• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pikmin 3's Opening

Exile20

I can already tell i'm going to be watching a Let's Play of this game when it comes out. I don't want to buy a Wii U at $350.

I feel sorry for you. Playing a Pikmin game and feeling connected to the characters is what Pikmin is all about. This isn't a corridor shooter, decisions you make each day plays a huge role in the game.

I can't wait to get my hands on it and play it for myself.

Plus I hate when people say " I am not buying a Wii U for one game" There are many more games available.

I feel sorry for you. Playing a Pikmin game and feeling connected to the characters is what Pikmin is all about. This isn't a corridor shooter, decisions you make each day plays a huge role in the game.

I can't wait to get my hands on it and play it for myself.

Plus I hate when people say " I am not buying a Wii U for one game" There are many more games available.

I've played both Pikmin 1 and 2 and actually just recently (This last week) replayed Pikmin 2 and collected every treasure. And after that I watched Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 Let's plays on youtube. When you watch someone who's good, it's fun.

Yes, I do want to play Pikmin 3 one day. What I'm saying is I don't know if I'm strong willed enough not to watch a Let's Play before I pick up a Wii U. Seeing as how I'm not about to buy a one. (Just bought a PS3 this week for TLOU.)

And no where did I say 'this one game'. Wonderful 101 looks cool, Lego City looks fun, SSB U will be great. Wii U has games, but not enough to justify the entry price right now IMO.

Mistle

I can't believe people actually watch Lets Play videos in substitute for playing the game. Really makes no sense to me.

Like I'm not gonna buy a PS4 anytime soon, but I'm also not going to watch the launch games instead of playing them. (Though with the cinematic games its probably not much different)

I can't believe people actually watch Lets Play videos in substitute for playing the game. Really makes no sense to me.

Like I'm not gonna buy a PS4 anytime soon, but I'm also not going to watch the launch games instead of playing them. (Though with the cinematic games its probably not much different)

I've only watched two Let's Plays and honestly before I did, I didn't think it would be fun at all. In fact I had the same thoughts you have. But then again I have played both Pikmin 1 and 2, so it's not like I 'ruined' the game for myself.

Like I said, I don't have a Wii U but I REALLY want Pikmin 3. I've been watching youtube analysis videos over the last few months. Probably one of my favorite Nintendo franchises. So what I'm saying is I don't think I'm strong willed enough to wait till xmas/Wii U price drop before I need some Pikmin 3 in my life.

I can already tell i'm going to be watching a Let's Play of this game when it comes out. I don't want to buy a Wii U at $350.

This could work with many modern games, but you are not really getting anything out of a Let's Play of this game or most Nintendo games for that matter.

Edit: ^^Fair enough.

KrawlMan

I watched my roommate play through Last of Us over the last week or so. Nothing about the gameplay stood out as worth experiencing for myself, but the story, environments, etc were all worth seeing.

However, for Pikmin I just don't understand...

Exile20

I've played both Pikmin 1 and 2 and actually just recently (This last week) replayed Pikmin 2 and collected every treasure. And after that I watched Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 Let's plays on youtube. When you watch someone who's good, it's fun.

Yes, I do want to play Pikmin 3 one day. What I'm saying is I don't know if I'm strong willed enough not to watch a Let's Play before I pick up a Wii U. Seeing as how I'm not about to buy a one. (Just bought a PS3 this week for TLOU.)

And no where did I say 'this one game'. Wonderful 101 looks cool, Lego City looks fun, SSB U will be great. Wii U has games, but not enough to justify the entry price right now IMO.

Well hopefully by the end of the year that changes for you. The system has its issues but it is still great to have.

I wasn't going to watch the intro but I broke, but no more for me.

BD1

Banned
I don't know really know how to explain it, but that was just so Nintendo. HD production values with Nintendo charm.... amazing.

Haven't seen any gameplay until this thread, but I am totally on board. It looks so crisp and pleasant. I own the first two on GC, but never got around to playing them outside of a few hours each. Gonna just jump right into this one and have some fun. It just feels so charming.

Any impressions, cheesemeister?

It seems like the input for moving your Pikmin in a line with the C-Stick has been ditched in favor of camera rotation, a change I can't say I'm in favor of.

As for the game itself, I'm glad it forces you to think about teamwork between the captains, unlike Pikmin 2 in which it was completely optional. Objectives are laid out well. Lock-on is very handy against moving targets. The rock Pikmin are surprisingly useful so far, even if their use cases are contrived. But, that's a game for you.

Recommended!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Watching the gameplay now, the first thing I thought was that the graphic style resembles the subtle look of Blue Dragon.

I'm totally okay with this.

HoJu

It seems like the input for moving your Pikmin in a line with the C-Stick has been ditched in favor of camera rotation, a change I can't say I'm in favor of.

As for the game itself, I'm glad it forces you to think about teamwork between the captains, unlike Pikmin 2 in which it was completely optional. Objectives are laid out well. Lock-on is very handy against moving targets. The rock Pikmin are surprisingly useful so far, even if their use cases are contrived. But, that's a game for you.

Recommended!
Thanks.
So when using the gamepad, the right stick just moves the camera? Huh.

Exile20

Recommended!

This is just the cherry on top.

DjRoomba

Banned
Whats the logic behind calling this Pikmin 3 instead of Pikmin U?
Many like me have never played 1 or 2, even more haven't even heard of Pikmin. I definitely think the 3 will scare some people off. Its not like these games have any real story and this is the 3rd part in the epic trilogy.
Can they still change the name for the other releases?

Many like me have never played 1 or 2, even more haven't even heard of Pikmin. I definitely think the 3 will scare some people off. Its not like these games have any real story and this is the 3rd part in the epic trilogy.

Super Mario Bros. 3 scared everyone off, right?

Cbajd5

Because it's a sequel? I mean Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon did fine everywhere despite two territories calling it Luigi's Mansion 2.

Also (SPOILERS!)
Louie and Olimar are in this one, and the plot does turn to saving them after a while.

Someone's streaming it pretty far in now if anyone doesn't mind SPOILERS: http://www.twitch.tv/moruid

TheKyle07

That's why. Uninformed consumers tend to be more drawn to brands that are evidently established, not scared off by them.

Mariolee

Because it's a sequel? I mean Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon did fine everywhere despite two territories calling it Luigi's Mansion 2.

Also (SPOILERS!)
Louie and Olimar are in this one, and the plot does turn to saving them after a while.

Someone's streaming it pretty far in now if anyone doesn't mind SPOILERS: http://www.twitch.tv/moruid

Whoa what!? Is there a link to Olimar and Louie showing up in the main story?!

MarkusRJR

Wow this looks awesome. I still have to beat the first two though. I already have it preordered online so I better hurry up.

Does Pikmin 3 use the gyro or IR for the cursor? The latter is so much vastly superior it'd be a shame to force myself to use the Game Pad instead of Wiimote + nunchuck when playing this game.

Great. Just two more weeks. Skimmed through the gameplay a bit but i don't want to spoil too much.
Couple of visible jaggies here and there and low polycount, but it looks great.

Mistle

I've only watched two Let's Plays and honestly before I did, I didn't think it would be fun at all. In fact I had the same thoughts you have. But then again I have played both Pikmin 1 and 2, so it's not like I 'ruined' the game for myself.

Like I said, I don't have a Wii U but I REALLY want Pikmin 3. I've been watching youtube analysis videos over the last few months. Probably one of my favorite Nintendo franchises. So what I'm saying is I don't think I'm strong willed enough to wait till xmas/Wii U price drop before I need some Pikmin 3 in my life.
Yeah, that's cool! My comment wasn't directed at you specifically, the topic just made me think about it.

ASIS

Wow this looks awesome. I still have to beat the first two though. I already have it preordered online so I better hurry up.

Does Pikmin 3 use the gyro or IR for the cursor? The latter is so much vastly superior it'd be a shame to force myself to use the Game Pad instead of Wiimote + nunchuck when playing this game.
Not sure if it requires WM+, but it definitely uses it. Don't worry, if Nintendo Land is any indication it will be just as good as IR.

Cheesy, I watched more of your feed and I gotta say that was smart bringing only rock pikmin to fight that giant scorpion thing. I hope the next day you were able to go back and pick up everything!

Kid Ying

I've been playing today. Since it's my first Pikmin, it feels very fresh and got a little vibe "Nintendo from the old days". Very charming.

About the game, till now, didn't make anything useful. I'm on day 3 and it's been fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope its playable on the gamepad, don't particularly want to learn two control systems depending if I'm playing off-TV or not.

Ah, that's good to hear. I knew enemy damage did but wasn't sure about everything else. Have you had any more time to play the game? So far, how does it stand up to the other Pikmin games?

Not yet, but each area is clearly very replayable over the course of multiple days, with more sections to unlock as you gather Pikmin types. I can see this game taking up a lot of time. After playing Pikmin 2 on an HDTV for the past week, the graphics on Pikmin 3 should hold up much better. I haven't tried the rollback feature yet, but it may come in handy later. The only drawback in my eyes is the lack of moving with the right stick.

I hope its playable on the gamepad, don't particularly want to learn two control systems depending if I'm playing off-TV or not.

It can be played on the GamePad using the TV or off-TV, with the Classic Controller Pro, or with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

ASIS

Not yet, but each area is clearly very replayable over the course of multiple days, with more sections to unlock as you gather Pikmin types. I can see this game taking up a lot of time. After playing Pikmin 2 on an HDTV for the past week, the graphics on Pikmin 3 should hold up much better. I haven't tried the rollback feature yet, but it may come in handy later. The only drawback in my eyes is the lack of moving with the right stick.

It can be played on the GamePad using the TV or off-TV, with the Classic Controller Pro, or with the Wii Remote and Nunchuk.

Also, based on the vids the areas seem much, much, much bigger than before. With caves, tunnels, bridges, etc.

Can you confirm what fps this runs at? I'm assuming 60, but nothing has been recently confirmed. Thanks.

Oh, lovely. That's great to hear. Thank you, sir!

Top Bottom