although it is a bit more expensive than the first DLC being 5 pounds instead of 1.7 pounds for the first one, the new levels are not just spin-offs of the original levels but entirely new in design and strategic ways to play.
So if anyone was wondering about getting this DLC I think it's worth the money.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
To be fair the previous DLCs had just 4 missions each, while this one has 8 missions. And as you said, fully new. It is a great DLC. I am now struggling to get the platinum on the next treasury mission after the Christmas one (I think is no. 12).

ASIS

I'm sad there is not a lot of discussions over the DLC. I'm planning on getting it next weekend, but I wish there were more impressions.

mantidor

Pikmin get!

I do feel terrible since I had to chose between this and tw101 :( but I'm budget constrained, I would have loved to get Zelda as well but I just can't.

And I just played 9 days non stop, the game is so good, and makes me hungry to see all that ripe fresh fruit :(

Shengar

Pikmin get!

I do feel terrible since I had to chose between this and tw101 :( but I'm budget constrained, I would have loved to get Zelda as well but I just can't.

And I just played 9 days non stop, the game is so good, and makes me hungry to see all that ripe fresh fruit :(

Uou play 9 days nonstop?
Meanwhile I'm forced myself to hold back from playing it too much so my Wii U games not exhausted too fast. It is quite hard thing to do honestly, since Pikmin 3 gives a wonderful of discovery again, something that I've not experienced for years in gaming. I want to know next what hidden in the corner of the map, but I told myself to hold back and spread my gaming time evenly to other platform.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Uou play 9 days nonstop?
Meanwhile I'm forced myself to hold back from playing it too much so my Wii U games not exhausted too fast. It is quite hard thing to do honestly, since Pikmin 3 gives a wonderful of discovery again, something that I've not experienced for years in gaming. I want to know next what hidden in the corner of the map, but I told myself to hold back and spread my gaming time evenly to other platform.
You should not worry, if you go into the missions and if you add also the DLCs the story is just a very small part of the game. And later in the story you might have to repeat a day or two.

Oidisco

Uou play 9 days nonstop?

You're stronger than I am. I tried to take my time, explore slowly and play other games at the same time.
Instead I pretty much just played Pikmin 3 for a solid month, despite finishing the game after 3 days....

BuzzJive

I've got platinums now on the first 10 missions of both collecting and battling. On to the festivus DLC!

15 missions is an odd number. I'm hoping tomorrow's Nintendo Direct will bring that total to 20.

mantidor

Uou play 9 days nonstop?

9 in-game days of course hehe.

I'm also digging a lot their fake japanese speech.

I'm over here agonizing about the death of my pikmin, and Brittany, that selfish bitch, all she can care about is juice. "OOH NEW FRUIT!"

Hey.

HEY.

Can you give our recently deceased captured slaves a moment of silence before we consume the stolen natural resources?

Shit

mantidor

I hope Brittany eventually improves in empathy skills, her "ugh I hate to share juice!" speech is so mean spirited :(

Also for some reason I've always ended up defeating bosses close to Sunset, making me freak out and losing lots of pikmin in the process, you never get over their cries when they don't get in time to the ship. :(

leroidys

The layout of the levels, comparison with the original pack and DLC 1, favorites & least favorites, etc.

You know.. :p

I've only done the Fortress of Festivity collect items one so far. It's really cool, much more of a throwback to Pikmin 2. It also has 3 captains, which is a plus.

It's WAY easier than most recent DLC though. You barely even need to multitask captains to beat it. It's a little more puzzle-based in a sense, in that at first its not obvious how to reach everything, but once you figure it out an operating order becomes pretty obvious.

The new assets look great. I want a Pikmin christmas stocking now.

EDIT: I guess you're probably not as interested in impressions of the free one lol. Well hopefully my impressions may start some discussion for the other ones as well. I'll post again after I go through some of the new paid DLC. NES remix is owning my life right now.

ASIS

I've only done the Fortress of Festivity collect items one so far. It's really cool, much more of a throwback to Pikmin 2. It also has 3 captains, which is a plus.

It's WAY easier than most recent DLC though. You barely even need to multitask captains to beat it. It's a little more puzzle-based in a sense, in that at first its not obvious how to reach everything, but once you figure it out an operating order becomes pretty obvious.

The new assets look great. I want a Pikmin christmas stocking now.

EDIT: I guess you're probably not as interested in impressions of the free one lol. Well hopefully my impressions may start some discussion for the other ones as well. I'll post again after I go through some of the new paid DLC. NES remix is owning my life right now.
Oh no I'm very interested, I still didn't have a chance to play it yet, thank you very much :)

Oidisco

I don't if I mentioned this before, but after my 1st Playthrough I started messing around with the captain throwing ability and the dodge whistle, just to see if I could reach any normally inaccessible locations. Mostly so I could snag some sweet pictures!

So far I've cone across a couple in Garden of Hope, 1 very boring location in Twilight River (ledge beside the Drake) none in Tropical Wilds and a few really awesome ones in Distant Tundra:
iOvsQ9L9cabk0.jpg

j9uyTCnsfHOAw.jpg

You might recognise that hole in the ground from the opening cutscene when you 1st explore the Distant Tundra. This is probably the coolest place I've found, since it lets you run around a fairly large area of the map. At the very edge you can clip through a snow wall and fall off the map, which then automatically dumps you outside the 1st cave, with a decent amount of damage taken.

It's not very exciting, I know. But I just figured that I'd share for fun. In the next few days I'll post pictures from other normally inaccessible locations.

I'm over here agonizing about the death of my pikmin, and Brittany, that selfish bitch, all she can care about is juice. "OOH NEW FRUIT!"

Hey.

HEY.

Can you give our recently deceased captured slaves a moment of silence before we consume the stolen natural resources?

Shit

I laughed.

Brittany is great. Someone has to be focused on the mission at hand, and it's sure not the Captain staring at her ass all day.

Downhome

My wife did indeed get me Pikmin 3 for Christmas. Oh man I am loving this game. I never played much of the first two, just barely any at all actually, and I think that was a mistake. I'm having so much fun with this one so far. It's so beautiful too, everything is so vibrant and at times very lifelike, especially the fruits!

I got to what I assume is the first "boss". I defeated it after trying a few times but I couldn't get anything back to "base" or whatever you call it in time. I barely even beat the boss and the timer started up to get back in a hurry as soon as I defeated it. I guess I just need to practice. I sure do love the game though.

I was also devastated when I realized that my Pikmin could die and you then watch their spirits float up looking all sad. Good lord, that hit me in the gut, lol.

My wife did indeed get me Pikmin 3 for Christmas. Oh man I am loving this game. I never played much of the first two, just barely any at all actually, and I think that was a mistake. I'm having so much fun with this one so far. It's so beautiful too, everything is so vibrant and at times very lifelike, especially the fruits!

I got to what I assume is the first "boss". I defeated it after trying a few times but I couldn't get anything back to "base" or whatever you call it in time. I barely even beat the boss and the timer started up to get back in a hurry as soon as I defeated it. I guess I just need to practice. I sure do love the game though.

I was also devastated when I realized that my Pikmin could die and you then watch their spirits float up looking all sad. Good lord, that hit me in the gut, lol.
Boss health carries over to the next day and if you defeated it then it's corpse will still be there the next day. The same goes for fruits (I think) that if you drop them they will be in that spot the next day.

Shengar

Finished the game under 37 days, 15:07 total playtime.
Man, that was totally fun of a game. Not regretting a single moment of it. What I got totally over my expectation in a good way. I'll probably play the mission DLC later. Have to let the Pikmin slaves comrades rest for now.

Did anybody else get a glitch where it says your pikmin died when they didn't? I decided to do a no death run and i had only been up to day 5. I went back and redid day 3 with zero deaths, but day 4's death count was included in my day 3 zero death run...i figured when i went and beat day 4 with no deaths it would correct itself but it didn't...i just spent an hour and finally beat the goddamn first boss with zero deaths only for it to carry the original death toll even though it showed no deaths at the end of both days....WTF!?

Is there any fix or do I have to start the entire game over? -_-'

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Did anybody else get a glitch where it says your pikmin died when they didn't? I decided to do a no death run and i had only been up to day 5. I went back and redid day 3 with zero deaths, but day 4's death count was included in my day 3 zero death run...i figured when i went and beat day 4 with no deaths it would correct itself but it didn't...i just spent an hour and finally beat the goddamn first boss with zero deaths only for it to carry the original death toll even though it showed no deaths at the end of both days....WTF!?

Is there any fix or do I have to start the entire game over? -_-'

Did you do also the day 5? Also the first 2 days have no deaths, right?

Did you do also the day 5? Also the first 2 days have no deaths, right?

the first 2 days say no deaths. i didn't redo day 5 because after i went back to day 3 it was no longer an option, but for some reason day 4 was still there. its weird because it shows I have 0 deaths the first 2 days, but now it says 4 deaths next to day 3 and 4 even though i completed both with zero deaths and saved it

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
the first 2 days say no deaths. i didn't redo day 5 because after i went back to day 3 it was no longer an option, but for some reason day 4 was still there. its weird because it shows I have 0 deaths the first 2 days, but now it says 4 deaths next to day 3 and 4 even though i completed both with zero deaths and saved it

Sounds like something is messed up. You could try to do again day 3, although I would say you better start it all over again as you are so early in the game. You can create a new Mii on the console and play it on that one, as you will get a clean save file, if you want to keep the current one,

Sounds like something is messed up. You could try to do again day 3, although I would say you better start it all over again as you are so early in the game. You can create a new Mii on the console and play it on that one, as you will get a clean save file, if you want to keep the current one,

i replayed it all. and i just beat the first boss with no deaths only to have one of the little stupid fuckers to fall in the fucking water on the way back and die. GRRRRRRRRRRR

starting from day 1 fixed it though

All I know about bingo battle is that well timed warps or rock storms can royally screw over someone, in this case me because I never get rock storm myself.

Riposte

All I know about bingo battle is that well timed warps or rock storms can royally screw over someone, in this case me because I never get rock storm myself.

I don't really like the items too much, but I'm not sure about writing them off as lame yet.

I love Pikmin! just got the game maybe a week and a half ago and really started playing more a few days ago and I'm stuck......two areas open, feel like I explored as far as I can....I must be missing something obvious.

I've tried searching for Charlie but can't find him. I don't want to get help but I'd also like to move on.

I am having fun just walking around and taking pictures however haha

Oidisco

Man, I wish you could turn off the Camera HUD, just so I'd be able to use the browser for 720p pictures. I know Miiverse shots don't have the HUD, but that's 480p and bleugh! I'll post the pictures I took anyways I guess.
jBHWEpSih3HGA.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_019iu6e.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01t6ssy.jpg

I just killed like 50 Pikmin by accident... I whistled to most of my Pikmin from across a body of water thinking they would go around to get to me, but they all started to swim... Then they started to cry/freak out and make ungody noises. The more I whistled at them, the more they tried to swim, and then.. they just all died before I could get to the other side... saw like 40 ghosts/souls/whatever start flying into the air. Horrific sight. I just turned the game off after that, lol.

This is my first Pikmin game, and I'm on like Day 5. Still lots to learn. Question about the replaying days system this game has. So like is there a limit? If I'm on like Day 10 (just an example), could I go back as far as Day 3 or 4 to play again? Or can you only replay the last few days? Just not sure how it all works.

Shengar

I just killed like 50 Pikmin by accident... I whistled to most of my Pikmin from across a body of water thinking they would go around to get to me, but they all started to swim... Then they started to cry/freak out and make ungody noises. The more I whistled at them, the more they tried to swim, and then.. they just all died before I could get to the other side... saw like 40 ghosts/souls/whatever start flying into the air. Horrific sight. I just turned the game off after that, lol.

This is my first Pikmin game, and I'm on like Day 5. Still lots to learn. Question about the replaying days system this game has. So like is there a limit? If I'm on like Day 10 (just an example), could I go back as far as Day 3 or 4 to play again? Or can you only replay the last few days? Just not sure how it all works.

There isn't limit to replay, so you can try as many as you want, like if you ended up too many Pikmin killed or don't do enough thing for that day.

Just beat the game a few minutes ago!

My tally:

Poor Pikmin... I killed quite a few. :p Honestly, the final boss alone killed like 70 of my Pikmin - I was just terrible at avoiding his attacks even with the dodge move.

So.. my thoughts on the game. This is actually my first Pikmin game, so some of the references were kind of lost on me. I knew that Captain Olimar had been the protagonist in the previous games, so it was
cool to see him make a return in this game, albeit as a nonplayable character.

Anyways, looking back, I always thought the Pikmin games would not be something I would enjoy - I'm not sure why, but just watching videos... it didn't look appealing. But when I got my Wii-U last year, I picked up this game based on a recommendation from a friend. I was very weary about it as I hate wasting money on games I'm not sure I'll finish. The whole time limit aspect was a big turn off to me (same reason why I'm not a big fan of Majora's Mask), but the way it's handled here was not a problem at all. I had like 64 juices left over at the end of the game, so I was never really worried or concerned about running out of the time. And all my progress was kept - even on bosses! - when the day ended.

So with my biggest fear squashed, I could enjoy the game at a leisurely pace and explore as much as I wanted. It was awesome! The environments are breathtakingly beautiful and fun to navigate (creating shortcuts, finding a new route somewhere, etc.) and oddly enough, collecting all the fruit in each level was addicting. When they first introduced the concept of controlling 3 different characters and multitasking, I got a little overwhelmed by what all this could mean, and I wasn't sure if I'd do it often. But as I got better and understood more and more about the game, it was pretty exciting to send another person (or two) and get something else done while I was working on progressing the level. Then meeting back up with fruit and access to the boss at the end of the day was really satisfying. The bosses were really fun and creative - I liked how the final boss made use of every Pikmin type (it was pretty challenging for me, too).

The timer on that screenshot I posted isn't really accurate because I restarted Days a lot - especially toward the beginning when I was still learning the game. I wanted to get as much done as I could and then restart to try to improve and form better strategies. The "Daily Log" on Wii-U says I played Pikmin 3 for 18+ hours which is a little more accurate. I collected all the fruit and all the secret files. I somehow missed two suit upgrades, but I'll get those later.

So.. yeah, I loved the game. One of the best surprises in a longggg time. I need to go back and redo my Top 10 list for 2013 and put this game on there. :) Oh and... Wiimote+Nunchuk >>>> Gamepad! xD

I also
----

Oh, question for those who can answer. So let's say I want to replay this game further on down the road. On the screen showing all the Days that you can replay, if I go back to the first one, it says "New". Does it erase my old saves? Or does it start a whole new save progress? I don't want to overwrite what I did last time - it'd be fun to keep it. Not sure if this is possible, though. I wish the game had save files like Zelda does.

BuzzJive

I only need 2 more platinums on the last two battle enemies boards. I will feel kinda empty once I complete them, though I suppose I could try to challenge the leaderboards (the scores on there are absurd though). The DLC we got was above and beyond what I WAS originally expecting, but now I want more. MORE DLC!

Top Bottom