• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

00planet_coaster_logo4ouzv.png

“TO ALL THAT COME TO THIS HAPPY PLACE, WELCOME!"
-Walt Disney

VISIT OUR CREATIVE COMMUNITY POST HERE!

01welcometoplanetcoask3uqm.png

OFFICIAL LAUNCH TRAILER

Planet Coaster is the next generation of theme park simulation games. 12 years after RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Frontier brings us the spiritual successor of that game. And its not a surprise, as Frontier was the studio that made RCT3 and its excellent expansions, and helped Chris Sawyer with the expansions of RCT2. And even with this 12 year gap, Frontier has amassed experience in the theme park game territory, working on games like Thrillville, Disneyland Kinect Adventures, Coaster Crazy and Screamride, helping shape some of Planet Coaster's development.

So why dont you join us build your dream park in the biggest theme park simulation game ever?

02priceandrequirementdvu5x.png

Date: November 17th 2016 on STEAM
Price:
image0001aau0c.png

image00047cu2o.png
$44.99
image0002hhukp.png
37.99€
image0003y7uj0.png
£29.99

Minimum:

Processor: Intel i5-2300/AMD FX-4300
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GTX 560 (2GB)/AMD Radeon 7850 (2GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8 GB available space
Recommended:

Processor: Intel i7-4770/AMD FX-8350
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: nVidia GTX 980 (4GB)/AMD R9 380 (4GB)
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8 GB available space
03thegamecreatedqu68.png

Piece-by-Piece Construction: Planet Coaster makes a designer out of everyone. Lay paths, build scenery, customize rides and make everything in your park unique with piece-by-piece construction and over a thousand unique building components.

Landscape Sculpting:
Play with nature and reshape the land beneath your feet. Sculpt the landscape to raise mountains, form lakes, dig caverns and even build islands in the sky, then weave coasters through your park above ground and below.

Total Authenticity: Recreate your favorite rides or leave the real world at the door. However you love to play, the most realistic rides and most realistic reactions from your guests make Planet Coaster the most authentic simulation ever.
04thegamemanagehfugk.png

Simulation Evolved: The deepest park simulation in gaming history rewards your skills and makes management fun. Control every aspect of your guests’ experience and watch as Planet Coaster’s world reacts to your choices in an instant.

A Living World: Every park guest is an expressive individual who thinks, feels and explores your park with their own interests and desires. Together Planet Coaster’s guests will tell you at a glance just how well your park is run.

Park Management: You’re the boss with accessible controls that make management fun. Test your skills in a campaign of creative scenarios, or just build for fun and tweak your parks to surprise, delight and thrill your guests.
05thegameshareqrua8.png

Communal Creation: Planet Coaster links coaster fanatics and creators around the world with the Steam Workshop community hub. Trade scenery, rollercoasters and even entire parks with other players, and add the world’s wildest creations to your own park.

Be Inspired:
Discover new content from the world’s best coaster park creators every day. Browse and download content from your favorite creators, or choose from the latest designs selected by the Planet Coaster dev team.

Share Your Creativity: Whether it’s a magnificent ice cream shop or the world’s most thrilling coaster, build it, name it and share it with the planet. Join a community of creators and see your designs appear in parks around the world.
06thegamecontents1eu3n.png

-Campaign Mode: 12 different scenarios each with their own little story and problems to solve. Each scenario has 3 difficulty medals to beat.

-Challenge Mode: Build your theme park with every management aspect of the game. Try to get you theme park going and dont lose money. The game throws you also different challenges. Theres 3 difficulty options on challenge mode.

-Sandbox Mode: Build your dream theme park with any worry and everything unlocked. Your imagination is the limit here, and a perfect place to work on those real theme park recreations.

-5 biomes: 5 different places to build your park between Tropical, Desert, Grassland, Alpine and Deciduous, each with different lighting and terrain textures.

-28 flatrides, including the teacups, the giant crazy ferris wheel, a top spin, venetian carroussel, and many more.

-28 coasters, including B&M inverted, hyper and floorless, Maurer Söhne's spinning coaster, Vekoma's mine train, Arrow's corckscrew... And of course the giants, CCI's wooden coaster and super new RMC's hybrid coaster.

-7 tracked rides, including transports like the Railroad, Monorrail, waterides like the log flumes and river rapids, and dark ride tracks.

-Lots of shops and other utilities to give your guests what the want. All this shops can be rethemed by you to whatever thing you like.

-6 different themes between Modern, Pirate, Fairytale, Western, Sci Fi and the Art Shapes. 6 themes only you say? Well, all this themes were made so you can mix and match to get completly new ones. Steampunk? Art noveau? Vikings? Greek? make a mona lisa piece by piece with the art shapes? Everything that you can imagine, you can make it. The sky is the limit!

-10 mascots including Coaster King, Gulpee Rex, Princess Amelie, Ellie the Sherif... and a mascot created, thanks to an open contest at Frontier, by yours truly, Foxy Coffee, the hipster fox coffee lover with a heart of gold!

-Event triggers for animated objects in the game, like lights and animatronics. Create your perfect dark rides!

-Use your own music to make onboard audio for your coasters, flat rides and track rides, or just use it around the park.

-The audio is one of the most incredible things you will find in the game. Go to guest level and here the sounds so similar to a real theme park you will be surprised is a game. Or hear the incredible work put into the sounds of all coasters and rides, that feel like the real thing. No more vacuum cleaning coaster sounds, hooray!

-Full steam workshop integration so you can download buildings of the Planet Coaster community, great for looking for inspiration or just becuase you prefer to manage your parks instead of building it but still want it to look good.
07andthefutureqtuhg.png

Most importantly, Planet Coaster is a game planned to last for multiple years, just like RCT3 did. What this means is, Frontier is going to offer free updates (rides, improvements on gameplay...) and full expansions (completly new gameplay expriences like soaked! and wild! for RCT3), during its whole life. Does this mean the game released is not complete? NOPE, the game has everything working now, has every type of ride that will be expanded for years to come, and has as much gameplay as the old RCT1 and 2.
For now we know Go Karts is one of the next rides they want to include when they finish it.
And as Frontier says, if the game sells, content will keep coming.
08faqo2uui.png

Is this game available for Mac?
Nope.

Where are the security guards from older games?
Security guards were planned (theres multiple dev videos showing them) and then scrapped because they weren't any fun (not surprising as they were the most basic and unfun management thing from the originals). Frontier has said that they will try to implement them in another way to have them in the game in the future, so stay tuned.

And weather?
Planned and working on it. Same as umbrellas of course.

Why is the path system not doing what I want?
The path system takes some time to get accoustumed too, but once you get it, you will be able to make every path you want with all the improvements thay have been adding during the beta, including the olds RCT square style. Just remember to do not use angle snap when wanting to go more advanced, and use Z to make diagonals.

I want to take a screen without the UI. How?
Press "Right Ctrl+Right Shift+G" and voila!

And any recommendation to upload my screens to GAF or any other internet site?
I recommend using abload, will not compress your beautifull screenshots.

Wheres UGC, RCTW has it, why not Planet Coaster?
Maybe planned for the distant future, they want people to play creating new themes or whatever you want using the tools in the game. Also RCTW is crap and they included it so people finished the game for them. And who knows, maybe unofficial modding comes to the scene like with RCT3.

It's the game Steam only?
Yes, because one of the most important aspects is the use of the steam workshop to create blueprints and share parks.

Is there a limit for the blueprints?
You can import to your game as many blueprints as you want, but theres a 2000 piece limit for blueprints when you create them, so take that into account when you want to make a building for sharing it.

Ive seen someone on youtube creating an AMAZING building, but when I try it seems difficult and takes too much time.
Remember that Rome wasn't build on a day, guys like Silvarret and me take 10 hours to create some of the most complex buildings, sometimes even more. It may look easy and fast on timelapse, but theres a lot of work to be done. Remember, be creative and have fun, thats the most important thing. Also lots of members of the community will help you making realisitc theme parks if you need help.
09reviews68ub4.png

Idiotech Review Score: Highly Recommended
10mediahtugz.png

Screens:

E3 2015 Reveal Trailer

Do you want to use one of the mascots I drew for the trhead as an avatar? then this is your chance!
smallavatar001v5uub.png
smallavatar002xpu6f.png
smallavatar0039cuny.png
smallavatar004qzu2q.png
smallavatar005j2ux8.png
smallavatar006wfuzu.png

smallavatar007dvu4f.png
smallavatar008b2uby.png
smallavatar009h4u4j.png
smallavatar010t1uty.png
smallavatar0115eucx.png
smallavatar012g6uwa.png

And bigger versions:
COASTER KING

GULPEE REX

CHIEF BEEF

PIRATE KING

PRINCESS AMELIE

COSMIC COW

FOXY COFFEE

SHERIFF ELIE

DEXT-R

TIKI CHIKI

MECHANIC

JANITOR

11neogafcreativecommu47uc8.png

We invite everyone at GAF that has the game to post their creations, can be screens, videos, parks or building blueprints from the Steam Workshop.

If you want to post something you can add your steam username, and I will put it here so people can add you as friends, with your avatar and links to some of your works.

SpacePirate Ridley
image.php

STEAM username: SP Ridley
Best screen:
https://abload.de/img/planetcoaster2016-11-38k4b.png
Posts: On-Ride Photo | Coaster at dawn | Roman camp | Ports of the World
Workshop Items:
Painting Series: Bob Ross Landscape (Theming)

Mik2121
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
YxSwzDs.jpg

D-Pad
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
planetcoaster11_18_20uuxik.png

Workshop Items:

Boba2007
image.php

STEAM username: Boba2007
Best Screen:
Vr4rGhz.jpg

Workshop Items:

Pixel Warrior
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
B7BF64905B85B1678568239E2F246E14C6F9458A

Workshop Items:

davidbruy
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
qX2P4YV.jpg

Workshop Items:

Unicorn
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
EE57084C8B523BC0A0EEB179969688DF77FDE498

Ghost of Jerome

AngryChinchilla
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
ALqXZTk.jpg

Workshop Items:

Mikeside
image.php

STEAM username: mikeside
Best Screen:
downloadcky72.jpg

Workshop Items:
Pirate Hat Shop

fugimax
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
pc_hyrule_4.jpg

| Kakariko Village (Video)Workshop Items:

Data West
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
955B314FC18CCF0EA372D0B0E0FF675DE6017C54

Workshop Items:

Baron von Loathsome
image.php

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
cBNub3K.jpg

Workshop Items:

PREC0GNITIVE

STEAM username:
Best Screen:
Q1XeY0J.jpg

Workshop Items:

STEAM username:
Best Screen:

[/QUOTE]

Kabouter

Woohoo :)
Last post from alpha thread, still working on this park:
Work in progress day/night shots of the fantasy/medieval area in my park. Tents have shops in them, saved me from having to actually design a non-ugly building. Oh, the large fountain is (of course) from the workshop, the rest (again obviously) is my own work:

Was pretty happy with how this worked out in my first beta park, might try to do something like it again in my new park:

So I've worked hard on Atlantica World today and I'm about halfway done with the first 'segment' of the park, which is this sort of medieval / magical sector. I'm planning to at least make a pirate section on the other side of the park.

So like I said, I use Steam Workshop freely and a lot of these buildings can be found on Steam Workshop. So half of why the park looks so good is the hard work of other talented players! The other half is the planning - I think it's very important that the park looks real, that people who visit it are transported to another world so to speak. I spend infinite more time on details like decoration, plants, cool roads, mountains, houses, stuff like that. The rides themselves are just a nice extra for me.

I'll be posting regular updates if time allows me! Small note, pictures look a biiit sharp even though Ive uploaded with abload, but I assure you it looks wonderful on my pc. Although the details you see in the distant with the camera zoomed out get less impressive the more you build, imo.

Well done on the OT Ridley, can't wait to see what everyone creates!

Think I'm going to jump into the Career Scenarios at first, because I hit a serious case of analysis paralysis just starting straight away in challenge mode during the beta.

Hm. Never played any of the old RC tycoons. I'll put this one on my list.

Also, because I have not seen it mentioned, but this game runs Denuvo.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
How CPU intensive is this game? I pretty much meet all the requirements except for the processor. I should build a new PC soon.

Woohoo :)
Last post from alpha thread, still working on this park:
Work in progress day/night shots of the fantasy/medieval area in my park. Tents have shops in them, saved me from having to actually design a non-ugly building. Oh, the large fountain is (of course) from the workshop, the rest (again obviously) is my own work:

Was pretty happy with how this worked out in my first beta park, might try to do something like it again in my new park:

So I've worked hard on Atlantica World today and I'm about halfway done with the first 'segment' of the park, which is this sort of medieval / magical sector. I'm planning to at least make a pirate section on the other side of the park.

So like I said, I use Steam Workshop freely and a lot of these buildings can be found on Steam Workshop. So half of why the park looks so good is the hard work of other talented players! The other half is the planning - I think it's very important that the park looks real, that people who visit it are transported to another world so to speak. I spend infinite more time on details like decoration, plants, cool roads, mountains, houses, stuff like that. The rides themselves are just a nice extra for me.

I'll be posting regular updates if time allows me! Small note, pictures look a biiit sharp even though Ive uploaded with abload, but I assure you it looks wonderful on my pc. Although the details you see in the distant with the camera zoomed out get less impressive the more you build, imo.

Loving your work guys! remmeber to post your steam usernames so i can start adding people to the Cretive Community post!

Also, it seems I didnt need to send that PM to kabouter hahahaha

Oh yeah and well done on the OT! Wanted to post my previous post in the alpha topic and just as i hit post, i noticed it was locked. Just in time :)

So the sandbox/creative elements seem good.

But how is the actual park management?

Havent tested it yet but ive read in the alpha topic its comparable to RCT3. Someone with more experience will probably chime in here.

Its def a dream for creative folks though.

How CPU intensive is this game? I pretty much meet all the requirements except for the processor. I should build a new PC soon.

More CPU intensive than GPU. I recommend and i7 if you buy a new pc.

Hm. Never played any of the old RC tycoons. I'll put this one on my list.

Also, because I have not seen it mentioned, but this game runs Denuvo.

Not giving much problems, thank god for that. I know denuvo is not the best thing ever, it was added in alpha 3 becuase 1 and 2 where hacked as soon as released, while it seems alpha 3 and the final version havent.

U2NUMB

Oh shit its out tomorrow? Ok so I bought a copy through their website months ago.. I am supposed to get a steam key as well right?

What are the impressions so far? Guessing this will replace RCT2

See, I liked Cities Skylines but hated the weak, weak management aspect. Really hoping this scratches my tycoon itch, as micromanaging is as important to me as building

D-Pad

Just exited the game after a nice building session to find the OT has gone live! Awesome work~

I'm really loving all of those screens up there. What I've built so far pales in comparison when it comes to theming. I'm more of a Six Flags park kind of guy ;P

Tagyhag

I think the most exciting thing for me will be seeing what real life models people put on the Workshop.

If I can 1:1 recreate Disneyland I'll be amazed.

Tainted

See, I liked Cities Skylines but hated the weak, weak management aspect. Really hoping this scratches my tycoon itch, as micromanaging is as important to me as building

From what I have gathered, the management aspect was added very late in development and not as fully fleshed out as the rest of the features. This is just from reading comments and watching a few streams....owners of the game and SPR can probably comment on this further.

I'm still going to buy it regardless...I love the tools available and look fantastic, I'm sure the tycoon aspect will be improved upon over time.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Oh shit its out tomorrow? Ok so I bought a copy through their website months ago.. I am supposed to get a steam key as well right?

Go into your account page there and there should be a link on the left where you can get keys for your products. (you might need to click a link on the right to reveal the Steam key if you didn't already)
---
I never did get around to using my beta access, ha. At least it was cheap. I'll be digging into this more this weekend.

D-Pad

See, I liked Cities Skylines but hated the weak, weak management aspect.
Really hoping this scratches my tycoon itch, as micromanaging is as important to me as building

Have you heard of Parkitect? It even looks like RCT 2 in some ways and the management features seem deeper. Last I heard the game has you building facilities and paths that deliver goods to the shops in your park, as well as one that sends off the trash. So way deeper than anything I'm expecting Planet Coaster to do.

That said PLanet Coaster is slightly better than RCT3 from what I hear, which to some isn't enough. Depends on what you're looking for I think. Seems geared more towards building to me.

From what I have gathered, the management aspect was added very late in development and not as fully fleshed out as the rest of the features. This is just from reading comments and watching a few streams....owners of the game and SPR can probably comment on this further.

I'm still going to buy it regardless...I love the tools available and look fantastic, I'm sure the tycoon aspect will be improved upon over time.

:(

Im hoping someone will give me a detailed answer, but thanks for the info!

I just want something very deep. I love looking at stats and adjusting prices, and managing budget, and getting challenges that stress my finances.

Compared to Skylines, it was so easy to always have cash, there were no long term management issues, and you could easily borrow from the bank and pay them back. The mods were just too messy and constantly broke my game.

Have you heard of Parkitect? It even looks like RCT 2 in some ways and the management features seem deeper. Last I heard the game has you building facilities and paths that deliver goods to the shops in your park, as well as one that sends off the trash. So way deeper than anything I'm expecting Planet Coaster to do.

That said PLanet Coaster is slightly better than RCT3 from what I hear, which to some isn't enough. Depends on what you're looking for I think. Seems geared more towards building to me.

Thanks! Id be quite happy if its as good as RCT2 or 3, Ill look into Parkitect as that has been recommended already by some. Enjoy the launch!

FinalRPG

Neo Member
Anybody know if I could run this on a Surface Pro 4? I've been thinking of upgrading to one, and was hoping it would be able to handle this

RS4-

I wish I had won this game instead of RCTW (which I didn't realize came out today lol).

I guess I'll boot it up and hate myself for not being able to play PC yet.

Game is great so far during the beta. Unfortunately, my park is not ready for the limelight, but I'll be eager to show you Exotica Falls when I think it's ready.

I'd upload a preview screenshot or two, but Imgur is shitting itself and I don't want to make an abload account.

Holy shit OP youre the creator of the coffee fox? Honored to meet you haha!

YUP!
This is what i sent Frontier. With a bunch of documents lol (also her voice was done by Bo Marit, the awesome community manager)
04foxyfinaldesignewurc.png

Thats not really true. The management part was always there from the start of development (I say this becuase I saw it when i was at Frontier, and they described everything to us, including the security guards having to be scrapped and ohter things I cant talk about still). Its just that they didnt let us tests management at full until the beta.

You can find it not deep enough of course.

:(

I just want something very deep. I love looking at stats and adjusting prices, and managing budget, and getting challenges that stress my finances.

Compared to Skylines, it was so easy to always have cash, there were no long term management issues, and you could easily borrow from the bank and pay them back. The mods were just too messy and constantly broke my game.

Thanks! Id be quite happy if its as good as RCT2 or 3, Ill look into Parkitect as that has been recommended already by some. Enjoy the launch!

Theres stats, you can change every price you want, you can do multiple things, but at the end of th day is as "basic" as RCT2 (better than RCT3 as management never fully worked becuase of the family group bug the game had).
It doesnt have the deep end of Parkitect, but that game is built to be deep in that aspect, things like having trash tubes, needing to ask for food and materials and your workers needing to transport stiff to the shop... Thigs that IMO I dont need in a theme park game.
Its true that they could deepen some stuff like staff getting tired and having to build an staff room, etc... (if they get tired and you dont pay them enough, they just quit now), but Im having fun with something that plays exactly like RCT2 and a few new details here and there.
I know for some that is crap and want more, others (like me) are ok with it, and even others are hating theres too much micromanagement now (there are some threads like that on the frontier forums).
Its hard to please everyone with this type of game it seems, as Planet Coaster is probably the most creative simulator ever done, and thats it major strenght.

I wish I had won this game instead of RCTW (which I didn't realize came out today lol).

I guess I'll boot it up and hate myself for not being able to play PC yet.

My prayers are with you :(

Tainted

Thats not really true. The management part was always there from the start of development (I say this becuase I saw it when i was at Frontier, and they described everything to us, including the security guards having to be scrapped and ohter things I cant talk about still). Its just that they didnt let us tests management at full until the beta.

You can find it not deep enough of course.

Fair enough, I knew you would probably be the best one to clarify that here. I guess I got confused between the length of time it had been available in the alpha/betas and when it was added in the development cycle.

alexbull_uk

I've really fallen in love with this game. I'm not massively into the management side yet, but just building parks is so much fun on its own.

Frontier has done a great job.

Fair enough, I knew you would probably be the best one to clarify that here. I guess I got confused between the length of time it had been available in the alpha/betas and when it was added in the development cycle.

Dont worry, I know some people are trying circulate the rumour that management is not deep because it was just done some weeks ago, and thats simply not true, but im not surprised if people that read that as first source believe it as first until its explained better.

Im not trying to defend the management here of course, if some people dont find it deep enough, I undertand why they would say it (I even find it could be a little deeper in some parts), but its not because of some "lazy devs" rumour.

Tagyhag

YUP!
This is what i sent Frontier. With a bunch of documents lol (also her voice was done by Bo Marit, the awesome community manager)
04foxyfinaldesignewurc.png

Darn you OP, I've already seen some perverted stuff with Foxy. This is supposed to be a family game!

Not but seriously, awesome job, it's a great design. Gulpee Rex is cool too.

Fuchsdh

I'm definitely interested in this, but if there's no Mac version, no dice for me. I can wait and see if RCTW improves. RCT3 still is a blast to play.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm interested in this game, but I'm perhaps even more interested in how this game will change and grow. What is the best way to track changes and additions made?

Merino

Waiting on impressions of the campaign. I've realized I really want a challenging campaign that makes me juggle resources

Will update both of you around friday with more impressions on the campaign and the challenge of the management simulation.

In the beta I found the management to leave much desired and the challenge in the campaign was not there at all.

Darn you OP, I've already seen some perverted stuff with Foxy. This is supposed to be a family game!

Not but seriously, awesome job, it's a great design. Gulpee Rex is cool too.

Oh shit, dont tell me theres rule 34 already from her.
I dont know to laugh at how fast it appeared or cry becuase of the perverted stuff lol
I have to say, im really not that surprise though, i hope its at least well drawn (I have to weak of a heart to look for it myself) lol

I'm definitely interested in this, but if there's no Mac version, no dice for me. I can wait and see if RCTW improves. RCT3 still is a blast to play.

It will never ever, not in a million years, improve. I can assure you that.
Zombie atari is going to go bankrupt (again, and probably next year) before that game gets anywhere.

In fact, it wouldnt surprise me if a mac version of Planet Coaster appears before RCTW goes anywhere decent.

The OP mentions a $36 price, but all I see is $40.50?

Im still seeing the 10% cheaper price.
Maybe the dollars one is wrong? cant see the american store.

EDIT
Small correction, the US Price is $44.99 regular, $40.49 after the pre-order 10% discount

Thanks guys, seems the website I looked for it was wrong. Going to change it.

Wouldnt surprise me if the pounds one is also wrong, maybe someone can check it?

Piano

Banned
Will update both of you around friday with more impressions on the campaign and the challenge of the management simulation.

In the beta I found the management to leave much desired and the challenge in the campaign was not there at all.

I'm curious to hear about this as well. As I posted in the other thread:

"Is the campaign mode any good in this? I loved the campaign in RCT1&2 but thought it was eh in RCT3.

And has it got enough going on for those who don't care about scenery? I mostly enjoyed building various types of coasters in RCT1-3, not meticulously placing benches."

The Argus

Awesome game has an awesome OT. Loved every moment I had with the beta, excited to see what Frontier and the blueprint community comes up with next.

I'm hoping for even greater optimization (I'm on an OC 3770K at 4.5, 16GB DDR3 at 2100, and a 290X running stock speeds and hovering at 26-40 FPS for a medium sized/detailed park on high preset). But honestly, I built my mega RCT3 parks on the same rig at half the frame rate and did just fine.

As an early adopter of RCT:W, I can say the only thing I miss is the custom imported models from Workshop. That's one thing that made Cities Skyline even bigger and better.

Top Bottom