• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity: Complete Edition Coming To PS4/XB1, Launching August 29

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
jesus christ almighty, this is beyond imagination of horrible. Why in gods name did paradox decide to do this if such travesty is the result? I mean this is literally making a port that doesnt work and isnt feasible just for the sake of porting. Phisically it can be done, but my god, look at that monstruosity

I have slight concerns about the inventory mgmt(not great on PC really either) and cursor use, but nothing about the control scheme looked to hinder playability or progression at any point in the video. In fact, the pace and procedures on display mirror my time in the first hour of the game on PC. So what are you prattling on about exactly?

pantsmith

Uh, sorry for the thread bump but was curious if anyone had spotted the pre-order avatars for ps4? Theyre mentioned on the store page but I have no idea if one of them is Eder or Durance (which seriously makes all of the difference).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck1Q9Ek5r-Q

jesus christ almighty, this is beyond imagination of horrible. Why in gods name did paradox decide to do this if such travesty is the result? I mean this is literally making a port that doesnt work and isnt feasible just for the sake of porting. Phisically it can be done, but my god, look at that monstruosity

Just watched this for a bit. Yeah, it doesn't look like really a good port for controller setup.

Everything seems like it's going to be a hassle to do after a while, from interacting with NPCs/objects, looting, to combat.

BlackJimmy

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to getting a chance to play this again since my PC died. I just hope this is successful enough to for them to import the sequel over, what with the save import feature and all.

The fact that it's not obsidian doing this and it involves introducing radial menus makes me think it's unlikely to come to pc?

Disappointing if so, I just prefer everything to be in the living room these days.

I should try the steam controller again, I tried it before with this game for like five minutes using obsidians config and thought it was really clunky. But a lot of people report good experiences using it with this game.
I asked on Twitter, no plans to bring controller support to the PC version.

That's disappointing. Divinity: Original Sin was patched with controller support when the console version launched.
Yeah and it was excellent. I get the impression that controller modes were planned from the outset with Divinity, not so with Pillars.

Mivey

Honestly, using the Steam Controller seems like a way more comfortable setup than what was shown in that video. So I really don't see why Obsidian should bother porting this, when instead they could focus on PoE2 and hopefully getting those engine improvements (like fixing the loading times) into the first Pillars game.

epmode

How about fixing the stutter I get every ~20 seconds regardless of what's happening onscreen? I've been posting about it since launch, hasn't ever been fixed. It's distracting as hell.

But I guess this isn't the thread for that.

Bizzquik

Seriously, this port needs some more videos up on the internet. There no hype; its like purposeful radio silence from all involved.

We're a week from launch, and its Gamescom week, too. Shouldn't there be hands-on sessions, a sizzle reel, interviews...something?

All we seem to have to go on is that IGN vid from E3 two months ago...

keuja

I have it on PC but will double dip for sure. Had a good experience with Divinity original Sin control on console so why not Pillars...

Donos

What. This is out in a few days on xb1/ps4? Ohhhhhhh.

Almost missed it. So far i enjoyed almost all the rpg ports to console except Wasteland 2 which had serious technical problems.

As someone who still has BG2+ToB as eternal GOAT on the list I'm looking forward to this.

Would have loved to play this on pc but my notebook would melt.

Staf

What. This is out in a few days on xb1/ps4? Ohhhhhhh.

Almost missed it. So far i enjoyed almost all the rpg ports to console except Wasteland 2 which had serious technical problems.

As someone who still has BG2+ToB as eternal GOAT on the list I'm looking forward to this.

Would have loved to play this on pc but my notebook would melt.

39bee4f33728e1f54402d858540d373c-weekend-update-high-five.gif

Labadal

I think this will be a mess with controls and sales will be low, and I'm saying that as an Obsidian fan, who wants their games to sell millions of copies. Torment, Wasteland 2 and and Divinity: Original Sin didn't seem to sell well on console. I don't see how this will.

I think this will be a mess with controls and sales will be low, and I'm saying that as an Obsidian fan, who wants their games to sell millions of copies. Torment, Wasteland 2 and and Divinity: Original Sin didn't seem to sell well on console. I don't see how this will.

Yup. This also looks like a poor port effort compared to Divinity OS.

Divinity OS port was a perfection, and yet console people still wouldn't budge at all.

It's just not their cup of tea.

Hammer24

Banned

Divinity OS port was a perfection, and yet console people still wouldn't budge at all.

I bought it, and was very happy with the quality of the port. Will get this one too.

Staf

Yeah probably true. It's a shame because Divinity: OS is one of my favorite PS4 games.

Durante

I have slight concerns about the inventory mgmt(not great on PC really either) and cursor use, but nothing about the control scheme looked to hinder playability or progression at any point in the video. In fact, the pace and procedures on display mirror my time in the first hour of the game on PC.
I'm sorry, but if that mirrors your experience on PC then you are bad at CRPG controls :p
It looked really rough to me.

Donos

Did D:O Sin sell that poor on PS4/XB1? Bought it. It was rather prominently placed in PSN, also when the sale for 24,99 € hit the store. Lots of gaffer showed interest in various threads (some members thought it would be like Diablo 3 :)

Ushay

I'm not sure why some of you are thinking this has poor controls, what specifically says that? Examples please.

Did D:O Sin sell that poor on PS4/XB1? Bought it. It was rather prominently placed in PSN, also when the sale for 24,99 € hit the store. Lots of gaffer showed interest in various threads (some members thought it would be like Diablo 3 :)

No idea how it sold, but I personally thought it was very well made game.

Durante

I'm not sure why some of you are thinking this has poor controls, what specifically says that?
I've looked at the video posted by Soulblighter31. Most things look clunky to me, from investigating the environment, over selecting battle actions and controlling multiple characters, even menu interactions.

It seems to work, and in principle allow everything you can do on PC, but it certainly doesn't look convenient or effective.

I'm not sure why some of you are thinking this has poor controls, what specifically says that? Examples please.

Look at the video in this topic. They took the most mouse and keyboard game on the market and just mollested it into consoles because paradox recently got the ideea it needs to branch into consoles even if it doesnt have any console game

No, it's like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

If you only played console games, it's like Dragon Age but good.

Oh shit. That sounds really goddamn good then. I'll be on the lookout for this.

Now looking at the gameplay video and it seems controlling the character won't be like DA though. Even on console with the cursor? Hmm, skeptical about that.

Dadasch

Yeah, probably.
I bought it near launch and had my fun for like 30 hours or so, but it gets pretty stale after a while. I'm usually interested in collecting the quests within the cities and villages, which played a pretty big role in Divinity OS. Dialogues were good, VO pretty great; other than that it was just ok for me.

Staf

Divinity: OS's combat is probably my favorite combat system in a console game ever. Either that or XCOM. Love it.

Anno

Someone asked for some general newcomers tips on the Pillars subreddit the other day. There's some good stuff in here for people looking to jump in for the first time next week.

Finally have justification to read through the first volume of the PoE guidebook and it's sitting in storage...bummer.

No idea how it sold, but I personally thought it was very well made game.

It's not very helpful in terms of raw numbers but Swen Vincke was on Axe of the Blood God a while back and mentioned that the console release did perform well for them.

Staf

It's not very helpful in terms of raw numbers but Swen Vincke was on Axe of the Blood God a while back and mentioned that the console release did perform well for them.

I really hope so because, 1. It's a awesome game and i really really want 2 on PS4 and 2. Swen seem like the coolest most sympathetic guy ever.

Bizzquik

Paradox posted this 50ish minute Gamescom video of them playing the console version. I only scrubbed through a bit but it looks like things are working okay.

Thanks for the link.
I was really impressed with what they did with the controller and UI.

I like that there are actually optional two ways to control the party: either steering the group directly via the analog stick, or pointing to specific points on the terrain via cursor and watching them follow (traditional mouse).

The UI is scaleable - and impressively big by default. Navigating the menu screen seemed intuitive. And the radial menu for direct character control made sense.

I'm convinced. I was looking for a reason to say 'yes' to this game due to its fantastic reputation on PC - and that vid did it for me. I pre-ordered on Xbox Live - rather than wait for a sale later - because I hope we continue to see this genre make its way to consoles...and first-week sales really matter in that regard.

danthefan

Cool, I'm not going to double dip but I hope it does really well on both consoles. It's a fine game. I got all the way to the last boss but couldn't kill him, stupid as that is.

Skeletron

Nice. I went in for $250 in the original Kickstarter but my laptop was never able to run it at anything past low settings. Got a signed box with all the extras lying around somewhere. I'm all PS4 now so I'll probably pick this up down the line. Gameplay looks smooth!

Top Bottom