• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Planet Coaster |OT| The Tycoon King is Dead, Long Live the Coaster King!

Brohan

My gf would love this but it says the minimum specs are a hd7850 but she only has a hd7770... (CPU is a 3570k)

Think her PC could handle?

Fletcher

Have loved rct since I played the demo for the first one years ago. Had no idea this existed. Super excited to get home and play.

Lister

Banned
How will I find the time for all these games? Just barely getting my toes wet with Tyranny, still playing Civ VI and Stellaris here and there, and now this time sink?

fantomena

Im at the edge of buying the game, but still not sure. If I liked the good old Rollercoaster Tycoon will I like this one as well?

Im at the edge of buying the game, but still not sure. If I liked the good old Rollercoaster Tycoon will I like this one as well?

Probably. Most of the campaign hasn't been played yet so we can't say much about it if management is your main focus. But if you're largely interested in building and designing, then absolutely. Its creative toolbox is leagues ahead of anything else in the genre.

D-Pad

Version 1.0 is now!

Greetings everyone! Today is a very special day to all of us here at Frontier. With the poke of a button, flick of a switch, pure dedication, and love poured into Planet Coaster, we are thrilled to state that we've left beta and are now at v1.0.0 of Planet Coaster. Below are our 1.0 patch notes.

Planet Coaster: Thrillseeker Edition
  • The Planet Coaster Official Soundtrack. Enjoy an hours' worth of pleasure to your ears!
  • The Planet Coaster Digital Sketchbook. Let your imagination run wild with the sketchbook!
  • What's better than the normal Coaster King mascot? The Golden Coaster King mascot!
  • Why not show off your wares, your guests have the Golden Avatar baseball hat unlocked!

Planet Coaster
  • Final Steam achievements. There's 31 of those shinies, build and conquer!
  • Steam trading cards.
  • All 12 scenarios.
  • Tutorial videos. Whether you are new to the genre or just need a refresher, we have you covered with our tutorials!
  • Stability improvements.
  • Further tweaks to texture streaming system.

As always, thank you for your continued feedback and support, we are truly grateful for you joining us for the ride!

For those looking for file sizes to the update, if you were on 0.9.6, the update is about 410MB. If you are just getting started, the game is about 5.3GB.

Here are the tutorial videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px9BaHac-Tw&list=PLWGb27faVkpOra_jvHAg_6BXt9otpKHtl

Staab

Yay, installing now, 45minutes to go :D
As expected, no big surprises for the official launch ?
Time to watch the tutorials

Krakn3Dfx

Going to look at impressions today, this will probably be my go to next week during my Thanksgiving time off.

A good coaster building sim would basically be my Civ 6.

Wow, the digital artbook is actually pretty great, I actually didnt know they chose my mascot becuase they felt animals where missing from their mascot lineup.

Also they have stories explaining each mascots if they existed in real life. Like the story of ellie being a can can girl that turned sheriff, or Chief Beef having sometuime of robocop story lol

Also the you need to beat scenarios to unlock hte next ones, just like in RCT1!

Sevenfold

Great OT Ridley and already some amazing creations. Gonna be fun in here. Subbed.
1.0 downloading now and sketchbook and sublime ost too :D

dock

00planet_coaster_logo4ouzv.png
;__; I liked that panda!
Great OT though.

Intru

My gf would love this but it says the minimum specs are a hd7850 but she only has a hd7770... (CPU is a 3570k)

Think her PC could handle?

No, the HD7770 is quite a lot weaker than the 7850. You'd have to upgrade the GPU. CPU is fine though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I have nowhere near the time to play this since I went back to school for another degree. When I get out............

Merino

I appreciate that. The challenge mode sounds like a lot of fun, and it's those aspects I crave.
Having booted the final release version now and having seen the campaign/career scenario's I can say at least for this part of the game (as much as it pains me) they did not change the balance or made it very interesting at all based on our beta feedback.

RockPaperShotgun has this to say about the career mode in their review:
Then there’s Career mode, which is a little bit rubbish. At first, I thought it was what Challenge mode turned out to be, given the name, but instead it’s a short series of scenarios that are dreadfully dull. You’re given a small, pre-built park, three objectives, and that’s pretty much it. The objectives are inane tasks, like earn a certain amount of money, or build an exciting roller coaster, and when you do them, you get stars. Well done.

So don't go in it expecting a really engaging and challenging campaign mode. I can't say much about the balance in the hard challenge mode but I don't think it has changed much as the underlying balance and management issues are still there also.

I personally think PCGamer is spot on with their 7 grade stating that it hasn't done much to innovate the formula of theme park management.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
How will I find the time for all these games? Just barely getting my toes wet with Tyranny, still playing Civ VI and Stellaris here and there, and now this time sink?

With Planet Coaster alongside with the excellent Motorsport Manager that just came out last week and Project Highrise a bit earlier, it's a good time for simulation fans.

Now we just need a modern remake of Sid Meier's SimGolf. :(

Krakn3Dfx

RPS review ends with

Like Cities: Skylines, Planet Coaster gives new life to the management genre, and even if the launch version does little to improve what I’ve played during the beta, this would still be essential for anyone who dreams of packing in their old job and running a theme park.

Pretty much all I needed to hear. Will be picking this up.

Hip Hop

hmm

very intensive game on near max settings.

Downloaded a park that is pretty well built, with half the map size used.

with about 4k people, getting around 20fps.

GTX 970
i5 3570k
1080p

roytheone

Having booted the final release version now and having seen the campaign/career scenario's I can say at least for this part of the game (as much as it pains me) they did not change the balance or made it very interesting at all based on our beta feedback.

RockPaperShotgun has this to say about the career mode in their review:

So don't go in it expecting a really engaging and challenging campaign mode. I can't say much about the balance in the hard challenge mode but I don't think it has changed much as the underlying balance and management issues are still there also.

I personally think PCGamer is spot on with their 7 grade stating that it hasn't done much to innovate the formula of theme park management.

Wait, reading that pcgamer article....rollercoaster tycoon: world released yesterday???? I haven't heard a single thing from that.

hmm

GTX 970
i5 3570k
1080p

Game has a lot of little pieces, its only natural. I welcome any and all optimization patches, though.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
This seems just like my kind of game, but nothing I can afford at the moment. Shame there's no trial/demo.

Robbaz has been playing this, episode four was published yesterday: https://youtu.be/LAPnlhmsyCo

shanew21

hmm

GTX 970
i5 3570k
1080p
Very CPU heavy. Adjust your graphics options and you'll notice your FPS won't improve much. People with OCd i7 procs are generally having more luck

Mikeside

I played alpha one and a little alpha 2, but held off after that so I didn't get burnt out.

Came back in for the beta and so far I've spent about 40 hours. This game is fantastic

The management IS a bit weak currently, but the creative tools are unrivalled. I really hope they add more variety to the current themes, then focus on adding some more.

shanew21

I played alpha one and a little alpha 2, but held off after that so I didn't get burnt out.

Came back in for the beta and so far I've spent about 40 hours. This game is fantastic

The management IS a bit weak currently, but the creative tools are unrivalled. I really hope they add more variety to the current themes, then focus on adding some more.

I wish there were some more pieces of scenery and a few more flat rides (and dark rides) but currently it's a really strong foundation. I'm expecting a similar trajectory to Elite Dangerous, which was somewhat underwhelming at launch but improved dramatically post-launch.

For anyone wanting more scenery, check out the steam workshop. Loaaaads of cool buildings there if you arent that creative or not adjusted to the building yourself yet.

I love the orchestral versions of the main theme (Welcome To Planet Coaster and Journey to Planet Coaster I think they're called). Great for speakers in the park entrance/main street, it captures that magic perfectly. The attention to detail in the audio in general is pretty staggering.

Nyx

Got 3 stars in the first career park.
Noticed they changed the 3rd star requirement from 'make 10k profit a month' to 'acquire 15k'.

That surely helped, in the beta I tried several times but could not get the third star.

Also still having trouble building cool coasters that do not make people scared or sick. Tried the tips some people gave me in the older thread (banking turns and such), but so far no good. I'll practice some more in the weekend too.

Top Bottom