• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity: Complete Edition Coming To PS4/XB1, Launching August 29

Durante

Thanks for the comparison.
My hope is Dragon Age: Origins, but on a much small budget of production values: essentially no cutscenes and very little voice acting. I hope the characters and story are close to being as good, that the world and factions are compelling, the player decisions are meaty, and the combat is passible.
It's a far better game than DA:O. (And I think DA:O was decent, easily the best DA)

Much better setting, better companions, better main story, far better quest design, and a good tactical battle system.

Rolf NB

Romance in a rpg is a great way to make you care about the characters. If you do care you can overlook a lot of things like a poor plot or boring companions.

Pillars really could have done with some romance.
That Bioware-brand of loyalty + romance is pure poison. 4 / 5 I've stopped playing their games because some relationship thing made my eyes roll so hard I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'm glad there's one more WRPG option without that. We're not exactly drowning in choices.

If anyone is interested, I'm probably going to stream the Xbox 1 version tomorrow. I'll try to stick to side-quests so as not to spoil much of the storyline. The letsplay/stream embargo actually ended on the 25th, so there's probably already footage of the console versions floating around.
Very disappointed at 30 fps will skip this port.

Lister

Banned
That Bioware-brand of loyalty + romance is pure poison. 4 / 5 I've stopped playing their games because some relationship thing made my eyes roll so hard I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'm glad there's one more WRPG option without that. We're not exactly drowning in choices.

Mass Effect Andromeda highlights this, with characters acting like hormonal teenagers. Some of the romance dialogue was cringe worthy in that game.

CloudWolf

I guess this thread explains why they're doing romances/relationships for Pillars of Eternity 2. Turns out that for some people not having them is a dealbreaker.

Seriously though, don't let the lack of romances keep you from buying this game, it's excellent. Probably my favorite modern cRPG.

Caelestis

So tempted to get this, but $50 with all the other games out this months. If only I wasn't trash with keyboard and mouse to play my steam copy. X.x

Altairre

It's a far better game than DA:O. (And I think DA:O was decent, easily the best DA)

Much better setting, better companions, better main story, far better quest design, and a good tactical battle system.

I played Pillars for about 10 - 15 hours and it just didn't click with me. I can recognize the effort that was put into it but neither the setting nor the writing struck me as particularly interesting and while I didn't dislike the combat, there was simply too much of it for my taste. Interestingly enough I also gave Tyranny a shot recently and was expecting a similar outcome but I ended up loving that game.

Anno

I played Pillars for about 10 - 15 hours and it just didn't click with me. I can recognize the effort that was put into it but neither the setting nor the writing struck me as particularly interesting and while I didn't dislike the combat, there was simply too much of it for my taste. Interestingly enough I also gave Tyranny a shot recently and was expecting a similar outcome but I ended up loving that game.

I think this is actually pretty common. The games are very different in terms of how they structure their world and narrative.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

If I were to ask you to rank how this game handles decision making and branching narrative consequences from 1 to 10, how much of a score do you think this game deserves?

Cornbread78

Nobody signed up to do a console OT, do you want to take a stab at it?

Lister

Banned
So tempted to get this, but $50 with all the other games out this months. If only I wasn't trash with keyboard and mouse to play my steam copy. X.x

Have you tried using the Steam Controller?

You might still have an issue with the size of the UI though, if you are sitting far from the TV. There is font scaling, but the UI doesn't scale much, I don't think.

Durante

If I were to ask you to rank how this game handles decision making and branching narrative consequences from 1 to 10, how much of a score do you think this game deserves?
Are we talking about an idealized ranking, or one where more than a handful of games score more than a 3?

Nobody signed up to do a console OT, do you want to take a stab at it?
tidus_laugh.gif

:p

(but seriously, I don't have the time)

If i really liked Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition would I like Pillars or are they nothing alike?

You might, but if you're like me and LOVED the freedom of D:OS, then Pillars is not anywhere close to that.

I think my issue was I tried to play Pillars too soon after completing D:OS, and was still high on it.

r3n4ud

Just preordered. I didn't get far in the pc version and loved what I played. Being able to play this with a controller sounds lovely!

Bane

I somehow missed this was even a thing, much less coming out tomorrow. Does it have co-op like Divinity did?

Sou Da

Not really.

More like modern 'TL:DR Syndrome"

Tyranny doesn't have any sort of "boring companions" issue but it does have the plot one, both Tyranny and PoE fall apart towards the end. Just a bunch of decisions being made and revelations revealed with no reason to care at all.

Also real nice shot you took me at there, don't think I didn't notice.

Cornbread78

Are we talking about an idealized ranking, or one where more than a handful of games score more than a 3?

tidus_laugh.gif

:p

(but seriously, I don't have the time)

Uggh, maybe I'll throw something together for console folks after lunch. It should take too long.

Did the GAF stuff still carry over to the console version?

Anno

If i really liked Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition would I like Pillars or are they nothing alike?

I think there's a large crossover appeal despite the two games having fairly different moment-to-moment gameplay. Pillars isn't nearly as freeform as Divinity in terms of its systems but it still offers very compelling tactical combat with a large variety of classes and builds. Its more narrative driven than Divinity as well.

I somehow missed this was even a thing, much less coming out tomorrow. Does it have co-op like Divinity did?

No co-op.

Armaros

Tyranny doesn't have any sort of "boring companions" issue but it does have the plot one, both Tyranny and PoE fall apart towards the end. Just a bunch of decisions being made and revelations revealed with no reason to care at all.

Also real nice shot you took me at there, don't think I didn't notice.

If you want to take it as a personal shot, feel free i guess. whatever makes you feel better.

Lister

Banned

Depends on what you liked and what you disliked (if anything) about Divinity.

The tone of Divinity was very much tongue in cheek. Pillars takes itself much more seriously in terms of narrative. That's not to say there isn't any comedy, but Divinity is like 90% comedy, Pillars is like 5%. and I personally didn't like Divinity's tone after the first few hours.

Frankly I think the writing, overall plot, and characters are leagues bettern than DIvinity. I don't think I recall anyone from Divinity outside the Twins, the wells, and ZixZax. I definitely remember every companion in Pillars, and all the main characters as well as many of the side characters.

There's a lot more reading in this game though, and the majority is NOT voice acted. That's a big change coming from Divinity:OS, where dialogue is all voice acted, and there is a lot less of it. Pro tip: there are a lot of characters with a gold background around their name. These feature short little backstories written by kickstarter backers that you can peer into. They have nothign to do with the main game and are 100% optional. So if you want to avoid reading fatigue, you cna safely skip these. I found many of the interesting, but skippable.

Another big difference is, of course, combat. It's rela time with pause in Pillars while turn based in Divinity. Divinity's combat also involves a lot more interaction witht he environment.

Now, I personally prefer real time combat with pause in a game like this, for numerous reasons, but people have died asserting which is best. I would, however, imagine that aturn based system is prbably going to be a hell of a lot easier to dela with with a gamepad than a real-time one. So this might be an issue for some, especially on consoles.

Divinity 2 is looking to solve some of the issue sI had with the last game, so I'm relaly looking forward to it, but not as much as I'm looking forward to Pillars 2! :p

Lister

Banned
I'd feel better if you had actually responded to the part of my post that actually mattered or just didn't bother typing at all.

Well, you did was post abotu how it had these issues, but didn't expound on that to actually describe them.

Lister

Banned
Hard to do so without spoiling both of the games which I doubt people want me to do in a thread about a console port.

Fair point. Forgot we were here and not in the OT. Glad I didn't spoil anything above, come to think of it.

Wulfram

Pillars is a solid pastiche of Bioware fantasy RPGs. Some interesting concepts, not always so great execution, worth at least one playthrough if you like CRPGs.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Just curious on how well the game deals with 'make your own choices' mechanics. Like, do we as the players capable of influencing the game narrative beats and if so to what extent and is it significant or is it more like Bioware games where little to no things actually change?

Durante

I'd say on a scale of player impact on the main story where the average modern Bioware game is a 2 and Fallout: New Vegas is an 8, PoE is just a 3-4. That's not one of its major strengths.

Sou Da

Just curious on how well the game deals with 'make your own choices' mechanics. Like, do we as the players capable of influencing the game narrative beats and if so to what extent and is it significant or is it more like Bioware games where little to no things actually change?

Nothing changes beyond ending slides.

Stop trying to be cute Durante.

Wulfram

Its basically the same style of Bioware games - choices that might affect the epilogues but which don't have much affect in game.

Lister

Banned
In terms of the main storyline, yes, this isn't a huge cut above what we are seeing from Bioware these days. But character storylines, and sidequests are definitely way beyond what we are getting from that studio, or most other games nowadays. Divinity, actually does a better job at narrative agency in the main storyline.

Sou Da

You might need to take a step back, take a deep breath, and consider what annoyed you today, and why you are taking it out in this thread. Your posting behaviour is not ok.

It's a harmless sidebar, spare me the amateur moderation/concern trolling.

Durante

It's a harmless sidebar, spare me the amateur moderation/concern trolling.
"Concern trolling"? Really now? Do you even know what that is?

Anyway, you come in this thread where people are discussing a game, and start off by calling posters out for completely non-existent "shots" and trying to be "cute" when simply answering questions. I don't remember you as a particularly annoying poster, so I assumed you are simply having a bad day.

If not, and this is your standard, then that's ok and I'll update my journal.

Sou Da

"Concern trolling"? Really now? Do you even know what that is?

Anyway, you come in this thread where people are discussing a game, and start off by calling posters out for completely non-existent "shots" and trying to be "cute" when simply answering questions. I don't remember you as a particularly annoying poster, so I assumed you are simply having a bad day.

Fair enough, I'll leave it alone. Hope PoE controls okay on console.

Durante

Hope PoE controls okay on console.
Well, from the videos it looks like all the functionality is there, but also a bit cumbersome.
The main question to me is how much of that is due to the controls and how they are implemented, and how much is due to players not being familiar with it. I'm pretty sure it will always be a bit harder to control without a pointing device, but it could be that with more practice people can get quite good with the console control scheme they came up with.

Is this a preference or is 60 necessary for this game?
I'd say that, given the genre, 30 FPS should be fine. (Of course 60 is always better, but the game on PC requires a bit more HW-wise than you'd think looking at it to hold a solid framerate)

Anno

Is this a preference or is 60 necessary for this game?

The game has the old Unity problem of not being able to maintain 60 FPS even on solid computers when there are too many particles on screen. It's definitely not necessary, just an annoyance. Hopefully the consoles can hold 30.

Feeroper

I'm curious to see if there is any difference between the consoles in terms of performance - I know the PS4 version of Tides was pretty poor performing overall (not 100% sure about the X1 version).

I'm hoping that they were able to address any major concerns along those lines in time for release - this is an amazing game and I hope console only players give it a shot, especially with Pillars 2 on the horizon and looking really good.

Serenity_Lotus

Neo Member
The game has the old Unity problem of not being able to maintain 60 FPS even on solid computers when there are too many particles on screen. It's definitely not necessary, just an annoyance. Hopefully the consoles can hold 30.

I'd say that, given the genre, 30 FPS should be fine. (Of course 60 is always better, but the game on PC requires a bit more HW-wise than you'd think looking at it to hold a solid framerate)

Thank you :) Hoping it holds a stable 30 then.

Top Bottom