• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchforks 'End of the Year' lists [2015]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to enjoy those picks since it's mostly all lyrics and no song whatsoever. Where's the rythm and all those other things that make songs great?

If this is coded language for "where da guitar solos at" then you might have to wait for the Rolling Stone list.

Griss

I used to read Pitchfork weekly about a decade ago. Now I only recognise one song on their top 100 of the year list, and very few of the artists. That's pretty crazy. Maybe I'm just getting old. I find it such an effort to listen to new music these days, when I have a library of over 8,000 songs I already like or love.

And reading their top 10, it seems full of american social issues commentary. I have no interest in that, nor in modern pop, r&b or hip-hop, so it would appear that I am well shot of that site.

Biggest deal for me this year was Aphex Twin's return. Yeah, I'm old. (And shit, that was last year, wasn't it. Fuuuuck me)

There was a time when I'd at least listen to all of their top 100 tracks to see what I liked. I think the last time I even did that was 2010. The strikerate was way too low.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Viet Cong not making the top 50 is a travesty. One of the best of the year, easily.

well, this is a list for tracks, VC doesn't really have singles like that. Pop, RnB, Rap, etc really bank on singles so I can see why they dominate the list. I'm sure they will make the top list of albums some of this stuff will drop off and bands like VC will appear because their LP got best new music this year.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
well its tracks, VC don't really make singles like that. I'm sure they will make the top list of albums because their LP got best new music this year.

They're also in the AOTY honorable mentions. so no top 50 for them.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Alright for #1?? Yeah...I think To Pimp a Butterfly as a whole is the best album of the year, but individually...not so much. I probably will check out most of these songs, mostly because I have heard so few, especially the artists...like who the hell are these people. Also Hotline Bling being up so high is ridiculous.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
well, this is a list for tracks, VC doesn't really have singles like that. Pop, RnB, Rap, etc really bank on singles so I can see why they dominate the list. I'm sure they will make the top list of albums some of this stuff will drop off and bands like VC will appear because their LP got best new music this year.

Viet Cong made the honourable mentions list, meaning it won't show up on their top 50, that's what he meant.

Man, Good Times is just an ok song on Jamie xx's debut. Wish they had picked a better song to go with.

According to albumoftheyear's aggregate list, you're 100 percent right and it isn't even close. Honestly, anyone who doesn't have this album on their list is either biased against hip-hop or is just being a try hard. To Pimp A Butterfly really is that fantastic; it is the album of the year, definitively, and quite possibly the album of the decade.

Okay dude. I think the album is boring and I have nothing against hip hop. It just does absoutely nothing for me. I've seen Kendrick live a few times, have nothing against the guy as he puts on a good show and has some good songs. I just found there is so many better albums out there this year.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
They're also in the AOTY honorable mentions. so no top 50 for them.

ohhh, wow it will be interesting what made it then cause they rated it very highly. Well into the 50 highest rated albums they reviewed this year.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
The more I listen to TPAB, the more convinced I am that it's my favourite album of all time. Great to have that happen with a record that's getting so much attention, and deservedly so.

And reading their top 10, it seems full of american social issues commentary. I have no interest in that

I think this is my biggest issue for me. I don't really care for social commentary in the albums at the top of the lists this year. If anything, I've been pulled towards pop than most other genres, or bands going for a more pop influenced sound, like HEALTH. Those albums have struck a chord with me in 2015.

Please stop the Kendrick riding. It has gotten ridiculous.

It really has. I'm glad he has hardcore fans and people are passionate about him, but don't shove that shit down my throat as if what I listen to is shit compared to him.

RDreamer

Well I'm glad someone is recognizing Tame Impala this year.

I tried a bunch of times to get into this release and it's like listening to paint dry for me. I have no idea what people see in it. To me it's like if you take the Beatles, make them a bit more psychedelic than they already were, and then take away every shred of songwriting talent they ever had.

So mostly Hip-Hop, RnB and Pop. That list doesn't really cover that much music genres so I don't think it's a big deal if people don't really know those songs.

Most rock/pop acts I have no idea about. There are a number of standards on this list that it would almost be impossible to not know who they are.

That said I know of dozens of EDM producers who have put songs out last year.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Biggest deal for me this year was Aphex Twin's return. Yeah, I'm old. (And shit, that was last year, wasn't it. Fuuuuck me)
It's cool, he formally returned last year with Syro, but he still dropped a bunch of new tunes in 2015.

Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2
MARCHROMT30A edit 2b 96

Man, Good Times is just an ok song on Jamie xx's debut. Wish they had picked a better song to go with.
"Loud Places" and "Gosh" are also in the top 100.

I really wish I could get into Kendrick because I truly feel like I'm missing out, I've been trying really hard ever since Section.80 dropped but why the fuck does he uses these awful voices? It ruins every song for me. Aside from How Much a Dollar Cost and King Kunta there's nothing else I can even tolerate on TPAB and it pisses me off because I know he's really strong lyrically but to me it's a literal equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. GAF can you fix me?

I really wish I could get into Kendrick because I truly feel like I'm missing out, I've been trying really hard ever since Section.80 dropped but why the fuck does he uses these awful voices? It ruins every song for me. Aside from How Much a Dollar Cost and King Kunta there's nothing else I can even tolerate on TPAB and it pisses me off because I know he's really strong lyrically but to me it's a literal equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. GAF can you fix me?

Dunno. Some people like it with no similar musical comparisons, others like myself like his voice the same way I like Suga Free or Andre 3000.

He treats his voice like an instrument. When you view it like that perhaps it'll help? Rap wise he reminds me of Nas or Rakim in terms of giving off a jazz musician vibe and using his voice like a sax or trumpet. I really like how the emotion or character of a song (or verse) changes solely due to what voice he's using. From the enticing, seductive Lucy and Uncle Sam voices on the album to him breaking down on u.

And so another year goes by and I populate my Google Play Music playlist with the top 20 albums of the year. I'll listen to every single one of them. Then I'll (probably) never listen to them again. That's how it's gone the last 2 years anyway. The aging rocker looks at the day's youth, shakes his fist, and with a mighty roar, proclaims "GET OFF MY LAWN!!!"

The AOTY list is up. Full of stupid rankings (Neon Indian deserves higher!), but here are the top 10.

10. Kamasi Washington - The Epic
9. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit and Think, and Sometimes I Just Sit
8. Miguel - Wildheart
7. D'Angelo & The Vanguard - Black Messiah
6. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
5. Tame Impala - Currents
4. Vince Staples - Summertime '06
3. Grimes - Art Angels
2. Jamie xx - In Colour
1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

Fjordson

Nothing wrong with not liking him. I'm like you in that Kendrick's music is pretty unappealing to me sonically (especially TPAB). Clearly skilled at what he does and I respect the effort he puts into his records, but I can't stand him on the mic.

Except the impact was largely people laughing at how fucking stupid the video was. I watched all the parody videos. The song fucking blows. Video was hilarious.We shouldn't be giving top 5 song of the years because a video is funny.
Nah, it's a great song and was a hit long before the video came out.

Vice

The AOTY list is up. Full of fuckery and stupid rankings, but here are the top 10.

8. Miguel - Wildheart
7. D'Angelo & The Vanguard - Black Messiah
6. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie and Lowell
3. Grimes - Art Angels
2. Jamie xx - In Colour
Miguel, Tame Impala, Staples, Kemdrock and D'Angelo. Thats a good top 10

overcast

Really? It's okay and about what expected. Can't be too mad. Thundercat and Surf are both so overrated. Barter is way overpraised by P4K too.

Seriously, did Surf leave an impression on anyone? Feel like it's just thrown in cause its that other rap project.

My issues with the list are mainly in regards to the 30s section.

Neon Indian got below Compton, Rae Sremmurd, Kelela's EP (which I liked, but wasn't as great as the songs on VEGA). I liked VEGA INTL. a lot lot more than the three mentioned, especially since Compton and Sremmlife don't really compare to the highlight moments on VEGA.

Other than that, it isn't that bad of a list. I'll change my wording of the link.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I've listened to "Alright" about 5 times, first Kendrick Lamar song I've ever heard. I'm going to check out all the other stuff in the thread too. Glad I clicked on it.
Oh man you are in for a treat. Alright is decent...nothing great, but decent...in fact I would call Alright pretty alright.

Edit: I think Drake's album IYRTITL, is terrible except for the first three songs...I'm going to give it another shot.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
50 Best Albums of the Year

Top 10

G5rsCJd.jpg

J0oZOPw.jpg

2. Jamie xx - In Colour

hYMq1qG.jpg

3. Grimes - Art Angels
FYf9XGJ.jpg

TeylDsd.jpg

hOcLQpN.jpg

6. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie & Lowell

ZCpeKoy.jpg

7. D'Angelo / The Vanguard - Black Messiah

91U42ph.jpg

8. Miguel - Wildheart

odhLFyp.jpg

2sDdmCL.jpg

butzopower

proud of his butz
In Colour is my #1. Saw Jamie twice this year and both times he completely killed it. Need to give TPAB another listen.

klonere

Banned
A 3 hour jazz album in the Pitchfork Top 10 is a testament to The Epic's listenability. Seriously I encourage everybody in the thread to check the album, its very accessible and full of variety.

Do Song of the Year lists only include officially released singles? I think Momma and These Walls are far superior to Alright. Heck, Alight is the second weakest single after King Kunta off of TPAB.

doubt it. i remember there being a nicki minaj diss track on the list last year, i don't you can even buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom