• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity: Complete Edition Coming To PS4/XB1, Launching August 29

Loved Baldurs Gate, but couldn't finish Divinity original sin on the PS4. Is this like D:OS or more like BG?

BG. It's real-time-with-pause game play and has a pseudo forgotten realms world. It was more or less pitched on Kickstarter as being a modern take on Baldur's Gate 2.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've still got to finish Divinity.

And Tides.

Oh, and I still have the finale of Wasteland 2 to finish off.

...aaaand I'm still juggling Planescape on the ol' laptop too.

Pre-ordered this anyway.

It's just not their cup of tea

This rubs me up the wrong way for some reason :D

IbukiLordSA

Is this game as obscure as Divinity OS?

That game annoyed the crap out of me with regards to what to do and where to go. I'm not a fan of mindlessly walking around until you stumble on something, I prefer to have a clear objective and not something where I need to pick up a random bucket to find a key that opens a door down the street which has a book that I need to read to get the next clue on what to do.

Ushay

I've looked at the video posted by Soulblighter31. Most things look clunky to me, from investigating the environment, over selecting battle actions and controlling multiple characters, even menu interactions.

It seems to work, and in principle allow everything you can do on PC, but it certainly doesn't look convenient or effective.

Look at the video in this topic. They took the most mouse and keyboard game on the market and just mollested it into consoles because paradox recently got the ideea it needs to branch into consoles even if it doesnt have any console game

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll wait for some reliable reviews and impressions on this. Hopefully it turns out well like D:OS did.

That game annoyed the crap out of me with regards to what to do and where to go. I'm not a fan of mindlessly walking around until you stumble on something, I prefer to have a clear objective and not something where I need to pick up a random bucket to find a key that opens a door down the street which has a book that I need to read to get the next clue on what to do.
Divinity was amazing. I loved exploring every nook and cranny uncovering where to go, I played it several times in several ways from breaking and entering to secret paths or using animal speech. Loved that aspect.

Skeletron

Thanks for the response, I guess I'll wait for some reliable reviews and impressions on this. Hopefully it turns out well like D:OS did.
Wtf, I have no idea what those dudes are talking a about. Gameplay looks slick as fuck. Choosing between direct control or cursor, radial menu, everything looks like it put together with care to give a seamless experience.

The Gamescon video gives a great look.
https://youtu.be/u_r2Hf3EsbA

Anno

It's more straight forward than Divinity. There aren't big floating quest markers or anything but generally if you read the quest it'll tell you what map or approximate part of a map to explore to find the next part of the quest.

Anno

According to Reddit the game is up for pre-load on PSN. I hope a couple people around here bought it, I'm interested in how the controls hold together.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

As mentioned, its very straightforward, especially in the early hours when it is tutorializing you and providing exposition. Around Act 2(several hours in) it does open up with lots of optional quests and exploration to undergo at your leisure beyond the main quest. (No different from many other similar RPG's such as Witcher or Mass Effect, but mostly like Baldurs Gate).

Bottom-line it won't feel like Divinity at all where you are constantly questioning if you are approaching the broad game design 'creatively enough' leading to frustration and concern.

I got Divinity OS and had a ton of fun with it on PS4. Then I got Wasteland 2, and, ultimately, felt the gameplay was stale. I didn't get far, but, to me, it felt like there wasn't much strategy, and it was just about shooting stuff. The story wasn't that interesting, either (although, I didn't get far enough to see what it was really about).

Does this game have good gameplay? I'm not one of those people who can deal with an RPG that has sh*t gameplay, no matter the quality of the story. It doesn't have to be amazing, but, if it's bad, I simply can't bring myself to continue. For some kind of reference, I was fine with Witcher 3, DA:I, and DA:O. I wasn't fine with Wasteland 2, Mass Effect 1, and Skyrim Remastered (I was fine with it in 2012). Will I like this?

Anno

I got Divinity OS and had a ton of fun with it on PS4. Then I got Wasteland 2, and, ultimately, felt the gameplay was stale. I didn't get far, but, to me, it felt like there wasn't much strategy, and it was just about shooting stuff. The story wasn't that interesting, either (although, I didn't get far enough to see what it was really about).

Does this game have good gameplay? I'm not one of those people who can deal with an RPG that has sh*t gameplay, no matter the quality of the story. It doesn't have to be amazing, but, if it's bad, I simply can't bring myself to continue. For some kind of reference, I was fine with Witcher 3, DA:I, and DA:O. I wasn't fine with Wasteland 2, Mass Effect 1, and Skyrim Remastered (I was fine with it in 2012). Will I like this?

If you like the gameplay style of DA:O I would think there's a good chance you will here as well.

Balphon

If the gamepad controls really do work well maybe I'll get this sometime down the line.

I may even finish a playthrough this time.

Bizzquik

If you like the gameplay style of DA:O I would think there's a good chance you will here as well.

Thanks for the comparison.
My hope is Dragon Age: Origins, but on a much small budget of production values: essentially no cutscenes and very little voice acting. I hope the characters and story are close to being as good, that the world and factions are compelling, the player decisions are meaty, and the combat is passible.

Review embargo ends this Tuesday.

Hmm... Really wish they would've let the embargo come earlier; not a fan of release date embargoes. But you did answer my biggest question by saying the controls work well, so thank you!

Staf

Can't freaking wait for this! I've heard the story is serviceable in this game, true? And how's the writing in general?

Giolon

Can't freaking wait for this! I've heard the story is serviceable in this game, true? And how's the writing in general?

I think the story is more than serviceable and the writing is fantastic, especially in the White March expansions. I got back into this game last week and I was stunned at how good some of it is.

This is Obsidian at it's finest - under no one's yoke, but their own. They were able to write the great characters and stories like they always do without a damned publisher crushing their boot on their neck forcing them to release a game before it's finished and full of game breaking bugs.

What's great about Baldur's Gate and this?

And what's the narrative agency like?
There are A LOT of options depending on your character stats, background, and earned disposition and reputation throughout conversations. You can avoid much combat with the right dialogue choices available. You are beholden to investigate the main plot but many quests have multiple paths for resolution, not all to your benefit.

The game rewards choice making very well.

As for Baldur's Gate, I'm not sure how to list everything it did well here. Adaptation of D&D to pseudo-real-time, storytelling, fully flexible party management, tactical combat, sprawling world. And as good as it is, it's sequel is three times as good.

Giolon

This is gonna be a weird question perhaps, but is there any romance in this game? I love me some romance in my RPGs.

No, there is not. They explicitly chose not to. I don't remember what they decided for the second game.

Even without it, the companions are largely very well written and compelling. I love Sagani and Devil of Caroc especially.

There's Character Creation right? Should I go console or go with my laptop?
This is gonna be a weird question perhaps, but is there any romance in this game? I love me some romance in my RPGs.
Wow I was going to ask this question too! Is there?

EDIT: There isn't any romance? Yikes that's a huge bummer. Guess I'll look for something else then.

Giolon

Yep, you create your PC, and you can choose to create your own NPCs and avoid the campaign ones if you choose. You'll miss out on their dialogue and story though. When the game released, there was no Rogue companion, so I rolled my own to take along.

EDIT: There isn't? Yikes that's a huge bummer. Guess I'll look for something else then.
Edit: aww, don't be like that.

RevenWolf

EDIT: There isn't? Yikes that's a huge bummer. Guess I'll look for something else then.

Yup character creation! What's really nice is that you select your characters history in the creation menu, however you have a opportunities to flesh out that history even more during the game.

No romance, but that was a conscious decision by the developers. Not that it matters because all the companions are really interesting and fun to interact with imo.

Staf

I think the story is more than serviceable and the writing is fantastic, especially in the White March expansions. I got back into this game last week and I was stunned at how good some of it is.

This is Obsidian at it’s finest - under no one's yoke, but their own. They were able to write the great characters and stories like they always do without a damned publisher crushing their boot on their neck forcing them to release a game before it’s finished and full of game breaking bugs.

Awesome, thank you!

watdaeff4

Gotta know if the Pro version or XOX version will be better.

Unless you are trying to stir shit up......IMO the bigger difference will be which controller you prefer (or prefer for this type of game) than the very minor differences there will likely be in graphics/performance.

Pantz

Unless you are trying to stir shit up......IMO the bigger difference will be which controller you prefer (or prefer for this type of game) than the very minor differences there will likely be in graphics/performance.

Not trying to stir things up. I have a Pro and I have an XOX on pre-order. I want to know what versions are best even if by a slight bit and that's the system I'll buy the game for. (Aside for PC, I don't like messing with PC).

Bizzquik

is there any romance in this game? I love me some romance in my RPGs.

No, there is not. They explicitly chose not to.

Wait, really? All that dialogue, all that player choice, all that emphasis on creating your own character, all those branching walls of text to read...and there's no romance?

I agree with the two posters above me: that's genuinely disheartening. (No pun intended.)
I really thought they would've gone the other way: giving lots of weight to the written word, knowing they didn't have to concern themselves with voice actor work or love scene animations...I naturally assumed based on how much acclaim the writing has gotten that romance would be a minor but compelling part of making each playthrough feel unique.

Disappointing.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Gotta admit, the no romance thing dampens my enthusiasm for this game somewhat, haha.

Edit: hmm, by "no romance" I know you folks mean that we don't get to pair the MC with someone else but surely it's featured in some way into the game right? Like maybe a party member fighting for his/her beloved, stuff like that. It's not that the idea of "romance" itself is written out from or nonexistent in the game, right?

watdaeff4

Not trying to stir things up. I have a Pro and I have an XOX on pre-order. I want to know what versions are best even if by a slight bit and that's the system I'll buy the game for. (Aside for PC, I don't like messing with PC).

I would wait then to see if there is much of a difference. I would imagine the difference will be less than your controller preference for this type of game.

TheChaos

I'm genuinely surprised people are so disappointed in there being no romances. Like, romances in RPGs have always been pretty shallow and uninteresting, and are always tacked on rather than organically be part of the plot in any way.

Anyways, pre-ordered this and am going to start a Path of the Damned run (already beat it on PC). Any tips?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm genuinely surprised people are so disappointed in there being no romances. Like, romances in RPGs have always been pretty shallow and uninteresting, and are always tacked on rather than organically be part of the plot in any way.

Anyways, pre-ordered this and am going to start a Path of the Damned run (already beat it on PC). Any tips?

All the more reason that, if you feel that way, that you should feel disappointed by its exclusion in here, considering many people think that Obsidian is a master of story-writing and character building. If there's anyone you can trust capable of delivering a high quality romance writing in RPGs, it's them, then.

60 or 30 fps on console?

If anyone is interested, I'm probably going to stream the Xbox 1 version tomorrow. I'll try to stick to side-quests so as not to spoil much of the storyline. The letsplay/stream embargo actually ended on the 25th, so there's probably already footage of the console versions floating around.

Opa-Pa

Very interested in this. I heard a lot of praise back in the day and was disappointed to find out there was no console version.

Oddly enough I see no romance as a plus lol, more often than not it feels shoehorned and imposed to me as player, even though I have 0 interest in it.

Will have to decide if I jump into this or Divinity OS first.

Mifune

Mehmber
All the more reason that, if you feel that way, that you should feel disappointed by its exclusion in here, considering many people think that Obsidian is a master of story-writing and character building. If there's anyone you can trust capable of delivering a high quality romance writing in RPGs, it's them, then.

Obsidian have rarely (if ever) shown any interest in writing romance. It's just not what they do.

marzlapin

Gotta admit, the no romance thing dampens my enthusiasm for this game somewhat, haha.

Edit: hmm, by "no romance" I know you folks mean that we don't get to pair the MC with someone else but surely it's featured in some way into the game right? Like maybe a party member fighting for his/her beloved, stuff like that. It's not that the idea of "romance" itself is written out from or nonexistent in the game, right?

The party members have their own storylines but unless I'm misremembering, none of them involve romantic love. There's virtually none of that in the main storyline either. They're implementing companion relationships in the next game though, presumably including some kind of romance.

That said, the party members DO have really interesting stories, and the game is not soulless or devoid of emotion, it's just not very concerned with romantic love specifically.

Romance in a rpg is a great way to make you care about the characters. If you do care you can overlook a lot of things like a poor plot or boring companions.

Pillars really could have done with some romance.

Top Bottom