• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3 |OT| Starvation, Slavery, and Savage Creatures in a Cute, Colorful Package

39 days, 15:14 on the game clock.

i remember when i beat pikmin 2, and i was sure they would continue the franchise. sales, while not super high, were good enough for a sequel, and it had certainly was a better game than its predecessor. i can't believe it took nine years to get a sequel.

and now that it has come and gone, i think it's a satisfying end to the series. while pikmin 3 plays more similarly to pikmin 2 than the first, all three games are very different in how they approach strategy. knowing how nintendo has mixed up each game substantially, i would wonder just how a pikmin 4 would shake things up.

kudos to nintendo for making good use of the gamepad with this game too. it's not life-changing, but it is fairly integral to planning out successful days, and very easy to interface with. aside from that, the presentation of receiving transmissions from other crew members was a very nice touch.

and it's such a bizarre title. adorable and frightening at the same time. a big adventure on a small scale. i had forgotten so much about what i loved about this series. i am sad to see it go if this is the end, but i am so glad we had at least one more pikmin. it was worth the wait.

*sniff*

Why's it gotta end?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
just got a Wii U. I want to pick this game up, is the wiimote still the best way to play? no gamepad?

The wiimote is the best way to play, but you need the gamepad for the map (and sending the captains to different locations). But you can play also just with the gamepad, it works nice, my girlfriend actually prefer that way when we do co-op. Just that the wiimote is more precise with aiming (but way worse with the camera)

GimMick

Trying the new DLC right now. This time it seems the stages in which the challenges take place are the same as in Story Mode : the first free challenge is in Tropical Wilds !

MegalonJJ

Banned
Did the new dlc come with a new patch of some kind?

Anyone know what the patch did? (It had installed already when I turned on the console).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anyone know what the patch did? (It had installed already when I turned on the console).

The same as last time, the patch added the free bonus level.

I tried the missions 6 and 7 in co-op and they are really great. More than a rehash of the previous missions.

Layell

I have enjoyed all the DLC so far, although I have only done 2 of the newest maps I am so far impressed with how much they've packed in. Though I always did prefer the treasure maps over the monster ones. Sometimes it's hard to tell if they balanced this or just threw in a ton of elements just to see if anyone could 100% (Silver Lake Remix I'm looking at you!). Of the little co-op I've managed to play we've been able to come up with some great multitasking strats to get everything in the map.

Now all we need is a NSMB Luigi like mode with Olimar, Louie and the Boss in their own campaign with the return of Purple and White in story mode, maybe a remix boss or two.

Fabrik

Banned
Cool another DLC! I spent hours with the last one. Best 2€ I've spent this year.
Amazing how Nintendo manages to make old stages interesting again by just adding new twists and different enemy types and location. That shows just how strong the core gameplay is. Game design masters.

Sanic

So uh I've lost all of my Pikmin three times now on the final boss...

I have him down to a sliver of health. He's launching three of his cubes out but I can only ever get to two, and after the first time this phase of the fight occurs I lose 2/3 of my Pikmin, essentially ending the fight.

Tips please?

D-e-f-

Banned
So uh I've lost all of my Pikmin three times now on the final boss...

I have him down to a sliver of health. He's launching three of his cubes out but I can only ever get to two, and after the first time this phase of the fight occurs I lose 2/3 of my Pikmin, essentially ending the fight.

Tips please?

Use more skill? I don't know. Depends on what you're actually doing or not doing. Are you using the evade roll? Are you still attacking the thing while dealing with the cubes? Are you splitting your Pikmin up among three captains? Are you managing them wisely? Are you using the power-up spray/gel thingy to make your Pikmin stronger?

Sanic

Use more skill?

Well, yes :p.

I finished it. Somebody elsewhere online suggested only using
Rock Pikmin
, and that worked. They're immune to all attacks, and I only lost about 20 of them throughout the fight.

In total I lost nearly 1000 Pikmin with more than half of that coming from the final area. What a rush. Game was really good, but that final area was something else.

Oidisco

So does anybody else think the new DLC is ridiculously hard? I've platinumed almost every single mission before this, but I can't even get a gold medal on these new missions.

I actually kinda love it!

boxter432

Finally played it this weekend. Had gotten it from gamefly earlier in the week but the disc didn't load got a replacement and it worked.
Had only played a few minutes of NPC pikmin years ago.
Really enjoying it more than I thought I would. Hearing Alph say "Pikmin" makes me smile every time... The game is full of so much charm it is ridiculous. I have only played with the game pad so far ( love the map and "go here" feature) and will use the wii mote this week. Have stocked up decently on juice and am at the sand boss.

D-e-f-

Banned
I have only played with the game pad so far ( love the map and "go here" feature) and will use the wii mote this week.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Wiimote/Nunchuk PLUS the GamePad is what makes this game shine. You get superior controls with the Wiimote and just use your index or middle finger to interact with the touch screen map. It's how this game wants and needs to be played.

Oidisco

I finally got to some Gold Medals on this damn Battle Enemies DLC. I really hope that they keep putting out DLC for the game cos so far its been great.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New DLC available on 2nd of December in EU. 8 new missions (not reused level, new designed ones): 4 fruit collection + 4 battle

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Here is the video of the DLC announcement.

Edit: images of the stages too

wiiu_pikmin3_dlc3_scr3soj0.png

wiiu_pikmin3_dlc3_scrc6rri.png

wiiu_pikmin3_dlc3_scrhprvh.png

wiiu_pikmin3_dlc3_scrl4rbn.png

BuzzJive

I wasn't expecting DLC so soon - let alone completely new levels and some gameplay tweaks. I'm so happy with this news. My wife might not be quite so happy, as I was pretty obsessed with getting those platinums on that last batch of DLC...

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm lucky, my girlfriend is even more obsessed than me with those platinum. Well, sort of, I get less time to play. lol
Luckily the co-op is so great that first we get the platinums in co-op before anything else.

leroidys

Wow the Garden of Hope Remix stage is hard. Usually I'm getting one or two short enemies of a Platinum in any level, but for this one I am barely getting more than half.

Build 3 bridges, kill 4 snagrets and seeral bulblax's in 7 minutes?

It's my first Pikmin game (seriously, I don't know why) and it's one of the most beautiful and charming games I've ever played. The music, gameplay, visuals....everything is just gorgeous.
I'm currently on day 39 (last level I suppose) and I don't want it to end. I've already tried three missions (mission mode) and they are awesome.

WiiU_screenshot_TV_012BE_zps94339d6e.jpg

WiiU_screenshot_TV_012BE_zpsbdf70a50.jpg

WiiU_screenshot_TV_012BE_zps3d79d5f3.jpg

leroidys

It's my first Pikmin game (seriously, I don't know why) and it's one of the most beautiful and charming games I've ever played. The music, gameplay, visuals....everything is just gorgeous.
I'm currently on day 39 (last level I suppose) and I don't want it to end. I've already tried three missions (mission mode) and they are awesome.

Welcome to the party. Mission mode is, IMO, amazing, and very well illustrates just how well this game is made. They basically take a cross section of 3 or 4 elements (rock pikmin, flying pikmin, white candy pops) and make a really solid challenge of it.

You know a game is well made when you can take arbitrary cross sections of content and everything still works together beautifully.

jnWake

I started playing this game yesterday.

Man, the title screen is so good. The music is so relaxing and pretty...

I have only played Pikmin 2 before this one, but I'm loving it. Game looks incredible (much better than Pikmin 2!) and the characters are fun. I like the conversations they have in the ship. The dialogue about oxygen amused me, the fact that they even put "scientific explanations" to why they are so small is cool.

JoeM86

The new DLC is live in Europe for £4.49.

The new patch is also live, with the special Christmas level. It's beautiful

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The new DLC is live in Europe for £4.49.

The new patch is also live, with the special Christmas level. It's beautiful

Cool, I'll ask my girlfriend to download it, so tonight we will have the tough decision of werther to play the new missions to platinum or play 3d World.

My first trip through any new DLC stage always feel so fumbling, the Festive Fortress or whatever they called the Christmas stage had me wandering around making minimal progress for like the first 5 minutes.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
My first trip through any new DLC stage always feel so fumbling, the Festive Fortress or whatever they called the Christmas stage had me wandering around making minimal progress for like the first 5 minutes.

Yeah, it was very confusing first time playing, trying to discover what is where (even if there is a map there) and where you need two or three captains. But it's a very cool mission.

D-e-f-

Banned
Isn't that what Mission mode is all about? Learning all the maps, then mastering them? Of course you're gonna wander around aimlessly the first time.

Isn't that what Mission mode is all about? Learning all the maps, then mastering them? Of course you're gonna wander around aimlessly the first time.

It sure is, it's just that some of these DLC maps seem even more complex in structure than the norm, not that it's a bad thing at all.

I wish I could use the camera in mission mode, some of these new areas provide nice new environments to take shots in.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It sure is, it's just that some of these DLC maps seem even more complex in structure than the norm, not that it's a bad thing at all.

My impression was that the Fortress of Festivity is the largest map yet. At list in terms of no. of steps needed.

I wish I could use the camera in mission mode, some of these new areas provide nice new environments to take shots in.

This is the first time I noticed you can't use it in missions. That's too bad. I still managed some nice pictures.

jnWake

While you guys enjoy the DLC I'm finishing my first run of the game.

The
fifth boss (Quaggled Mireclops)
was brutal, I lost probably 40 Pikmin to it. It was quite easy to get Pikmin crushed in that battle. So far it's the only boss that has caused a lot of deaths, the
fourth boss (Scornet Maestro)
was also tricky but I only lost about 15 Pikmin to it.

Incredible game so far. I wish there were more areas though, it's just so fun to discover stuff and battle bosses.

Xun

Is the free Christmas level going to get taken down at some point? I'll need to pop Pikmin 3 back in soon and download it...

D-e-f-

Banned
Is the free Christmas level going to get taken down at some point? I'll need to pop Pikmin 3 back in soon and download it...

It's part of a game update that enables support for the respective DLC. They can't take it down. The free levels aren't DLC you buy on the eShop.

Also: Why would they take down that stuff?!

daakusedo

When I thought I'll clear the christmas level I found out I was missing a yellow pikmin to get the elevated fruit near the ship and forgot the banana on top of the gifts.
So many times I had to change my strategy for this level, it's haunting.

Now it would be launch two captains to get red pik on top of the gifts, go take the blue ones with the remaining captain, going back to the two captain, launching one over the purple pik, rolling back on the gifts to launch the other captain to the last red pik, then beginning breaking the central wall, I don't know if I break the one near the water.
If i do I could get the fruits behind the electricity wall as soon as it's destroyed but I don't know if it's better to just wait for the flying pikmin to carry the bamboo door and then the other fruits on the way are pushed in the same time.

Generally, the goal is to get all the big fruits on the path quick to then use flying pik on the grapes and gold near the closed bamboo door, then the materials on the other side are small enough that the pikmin can go through the geyser instead of the door.
Then clearing everything near the ship and fighting THE PIZZA MONSTER.

Shengar

Just bought this game alongside my new Wii U. Really liking it so far, the gameplay remind of Overlord but with much greater control and gameplay design overall. I would like to asked if its possible to get stuck if you messed up at too many missions and forced to replay from several days ago. It'll sucks if its true, and I try to get as many thing as I can every level. Only the problem is I don't know the measure if I get the best or not D:

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Just bought this game alongside my new Wii U. Really liking it so far, the gameplay remind of Overlord but with much greater control and gameplay design overall. I would like to asked if its possible to get stuck if you messed up at too many missions and forced to replay from several days ago. It'll sucks if its true, and I try to get as many thing as I can every level. Only the problem is I don't know the measure if I get the best or not D:

The only way to get stuck is to remain without fruits and that's the game over. In that case you probably will need to go several days back to replay.
But generally this is not an issue except for a particular part of the game.

Top Bottom