• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

There really is no point in asking customer support why their global president in Japan didn't interview his general manager about a game.

You are right, of course. It's not really about Pikmin 3 though. It just seems weird that they skipped over it when there is an Iwata Asks for every Nintendo related game and device and service. I suppose it's one of the many questions that can only be answered with "Because Nintendo."

BuzzJive

I got all 15 platinums on both collecting and battling now (not the bosses - I'm not a big fan). I checked my activity log and it shows nearly 74 hours of play time. I know 1 hour was me playing multiplayer with my 7 year old, and 1 hour was probably just paused, but I was generally pretty good about not leaving it running when I wasn't there.

So yeah - 72ish hours to clear out story mode (just one playthrough) and get 30 platinums in mission mode. It didn't feel like that long, but it was broken up over several months now.

daripad

Just played the first two days and mas this game has so much potential. Specially the map is a very helpful tool, I'm glad that the gamepad is a perfect fit for this game.

And I don't get the initial dissapointment about the graphics in this game, it looks gorgeous and I feel like I'm in a huge garden, I love it!

I just finished all the DLC mission modes with a platinum medals. I really enjoyed the mission modes, really extended the game for me. Over 80 hours on Pikmin, and it was a great game throughout!

one_kill

With the MK8 deal happening, I was thinking of getting this game over The Wonderful 101. Just a question though, is this game beginner friendly? I haven't played a Pikmin game before and I feel quite intimidated with what I've seen.

NEO0MJ

With the MK8 deal happening, I was thinking of getting this game over The Wonderful 101. Just a question though, is this game beginner friendly? I haven't played a Pikmin game before and I feel quite intimidated with what I've seen.

They do a good making you understand the game slowly and by example so you'll understand how to play it pretty well by the time you get to the tougher missions.

dc89

When I got the game back at launch I did not have the time to give it the attention it deserved. So I finally got round to playing it, what a brilliant game this is. I'm on Day 9, I haven't found Captain Charlie yet :/

I just spend too much time gawping at the scenery.

When I got the game back at launch I did not have the time to give it the attention it deserved. So I finally got round to playing it, what a brilliant game this is. I'm on Day 9, I haven't found Captain Charlie yet :/

I just spend too much time gawping at the scenery.

It's a masterpiece.

mantidor

I finished it recently because the last stages in 3D World were making me insane and I remembered I had abandon this little game.

Masterpiece is the accurate description, it's subtle message about extinction and resource consumption also hit me in the head hard, specially because Cosmos was talking about the same thing not long ago.

dc89

Just beat the boss on Tropical Wilds.
I'm addicted to this game.

zlCfzR9XNesLGJYPhu

zlCfzR9XN9AIpXpn3t

I should have done browser screen shots but ahh well, they are from my Miiverse.

Feel free to add me on the WiiU by the way. Stiss89

Question to those with the update.

How exactly the new controls work?

i've seen the touch controls playing on the tv so im wondering if in off tv play you just throw Pikmin by tapping in the screen and they land in that exact place.

Fireblend

Banned
Finally decided I can't leave this game collecting dust any longer, and promised myself I won't buy MK8 until I beat it.

Loving it so far.

Totakeke

Got the game with the MK8 promo, started the game up and I'm now on Day 8. It seems like the default control scheme now is the stylus and I've only used it so far. It feels really natural on the gamepad except for the positioning of the touchscreen buttons like the dismiss/charge close to the left hand instead of my right hand holding the stylus. I can't really imagine playing it with other control schemes... Except the stylus is bad playing on the big screen. You move your stylus around trying to see where it corresponds to on the screen while on gamepad-only, where you point is where it actually is.

I don't mind playing it gamepad-only, it's really relaxing that way. But I wish that I have an option to not pause the game while I bring up the map so I can really play it tactical-like except when I have to go into battles.

Is there a way to tell if your other groups are under attack while you're managing a different group before your Pikmins start dying?

Totakeke

Usually it's too late then though from what I've experienced. There should be some kind of danger ahead warning rather than warning only when they're being attacked and already scattered around. You also can't tell if there's enemies around just by looking at the map, right?

maxcriden

Usually it's too late then though from what I've experienced. There should be some kind of danger ahead warning rather than warning only when they're being attacked and already scattered around. You also can't tell if there's enemies around just by looking at the map, right?

I don't think you can, although I haven't played the game in several months. As for the control scheme question, I haven't tried the stylus controls (except in the Nintendo Land Pikmin game where they worked really well!) but I think the general consensus on GAF is that when playing on the big screen at least, the Wiimote + Nunchuk is the ideal control scheme, using the GamePad map as an assist tool to have next to you.

mantidor

Nope.

I think they thought it would make things too easy, part of the gameplay is to keep you on edge because you don't know what is coming.

mantidor

Sorry for double post but I have a question, I left two grapes behind because sunset came, however the counter says I got all fruit on the area, should I go back and get the two grapes, or it's not necessary?

Just got to the first boss. Pretty fun game so far. My only complaint so far is the time limit since I like exploring.

You know that you don't have to return to the ship at the end of each day, right? As long as all Pikmin are under control of a captain, they are safe. At dawn, there is a counter that shows the number of endangered Pikmin.

Also, bosses retain their health so you can finish them the next day.

This may be a really stupid question but how do you access a main menu or properly quit out of the game?? I just wasted a fruit on day 3 trying to end the day to get to some kind of main menu screen. I don't see an option in the spaceship or on land when I pause.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm on day 10 at the moment and I'm really enjoying this game. I think I'm liking it even more than SMBU and MK8.

So the general consensus is Gamepad with stylus is better to play on the Gamepad, and Wiimote + Nunchuck is better for the big screen ?

I really need to experiment with the different control options. Right now I'm doing Gamepad + Wiimote/Nunchuck. It's getting kind of annoying having to look over at the gamepad screen and to use it for the map. I just can't find a comfortable way to hold all these controllers at the same time lol

Celegus

I couldn't get used to the Gamepad controls at all (on TV, not sure how it is all on Gamepad), but I do like the Wiimote + Nunchuk and just use the Gamepad as the map basically. I play standing and just plopped the Gamepad up on the shelf for easy access.

Enjoying this magnificent game, decided to take a look at OT (I'm trying to avoid any spoilers etc) and...
You know that you don't have to return to the ship at the end of each day, right? As long as all Pikmin are under control of a captain, they are safe. At dawn, there is a counter that shows the number of endangered Pikmin.

Mind=Blown!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Enjoying this magnificent game, decided to take a look at OT (I'm trying to avoid any spoilers etc) and...

Mind=Blown!

Yeah, that's one of the "Aha!" moments that happened to most of us. Being a day 1 buyer (and player) I found out about this somewhere in the middle of the campaign. And that reminds me that I still should try that "no deaths" run.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah I was surprised that you didn't have to manually return to the ship by the end of the day too. I wouldn't have known that without coming to the thread. I also wouldn't have known that you can really take your time if you want to.

Like I kept thinking I might miss something if the game's progression were based on the number of days I was taking to do something.

Just had the pleasure of acquiring this with MK8 - and as I suspected, I'm completely absorbed by it. For me this might be the nicest experience in the next gen yet. Absolutely wonderful visuals in every sense (art, technical, effects - just staggering), really nicely laid out control scheme that builds on prior entries, and some great new additions to the series in general.

Love, love, love. Nintendo, you're doing some truly wonderful things with the WiiU. I hope you can eventually communicate that to people.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I was loving this game... until the golden blob thing. Fuck that, it's really killing my love of this game. I want this level to be over with NOW!x

EDIT: ....aaaannnnnddd fuck this boss. Seriously cannot beat this level soon enough.

FAKE EDIT 2: THIS IS THE LAST PART OF THE GAME? WTF PIKMIN 3?!?!?!

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I was loving this game... until the golden blob thing. Fuck that, it's really killing my love of this game. I want this level to be over with NOW!x

EDIT: ....aaaannnnnddd fuck this boss. Seriously cannot beat this level soon enough.

FAKE EDIT 2: THIS IS THE LAST PART OF THE GAME? WTF PIKMIN 3?!?!?!

Try the missions.

Celegus

Try the missions.

I just started those too, after being pretty bewildered that that was actually the last mission. Don't get me wrong, the game was a lot of fun, but I really didn't think that was the end. I didn't gather up all the fruit since I didn't see much of a point, but I could go back and do that or keep going with the missions. It looks like there's a ton of them! (or do you have to buy most of the locked ones?)

Sagitario

I just started those too, after being pretty bewildered that that was actually the last mission. Don't get me wrong, the game was a lot of fun, but I really didn't think that was the end. I didn't gather up all the fruit since I didn't see much of a point, but I could go back and do that or keep going with the missions. It looks like there's a ton of them! (or do you have to buy most of the locked ones?)
Huh? The exploration, battling, time management perhaps.

Celegus

Huh? The exploration, battling, time management perhaps.

I meant in terms of the fail-state of running out of juice. I had plenty of juice the whole time, similar to how you end up with 99 lives in every Mario game. I did plan on going back once I collected all the different types of pikmin and exploring some more just for fun, but the game pretty much ended right after getting the blue pikmin. I thought there would be more areas and then it was just over. I think my run was 24 days long, so yeah, I missed a good bit of exploring that I'll have to go back to.

Socreges

Banned
I've been all about the fruit. Exploring inch of the world has been the best part of the game for me and the second best is finding a way to get every piece of fruit back in the shortest amount of time possible.

Some of the obstacles in getting fruit are genius, too. Really where the game shines the brightest at times.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It looks like there's a ton of them! (or do you have to buy most of the locked ones?)

I don't remember exactly, but I think there are 5 free per each mode (treasury, enemies, bosses) + 2 more free (1 for each DLC) per mode (except bosses). But the DLC missions are really worth it (especially the last one).

Siaynoqq

Amazing game and easily the best Pikmin yet. Really hope Nintendo stays with the series.

I thought the time management system was a great compromise between the first two games. Finding that balance between how much time to spend gathering fruit versus how much time to spend advancing in the game never got too stressful but always kept you on your toes.

d_escudero

Neo Member
I collected all the fruit some days ago. Really good game, and multitasking with the gamepad it so simple.
I only wish it was longer, and had more collectibles like Pikmin 2 (...and caves/dungeons, they were so challenging)
My six year old sister loved the game, I'm starting with her Pikmin 1.

Llyranor

Just started the game yesterday (got it from MK8 promo). Only did the first 2 days, but already it's given me a glimpse of the game's potential. Splitting up into teams, each with their own taskforce of Pikmin, trying to optimize the exploration for the day. I like the idea of sunlight being a time limit, creates a sense of urgency and tension that forces you to be efficient.

The Pikmin are adorable, too! So are the voices, haha

If I'm enjoying this, is it worth going back to Pikmin1/2(Wii) afterwards?

Top Bottom