• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pimax "8k" 200° FoV VR HMD KS page up (not live yet)

Durante

Interesting. What would you think of the solution found in Shadow Warriors 2?
That's Multi-Resolution Shading, which games like Raw Data also use already. As you can see in the article I linked, it does the same thing that LMS does, but somewhat less efficiently. Either way, both of them will be even more effective on something with a huge FoV like the PIMAX.

What about optimizations such as culling objects that are outside your field of view? Is that handled too?
If your game/engine is correctly implemented, it will cull based on the projection matrix.

The good thing about VR is that basically everything is Unity or UE4, and they do this correctly. And those few dev who use their own engine for VR games (the most relevant are probably Croteam) I very much trust to do things right.

No, it's not (just) about memory. Really, framebuffer size is basically irrelevant on modern GPUs. Even if you have a rather fat G-buffer a full 8k (that's twice the native res of the PIMAX 8k X!) framebuffer "only" takes around half a Gigabyte. And the GPUs you want to use with this thing have 8 GB at least, probably more.

No, it's about rendering efficiency. The actual rendered per-eye viewport for the PIMAX pre-distortion looks something like this:
As you can see, you are spending a lot of performance rendering a lot of pixels that will only show up in the periphery of your view, which you should be rendering with a lot less detail.

Outside of people working on Foveated rendering. Do you know of any software or people who have worked on localized rendering techniques? From an outside perspective it seems like it would be relatively simple, but the only thing I've ever rendered was in 3DS Max lol.

The actual rendered per-eye viewport for the PIMAX pre-distortion looks something like this:
As you can see, you are spending a lot of performance rendering a lot of pixels that will only show up in the periphery of your view, which you should be rendering with a lot less detail.

How much of that is the "something like"? The image is 8000 pixels wide, and if accounting for the actual PiMax screen resolution aspect ratio, based on that image's height it should be something like 6000 pixels wide, which is a significant width difference. Of course, I guess the lens distortion could be what accounts for the discrepancy, if it's extreme. Unless this is just a quick mockup you threw together and I overanalyzed it :)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
How much of that is the "something like"? The image is 8000 pixels wide, and if accounting for the actual PiMax screen resolution aspect ratio, based on that image's height it should be something like 6000 pixels wide, which is a significant width difference. Of course, I guess the lens distortion could be what accounts for the discrepancy, if it's extreme. Unless this is just a quick mockup you threw together and I overanalyzed it :)

I assume he's just referring to the distortion and not the number of pixels in that particular image. Roughly half of it is going to be toward the edge of your peripheral vision, and that's a lot of wasted processing power.

Top Bottom