• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play-Asia says SJWs to blame for DOAX3 not coming west

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Seems like they stand to make money from this not getting a western release. Also an english language asia version is news to me. Ps4 is region free right?

Both sides?

One side prevented the other from enjoying a video game. A video game.

Not like it was going to sell much anyway.

If by one side you mean 'Koei Tecmo made it somewhat more inconvenient and expensive for dudes to ogle virtual tits,' then yeah, one side totally prevented the other from getting a videogame at US GameStops.

Griss

I called the last OP out for misrepresenting their intentions of T-K by making it sound like they used feminism as a scapegoat to their business decision...

But oh my god Play-Asia.

I checked their twitter. This shit is the real deal. Holy god damn. I didn't think you could both throw feminism and YOUR OWN PROSPECTIVE AUDIENCE under the bus in a single tweet. That's such a master stroke of terribad that I'm not even mad. I'm actually quite impressed. Some gave T-K the benifit of the doubt that this business decision wouldn't be influenced by backlash so let's see how this plays out for Play-Asia.

I don't get it... they didn't mention feminism and they didn't throw their audience under the bus?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I seriously don't know if this was foolish or brilliant.
Imagine a guy irl saying out loud, about yet another video game series with busty female characters, "Too sexist, how about too sexy?" unironically and you have your answer.

Dio

Banned
Better alternatives to Play-Asia:

HMV Japan
Amiami

Pay Japanese retail prices, and considering the current exchange rate, you get an even bigger advantage.

Yeah, going to Play-Asia means you're going to pay more. It's a common mistake to make when you get into importing - Amiami has always charged way less and has been really nice/gotten me my stuff really quickly.

Play-Asia is one of those sites that people go to when they're too lazy to do any more research and eat the extra cost.

Still not the same thing as an actual localization let alone an actual release overseas which is what people are complaining about for whatever reason. X3 was never going to sell well so they just made a business decision.

The business approach they're taking to this (the election campaign) and the number of characters show that it's not a big budget title, so they're unlikely to lose money on the venture. My initial point was that there's going to be an English version of the game, it's just that it's not going to be released in western countries. That really doesn't have anything to do with how the previous versions sold. If anything, i'd imagine the previous versions sold more in the west than they did in Japan due to the fact that they were Xbox exclusive.

Chindogg

So was there even any source on this game not being brought to the west outside of Nichegamer, which is a site that was started by Gamergate supporters?

Apparently it was a rep from K-T themselves that mentioned they didn't want to deal with "trends around women in video games in the west" or something like that. Lemme try to find the post.

Tripon

Wtf, no way this tweet is real? Like even if you believe that is the case, you can't be that tone deaf to potentially offend a group of people that would potentially buy from you.

Zabi

Banned
I find this funny because last night I decided to look at their store page on DOAX3 and Moe Chronicle since they are the only games I know of that are only available in English as Asia imports. The descriptions for them are hilariously over the top. Apparently, the people running the store decided to give a over the top description that plays up the fact that you need to import it in order to play it in English.

Briarios

We got Monster Monpiece ... and "SJWs" are why we don't get this? BS ... we don't get this because they don't think they can make money on it, pure and simple. If they thought they could make a profit, we'd get it -- end of story.

Are we really going to stick to the sales talk. Koei has pretty much localized every single game they have for years now. We're getting an action rpg that's borderline yuri that's probably going to sell like shit in march.

Imagine a guy irl saying out loud, about yet another video game series with busty female characters, "Too sexist, how about too sexy?" unironically and you have your answer.

Again, given who the people are they're obviously trying to appeal to...

I'm not saying I'm in favor of it, I'm saying that this was probably a really good way to get people to buy it? Maybe? I don't know!

tearsofash

I just want to play games with jiggly boobs and hot girls. I'm very lonely. :(

Not sure why Play-Asia had to make it political.

klee123

Lol lose business?

I hate to say it, but it's usually controversy like this usually gain more attention.

Fans are going to buy the game anyways.

Temporal Mess

Neo Member
Lol. Well, that's one way to lose a bit of business. And probably a good way to gain a bit more from conservative types who previously didn't give a damn about DOA.

There are plenty of anime titty games that do get NA releases. Many of them have also have much better mechanics than DOAX.

hiex_

Banned
They're not wrong, a dev even said they're not releasing out of fear of backlash, considering the crazy amounts of puritanism and anti-sex going on at the moment. They should release it anyway, but I can't blame them for backing out.

L Thammy

Not a fan of the series and not terribly sad that it coming out here. That said, why are people angry at the tweets?

Because there is no all-powerful SJW coalition that will destroy this or any other game.

I guess people in the west can shit on it for being misogynistic, but it's not going to change anything in japan.

They line up around the block for hentai games for fucks sake. It's a different planet.

Does that actually happen? I thought eroge was still pretty small, and they tend to remove the sex scenes when they move onto a more mainstream format.

Are we really going to stick to the sales talk. Koei has pretty much localized every single game they have for years now. We're getting an action rpg that's borderline yuri that's probably going to sell like shit in march.
Again, where have you seen mass resistance to this game? More so than any other game to the point where KT is scared to release it?

What do they think will happen, their phones will explode due to the influx of angry tweets? A bunch of people with no power to affect their sales will remain completely ineffective?

It's a smart move for both Play Asia and Koei Tecmo because there are a lot of people who will spite buy things because they think it's somehow really showing those dastardly ol' Ess-Jay-Dubyas a thing or two, so they'll rush out to purchase a bad game at a premium import price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom