• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3's Opening

Cbajd5

Oh God, I so badly want
Olimar to go Colonel Kurtz on everyone. That would be awesome. Beard Olimar.

Okay I found some real Olimar related spoilers here:

Louie is in the game. And the new captains think he's Olimar. (At least when they first see him? I don't know Japanese, but they actually say "Captain Olimar".)

They talk about him on the ship while he's passed out, they land, and he runs off and explodes.

Also here's a a twelve hour stream where I got this from. It happens towards the end.

KarmaCow

If I've never played pikmin should I play the 1st two or will it not really matter?

What Nintendo game have you played where you needed to play the previous entries to get into the most recent game?

Honest question, I'm trying to think of some.

Darryl

Banned
If I've never played pikmin should I play the 1st two or will it not really matter?

if you want to, but it's a nintendo game so you probably won't be missing out on much. it's kinda weird that they stuck a numbered title on such a big release.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
pikmin, one leader

pikmin 2, two leaders

pikmin 3, three leaders

That cant be a coincidence.

Mario Kart 7 also features the "7 roulette" power up.

Mario Kart 8 has an anti-gravity figure-8 course that's worked into the logo of the game.

Seems Nintendo is trying to work some Japanese-style wordplay into game titles, even in English.

Darryl

Banned
Mario Kart 7 also features the "7 roulette" power up.

Mario Kart 8 has an anti-gravity figure-8 course that's worked into the logo of the game.

Seems Nintendo is trying to work some Japanese-style wordplay into game titles, even in English.

could be why luigi's mansion 2 was renamed when it came over here, the 2 doesn't really have much to do with anything

morikaze

Banned

Play 3 first and the others later. You should have an interesting view point on things that way considering no one has ever done that yet. Every possible experience is meant to be experienced so there's nothing to be ashamed of. Go for it!

thefit

Is the wiipad and nunchuk the main controller again? Are you kidding me nintendo your again just going to ignore gamepad with some novelty use.

ohlawd

Hey, I'd love to try it out, it's just that I have a huge backlog across multiple platforms that is only going to increase with the Steam Sale!

I have a crapload of Wii U games on my list though...Pikmin 3 just isn't one of them.

It's not like this game will suddenly stop existing doe.

Is the wiipad and nunchuk the main controller again? Are you kidding me nintendo your again just going to ignore gamepad with some novelty use.

This game uses the Pad, the Pro and the best, Wiimote and nunchuck.

And why wouldn't you use the Nunchuck and wiimote? It was the best way to play Pikmin 1 and 2.

It's not like this game will suddenly stop existing doe.

This game uses the Pad, the Pro and the best, Wiimote and nunchuck.

And why wouldn't you use the Nunchuck and wiimote? It was the best way to play Pikmin 1 and 2.

Well I meant it's not on my Wii U list of games for this year, so yes I could get it at some point in the future.

thefit

Well there is a glimmer of hope for you all in my home I have kids and they'll probably want it but if they do ask for it its going to be when its like a bomb sale or something.

Randdalf

Wow, the character and object shading in this game is fantastic. It's a pity about the noticeably polygonal environments.

Cbajd5

Well there is a glimmer of hope for you all in my home I have kids and they'll probably want it but if they do ask for it its going to be when its like a bomb sale or something.

Don't you know Nintendo games with any amount of success don't go on sale.

You sound crazy talking about bomb sales on this...

Darryl

Banned
Don't you know Nintendo games with any amount of success don't go on sale.

You sound crazy talking about bomb sales on this...

could probably find a 3 for 2 deal sometime soon, with wii u sales low deals like that are inevitable. probably not gonna get it much cheaper than that.

thefit

Can you elaborate more on your post? I don't know what to make of it. What do you mean by soft graphics? And how is it going to bomb?

Well here's my take on the graphics, its a cutesy Miyamoto game I get it but the low poly last gen character models look like they are walking on pictures of a floor printed on poster paper. I mean they didn't even bother to add foot traffic animation on the snow or wet footprints when that character walks out of the water to land no even water drips on the character. Lazy

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Well here's my take on the graphics, its a cutesy Miyamoto game I get it but the low poly last gen character models look like they are walking on pictures of a floor printed on poster paper. I mean they didn't even bother to add foot traffic animation on the snow or wet footprints when that character walks out of the water to land no even water drips on the character. Lazy

I suppose dealing with decals for 100 pikmin all stampeding over the terrain at the same time might have been a bit tricky.

Despite the game's ground textures suffering for development having started for the Wii, there's actually a hell of a lot of quality visual details in the game: shadows, lighting, depth of field, animation, reflections, impressive water, weather, and spreading fire effects. Etc.

But there's already been a ton of bitching over the graphics, to be sure. Some people see the ground textures and say it's crap, others look at the entire rest of the game. It could have used AA however.

SteelYoshi

Neo Member
Never played a pikmin game before but this looks great.
I really hope it's release boosted sales in japan, I'm really becoming worried about the state of the wii u.

Well, at least the games a masterpiece. Good enough for me.

I'm really looking forward to this game despite never playing the previous titles. Just need to decide if I should download it or buy a physical copy. It looks pretty incredible.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thank you Nintendo for skipping GCN and Wii for this. Looks increible. Can't wait (actually I still need 20 parts in the first game and to actually beat NPC pikmin 2. DOH!!!!)(

Bullza2o

Didn't finish Pikmin 1 and never played 2, but I'm stoked for this!

Must resist watching the videos! If only NoA made the release date July :(

I can already tell i'm going to be watching a Let's Play of this game when it comes out. I don't want to buy a Wii U at $350.

They really need to drop the deluxe to 300 and the basic to 250. Especially with the ps4 being 400.

I have a feeling they are milking it until the next two consoles hit.

350 + 25 in tax is very unappealing to play pikmin 3.

Top Bottom