• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ushiwaka

For everything PlatinumGames related!

This is a community thread for PlatinumGames, one of the most talented developers in the gaming world. We can discuss their games, the studio itself and all the things related to them. But before we start, let’s have a quick review of Platinum and their history.

alWx5Oo.png

Clover Studio

The story began with a group of passionate game developers gathering together and starting a game studio. The “Creativity Lovers” named their studio “Clover” and started to make awesome, fun, creative and beautiful masterpieces. Shinji MIkami, Hideki Kamiya and Atsushi Inaba took the helm of Clover and guided the studio through the rough seas of this industry. Clover focused on making great new IPs rather than sequels and truly succeeded in doing so in its short lived life.

XxtajaQ.png

Viewtiful Joe

Kamiya being crazy as always. After Devil May Cry, Kamiya decided to make another crazy action-focused game. Viewtiful Joe is about Joe, a movie lover who finds himself in Movieland, where his girlfriend, Salvia is kidnapped. He meets with his favorite superhero, Capitan Blue and receives a V-Watch from him and his crazy, Viewtiful journey begins. Viewtiful Joe has its own unique style of mixing 2D and 3D visuals and gameplay with amazing combat. The behind the game (Team Viewtiful) wanted the game to create “a challenging game with stunning visuals and fluid gameplay” and I’ll be damned if that wasn’t what they created. Viewtiful Joe was somewhat a commercial success. The game was followed by an anime TV series and three other games (Viewtiful Joe 2, Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble and Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble!). To this day, fans are waiting to see Viewtiful Joe 3.

IC6cyL6.png

Okami

Next original IP from Clover was another Kamiya masterpiece, but this time, not an action game, but an adventure one. Okami tells the legend of Amaterasu, the Goddess of sun who took the form of a white wolf and had been awaken to defeat Orochi and finish the job she started 100 years ago. She is not alone in this journey. Issun, (a Poncle. an inch-high, tiny creature), Ushiwaka the mysterious man (ahem ahem), Sakuya the beautiful tree sprite and all the good people of the great Nippon help her to defeat the evil Orochi and his subordinates. Okami was a masterpiece. The great Nippon was illustrated in a breathtaking, cel-shaded, watercolor style/Sumi-e (ink wash) graphics. The game was highly associated with nature and this really affect the gameplay. The team wanted the players to get more involved in the artwork rather than just watching it and thus, the idea Celestial Brush techniques was born. The Celestial Brush let the players to highly interact with the environment of the game. Okami won various awards for its art design, the fantastic music and great story. The game also won various Game of The year awards. Although Okami was a critical success, the game didn’t sell well, but because of its big fanbase, Capcom decided to make another game in the franchise. In 2010/2011 Capcom released Okamiden, an indirect sequel to Okami for Nintendo DS. Okamiden was not made by Clover. To this day, fans are waiting to see the true sequel to Okami by its original creators.

Rtwqqhs.png

God Hand

Mikami being crazy. God Hand was a beat ‘em up/brawler action which focused on hand to hand combat rather than using weapon. The story was about Gene, who possesses the powerful “God Hand” and Olivia who accompanies him through the fucked up, bat-shit crazy world of the game. The first Idea for the game came about when Mikami and Inaba were discussing action games and the overuse of weapons in them. They decided to make an action game focused on hand to hand combat for the hardcore action gamers. Later on, more humor was added to the game and God Hand was born. Like every Clover game, fans and reviewers (minus that one guy from IGN) loved the game, but the sales weren’t good. In fact the game sold even less than Okami. To this day, fans are waiting for God Hand 2.

H2BlWZq.jpg

The Clover Closure Incident and PlatinumGames

After releasing God Hand, Capcom went loco and shut down Clover. EA Style. Apparently the existence of Clover was in conflict with their EA-like strategies. After the clover closure, Mikami, Kamiya, Inaba and most of the staff at Clover decided to form their own independent studio. They named their studio Seeds Inc. which later merged with ODD Incorporated in October 2007 and was renamed to PlatinumGames Inc. Again, they decided to focus on creating new IPs in this sequel driven industry. In a partnership with SEGA, PlatinumGames started to create more amazing experiences.

xaGqj3E.png

MadWorld

Platinum’s first game after the Clover incident was MadWorld. A Black and white, violent, beat ‘em up directed by Shigenori Nishikawa. MadWorld was about Jack, a chainsaw wielding badass who enters Varrigan City, a city turned into a killing game show, DeathWatch. The players had to kill the enemies to unlock the final boss and there were a lot of fun ways to achieve that. Using the environmental elements or using weapon such as that badass chainsaw or other stuff like a baseball bat. The team wanted to create a unique and violent experience on Wii that would be fun and attractive, and according to most of the fans and reviewers they succeeded in doing so.

QbUNAZn.png

Infinite Space

Next up was Infinite Space. A collaboration between Nude Maker and PlatinumGames for Nintendo DS. Infinite Space was a sci-fi RPG with spaceship simulation elements. The game was a mixture of 2D and 3D graphics and featured an amazing story with great characters. The game was praised by fans and reviewers for its epic story and the game’s fun battles. The game was even compared with Mass Effect series in terms of being a good space opera.

VChBJWS.png

Bayonetta

Another masterpiece by Hideki Kamiya. Words cannot even begin to describe how crazy this game is. From the first second to the last one. Kamiya decided to get back to the character action (or Hack and Slash, or whatever you call it) world and push the genre forward. Bayonetta, the Umbran witch, wakes up from a 500 year sleep, not knowing who she is and looking for the truth about her past. As she continues her journey, she meets up with Jeanne, a woman who appears to know about Bayonetta’s past. The amazing, fast paced, insane and over the top gameplay of Bayonetta blew fans and reviewers away. Mechanics like Dodge Offset and Witch Time and tons of unlockable content made Bayonetta’s gameplay a timeless masterpiece. The crazy character and environment design completed the over the top package that was Bayonetta. Although according to Platinum the game didn’t sell as much as they hoped, the game was somewhat a commercial success. Bayonetta quickly maintained a cult following among the action fans.

Z8TdwUj.png

Vanquish

Mikami being crazy again. Vanquish was a third person shooter which was NOT a cover shooter, but a forget-the-cover-and-fight-the-enemies-face-to-face shooter. Vanquish was highly inspired by the anime show Casshern. Both in graphic style and gameplay. The team wanted the game to have the Casshern feeling of speed. The story was about Sam Gaiden, a DARPA agent who was armed with an Augmented Reaction Suit, a suit which had features beyond awesomeness. AR suit had rocket boosters on its knees, could form Sam’s weapons into different shaped and abilities and could also slow down time. Vanquish had a unique gameplay. There was no traditional upgrade whatsoever, the more you played better the more powerful you became. Upgrades were gained by collecting bullets and upgrade boxes, but was lost in the beginning of every mission. The gameplay was fun and fast and was praised by fans and reviewers. Vanquish was the first and the last game by Mikami in PlatinumGames.

V9u7Ewq.png

Anarchy Reigns

Anarchy Reigns was some kind of spiritual successor to MadWorld. Directed by Masaki Yamanaka, Anarchy Reigns was a brawler more focused on multiplayer. In fact the game was the first Platinum game to feature a multiplayer mode (it had single player mode, too). The story was about Jack, the protagonist from MadWorld, and his new adventures with new people such as Sasha Ivanoff, Leonhardt Victorion and The Blacker Baron. AR featured multiple multiplayer modes such as Battle Royale, Capture the Flag, Tag Team, Survival and Death Match.

vlUrXto.png

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was a MGS spin off starring Raiden which first was revealed in E3 2010 as Metal Gear Solid: Rising, but after spending nearly two years in development hell, was handed to Platinum by Kojima and re-revealed in VGA 2011. Directed by Kenji Saito, Rising was a lightning-fast action game which focused on slicing enemies up with a technique called Zandatsu (meaning “cut and take” in Japanese). Rising shared similarities with both Bayonetta and Vanquish, but came out completely different. The parry and the unique combo system made the game to be something new in the character action genre. The soundtrack also was beyond awesomeness. Fans and reviewers both praised the game and there has been talks around the corner about the sequel.

CApRyGZ.png

The Wonderful 101

The next game by Platinum was another superhero action by Kamiya. TW101 was about a group of superheroes by the same name who wanted to save the earth and defeat aliens. With an isometric camera, in TW101 players control a group of heroes instead of just one. The heroes can turn into different weapon and objects called Unite Morphs. TW101 was continuation of Kamiya’s love for Super-sentai super heroes which he previously showed by Viewtiul Joe. In fact, the game is considered to be a spiritual successor to VJ by many fans.

uV21qSk.png

Bayonetta 2

The sequel to Bayonetta, directed by Yusuke Hashimoto. The game continues the story of Bayonetta and her friends where her contract with demons is broken and she should face with the consequences. Less is known about the story or gameplay other than new weapons and a new ability called “Umbran Climax which lets Bayonetta to turn all her moves into a Wicked Weave for a short amount of time and some new characters. Hopefully we will know more about the game in the future.

pVgHqi1.png

Scalebound

Hideki Kamiya's next game. A game about dragons! Exclusively for Xbox One.

UUVMHO7.png

The Legend of Korra

A game based on the TV show The Legend of Korra. Published by Activision.

Twitter:

PlatinumGames’ official Twitter account
Tatsuya Minami (CEO)
Atsushi Inaba
Hideki Kamiya (check his log before asking anything or he’ll fucking block you)
JP Kellams (he also has a GAF account)
Yusuke Hashimoto
Kenji Saito
Masaki Yamanaka
Mari Shimazaki (Not a Platinum staff atm, Bayonetta character designer)

Facebook:

Official Facebook page

Official Websites:

Platinumgames.com (English)
Platinumgames.co.jp (Japanese)

Media

Metal Gear rising: Rvengeance Documentary Part 1
Metal Gear rising: Rvengeance Documentary Part 2

Bayonetta Developer Commentary (Full)

Platinum Concept Movie

PlatinumGames iTunes page

Riki

Bayonetta 2 is my second most anticipated game right now. I've watched all the trailers and footage dozens of times.

joe2187

Banned
The first next gen console im buying is a Wii-U just so I can lather myself in all the PG goo that is W101 and Bayo 2.

God bless this company. They're one of the only ones left who make big, highly polished, gameplay-first, skill-oriented games.

I love pretty much all their games, with God Hand being my favourite. I'm amazed no other game has copied the combat, it really is so satisfying.

atr0cious

Are any of the multiplat games as good as their Xbox360 counter part on PS3? Got rid of my 360, but I really want to play the ones I missed, especially Anarchy Reigns and Vanquish.

Riki

Are any of the multiplat games as good as their Xbox360 counter part on PS3? Got rid of my 360, but I really want to play the ones I missed, especially Anarchy Reigns and Vanquish.

Vanquish is amazing on PS3. AR plays about the same on both.

YO!

Bayo>rising>101>Vanquish>Anarchy

All are fucking solid, but If I had to rank them I would go with this. (I have not played madworld or infinite space)

You guys ever see that making of rising documentary? kojipro were so lost they called up the house of Platinum and Plat had that shit on lock in a couple months, fucking awesome developers.

Zalman

I own:

Viewtiful Joe
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising
The Wonderful 101

And I will buy Bayonetta 2 day one.

Krammy

I'll never understand how Platinum games continually flop in sales. They deserve so much better and have by far one of the best track records of current developers. Every game they've made as both Clover and Platinum have been incredible.

Ushiwaka

You guys XD thanks all of you for the kind replies :)

First thread made when you became a member

XD :p

was partially expecting this XD.

Really? XD :)

You guys ever see that making of rising documentary? kojipro were so lost they called up the house of Platinum and Plat had that shit on lock in a couple months, fucking awesome developers.

Whoa. I didn't know this existed. Do you have a link?

Played through MGR on PC in January, bought a Wii U a month or so ago, got W101 last week (I'm yet to try it as I have other games to play through first) and got this today:

Now I'm just waiting for Bayonetta 2!

Allen Poe

I heard Anarchy Reigns sucked a little bit. is that true?

anyways, as pissed as i am about bayonetta 2 being a Wii-U exclusive, a friend of mine live about 45 seconds away from me has one, and I have informed him multiple times I will be coming over to play it once it drops.

z1ggy

As a long time PC gamer, i recently bought (after playing MG R on PC) a PS3 to play more games from P* (Also, to play Demons Souls and Valkyria Chronicles). So far i played MG R, Bayonetta and Vanquish. I love this studio. And probably, i´m gonna buy a Wii U for 101 and Bayo 2. Because i need more.

My faith in japanese developers has been restored thanx to P* and From.

Also, i like Kamiya sense of humor.

Silky

Banned

No. Yes, it didn't have split-screen. Yes, it had a really boring campaign. But the multiplayer and the campaign is top-notch, despite the awful netcode. Combat's very deep also. It's very close to being a proper evolution of the beat-em-up, especially Streets of Rage. I mean for fuck's sake you can do THIS

baron_3_by_clifferock-d63osdg.gif

It also has the best Platinum OST.

Use Ai Win and play Death Ball

You guys XD thanks all of you for the kind replies :)

XD :p

Really? XD :)
Yeah lol, was thinking with your PlatinumGames avatar you'll make a thread when you can. What's more I really like your avatar tbh, unique. A greatly made first thread OP =D.

Played through MGR on PC in January, bought a Wii U a month or so ago, got W101 last week (I'm yet to try it as I have other games to play through first) and got this today:
Now I'm just waiting for Bayonetta 2!
The DVD making of documentary is a good watch.

Crazy that we didn't have a thread to worship the gods of action gameplay yet.
God bless you OP and God bless Platinum Games.

Sweet. Platinum thread = insta-sub.

My first introduction to them was with MGR. Everyone kept telling me that it was 2hype4me and I didn't believe them. Man, was I wrong. Still need to play through Bayo, God hand, and Vanquish.

hunnies28

It's funny how I loved most ( by most I mean I haven´t played all of them) of these games before I even knew the pedigree they had. Hell, I didn't even know that PG and Clover were related at all.

BTW, why is Infinite Space so expensive? And how would you guys react if Nintendo buys the studio?

Well, the only reason I bought a Wii U was in order to play W101 and Bayo 2, and I'm not the type who would spend money like that in general.

I guess that means I "kinda" like P* games? I think it does.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Platinum, nearly the last honest Japanese developer bigger than a breadbox. Some think they're overrated, and the fans do sometimes overdo it selling them. But context is king: Platinum is pretty much doing what nobody else is doing today.

It's a big credit to them that even when their games are flawed or average (by some high standards), they're interesting. There's something about any Clover/Platinum game that a lot of people can love.

hughesta

Banned

anyways, as pissed as i am about bayonetta 2 being a Wii-U exclusive, a friend of mine live about 45 seconds away from me has one, and I have informed him multiple times I will be coming over to play it once it drops.
you should probably just buy a Wii U, there's no way you'll be able to see everything there is to see in Bayo 2 (Not to mention TW101) at a friend's place.

I'm playing through Bayonetta for the fifth time right now and I can never get over how excellent this game is.

nicanica

UNITE UP!

edit: fuck is there a community that still plays anarchy reigns?
I remember the last time I just left it on matchmaking for half a day as bull and didn't get ANY connections :(

Top Bottom