• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchforks 'End of the Year' lists [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
c3V8z3Q.png

[P4.com]

50 Best Albums of the Year
Top 10
1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Jamie xx - In Colour
3. Grimes - Art Angels
4. Vince Staples - Summertime '06
5.Tame Impala - Currents
6. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell
7. D'Angelo / The Vanguard - Black Messiah
8. Miguel - Wildheart
8. Miguel - Wildheart
10.Kamasi Washington - The Epic

The 100 Best Tracks of the Year

Albums of the Year - Honorable Mentions

20 Best Music Videos

OP to be updated as lists are updated.

Damn, glad that somebody finally recognizes how great Alright is. Definitely the song of the year given the current state of affairs in world.

RDreamer

I dont wanna be one of those people that pops into a thread to shit on mainstream music, but man... that Tame Impala album/song is fucking boring... and Hotline Bling had a funny video but putting it as a top 5 song of the year is a goddamned joke.

Ravager61

I dont wanna be one of those people that pops into a thread to shit on mainstream music, but man... that Tame Impala album/song is fucking boring... and Hotline Bling had a funny video but putting it as a top 5 song of the year is a goddamned joke.

Hotline Bling is awesome. Agreed on Tame Impala though.

RDreamer

Hotline Bling is awesome. Agreed on Tame Impala though.

I mean I can see liking it to a degree, but out of thousands and thousands of songs released in a given year if that's truly a top 5 then that's beyond depressing.

I also find it funny because Pitchfork used to be the mecca of pretentiousness. You can't be pretentious and pretend Hotline Bling is a great song.

wenis

Right? And they hyped her up pretty good this year too.
It was a very strong year for female pop vocalists. I imagine Natalie Prass probably edged her out.

I mean I can see liking it to a degree, but out of thousands and thousands of songs released in a given year if that's truly a top 5 then that's beyond depressing.

It was an incredibly strong record tho. Out of those thousands of songs I can't imagine any of those other ones leaving that kind of cultural landmark that hotline bling did. It might not be a great song for you, but the impact it had is undeniable and because of that they had to give up a top five spot. That and I think it's largely regarded as catchy as hell. It wouldn't have done the business it did if it wasn't.

Futureman

Damn, glad that somebody finally recognizes how great Alright is. Definitely the song of the year given the current state of affairs in world.

has 39,000,000+ plays on Spotify. Are you arguing this song has flown under the radar?

You guys can bitch about Pitchfork having pretentious reviews, but every year I find tons of new bands through them. Looking forward to the top 50.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
has 39,000,000+ plays on Spotify. Are you arguing this song has flown under the radar?

You guys can bitch about Pitchfork having pretentious reviews, but every year I find tons of new bands through them. Looking forward to the top 50.

Yep. Love their lists, hate their reviews.

RDreamer

It was an incredibly strong record tho. Out of those thousands of songs I can't imagine any of those other ones leaving that kind of cultural landmark that hotline bling did. It might not be a great song for you, but the impact it had is undeniable and because of that they had to give up a top five spot. That and I think it's largely regarded as catchy as hell. It wouldn't have done the business it did if it wasn't.

Except the impact was largely people laughing at how fucking stupid the video was. I watched all the parody videos. The song fucking blows. Video was hilarious.We shouldn't be giving top 5 song of the years because a video is funny.

Do Song of the Year lists only include officially released singles? I think Momma and These Walls are far superior to Alright. Heck, Alight is the second weakest single after King Kunta off of TPAB.

Ravager61

Except the impact was largely people laughing at how fucking stupid the video was. I watched all the parody videos. The song fucking blows. Video was hilarious.We shouldn't be giving top 5 song of the years because a video is funny.

It's Pitchfork man. Don't take it so personally. I mean, did you even look at the rest of the list? It's full of pop and rap songs. This has been Pitchforks style for a LONG time. And as far as pop songs go, it's one of the best.

edit: To add to that, Pitchfork puts a lot of stock into songs that had cultural impact, which Hotline Bling definitely did.

Mimosa97

According to albumoftheyear's aggregate list, you're 100 percent right and it isn't even close. Honestly, anyone who doesn't have this album on their list is either biased against hip-hop or is just being a try hard. To Pimp A Butterfly really is that fantastic; it is the album of the year, definitively, and quite possibly the album of the decade.

Eh. I'm not even a hip hop fan and I think that TPAB is by far the best album of the year.

overcast

Do Song of the Year lists only include officially released singles? I think Momma and These Walls are far superior to Alright. Heck, Alight is the second weakest single after King Kunta off of TPAB.
Possibly. That would make a lot of sense. Singles, promotional material for upcoming albums, and one offs.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Let it Happen is a dope song, album is boring though imo.

Futureman

I don't know any of these songs. I don't even know where people hear this stuff aside from random YouTube links.

you don't know where people hear this stuff? This is a "Best of 2015" list from a website that posts 5 record reviews daily. That's where they hear it.

Out of those 100 tracks I only heard one ever and that was Rihanna
“Bitch Better Have My Money”
Also I don't know most of those artists

wenis

Pitchfork hasn't been pretentious since like 2003. They cover mainstream music and smaller acts that are generally the top promoted touring/club acts in a given genre.

I dunno how they kept that pretentious label for so long. That really hearkens back to their web 1.0 days.

I guess that's all pretty muddy at the moment, though, when even The Quietus gives positive, thoughtful reviews to fucking Slipknot albums. There's very little us vs. them in music compared to past decades.

Yep. It's really odd how the "us v them" mentality still gets dragged out of the school yard into adulthood where no one gives a shit what you listen to or experience. Especially nowadays where everything you could ever want to listen to is just a click away.

meijiko

Dang, why are some of you so annoyed that the guy doesn't know any of this music? Yeah, it could be popular as shit, but it's entirely possible in this very "pick and choose" entertainment industry that he just never came across any of this music. And that's fine. Not everyone listens to the radio that plays this stuff all day long, or goes to department stores where they have it in the background. It's not like he phrased it like he was better than you or some shit.

I don't know most of them, either. I recognize the names, but I haven't gone out of my way to listen to them, and I honestly haven't heard them or wouldn't recognize them if I had.

I'm just mad none of the Blue Neighborhood music videos made top 20.

Watevaman

Thanks for letting us know you're completely out of touch with dozens of genres. This shit ain't exactly obscure.

Eh, honest question, but are most of these songs in the top 100 songs that are played on the radio and such? I guess the Drake, Rihanna, etc. stuff is right? I personally just browse Youtube for most music discovery or go through my old catalog and see if they've put out new stuff, so I'm way out of touch with most things in the musical spectrum.

Just curious, because I too have only heard one song from that list, and it's because it was played on the local college radio station.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Eh, honest question, but are most of these songs in the top 100 songs that are played on the radio and such? I guess the Drake, Rihanna, etc. stuff is right? I personally just browse Youtube for most music discovery or go through my old catalog and see if they've put out new stuff, so I'm way out of touch with most things in the musical spectrum.

Just curious, because I too have only heard one song from that list, and it's because it was played on the local college radio station.

David bowie? Dr Dre? Rick Ross? Kanye West? Kendrick Lamar? Drake? Janet Jackson? Missy Elliot? Carly Rae Jepsen? Adele? Rhianna?

David bowie? Dr Dre? Rick Ross? Kanye West? Kendrick Lamar? Drake? Janet Jackson? Missy Elliot? Carly Rae Jepsen? Adele? Rhianna?

So mostly Hip-Hop, RnB and Pop. That list doesn't really cover that much music genres so I don't think it's a big deal if people don't really know those songs.

That's an awful lot of hip hop and RnB at the top. I prefer King Kunta to Alright, but whatever.

Pretty obvious what will be Album of the Year.

Daedardus

I find it hard to enjoy those picks since it's mostly all lyrics and no song whatsoever. Where's the rythm and all those other things that make songs great?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom