• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity:Complete Edition|OT| The perfect chance to revisit Raedric's Hold

I am replaying PoE in PC and my goodness this soundtrack is amazing. Super underrated in the soundtrack department. I think this is one of the best soundtracks I have heard in a game. Its up there with Witcher 3, FFVII, Chrono Cross, FFIV etc. IMO.

Altazor

I am replaying PoE in PC and my goodness this soundtrack is amazing. Super underrated in the soundtrack department. I think this is one of the best soundtracks I have heard in a game. Its up there with Witcher 3, FFVII, Chrono Cross, FFIV etc. IMO.

Oldsong and its variants really became my favorite of the bunch. Beautiful composition.

Alric

Anyone got a link to some good up to date Builds. I was thinking of doing a Druid but a lot of the ones I find are before the 3.0+ patch.

Anno

So when should aim to do the White March? Should/Can it be done after the main story?

Personally I start White March the moment I hit level 7. That to me gives the best balance curve as you go through the expansion. It will make the remainder of the base game easier than it would be otherwise (though you can scale up the enemies after CH2 to offset a bit of that) but the content is quite a bit better than the base game too so I want to play it at the right time.

Anyone got a link to some good up to date Builds. I was thinking of doing a Druid but a lot of the ones I find are before the 3.0+ patch.

This thread on the Obsidian forums has some interesting builds. Some are very specific and probably not best for a first time player, though.

Staf

When you cast an Aoe you get a percentage above a foe or friend. Does that mean the percentage that the aoe will hit or they will resist it?

Staf

Man, how deep does that dungeon under the castle go? I'm on level 3 now and i'm struggling at lvl 7 with the ogres lol.

CloudWolf

Man, how deep does that dungeon under the castle go? I'm on level 3 now and i'm struggling at lvl 7 with the ogres lol.
It has 15 levels and yeah, they get pretty difficult.

You're not meant to do the Endless Paths in one go, there are a few shortcuts back to the top so you don't have to walk all the way down everytime you go in. I think the third level has a shortcut.

Staf

It has 15 levels and yeah, they get pretty difficult.

You're not meant to do the Endless Paths in one go, there are a few shortcuts back to the top so you don't have to walk all the way down everytime you go in. I think the third level has a shortcut.

Yeeah found the shortcut. Returning later. Those ogre druids are super hard!

Anno

The Ogre druids are a pretty notorious difficulty imbalance. If you can clear that level you can go down a fee more pretty easily.

Something odd is going on with my Paladin, I've respec'd into a heavy Defensive build and done something like 17 cons, 17 might, 18 int, 17 res but notice that in my character sheet it shows might as 15 and cons at 12...do you think this is just bugged?

I tried just doing a respec but nothing changed, I also checked for anything that could be negatively reducing my stats but nothing active is.

Just following up if anyone has any ideas? It's like my starting stats aren't actually sticking except for Int and Res.

Anno

Just following up if anyone has any ideas? It's like my starting stats aren't actually sticking except for Int and Res.

So you dumped Dex and Perception down to 3ish? If so, then I dunno, sounds like a bug. If not then I wonder if it's some kind of display error, because you need to totally dump two stats to get the other 4 up that high.

So you dumped Dex and Perception down to 3ish? If so, then I dunno, sounds like a bug. If not then I wonder if it's some kind of display error, because you need to totally dump two stats to get the other 4 up that high.

Yeah exactly. No matter what I do it doesn't display properly, the interesting part is that I don't think the attributes themselves are actually being applied because for example, Eder has 16 Con and his Health/Endurance are very high whereas mine are lacking behind, assuming it's taking the default 10 for me.

I quickly took a look on the PDX forums and it seems others have the same issue: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ributes-not-updating-with-respec-ps4.1042046/

I only play the game on PC otherwise I'd try test myself - it works fine on PC though so yeah what you're experiencing isn't intended behaviour. The game is pretty good at telling you why attributes don't apply or how they work but if it's bugged it won't. For e.g some people get confused when they add two items that have the same attribute bonus such as item X with 3 str and item Y with 2 str, the game will only take into effect the str from the item with the highest str equipped (it doesn't combine) - when this happens if one opens the character panel under active effects it will say "Suppressed" for that particular attribute from the item, again this is not what you have but just thought I'd mention it for others that may read the thread and are new and experience it.

Anno

Yeah exactly. No matter what I do it doesn't display properly, the interesting part is that I don't think the attributes themselves are actually being applied because for example, Eder has 16 Con and his Health/Endurance are very high whereas mine are lacking behind, assuming it's taking the default 10 for me.

It's possible. Depending on what class you are though it might be right. Fighters get more health/endurance from each CON point than most classes.

There were some devs of the console version hanging out on the subreddit last week. If you have a reddit account maybe post it there and see if it's something they've seen and intend to patch soon. If not maybe you can at least make them aware of it.

Edit: Actually someone else did already. Unless that's you, too.

I quickly took a look on the PDX forums and it seems others have the same issue: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...ributes-not-updating-with-respec-ps4.1042046/

I only play the game on PC otherwise I'd try test myself - it works fine on PC though so yeah what you're experiencing isn't intended behaviour. The game is pretty good at telling you why attributes don't apply or how they work but if it's bugged it won't. For e.g some people get confused when they add two items that have the same stat bonus such as item X with 3 str and item Y with 2 str, the game will only take into effect the str from the item with the highest str equipped (it doesn't combine) - when this happens if one opens the character panel under active effects it will say "Suppressed" for that particular attribute from the item, again this is not what you have but just thought I'd mention it for others that may read the thread and are new and experience it.

Thanks for that hobbly, I'm glad it's what seems to be a bug. Kinda shitty, but guess I'll deal with it until it's fixed.

Labadal

You could also try their official forum for help. There were bugs with stats/attributes during the first weeks of the PC release. Don't know if this has to do with that.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Was kind of noticing this during character creation. As I was messing about with options I noticed that selections were showing wrong data in tooltips(why am I getting that racial bonus? I chose something else!) I found that once I settled on my options(before final confirmation), I had to back all the way out to the beginning(gender choice) and reconfirm/lock-in those choices just to ensure that the actual stats properly populate correctly.

Not sure if that is what your are experiencing, but there is definitely something up with the tooltips in creation being very wonky and not showing correct values if you start shifting around choices(PS4).

Labadal

Was playing Bejeweled on my phone and I got an ad for this. Talk about a surprise. For the past months, it has been Game of War or that FFXV Game of War ripoff.

I picked this up on a whim today and am so pleasantly surprised. I literally just started, but immediately felt the freedom to create my own backstory and actually roleplay - something I've never really felt the urge to do in a console RPG. I've never played an old-school CRPG like this but they've done a really good job with the UI and tutorials so I don't feel lost.

Really looking forward to digging into this more.

lol I had no idea Evilore was in this.

Finally picked it up on PS4 and been playing it all weekend, I'm absolutely hooked.

Tried a few classes before settling on chanter, so much fun.

Perineum

I've been really enjoying this and am glad I set it on easy because I think harder difficulties would frustrate me. I played the first Dragon Age, and if that counts as a CRPG, then that's my favorite.

In the past I have tried Neverwinter, Divinity, and a few others but generally didn't get hooked. This works flawlessly on a controller, and so far isn't overwhelming in playing it. I do think I'll screw it up somehow I'm sure.

Should I be hiring adventurers from the bar? So far I recruited two. I have the wizard from town and the guy who smokes a pipe too.

Monk (me)
Priest (adv1)
Paladin(adv2)
Wizardguy is wizard
Pipeguy is ranger

Am I doing it right? Also, can anyone give me tips for my monk? No need for a second weapon set I take it? Lightest body gear possible to keep attacking fast? Anything else leveling/stat distribution wise?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Should I be hiring adventurers from the bar? So far I recruited two. I have the wizard from town and the guy who smokes a pipe too.

It's up to you, you'll find companions to fill your empty slots (there's one companion for every character class in the game), but you can use them as temporary stopgaps. Or if you prefer you can rock a whole party of hirelings if you're into rolling your own party as opposed to using pre-created npc's.

Am I doing it right? Also, can anyone give me tips for my monk? No need for a second weapon set I take it? Lightest body gear possible to keep attacking fast? Anything else leveling/stat distribution wise?

I played a monk myself. I used my hands for the whole game, didn't need any weapons. As for armor, I kind of teetered between medium and heavy armor. While your monk needs to take damage to build his resources, with light armor he's going to take a bit too much damage in some of the harder encounters. I found even with heavy armor I was never short on Wound points to spend. Early on though you can get away with lighter armor.

Perineum

It's up to you, you'll find companions to fill your empty slots (there's one companion for every character class in the game), but you can use them as temporary stopgaps. Or if you prefer you can rock a whole party of hirelings if you're into rolling your own party as opposed to using pre-created npc's.

I played a monk myself. I used my hands for the whole game, didn't need any weapons. As for armor, I kind of teetered between medium and heavy armor. While your monk needs to take damage to build his resources, with light armor he's going to take a bit too much damage in some of the harder encounters. I found even with heavy armor I was never short on Wound points to spend. Early on though you can get away with lighter armor.

Thanks for this!

How do Grimoire's work? My wizard has two books he could equip, but I am unsure of if I should be selling old books as I find new ones?

Any particular standout Monk abilities I should try to get right away?

Staf

I think the companions in this game really are great. The only one i instantly put on the bench was the druid though, did not get a good first impression from him (not terrible though). I agree Eder is great. But so are Sagani, Grieving Mother and birdlady paladin.

RevenWolf

Thanks for this!

How do Grimoire's work? My wizard has two books he could equip, but I am unsure of if I should be selling old books as I find new ones?

A thing about grimoires is that you can open them to see what spells are inside. If your wizard doesn't know them you can pay a fee and have the wizard learn the spell.

Also keeping multiple grimoires is useful because you can have a wider variety of spells set up between them and equip them as your need arises without rest. (At least how I understood it to work)

Mind you the total number you can cast per rest remains the same.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You can scribe spells into your wizards arsenal from grimoires, so always look through grimoires you find for spells you don't have. You can also keep multiple grimoires with different spells memorized and swap them in and out in combat (with a cooldown mind you, so don't do it willy nilly). So you could have a grimoire with all your nukes, another with buffs, etc. I personally stuck with 1 grimoire but it's up to you.

The most important one if you're going unarmed is the one that ups your fist damage, I think it has 3 or 4 levels, take that as soon as it comes up every time. Other then that I really liked the special attacks that did crowd control either via stuns or knockdowns. It's been awhile since I played so I can't remember the names off the top of my head.

As for this best companion discussion, you guys are nuts. The best companion is obviously Durance. Not only does he have the best dialog, the best voice actor and the coolest look. He's also a freaking Healer, and the point in the game in which you get him, that's like giving air to a drowning man.

UzBDgua.png

Balphon

Monks should all get Transcendent Suffering (unarmed damage) by default; you don't need to put points in it. From what I remember general trend with monks was to either go unarmed or use a staff. Wear the lightest armor you can get away with to minimize the recovery penalty.

Pretty much every monk should take Weapon Focus: Peasant, Lesser Wounds, Apprentice's Sneak Attack (in fact, just about everyone who isn't a rogue or maybe a wizard should take Apprentice's Sneak Attack), and the appropriate weapon style (e.g. two weapon style for unarmed). Past that just focus on having a good spread of monk abilities: some that you can spam with few wounds, some you can store up wounds for, and some self-buffs.

Durante

As for this best companion discussion, you guys are nuts. The best companion is obviously Durance. Not only does he have the best dialog, the best voice actor and the coolest look. He's also a freaking Healer, and the point in the game in which you get him, that's like giving air to a drowning man.

UzBDgua.png
This is the truth.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Not going to dive in fully till I've finished Wasteland 2 (nearly there, I think!), but I have been dabbling in character creation and looking at the systems to prep a build. I'll probably be starting off on Easy till I get a hang of the controls.

Few build questions, if you don't mind:

• I take it that equipment is entirely dependent on Class/Background/Culture combinations rather than selected? Is the game generous enough with early equipment not to worry about this?

• Are any of the Monk's skills/abilities synergistic with weapons? Not keen on face punching. Thinking more stabbing sides with a spear or battering bonces with a bo staff.

• Ciphers seem really interesting, though I've read they aren't all that wonderful with melee weapons. What are the inherent weaknesses of the class in terms of melee that I'll need to look out/compensate for?

• I remember Kensai in BG2 being a lot of fun, though there doesn't seem to be much in the way of sword master builds here. Any tips on which class to pick to get a Kensai style build (one handed, low armour, high DPS) or is that a pipe dream?

• How dependent are Rangers on their animal companion? Do I need to split the focus of my build to make the most out of this build?

Thanks!

xuchu

UzBDgua.png

Without a doubt best character but he's not only a healer, he's your buff/debuff bot. Mid to late game he'll be able to buff your MC to almost unkillable levels if you've built right.

Anno

Not going to dive in fully till I've finished Wasteland 2 (nearly there, I think!), but I have been dabbling in character creation and looking at the systems to prep a build. I'll probably be starting off on Easy till I get a hang of the controls.

Few build questions, if you don't mind:

• I take it that equipment is entirely dependent on Class/Background/Culture combinations rather than selected? Is the game generous enough with early equipment not to worry about this?

• Are any of the Monk's skills/abilities synergistic with weapons? Not keen on face punching. Thinking more stabbing sides with a spear or battering bonces with a bo staff.

• Ciphers seem really interesting, though I've read they aren't all that wonderful with melee weapons. What are the inherent weaknesses of the class in terms of melee that I'll need to look out/compensate for?

• I remember Kensai in BG2 being a lot of fun, though there doesn't seem to be much in the way of sword master builds here. Any tips on which class to pick to get a Kensai style build (one handed, low armour, high DPS) or is that a pipe dream?

• How dependent are Rangers on their animal companion? Do I need to split the focus of my build to make the most out of this build?

Thanks!

Equipment is not selected. I don't find that it matters very much since you get a decent amount of equipment early on or, worst case, can buy some. Anything that starts with heavier armor or a 2 handed weapon can save you a bit of early gold I suppose if those are the paths you want to go down. I wouldn't worry too much.

I think only one ability, The Long Pain, requires that you punch stuff.

Ciphers have only average base accuracy and deflection and below average health gain. They also don't get a proper melee ability so they can only auto attack. Melee Cipher is a fine build and lots of fun, just be prepared to micromanage more than most classes and/or occasionally get owned.

Fighters get to further specialize in weapon sets so you could kinda sorta roleplay one as a Kensai. It's obviously not optimal but I bet it could work just fine.

You can ignore pet talents if you want but I don't think it's optimal. Ranger pets can do some serious damage with a few talents invested in them.

On Easy or Normal I would say just pick what sounds cool and you can make it work. A bit less so on hard, but still doable. Really only PotD requires optimizing your builds.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Equipment is not selected. I don't find that it matters very much since you get a decent amount of equipment early on or, worst case, can buy some. Anything that starts with heavier armor or a 2 handed weapon can save you a bit of early gold I suppose if those are the paths you want to go down. I wouldn't worry too much.

I think only one ability, The Long Pain, requires that you punch stuff.

Ciphers have only average base accuracy and deflection and below average health gain. They also don't get a proper melee ability so they can only auto attack. Melee Cipher is a fine build and lots of fun, just be prepared to micromanage more than most classes and/or occasionally get owned.

Fighters get to further specialize in weapon sets so you could kinda sorta roleplay one as a Kensai. It's obviously not optimal but I bet it could work just fine.

You can ignore pet talents if you want but I don't think it's optimal. Ranger pets can do some serious damage with a few talents invested in them.

On Easy or Normal I would say just pick what sounds cool and you can make it work. A bit less so on hard, but still doable. Really only PotD requires optimizing your builds.

That's perfect. Thank you!

Lucifon

So console guys, how're you finding it? Should I rebuy this on console to finally play it properly or just play the PC version which I'm yet to dig more than 1 or 2 hours into.

Staf

So console guys, how're you finding it? Should I rebuy this on console to finally play it properly or just play the PC version which I'm yet to dig more than 1 or 2 hours into.

I'm having a blast with it. Never though i would see rtwp game controlling so smoothly with a controller.

Hostile_18

Banned

I guess it depends why you only put a few hours into the pc build :).

It would be expensive if you already own the game.

Lucifon

I guess it depends why you only put a few hours into the pc build :).

It would be expensive if you already own the game.

I just often struggle these days to sit down in front of a singleplayer PC game and play for hours on end. I find it alot easier on the sofa in front of the TV. But I have recently got back into PC gaming a fair bit thanks to PUBG.

Staf

By the way, i tried to go to white march at lvl 7. It was rough, those giants smashed me lol. Gonna keep playing the OC until about lvl 9 before i try it again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

It's a very solid port, more impressive than I imagined. Controls bind well and almost everything required to manage your team is accessible. Actually feels great having direct control of your party outside of combat. It will take practice shifting modes and setting up positioning(choke points) and not forgetting to flip off AI at times when needing to hold position(they are all defaulted to aggressive). Certain mouse features are also missing, like being able to alter the facing direction of your team when changing location or quickly adjusting party order, but there are workarounds. Controls take conditioning, but it's very accessible.

Text is large and very legible. Loading and saving are agreeable(3-8 sec usually). Only in very rare circumstances does it bog down(first time I noticed was taking on Raedric, which was like twenty AI clashing on screen). I have been playing on Hard difficulty all weekend(10+ hours) and it is shocking how smooth it feels and plays.(PS4 Pro if it matters)

If you are more interested in playing on console with a controller, it's a safe buy. PC is still a bit easier to play with mouse use, but only slightly more efficient.

ShadowOwl

What does the main menu look like?

I really hate that they removed the original main menu screen in the PC version even though the new one doesn't fit with the New Game animation/transition at all.

Really wish there was a mod to bring the old one back...

Anno

Yeah I feel like there wasnt a ton of budget for music. I like what's there but it isn't a lot. To the point where the song that played over the first gameplay trailer (and maybe the credit sequence - part of it is the same song at least) is in part a bunch of Obsidian employees in the lobby of their building, the lead game designer singing baritone or tenor I forget which.

Top Bottom